Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Serperoth posted:

Also, this one is probably easier: XBox (original) game, kart racer, you had the usual weapons, as well as a baseball bat you could use at any time. Also taunts and stunts IIRC.

Cel Damage?

e:f;b.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Trying to remember a PC game from the mid 90s. Pretty sure it was Windows 95 and DOS compatible.

It was like Asteroids but full 3d movement in a big spherical arena, and there were other ships trying to kill you on most (all?) levels. Like Asteroids, the asteroids would break up into smaller and smaller pieces when you shot them, and you could collect money tokens from them when you blew them up. You could spend money between levels to upgrade your guns and shields etc. You could also eject from your ship if you were going to die (dying was a game over) but that'd mean having to spend money on a new ship. The soundtrack featured Pop Will Eat Itself and Sugar Ray.

If I'm not mixing up memories, it also came with these special 3d glasses. They're not like modern polarised ones but they're not the old red/blue things either. The graphics weren't much better than Descent but the 3d effect was really impressive for the time.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Oh wow yeah that's much uglier than I remember. Thanks!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

VoLaTiLe posted:

This has bugged me for a long time it was a demo on either PC gamer or PC Zone in the 90s.

It was basically a top down, turn based, sports game in space, you could make you're team with humans, these big aliens, lizard aliens and small dudes.

They all had different stats and could move longer or shorter squares depending. You had to get the ball in different baskets around the arena.

Now this was NOT mutant football league or speedball. I believe it had some management options too.

I have looked everywhere I know if I had the name though it will be known as it was addictive as hell

Crush Deluxe

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

VoLaTiLe posted:

You sir are a legend!

I can't believe it I have looked for that game for years?!

How did you remember it?

Or was it more popular than I thought?

I think I had the same pc gamer demo disc, but I'm sure I ended up with the full version at some point. Also I was trying to remember it myself a few weeks ago and stumbled across it.

edit: I definitely had the full version, because I remember hotseat multiplayer which apparently was only in the paid version and not the shareware.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 13, 2018

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Bob Morlock posted:

Tower of the Ancients, maybe?

Thank you for answering the question I hadn't asked! That game looked really quite cool at the time, and I was addicted for a while in the very early 2000s

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Trying to remember a Gauntlet type game I played in the 90s. It looked a lot like Quake, but viewed from above. Pretty sure it had support for early Voodoo cards if you ran it in Windows 95/98 instead of DOS. It might even have used the Quake engine, as I remember it looking really similar. It was fully 3d, so stages could have different levels of height. Might have been shareware as I think there were several episodes, like Quake, but I only remember playing one of them and don't recall paying for it.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Mageslayer possibly, I've played it a lot as a kid and that sounds about right.

e: if I was mistaken by what you meant when you mentioned Gauntlet, then it could have also been Take no Prisoners which used the same engine

Hmm yeah it was probably Mageslayer, thanks! The textures all look really familiar but I could've sworn that the player and enemies were polygon models rather than sprites. That's most likely me just misremembering though.

I'm a sucker for Gauntlet type games.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm having a tough time finding this game I had as a kid on an old DOS PC.

It was a very primitive Mechwarrior/Battletech TYPE of game, but I am like 90% sure it's not actually affiliated with that franchise.

It all took place in a small 3D arena, and was just 1v1 against an AI robot (I think it had primitive online/LAN tech to play against another person, but I can't recall.)

It had very simple polygon graphics (no textures, just solid colors), which is still impressive considering it ran on an old 3x86 with 4 MB of RAM, no video card.

You started the game with a very basic mech "shell" and X amount of dollars you used to upgrade it, and there were several weapons to choose from like lasers, autocannons, missiles, etc... as well as upgrades for the armor, reactor, and whatnot. As you won matches, you got more money to get better upgrades, and I think even better "blank" mechs that had more slots for weapons and could carry heavier armor and whatnot.

I remember the start of each match would have a floating "referee" bot that came down, counted down from 3 to 1, and then flew back up and you were the face to face with the opponent. Most matches were actually over pretty quick because, surprise surprise, when you start fain the other guy the best strat. is to just open fire with every weapon at once and hope to blow him up before he runs away.

This sounds a lot like Metaltech: Battledrome, which I had on a 386. It wasn't completely untextured though.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 18, 2019

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Man I loved In Memoriam. It was properly creepy at the time, when you started getting threats from the killer in your inbox.

Now all I have to do is go on Twitter for my fix of anonymous death threats.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Beezle posted:

What up! Trying to find a game from the mid 90s, probably on the Amiga, which was a turn based top-down alien/monster footballesque sports game. Like mutant league games youd have different combos of monsters that were good or bad at certain things, like a frog that could move really far but couldn't hold the ball for poo poo. Also you could give your team performance enhancing drugs between matches. Any ideas?

Not Amiga but Crush Deluxe fits this description. It wasn't performance enhancing drugs though, but "illegal equipment" you could buy for players to boost them.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Beezle posted:

Yes! Crush Deluxe, that's the one. Thanks, that was proper doing my head in!

That's the second or third time I've answered that one :)

Edit: I'm trying to remember a side scrolling game on pc from the late 80s or early 90s.

Player character was a person in a space suit. I think it took place on the moon but there were trees (?) and there enemies were birds. Had classical music for the soundtrack.

Had EGA graphics and I keep thinking of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure but it's definitely earlier and less detailed than that. Was almost certainly shareware we got from a magazine because buying new games was very rare for me then.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 22, 2020

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

pumpinglemma posted:

The Adventures of Captain Comic?

Yeah this is it, cheers!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Pierzak posted:

Early Windows (3.11 or early 95) era. Top-down shooter where the setting was inside your computer, i.e. the levels were pulled from your actual directory structure and you had to defend your files against viruses and other stuff. I remember it had a racing mode (or mod?) where you could pull tight turns using a grappling hook.

Virus: The Game
Edit: oh wait you said top down, sorry.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 1, 2021

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

I think there were a few different versions of COTW with slightly different graphics but I'm not 100%

Castle of the Winds used .ico files for its graphics so you could import your own icon to represent your hero. Thus my friend and I beat that entire game as a giant penis with a sword.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

timp posted:

It was a top-down 2D fantasy dungeon crawler game, one of those ones where everybody moves one square at a time. I remember fighting skeletons for sure, and maybe goblins and snakes.

You were able to equip specific armor parts all over your body; helm, breastplate, gauntlets, bracelet, ring, etc. and I remember one of the few times I got deep enough into a dungeon to find a cool helm, I put it on and it was actually cursed and lowered my AC or something and I couldn't take it off.

It was overall a pretty bright game. I remember a lot of light greys, and maybe the main character was blonde? It wasn't a dark, caverny dungeon-crawler. I think the first level was more like a castle.

This sounds almost exactly like thread favourite Castle of the Winds, but that was for Windows 3 rather than DOS.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

timp posted:

This does indeed look very, very familiar, but I'm not sure that's it. It could be but I'm not 100% (I definitely don't know the difference between Windows 3 and DOS so it could have been for a different ancient computer system)

I did remember one more thing about my mystery game though: at one point I got some equipment made out of "cobalt", like armor or a bow or some arrows or something. It was the first time I ever heard that word and I remember going to look it up as a result. Searching "Castle of the Winds cobalt" doesn't return anything

Unless you're thinking of the word 'kobold' I am not sure, then, sorry! Can't think of any RPGs with cobalt equipment.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

timp posted:

After playing around with this more, it absolutely must be the game I was thinking of. It doesn't all seem familiar, but enough of it does for me to consider this solved. Thanks!

Haha, glad I could help. It's probably the most asked-after game in this thread. I loved that game so much back in the day.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I had Indiana Jones' Desktop Adventures and only a demo of Yoda Stories. Used the wav files from the games for all the windows system and a start up/shut down sounds.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Trying to remember two racing games from the very early 90s, must've been 91 or 92 at the latest.

1) Very arcadey racing game, quite a lot like Outrun but there was stuff on the road like roadworks, oil slicks and jumps. It was the same kind of 2d driving game as Outrun but iirc you could make 90 degree turns at some intersections which could sometimes be shortcuts. Pretty certain you could drive as a police car because I remember the annoying siren sound pissing my parents off.

2) More of a simulation racer - 3d, driver's-eye view. Flat, textureless polygons for everything - a bit like Stunts/4D Driving but with more colours and more polygons. Not sure if there were any opponents, might have just been time trials. The controls were really complicated - there were multiple buttons for turning depending on how far you wanted to turn the steering wheel. All the cars were high-end luxury sports cars like Ferarri, Porsche, Lamborghini and Lotus. I remember being absolutely blown away by this game.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

wb posted:

cisco heat?

That's the one, thanks!

SkeletonHero posted:

This is almost definitely one of the early Test Drives. Probably 3 going by the time frame.

Looks really similar visually to what I remember but I don't think it was this. Pretty sure there were more cars than this - I'm 99% sure there was a Lotus you could drive.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think this is Car and Driver. It’s got a Lotus Esprit and the mobygames reviews mention the bizarre controls

Oh yeah, this is definitely it, thank you!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

It was Crush Deluxe

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Vague one as this is a memory of when I was very young: DOS game, probably around 1990-1991. First person perspective, primitive flat polygons. You wake up in a room with a couple of coffins. If you open one of them you get attacked by a ghost (I think?) and the other one had a key to leave the room, but then there are more coffins that make you get attacked. I don't think I ever got past the second room but spent weeks trying to figure out what I was supposed to do (I might have been a very dumb six year old).

Definitely before Wolfenstein 3d game out because I don't think I ever tried to figure this game out again after I played Wolfenstein and realised 1st person games could be good.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

MMAgCh posted:

Castle Master II: The Crypt looks very similar to what you describe.

Holy poo poo that's it. That was fast. No idea why this popped into my head this evening. Was googling '3d first person game coffins' and such and couldn't find it.
I might watch that LP of it because I'm pretty certain if I try to play it I'm just going to be angry all over again.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Pierzak posted:

Someone remind me the title of an 80s fighting game that had a unique control scheme - twin sticks instead of stick+ buttons, the second stick was for attacks and functioned like 4 buttons. IIRC it had a cameo in some big martial arts movie of the time.

Karate champ? That's the only fighting game with two sticks I remember other than Virtual On, which was a decade later

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

emSparkly posted:

A game with vector graphics where the player character is a stick figure. I swear it was a real vector graphics based game and not one stylized to look that way. So it's probably old as dirt.

I hope it's a real game and not something I saw on a video.

N / N+ / N++?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

It doesn't quite match up with your description (because you said no vertical scrolling or weapons) but I'm going to say Castle of the Winds anyway, because there's like a 90% chance of that being the right answer when someone is interested in a top-down RPG-ish game that ran in a window in the early-mid 90s.