Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

This was a game I played on an old mac in the early to mid '90s. The mac was black and white and I think the screen was maaaybe 12". We didn't even have internet yet at our house but some how I got a hold of this point and click style game. You are a private detective and I don't really recall what your goal was. Here are the parts I remember, a restaurant that was either named Red Herring or served it, I believe was able to use the term 'Red Herring' as a password when I broke into a computer, there was a part you could use binoculars and looking some chicks bathroom and pull open the curtain. The place I lost it at was I went into a bar and I had to give the bouncer a password and if I was wrong he'd shoot me.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 9, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I posted this in September of 2008:

KilGrey posted:

This was a game I played on an old mac in the early to mid '90s. This was one of the old mac's, black and white and I think the screen was maaaybe 12". Some how I got a hold of this point and click style game. You are a private detective and I don't really recall what your goal was but I think you were investigating something mob oriented. Here are the parts I remember, a restaurant that was either named Red Herring or served it, I believe was able to later use the term 'Red Herring' as a password when I broke into a computer. There was a part you could use binoculars and looking some chicks bathroom window and click on the curtains to open them and she's in the shower all covered in bubbles. I thought this was crazy at the time, and hilarious that you could look through a window with binoculars and make a shower curtain open. Also, there was a room you become trapped in that fills with water and you have to click on/shoot out a high window to break it to escape or something. The place I lost it at was I went into a bar and I had to give the bouncer a password and if I was wrong he'd shoot me.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

And never got a response. I'm not surprised because it's so loving vague but I really don't remember much else other than maybe the game had a 1920s/30 theme and was very noir. This is my first memory or ever playing a game on a computer and I know it's a long shot but I'd love to find the name of it again.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 20, 2012

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Kamer Kamer Cola posted:

Private Eye? Hard to find any information on this game so im not sure if it was ever released on macs.

No, the game I'm talking about was much much more simplistic. It was black and white and didn't really have any moving parts. I recall it being more of a basic point and click, like the Crimson Room flash games.

Thanks for trying though. :)

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Forgedbow posted:

Something along the lines of Deja Vu, or the other MacVenture games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y01lZbrxxb0

Yes! It was like that. I think I played this game around 1995ish but I don't know how old the game itself was but that was the style of it.

I'm really racking my brain to think of more details. I've tried googling everything I remember in a number of different ways to see if anything comes up but have gotten nothing.

I don't know why all these years later I still think about it and am irritated I was never able to finish it. I just remember getting to the part where the bouncer asks me for a password and if you get it wrong he shoots you and you have to start all the way over at the beginning of the game again and it irritated the poo poo out of me. I think you only get one or two chances to give him the correct word/phrase too. Weird how certain things will stick in your brain and niggle away at you for years.