Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Skyarb posted:

I feel like everytime I keep thinking about this I keep realizing something else. Now for whatever reason I think this may have been a flash game.

There's this one Newgrounds horror flash where you're exploring an empty building, and at the end you listen to this tape with some creepy whispering and the phrase "OPEN YOUR MIND" and then a bunch of hands come out of the wall and kill you. Unfortunately I don't remember the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

It's not Jydge or any of that style of game, it might even be more of a tactical RPG like Jagged Alliance than a straight twin-stick shooter but I know it's a real thing.

Could it be Akane?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Baller Time posted:

About 7 or 8 years ago there was a free game in which you where doing tricks on (hover?)skates in an abstract world. Lot's of high jumping/flying around. It was probably more a proof of concept someone polished up. I read about it on RockPaperShotgun back then, but can't find it anymore.

Hover, maybe?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm thinking of a lovely Doom clone, from right around the time Doom was first released. It was set underground, and mostly black except for glowy blue minerals in the rock walls. You got three weapons in the shareware episode: an energy pistol, an energy SMG, and a flame gun that worked just like the SMG except bigger and flamey. Aside from killing generic guards, you were supposed to find slave miners and teleport them to safety. There was no music or voice clips. The bad guys were called "Ri" and the slaves were called "Oras." What was this stupid game called, and why is it in my head all of a sudden? Is it just something my dad's friend made to put on his BBS?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 13, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Thank you for giving me closure

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If it's got hefty mod support but isn't an X, could it be Freelancer or Wing Commander: Privateer? I know those would be pretty easy to remember.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

texting my ex posted:

Few months ago there was a sci fi roguelike shooter released, some RPG elements... I think it was either cel-shaded or full on cartoony graphics. Anyone know the name? I was interested in it but didn't have the time to play games back then

Void Bastards

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Danaru posted:

A game I would have played around 2005-2007 for pc, you had an overhead view of your ship which was hurled into unknown space and damaged, with most of the crew missing as well. I forget if you control the ship itself or a shuttle but you had to mine asteroids for materials to repair and upgrade stuff. I THINK pirates would attack sometimes and you had to blow them up. It was a shareware deal where you get the first little area for free and have to pay to play the rest. I cant remember any more specifics but if I saw it, I'd bet I'd recognize it instantly

StarScape

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

khy posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a PC RPG. Very generic. Late 90's if I remember correctly. The MC was a girl, I want to say possibly blue hair. The world seemed like it was comprised of multiple layers, and I want to say she started in like a scrap yard of some sort?

Septerra Core

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

JackBandit posted:

Second one I probably played in the late 90s or early 2000s, it was a freeware RPG with graphics similar to FF IV, I remember there was some plot point where you could decide to side with the red kingdom or the blue kingdom. I remember it being surprisingly good and deep, but I was also probably like 11.

Ends of the Earth 2

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There's this rail shooter with really, really awful graphics where you're shooting robots in a big skyscraper. Dave Fennoy voiced the bad guy and did a way better job than the game deserved. What was it called?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

That's the one, thanks.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

are there any adventure games where you're not stuck in a room at some point

it's a genre all to itself even

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pierzak posted:

Flash game, visually very much in the style of Binding of Isaac (made a few years earlier than BoI IIRC), to the point that I'm wondering if it wasn't made by the same guy. You played some kind of a dead bird (vulture?) fetus.

Carious Weltling

it is the same guy if that's the right one

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Splicer posted:

Driving game, fairly recent I think. I only saw a video of it, there's no real road just a whole bunch of loops and ramps and things floating in space. I don't have the video anymore sadly

Could it be Trackmania?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyiXhR64cas

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I remember an old "halo killer fps" that X-Play (or Extended Play) reviewed where they kept making jokes about the drill sergeant character saying "or I'll shove a boot in your rear end" alot. it had a particularly strange art direction, where the guns were these huge cylindrical things with a bunch of open space on them? I remember alot of the armor and guns being dark gray or black, and it was trying to sell itself on having AI buddies you could command. Anybody remember this?

Could it be Breed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fec7pgJpQDs

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

How did it look more like Starcraft? Was it sprites instead of 3D?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Does anyone recognize the game shown from 10:31-11:54 of this video?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Thanks.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

Looking for a flash game, don't know when it was made. 2d retro platformer, you're a gnome who gets kicked out of their village for being a weakling. An imprisoned god offers to help you get back to your village. If you play it straight by helping him, you get back to your village but doom everyone to their deaths. You have to figure out on your own the alternate path back to the village for the good ending. No weapons iirc, just a stamina bar.

endeavor

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

Awe I hosed up its Winds plural!

*they're

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shady Amish Terror posted:

E: Wait, that one brought back something else. I have a memory of what I think might have been an early flash game or series of flash games set in the Australian outback. I remember the main character being...essentially whatever the australian version of a redneck is? It was broken up into different games and modes of play. I remember not disliking something that had to do with a didgeridoo, but the only game I strongly recall playing was a mode where you just drove a truck or something similar around running over cane toads for points. It feels kind of incongruous to me, because I have the weird sense it might have been intended to be edutainment?

Lenny Loosejocks

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tenderjerk posted:

Trying to remember an old PC game that had some FMV elements but not all FMV. I think was a point and click. Mid to late 90s

You are a guy who likes this batman-type comic book, then you get sucked into that world and become the comic book character, and you fight that character's villains. I think you had a female sidekick but I don't recall

It was very dark (literally, I recall it all took place at night)

Looked up FMV game databases but couldn't find anything as it was more of a normal game with occasional FMV stuff and not like, Voyeur or Night Trap

Noctropolis

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Skunny

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

b_d posted:

i got one that's extremely a long shot but hell i might as well try.

around 2002 or so there was a website with a bunch of free games my friends and i spent a lot of time on. i may be misremembering but i'm pretty sure all the games were java, not flash. there was one i played a bunch. it was a vertical scrolling shmup where you controlled the ship just by moving the mouse. black background (space). there were no sprites, all the ships and effects were drawn with simple shapes. I think your ship was tan. at some point there were beam weapons that i remember looking cool. I don't remember if there was music.

that's all I can remember. now someone find it and make it playable somehow, NOW.

Areaflat2

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

2 is the one I played, that's all

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Serperoth posted:

Speaking of cool shmups, does anyone remember a browser shmup where the upgrades would include things like better graphics or audio, or even achievements and the like?

Upgrade Complete

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

I've asked this one in this thread before but I'll try my luck again.

I remember a very early first person shooter, around the time of Catacomb 3D and Wolfenstein 3D, and it had the same kind of early engine. It was a DOS game and I'm pretty sure I got it from lordsoth.com back when that was a thing. It was very brown and the enemies were extremely poorly drawn. The thing I remember most though was the music - it was very depressing and oppressive, like a funeral dirge. I think there was only the one song, not sure about sound effects. The player character I think shot fireballs rather than using any guns.

Also, I know it's not Ken's Labyrinth

Could it be Depth Dwellers?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

From that time period we also have Escape from Monster Manor(more brown, more dirgey) and Pathways into Darkness(doodlier monsters).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

agreed, Animal Crossing isn't nearly enough like Saw

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

COUROUCOUCOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ymgve posted:

I'm surprised to learn that the 2600 actually had a BASIC cart, seems kinda insane when you consider that the 2600 had 128 bytes of RAM

That's all you'll ever need, really

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The first, you play as a fish in the sea and level up to other fish, and try not to get eaten.

Odell Down Under

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Danaru posted:

Sorry for being vague as poo poo, but it's an NES game, the only screen I remember was a window showing a cool 8 bit planet and another window beside it showing some data about it. I remember the vibe being that was the main gameplay, almost like a 4X. Honestly I'm not even sure if this happened, I might have dreamt this, but I also remember playing Bionic Commando for the first time on the same system so it was definitely nes

Could it have been Overlord?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

JackBandit posted:

I have vague memories of seeing screenshots of an NES action adventure game in Nintendo Power where the player character sprite looked a lot like the main character sprite from Dragon Warrior. As the character got more and more items or weapons or armor, they would be listed on the corner of the screen.

Ironsword, maybe?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if it isn't Hyperbolica, it might be Maquette

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

trying to find a game i asked for previously

Do You Like Horny Bunnies

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sorry but all jokes stop being funny once I have repeated them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kchama posted:

Does anyone have a source for the game in ToxicFrog's AV? It was a card game with that style. I remember the word 'prism' a lot.

Gauntlet: The Third Encounter