Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Here's one I haven't played in forever.

It was a super old computer game, I think it was DOS era, maybe Win95, but I'm also pretty sure it was on a Mac, so this was a pre-OSX game.
You were a fish, and you had to like swim around and eat algae and fight other fish and survive.

Eventually you'd like die or eat enough to reproduce or something and you'd go to the next level, but you could add mutations to your offspring. I remember there was an electric eel ability that seemed pretty cool, or like you could go faster or something? It was ages ago. I just remember being a fish in some mac game, and upgrading to have electricity powers.

In retrospect it seems a whole lot like the first part of Spore. It was 2D though, and the whole game was just fish underwater.
Makes me wanna play Oregon Trail and Kidpix.
Odell Lake or the sequel, Odell Down Under

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Colonel posted:

The last game that comes to mind, I remember this because it loving terrified me. It had you in a hospital, with lots of pictures and detailed descriptions of things, and you could go outside but there was nothing but darkness, grass and the moon. Inside, you could start a timed game where you'd pick from a group of people, and go inside their body and you'd need to find something so you could save their life. It may have been a small part of an overall bigger thing that may have contained a thing with creepy early 90's 3D organs and bones including a heart with explorable insides (basically just hollow clayish insides) and every organ had a really insane CG video exploring the organs with a crazy flying camera.
This is 3D Body Adventure. It came with my family's first PC, a Packard Bell we got in 1994. You would go inside a patient's body and shoot viruses and poo poo. There was indeed an interactive encyclopedia kind of thing that had 3D fly-bys of various body parts/systems. A voice would very loudly announce each part during the fly-by.

LEFT FRONTAL LOBE
PARIETAL LOBE

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Famethrowa posted:

Not nearly as cool as I remembered, but that's definitely it! I distinctly remember the combination lock math problems.

Now I really want to know about the worm game, because that poo poo gave me nightmares.
I loved Operation Neptune as a kid, thanks for bringing it up because I couldn't remember the name either.

I think I found the worm game, it's called Think Quick!

http://www.mobygames.com/game/think-quick

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Heran Bago posted:

There's this Famicom game where you play as four characters. I think one is a mouse and only one is a human (boy?). It was surprisingly good and each had different abilities. One character could walk on walls and I remember being really impressed with the controls for the time period.

Geeze what was it called? My google-fu is not helping.
Little Samson. It is a really good game :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

techknight posted:

Trying to remember a game where the character's model or portrait in the creation screen would barf if you spun it's gaze around a bunch. No other information, but was just reminded of it when spinning a character around in an MMO creation screen.
You can do this in Metal Gear Solid 3 and it's a valid way of curing Snake of food poisoning.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

ok I've got another one. A PSX game, it was a third-person action game where you controlled a spaceman with big hair (I think). You ran around firing ray guns at aliens or soldiers or something. I also remember the controls being really bad, but that may have just been me sucking at it.
Probably Blasto.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Famethrowa posted:

I remember it being close to that, but I don't think that's it
There was an actual Wacky Races game released for the PS2 in Europe, is that it?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

LordHippoman posted:

So, I'm looking for a freeware game, I think it might have been goon-made?

It was a pretty obvious send-up to the Suikoden games, where you could recruit a lot of characters and had RPG battles. The art style was a lot more on the "realistic" end than the anime-ish Suikodens, though. I think it started with you as some kind of prince or noble or something who gets framed as a traitor while knocked out and waking up in some lovely village in the middle of nowhere? I remember having it on my old laptop, getting kinda into it, and then having that computer die on me.
This is Exit Fate, and yeah it's goon-made though I forget who the goon is. He made another more traditional RPG too called Last Scenario that was pretty decent too.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's probably Thrilla's Surfari for the NES, you play as a gorilla and you skate and surf through levels with a lot of verticality (the first level is a jungle). Warning: it's a pretty bad game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

President Ark posted:

Super Nintendo game my brother rented once. Sidescrolling platformer, the main character was some genius inventor kid who accidentally shrunk himself and was going through his house to get the parts to his machine or something. Early on there was a boss level where you fought a rat in a bathtub or a sink or something.
Harley's Humongous Adventure

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

UltraVariant posted:

Some game I had on Windows 99 OS (back in 2001, I think) where you controlled a blonde-haired guy. It was 2D top-down, where you picked up new power-ups to evade hazards like ice and fire on the floor of the level. I think all of the power-ups were shoes or something. Wish I could provide more, but I was only about 5 or 6 when I played it last.
Chip's Challenge?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

No, in this game the transitions were optional. Like, there'd be a giant explosion that'd create a hole in the ground, and you could either fly into the hole (thus starting a horizontal section) or continue on the surface.

Nope, it was a ship-based shmup. I guess not a space ship (or at least the first level was set on a planet), but definitely not dudes with wings.
poo poo, I know exactly the game you're talking about. Let me see if I can remember it...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hey I think I found the game. It's called Terra Force and it's by Nichibutsu who also made Mag Max. Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCjLNijBuPw

It's got the giant rift with a big installation in the first level and giant circular explosions making a crater with a flashing IN sign so you can enter the underground section of the level.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MoaM posted:

SNES Afficianados: What's that one possibly-Japanese game where you drive around as a red or blue car....and you had a "dash-tackle" attack? You basically ram into other cars from a top-down Schmup-like perspective. I believe the first boss on the first level was two 18-wheeler trucks.

Thanks in advance.
Gekitotsu Dangan Jidōsha Kessen: Battle Mobile

http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/gekitotsu-dangan-jidsha-kessen-battle-mobile

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ometeotl posted:

So I'm thinking of a PS1 game, a 3D platformer-ish kind of game where you play as a kid and the concept was that [one of] your parents invented a time machine and then got abducted or trapped in time or otherwise vanished, and the levels were just various time settings, with the hub being the kid's house, just with a bunch of anachronistic stuff like dinosaurs in the playroom and whatnot.
Rascal

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mulloy posted:

I have been trying to find this game for like a decade. All I remember is playing it with a friend on a commodore, and you were an astronaut or looked like one and I think opera was in the title? I remember thinking the music was cool.

Otherwise it was a side scroller or platform game, and you moved sort of like the knights in joust.
Metranaut?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ball Cupper posted:

Ages ago I played a freeware game. It was 2d top-down, and a space combat game. You plan the move that your space ships will make (including firing), and then you hit "go" and the move plays out at the same time as the opponent's moves. It plays for about 3 - 5 seconds, then the next planning bit happens, and so on. What would you call this, simultaneous-turn-based?

I remember there being different types of space ship, and the plan-then-action setup of the game stood out to me, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called! Any ideas?
Critical Mass?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Looking for a simple 80's game that might have originated in the arcade. You are a futuristic runner and try to avoid simple obstacles on your run. Every now and then a can (like a soda can) rolls towards you and you have to jump over it. There is a time limit. You can't shoot. Even the cover art has this soda can on it. It might be called cross runner or something but I didn't find anything with that name. I played it on a 8 bit computer like the CPC.
Metro Cross

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TheGune posted:

That's a good link! I've seen a lot of list on YouTube and some websites, but not this one. *Crossing fingers*
Looking at that list I think it's Metamorphic Force, there's a birdman boss that looks really similar to what you drew at 6:07 in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXfDHpUerHc

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jayo posted:

This is a long shot but it's been bothering me for years so I'll ask

I remember playing a platformer on my dads Amiga in the 90s. It was fairly vertical. The main character wielded a sword and I'm sure his clothes changed colour to reflect his health. I remember that you could do an AOE attack by possibly pressing down and attack but it drained your health to do so. I also remember a skeletal dragon type thing. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Lionheart?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoiHk_3siYg

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jayo posted:

This is a long shot but it's been bothering me for years so I'll ask

I remember playing a platformer on my dads Amiga in the 90s. It was fairly vertical. The main character wielded a sword and I'm sure his clothes changed colour to reflect his health. I remember that you could do an AOE attack by possibly pressing down and attack but it drained your health to do so. I also remember a skeletal dragon type thing. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Actually looking further it's probably Leander

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mROgK7srbDM

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Primetime posted:

I have a weird one from years ago I was just thinking about :

It was a 3/4 isometric game (I think tile based) where you walked around as a pig man with a cane who (I think) vomited on enemies to attack them. I believe the goal was to keep going up in a tower but I have no idea why.

It was on PC, and I played it in the late 90s (98-99 maybe?) No idea where it was from since my dad installed it on our computer randomly.
Lol I googled "isometric game pigman with cane" and I found an archived SA thread from 4 years ago where you asked the same question and someone figured out you were misremembering details from Mystic Towers

http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2855926&userid=153433

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jayo posted:

No that doesn't look familiar at all. I remember the player character being less many. More like link from the zelda series. Thanks though :)

Look up I'm pretty sure it's Leander

Primetime posted:

Wow haha - apparently I also need help remembering that I needed help remembering the name of the game.

To be fair - that guy looks like a pig man

No worries and he totally does

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mordja posted:

Got another game I remember but never actually played. Japanese, top-down SHMUP, early to mid 2000s, saw the review on X-Play. The two things I remember are that the enemies were super weird, like, giant babyheads or something, and that one playable character could turn into a werewolf and pinball around the screen. It might have been part of a series, maybe.

One of the Shikigami games?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Skunkrocker posted:

No, it wasn't any of these. What's messing me up is when I say it looked like Solstice I mean Solstice is what triggered the memory because it seems identical to the game I'm thinking of. I just don't ever remember playing Solstice, I don't remember the box art or anything. It's like when people in this thread mentioned they've seen a game like Shadowgate but it wasn't Shadowgate, and they mean Uninvited or Deja Vu, different games made with the same engine. But I'm guessing I must have just played Solstice and not realized it.

Equinox on the SNES? It was the sequel to Solstice.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Praseodymi posted:

I've been googleing for this game, and apparently I'm not the only one because I'm pretty sure I found at least 2 people looking for the same one and not getting an answer:

The only other thing I remember is that there was a humanoid mushroom enemy that I particularly feared, and some lava dragon things at some point, and I'm pretty sure it was in that sort of dodgy early 3D, so the character's head was a perfect flesh diffuse coloured sphere.

EDIT: And it isn't Mystic Towers, as someone suggested to one of the quotes.

Is it Trial By Magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLe2tOS30b8

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Praseodymi posted:

Nah, I think it was much more kid friendly and brightly coloured and less realistic looking than those. Like, the main character was 40% head.

EDIT: I don't think it was properly isometric, I think the camera was aligned with the grid.

Was it DOS or Windows

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hexplore? It's got a purple wizard as one of the characters

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Floodkiller posted:

I'm failing to remember the name of a 3D FPS/vehicular combat game for PC; I believe it came out before 2001, but I'm not 100% sure. I think it was apocalypse themed, and there are two missions that I remember from it: one at least halfway through the game where you have a bomb strapped to your car and you are on a timed mission to drive across a desert-like road to get to a garage that can disarm it, and a final mission where you defend a base from a large amount of enemy cars using turrets on the walls.

Redline?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PSWII60 posted:

Trying to help someone remember a game but I didn't play much SHMUPS in the 90's. This was a mid 1990's vertical SHMUP that was set in space, colorful, and the 1st boss (or at least an early boss) turned into a snake or was snake like. Any ideas? She had an NES, SNES, and Genesis so possibly for one of those systems.

EDIT: there was a second one where you were inside a small rocket navigating maz-ish level. You had pick up fuel, but avoid hitting the walls. there were turrets? on the walls occasionally shooting at you. I can picture this one but can't remember the name.

The second one is probably Solar Jetman for the NES

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Myth: History in the Making?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0-5MzGuRGQ

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zeerust posted:

I remember playing this game in an arcade in Portugal in the mid-90s. It was a sidescrolling action game, player 1 was a black-haired guy in a red gi and the player 2 character was a blonde-haired guy in a blue gi.

It had a really Gigeresque level and enemy design, with the level I remember being this facility with monster monster bodies embedded in the walls, and the enemies I remember were women in techno-organic armour. The first boss was some kind of turtle-man in a multi-layered arena where you had to get to his front to deal damage.

I also remember there was a horizontal shmup-style level where you were flying through space Dragonball-style and blowing up monsters.

This has haunted me for about 20 years. :stare:

Was it side-scrolling like a 2D platformer or like a Final Fight-type beat em up?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zeerust posted:

I remember playing this game in an arcade in Portugal in the mid-90s. It was a sidescrolling action game, player 1 was a black-haired guy in a red gi and the player 2 character was a blonde-haired guy in a blue gi.

It had a really Gigeresque level and enemy design, with the level I remember being this facility with monster monster bodies embedded in the walls, and the enemies I remember were women in techno-organic armour. The first boss was some kind of turtle-man in a multi-layered arena where you had to get to his front to deal damage.

I also remember there was a horizontal shmup-style level where you were flying through space Dragonball-style and blowing up monsters.

This has haunted me for about 20 years. :stare:

Yo, for some reason I really wanted to try to figure out what game this is, and I finally did. It's called Thunder Hoop 2 or TH Strikes Back.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/th-strikes-back

It apparently doesn't emulate very well but I found a full playthrough video on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSfqhtAM9a0

It has everything you described - the flashback intro in a lab with the scientist escaping, the red and blue main characters, the techno-organic armor women, the turtle man first boss, the weird Gigeresque poo poo, and the shmup levels.

EDIT: It was developed by a Spanish company called Gaelco which would explain why you had it in Portugal

Pablo Nergigante fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 17, 2017

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

euthy posted:

Help - does anybody remember a 90s Mac game where you slowly turn into a human/mantis hybrid? It's a top down RPG. There's one stage where you turn into a giant bee to infiltrate a huge bee hive.

Entomorph: Plague of the Darkfall

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FrumpleOrz posted:

Okay, so I'm trying to remember an old PC game I never actually played even though I owned it because I couldn't get it to run on my computer when I was a young kid. The box art was very orange and yellow overall and the main image was like four or five space mercenary-looking characters who were animals all standing next to each other. I believe one of the characters was a hawk or eagle of some sort. The only other thing I remember about it was it came on five 3.5" floppy disks and I bought it in the clearance section of Media Play in the early to mid 90s. It's a long shot but maybe someone knows what it is.

That sounds exactly like the box art to Alien Solider, but that was a Genesis game and also never released in the US

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

THE BAR posted:

A Halloween-themed "game" (I would more call it a piece of interactive software).

It was on the Macintosh Classic, you had a single screen with a door and a bowl of candy on a table. Sometimes there would be a knock, and children would be on the other side, demanding candy. You could give in to their demands, but that would lower your candy bowl, which replenished slowly. Alternatively, you could slam the door on them. Slam it too often, and a witch would come knocking instead, giving you a game over.

Halloween Night or its sequel

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mimir posted:

I saw this ad online in some thread and it stuck with me, what's the game?

There are six panels, and in each one this kid is stuck because the game is incredibly difficult. He misses his high school graduation because he's stuck on the third level. By the end, he's old and withered and only hanging on because he has to beat the final boss. It's a cartoony ad, he has a joystick.

Any ideas?

I specifically remember this ad from reading Gamepro as a kid, it was Equinox for SNES

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Yup Ares thats it. And your description of the second one sounds exactly like what I'm thinking of.

It's called Missions of the Reliant

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's Nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arson Fire posted:

There was a game I played on one of those shareware cds, probably around the late 90's.
It was a sidescrolling 2D platformer/puzzle game, where you played as a guy with a mallet. You had to smash apart stacks of barrels in order to collapse parts of the level, with the goal of clearing the entire stage of smashable objects. I recall it was very easy to break things in the wrong order, and have to reset the level because you got stuck. There might have been a two player mode to it as well.

I also recall it had a demo reel of the full version, featuring shorts clips of gameplay with an assortment of more exotic hammers.

Sorry it's not much to go on. The name of this game has been bugging me for ages.

Pretty sure it's Trash It

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEdvEEexcJE