Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Going mad trying to think of this old Mac game!

Basically it was a myst-like deal, first person view of shoddily rendered scenery. You went around solving puzzles, I guess, and occasionally a man would pop out to tell you something. The gimmick was that it was based on an old quiz show, I think, and the stuff you found in the puzzles made sort of a chain (shown at the bottom of the screen). The guy would tell you about the stuff you found, and was probably the original host of the show. Old guy, grayish hair? He was live action footage, by the way.
I distinctly remember graphite being one of the first such links that you got after solving one of those "rub a notepad to see what was written on the previous page" puzzles with a graphite pencil. I'm pretty sure the number you found was the combination to a safe (which was in the room behind the notepad).
I also remember there being a 1950s style American diner in one of the first locations, as well as possibly a castle, a moat or a well. There was some kind of significant mechanic where you had to fill out the chain before moving on to a new location. Later on it got REALLY weird and you wound up in a pyramid or something or maybe it was a hotel? :psyduck:
I may be mixing it up with another game entirely, but I think you were meant to stop an evil magician or something, but this I'm not at all sure about since that doesn't seem to jive with the more pointless chain mechanic and also I've played a lot of these dumb games. :shobon:

I've been googling this like crazy, but I can only turn up the BBC quiz "Only Connect" which sounds right, but doesn't seem to have anything to do with the game after all.

If anyone has even the foggiest idea about what the game was or even which television show might have inspired it (if I haven't made that up), I'd be absolutely ECSTATIC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

ponzicar posted:

Connections perhaps? http://www.mobygames.com/game/connections

I have no idea how this didn't turn up in any of the hundreds of searches I've done, but THANK YOU!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
An rpg of some sort that appeared as a shareware version on a MacFormat CD at some point in the nineties. Top down grid deal, looked a lot like Exile or Odyssey, but I can't for the life of me think of any distinguishing features other than this:
You could... select you main characters sprite... somehow? And one of the options looked a lot like Batman. Which I think was incongruous.

Maybe one of the enemies was a rabbit?

I have found and made peace with most of my other nightmare memories of interminable shareware and demo games, but this one eludes me.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Serperoth posted:

Kind of a long shot, but could it be Castle of the Winds? Top down RPG, on a grid... Not sure about the sprite though

Same sort of look, you're in the ball park. But no dice. Thanks though.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Rollersnake posted:

I think this could be one of the Yipe! games. My memories of those are pretty vague, but I think you could select your sprite in Yipe 2 and/or 3 at least, and they probably had some strange options. They definitely had two different options for the monsters, where one set was traditional RPG monsters, and the other was silly.

That's IT, holy poo poo! I cannot believe you got that. Thanks so much, that's incredible. No idea which one of them it was, and screenshots EXTREMELY scarce, but it's definitely Yipe.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Beneath a Steel Sky? First screen is SORT OF blueish, and the first thing you DO is to climb OUT of it (via a DOOR, though, not a window) onto a LEDGE.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Quote-Unquote posted:

Unless you're thinking of the word 'kobold' I am not sure, then, sorry! Can't think of any RPGs with cobalt equipment.

Only one I can think of is IVAN, but that's not DOS era. First release is 2001, looks like. Possible mixup? Some of the other points look similar.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Songbearer posted:

Early 2000's I believe Donald Duck inspired point and click adventure made by a random guy, except all the characters and backgrounds were drawn in crayon in a super creepy and hosed up style and animated weirdly or not at all. I recall it being pretty grim and maybe violent but it was mostly just real fuckin weird. I think Hewie Dewie and Louie were either playable or Donald was

God I remember this. Your description is very accurate. Seems unsearchable, though, sadly. I think it was Scandinavian in origin?

E: ah, here is it: https://www.bjornarb.com/dduck2.html

E2: as nightmarish as I remember: https://youtu.be/mgtWipCDZbU

Shanty fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 20, 2023

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

All of the sound effects in this game are burned into my brain and I had zero recollection of ever playing it prior to watching this video. So thanks!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Disco Pope posted:

An arcade scrolling platform beat 'em up with both players on a single plane. I seem to recall there being a red guy and a blue guy. This one stands out to me, because when you got to the last boss(?) the games theme, including vocals plays. I seem to recall the fight took place on the back of a moving aircraft and the boss was a cartoonish dictator type.

Long shot maybe but Violent Storm is an arcade beat em up with a :krad: soundtrack with vocals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Disco Pope posted:

This looks like a good bet - some of it is familiar, there's a red guy and a blue guy and I could see myself misremembering the moving clouds at the end as fighting on a plane. I always assumed it was an SNK game, so that lead me down dead-ends when searching!

Break out, break out fighting.