Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Anjow posted:

There's an old strategy game I can't remember the name of. The following details may be sketchy.

It was probably from the early 90s. It involved one continent, divided into different outlined areas in the map view. The continent was like an inverted triangle, roughly. There were several leaders involved and you started off at the bottom of the continent. You had a globe (or two?) of some sort of power - similar in appearance to the Diablo 2 mana globe. When you went to attack a neighbouring region or defend one of your own, it went to a top-down view and you could generally control a single unit. You could take him around and attack with him. There were also siege engines such as mangonels and ballistas that were firing at this time. I think there may have been a castle-planning part where you could set out where you wanted your walls, turrets, troops.

Any ideas?

The 'Several Leaders' thing makes me think of Megalomania, but my memories of that are hazy too.

EDIT: Ignore me, some research makes me think I'm wrong.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
PSone game where you are on a space station orbiting the Sun. Never played the full game, but the demo let you talk to people and you could make them upset with you and they looked like angry potatoes. First person view, but slow and adventure like rather a shooter.

Megadrive /genesis game that was the first non platformer/brawler/racer I recall playing. Was either an RPG or a strategy game with a medieval setting. Art seemed western. I remember getting stuck on a screen where a king in a red and yellow tunic asked me to do stuff. It felt very sophisticated and beyond kid me.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

al-azad posted:

The first one is Sentient.

Second maybe Sword of Vermilion or Phantasy Star 3. Not a lot of RPGs on genesis.

Definite yes for the first one. The second is super vague, but in terms of style it felt more like a Euro Amiga game ported to the Megadrive or something. In fact, looking for EA Megadrive games (since I associate EA of that time period being big into slightly grown-up Amiga ports) makes me 80% sure its Centurion: Defender of Rome.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
An arcade scrolling platform beat 'em up with both players on a single plane. I seem to recall there being a red guy and a blue guy. This one stands out to me, because when you got to the last boss(?) the games theme, including vocals plays. I seem to recall the fight took place on the back of a moving aircraft and the boss was a cartoonish dictator type.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Shanty posted:

Long shot maybe but Violent Storm is an arcade beat em up with a :krad: soundtrack with vocals.

This looks like a good bet - some of it is familiar, there's a red guy and a blue guy and I could see myself misremembering the moving clouds at the end as fighting on a plane. I always assumed it was an SNK game, so that lead me down dead-ends when searching!