Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

AnotherBodak posted:

A text adventure game, free (or shareware, fairly certain it was free though) to download from an internet site.

Name was possibly of the "something" of "something" format.

From the first screen there was a bar/pub. Inside, you could play darts, or recruit a retard (literally) to follow you and serve as a henchman.

Heading north, there was a castle, with a drawn drawbridge, guarded by vampires.

The game used multicoloured text.

The only text adventure I can think of with a "_____ of _____" naming convention would be Guild of Thieves, but I'm not really that familiar with it, so I can't say if your description fits it.

airspiritx posted:

When I was 6 or so I played a platformer on the SNES where you were caveman or similar who had to save a princess/his girlfriend; you got different-colored armor (maybe weapons too?) as you went and the gold armor was best. Any ideas?

Funny story about this game: I was borrowing it from a friend when I played it and it taught me what the word "delete" meant. Oops.

This could possibly be Leander (which was known as Galahad's Quest, or something like it, on the SNES), though you weren't a caveman by any stretch of the imagination in that (but as you said, you wore armor). The Amiga original is one of my favorites, so even if this isn't what you were looking for, it's worth checking out, if only for the great music.

Captain_duck posted:

Anyway a game ive looked for myself a lot, and asked before in other threads here but havent gotten the correct anwser yet is an old game. It's for one of those old "computer in a keyboard" type computers like the commodore 64 or MSX or any other type. Im sure it wasn't a spectravideo because i had that one myself. The game itself is a helicopter game, you fly a helicopter through a series of caves. I remember there being pretty big maps, and it got pretty tough to get through some parts.

This kind of reminds me of the C64 version of the Airwolf game, if that's any help.
I know there was another game in the same vein by reLine for the Amiga, but I'll be damned if I can remember it's name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Captain_duck posted:

Now this gets me somewhere. Thanks to reline i googled and found 2 games,

Spaceport: http://www.lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php%3Fid%3D982

And through that i found this:

Fortress Underground: http://www.lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php%3Fid%3D2401

Maybe it was one of these clones. Cant play em now but ill try em when i get home.

Actually, that Spaceport link lead me to this http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemon64.com/reviews/view.php%3Fid%3D366 which seems to fit your descriptive image really well, unless you've already seen that and ruled it out.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Sweeper posted:

I know this is an old thread, but I can't remember the name of a game! It is an old racing game where you flew flying car type of things and one of the tracks looked like it was in egypt or something. The flying car racing is what I remember the most. Also, it was in 3d, not 2d.

Are you thinking of Slipstream 5000 by any chance? http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/slipstream-5000

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Hockles posted:

There was a futuristic racing game that I played on the PC in the early/mid 90s, and it was like you were on a game show and racing to save your life or something. I remember that a couple of the prizes you won were "A night out with yourself" and a book written by the host of the show.

That sounds like Megarace to me, but I can't be sure, I never played it (it does come up a lot in these threads) http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/megarace

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

FukFallingDamage posted:

It was featured as a demo in an old issue of PC Gamer and it involved floating islands going around and shooting at each other. I know nothing else.

You might be thinking of Netstorm, if it was an RTS. http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/netstorm-islands-at-war

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

dmkmills posted:

I'll take a shot at asking about one...

There was an old PC game (in the like 286/386 era) that was about the Knights of the Round Table and all the legends in that era (Merlin, Excalibur, etc)... the game came with a big map with coat-of-arms banners along the outside that served as the copy protection.

You recruited people from that era and you could then pick areas on the map to go to where it would be a kind of 2-D King's Quest looking side view with all of your people. And usually you would get your rear end kicked by something there.

Also I think you could find Merlin but he was frozen in ice or something.

It was really hard, but pretty fun, I'd like to at least see if I can find the title to read/remember more about it.

The only thing I can think of that sort of fits, is the Sierra Inc. game Conquest of Camelot: The Search for The Grail. http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/conquests-of-camelot-the-search-for-the-grail

The only problem is, I don't remember much of it, apart from leaving the castle without praying in the chapel made you die, because the castle gate would fall on you as you left, so I'm not really sure it's the one you're after.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

RC Demoral posted:

Ok, I have one, this is an older game:

You played as... earth fighting the martians in a space sim. It would have a system view where you'd build fighters and such, and when you fought you'd take control. The graphics must have been really bad, probably early 90's?

All I remember is you finally defeat them, but the game would keep on going. After a looong amount of days, the martians would come back with a HUGE FUCKOFF ARMADA. I just remember having not saved, saying WTF and quitting.

That game was fun as hell.

This sounds like it could be either Millenium 2.0 or Deuteros, basically the same games, only Deuteros was an updated version with nicer graphics and interface.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Sanford posted:

That image just screams Kilrathi to me, is it possible you've conflated the Wing Commander games with another series somehow? If not, this sounds like it should be Wing Commander, but I don't remember you ever flying for the Kilrathi in those.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

It's not Star Crusader by any chance? I ask because I've been looking through Mobygames and came across this image, and it reminded me of your picture: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/star-crusader/screenshots/gameShotId,320931/

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Anjow posted:

I'm thinking of an old (pre-1990, probably) PC game that involved being a character that dug through levels - it was like Dig Dug in that the level was filled with earth and when you moved him to a space it removed the earth.

You had to collect diamonds on each level and there were stones that could be pushed and would fall, so you had to be careful you didn't inadvertently block off areas. If there was a stone on a bit of earth you could remove that earth and have the stone on top of you, but if a stone fell on you from 1 square above then it would kill you, so you couldn't move downwards once a stone was on top of you. On some levels there was a fungus that would keep expanding into any free space. There was an egg that, if disturbed, would release something that could come and kill you. That egg could be destroyed by pushing rocks onto it. The character looked a bit like Kirby.

Are you sure you didn't play Emerald Mine on an old Amiga or Commodore 64? Because that game had all those things, apart from the main character looking like Kirby I guess.

Either way, thank you for reminding me of Emerald Mine, I used to play the poo poo out of that game as a kid.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

MazriM TaiM posted:

I played a game during the 90s on the old Pentium 133mHz and loved the hell out of it, but can't find it anymore. It was a space flight shooter in 3D, you had full range of movement and would travel through wormholes or portals to other systems to fight enemy ships (typical weapon systems like guns, missles etc). There was a story line to it that was pretty good and there was some massive ships you had to fight at times that I can remember. The only other thing I can remember is launching from your ship at the beginning of the mission, and the great graphics at the time. Best use of my flight stick ever.

I know it's not much to work off of, but if anyone has any ideas please post them. Thanks!

Let me just throw a few names out and see what sticks:

Wing Commander?
X-Wing/Tie-Fighter?
Freespace 1/2?

Any of those three would fit some or all of the criteria, but my guess is Freespace

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Morpheus posted:

So I'm looking for a game that looks almost exactly like Dungeon Master in every way, except that the graphics were better. Also, each character had a face next to their hands. I remember the art of these faces being very...what's the word...soft? There weren't any hard lines, it was very soft shading. I don't remember anything else, since I sucked at the game, unfortunately. Oh, the 'hand' icons were also colored in, not the line-art stuff in these screenshots I'm seeing.

What year was this, can you give a close approximation? There's been quite a lot of games in that vein over the years.

Some examples have already been said, such as Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Hack, but what about Black Crypt?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/black-crypt

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Grawl posted:

This is some Amiga/Lynx game. It has small sprites, it's a platformer, and (some of) it takes place in a forest. It's not giana sisters and it doesn't even look like it. Sadly, that's all I can remember.

This isn't really a lot to go on, but at a guess I'd say Elf, perhaps?
http://www.mobygames.com/game/elf

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Capilarean posted:

I've got a bit of an obscure one. It's an old game,2D isometric strategy/RPG game,where you played this wizard guy and a big point of the game was that you could summon monsters to fight for you. That's about all I remember aside from the fact that your health was represented by a character portrait and there was a bit of a gimmick where the portrait would age as you progressed in the game.

This could be any of the Druid series of games, which are Druid, Druid II: Enlightenment and Warlock: The Avenger

The only game that has a face anywhere in the UI is Warlock, however it's not the actual health meter as I remember it.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Loquitor posted:

This is bit vague, but I remember back in 1990ish seeing a computer game running in a shop, but all I saw was one screen and it was a picture of a toilet with teeth - it was a pretty big picture so my brain thinks that it was either a cut scene, or the game was some kind of adventure game. I'm also pretty sure it was on an Amiga or an Atari ST.

That is literally all of the information I have about the game, but I have been periodically and casually searching for this game for the past 5 years on google images to find it, and putting toilet with teeth into google image search can really hurt your mind sometimes.

It's not one of the Jet Set Willy games, is it? I've got vague memories of being chased by toilets in those games.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Crowetron posted:

So, this is pretty vague, but I remember this game I played when I was a kid on the Super Nintendo. I think it was an RPG, because I remember this weird world map of these little metal buildings connected by walkways (I think?), on top of a red, lava-ish landscape. I think it had some sort of Mode 7 effect going on. And I think all the buildings were named after body parts, like "The Head" or "The Brain" or something?

This sounds a lot like the futuristic area in Secret of Evermore to me.

Here's a picture of the overworld map, shortly before crashing into some city.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

TabulaRasa posted:

Here's a request...

A PC Windows games from around 1994-95 I'd guess.

It was a futuristic driver, your car looked like an old jalopy that had been converted into a hover car. Most others looked the same I think. You would drive in these canals, hard to explain but basically the bottom was flat and the walls were on 45 degree angles so you could drive up on the walls if you wished.

You would run different kinds of missions and your car was loaded up with weapons and poo poo. I think you could choose what kind of weapons before missions, though I don't recall exactly.

Overall the areas looked real trashy and gritty.

I'm guessing this is Slipstream 5000

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

al-azad posted:

This just came to me. Top down arcade co-op game from the late 80s that graphically looks like the original Metal Gear. You ran around blowing up robots and disabling bombs in military bases before moving onto the next level. It had a neat sticky cover system unseen in games at the time. The most telling detail was the console box art which had two dudes firing machine guns amidst a giant explosion with a monkey holding a flamethrower or smoking a cigar or something. The demon Baphomet, complete with pentagram on his forehead, stood behind the two Rambo-like dudes and I think he was the penultimate boss.

Honestly, I just want to see that drat cover again because it's amazing.

I kinda want to say Ikari Warriors, but I don't remember Baphomet being on the arcade machine OR a monkey with a flamethrower smoking a cigar, otherwise it rings all the bells for me.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

PotU posted:

I'm not quite sure, but I believe at last year's E3 some game was announced that was either a third or a first person shooter and I think also an MMO. It looked a lot like a mix between Borderlands and Tribes and from what I remember it played somewhere in the future on some random planet. They showed a scene where some dudes were digging for something and had to defend that digging tool from aliens. After that they boarded some space ship and flew to a city. At the end of the demonstration the city got attacked and they had to defend it.

I just can't remember the name of it at all.

This is probably Firefall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x23fkDB9rW8

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Do y'all know of any old sci-fi submarine combat games from a ways back? I never played it but I remember reading about it and thinking it sounded really cool. I think it got praised for having good graphics. It probably turned out it really sucked or something but its a cool idea for a game at least.

Silent Hunter series of games, maybe?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

What is that mostly text-based PC game where you play a student at a Harry Potter-inspired magic academy? There was a thread about this game maybe two years ago, and I've long since forgotten the title.

You might be thinking of the Spellcasting 101 series of games.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/spellcasting-101-sorcerers-get-all-the-girls

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

duckfarts posted:

PC futuristic racing game around 2000 I'm guessing, needed a 3D card. It had long tracks with no edges, and your cars were fast and had slightly slide-y, which made the learning curve kind of steep. The first track was a highway at night kind of level, and I usually picked a green or green/white car probably because it was the easiest to manage. I think it may have been a weapon-free game also. I keep thinking it was called MegaRace, but I don't think that's right(that's the older racing game).

This is probably silly, but it's not one of the Wipeout games? They were out for PC as well as the playstation.

That aside, there's a bunch of racing games in the hover/slide-y style that all came out around 2000 (largely thanks to Wipeout, really). Looking through Mobygames, I can see Freeride Thrash, Killer Loop and Megarace 3, the latter which I didn't even know existed.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

duckfarts posted:

Nah, not wipeout; it was PC only and the slide-y bit was more how it played vs how it was advertised. All the cars were still cars, what with wheels and all.

E: found it on MobyGames(didn't know you could search it like you mentioned:stare:); 1998 - Dethkarz, and it did have weapons. It was really difficult, but rewarding once you got the hang of it.

Haha, well poo poo, I even looked at Dethkarz but thought "naah, too early?" and called it a day.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

It's not one of the Heroes of Might & Magic games?

Edit: Also, if you can remember, it's a lot easier to guess what you're after if you have the decade or even year it happened.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

It was an Amiga game where you controlled robots to do something on a spaceship or space station. I think you controlled various pairs of robots in order to solve puzzles. The view was top down and I remember one of the pairs of robots were a blue and a red set that were magnetic. I think it involved cooling reactors or cleaning waste. The view was top down. I think there was also a PC port or it was originally a PC game. It was late 80s early 90s.

This, my friend, is Quadralien. http://www.mobygames.com/game/quadralien

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Yip Yips posted:

Some months ago I saw a video of an indie metroidvania with a focus on growing stronger each run as you tried to get further and further into a castle before dying. Ideas?

That sounds like Rogue Legacy.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

No, it's neither, although stylistically the graphics are similar to Ruff n Tumble. A lot sparser, though. I also remember it having that characteristic Amiga gradient sky palette.

It's not The Misadventures of Flink?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Nah that's way later model, much more advanced than the thing I'm looking for. It's closer in look to Yo! Joe.

Man, I miss your Shadow of the Beast avatar. Took me way too long to realise who I was helping out. You probably know more about this than I do anyway. :haw:

Edit: loving case-in-point above.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Stink Terios posted:

This's been bugging me for a while.

In my early teens I played a PC shareware platformer with a blonde(?) kid who got granted anti-grav boots that let him jump high by some aliens so he could save his kidnapped girlfriend/a princess. I remember it having 16-bit-ish graphics.

Well, first off: What year were you a teen? If we can narrow it down to a year, it's going to help out substantially.

The most famous shareware platformers on PC is probably the Commander Keen stuff, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Stink Terios posted:

Early to mid 00's, it was definitely not commander keen though.

Cool, that gets us somewhere. Was it on DOS or in Windows? DOS would be unlikely in the 00's, but you never know.

Edit: what kind of perspective was it? Top-down, sideview etc.

Edit x2: I really wish Mobygames had a 'Shareware' grouping for their games, or this is going to be a while.

Keru fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 8, 2015

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Stink Terios posted:

Probably came in one of those PC magazines CDs.

That's what I was afraid of, it's probably going to be near impossible to find unless you remember the PC Magazine and roughly what year/month it was. Those things came with all kinds of shovelware that sometimes never even saw release.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Stink Terios posted:

At this point this is probably the case. I just hope that by a stroke of luck another goon has played it. :v

I think your best shot is to browse https://archive.org/details/computermagazines whenever you've got the spare time and see if anything jogs your memory.

Don't worry, it will probably come to you at some point. It took me about 18 years to figure out what a game I played on an Amiga 1000 once when I was 8 back in the 80's was.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Zanzibar Ham posted:

This is a real longshot, but here's a game that came to mind.

Pretty sure it was on the Commodore 64, but I guess it might have been a really old DOS game. I remember very little of it because we didn't really have an idea what we were doing. I think you were some kind of warrior going along a forest, sometimes fighting other people in maybe sword duels. I believe it had a sideview (might have been kind of like a beat'em up view), you could walk left and right, and also "up" and "down" where there was a pathway to get to different sideview areas.

Now, what I remember most is that at some point, I don't know how, but I think I somehow messed with the controls and made it so your character was always crouching when not moving, and my brother was really angry at me for it because we had no clue how to fix things. Closing the game and starting again didn't help as far as I remember.

Was it Blade Warrior? It didn't come out for c64, but was on DOS.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Tir Na Nog seems similar in how the screen looks, though I could swear you played a knight, or maybe someone with musketeer-esque clothing, and had a sword. We always had trouble figuring out how to take out the sword and be able to defend ourselves.

Maybe it's the Zorro game that was out for C64?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

betterinsodapop posted:

Oh wow, I was recently thinking about this very game and couldn't remember its name. So even if you didn't mean to and I didn't ask... you helped me remember the name of this game. :)

I wouldn't have remembered the game without Zanzibar Ham trying to remember his game, so hey.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

But Not Tonight posted:

This was a game on one of those freeware/shareware CDs from the mid-late 90s. It was a spaced-based strategy game where you built up your planets/resources/ships and waged war, very basic graphics. The biggest thing I remember was you could upgrade your planets with shields, the strength of which were indicated by rings around the planets.

It sounds like it could be Armada 2525

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Zeerust posted:

I remember playing this game in an arcade in Portugal in the mid-90s. It was a sidescrolling action game, player 1 was a black-haired guy in a red gi and the player 2 character was a blonde-haired guy in a blue gi.

It had a really Gigeresque level and enemy design, with the level I remember being this facility with monster monster bodies embedded in the walls, and the enemies I remember were women in techno-organic armour. The first boss was some kind of turtle-man in a multi-layered arena where you had to get to his front to deal damage.

I also remember there was a horizontal shmup-style level where you were flying through space Dragonball-style and blowing up monsters.

This has haunted me for about 20 years. :stare:

There was a turtle-esque boss in Contra 3, that might be it?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

This is going to be pretty vague, for which I apologize.

A relatively recent game, probably released in the past 5 years, definitely in the past 10. I don't remember if it was 2d or 3d, or AAA or indie. I do remember that it involved a great deal of hand to hand combat, and at some point you got an invisibility upgrade that turned most of the rest of the game into beating up very confused mooks who had a lot of trouble coping with an enemy that kept vanishing into thin air. I remember thinking at the time that it felt like someone had watched the canal fight scene from Ghost in the Shell and then made most of a game around it.

As I write this, it's possible that it was Dex with the ArmaGear Invisuit DLC armour, but I'm not sure.

It kinda sounds a lot like the game 'Oni' that Bungie put out in early 00's, but I don't remember if that let you go invisible. There was definitely a lot of influence from Ghost in the Shell in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

RadicalR posted:

Okay, I got one. A PSX game where you play as an agent or something but the game keeps track on how much damage you do (cost value) at the top of the screen. I remember being able to shoot out lights.

Syphon Filter?