Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I played this game on a teacher's laptop in the early 90s. It was vaguely adventure RPG/hack and slash for the time. Black and white (though that may have just been the laptop's hardware limitations), top down, simple cartoony sprites, square grid tiles, and keyboard controls.

The only thing I properly remember was that there was a castle near where you started the game with a treasure room that could be broken into and looted. This would pull all of the guards, but if you got away you'd have a poo poo ton of gold and (maybe?) some magic stuff.

I think everything paused when you weren't moving the character, but combat was otherwise in real time in that old bump-to-use-attack fashion.

I managed to find it some years after, but the game's speed was linked to clock speed so everything moved hilariously quickly. Pretty sure it was still in black and white.

stringless fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Nope. At the very least the castle wasn't randomized, and the world was completely tiled (albeit with simple graphics).

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Zanzibar Ham posted:

One of the early Ultima games maybe?
The tiles looked similar to Ultima II for mac, but the sprites were definitely more detailed. Black outlines, basic features.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

hot diggity drat i found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEA67hW2-Y8

now i just need to figure out how to emulate MacOS 6 on Windows 7~

stringless fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 12, 2016

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

al-azad posted:

I'll help you get started and point out Mini vMac, an emulator. But you're on your own from there. Took me a whole afternoon setting up a Macintosh install which requires using esoteric programs to format a virtual hard drive and sadly I've forgotten all the steps it took getting there.
it took at least a couple of hours (mostly because stuffit and then complications due to whatever version of the game i downloaded first) but i got it running!

it's still just as fun now trying to run out of the castle with the treasury as it was back then

pretty sure there's some plot that's intended but, eh

stringless fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 12, 2016

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Stathol posted:

This isn't much to go on, but:

I'm trying to remember a DOS-based RPG game that I picked up from a local BBS some time in the very early 90s. It might have been shareware/freeware, but knowing me it probably wasn't. I never really got the chance to play it, so all I can remember is that the game was set in some kind of underground kingdom (or maybe inside a mountain?). I also have the vague recollection that it was a pretty expansive game for its day, but I remember thinking it was pretty obscure even at the time.
I don't know how well the platform fits, but the game description + shareware fits Spiderweb Software's Exile series.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

This would have been mid-to-late '90s: arcade racer, futuristic style, red motorcycle-looking seat as part of the cabinet?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Nope :/

Gameplay was kind of like Tempest but updated? I can barely remember it.

/e: welp lmao I was a bit off from 1989

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

davidspackage posted:

My finest videogame purchase was a two-disc set called "10 Lucasarts Adventures." It had Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island 1 (though, the 16-color version) and 2, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Indiana Jones Raiders & Fate of Atlantis, and Zak McKracken (also 16 colors). And Indy desktop adventures. Nearly all of them were games I didn't even know existed.
Yeah when I was a kid we had a CD with MI1&2 + Indiana Jones FoA. Very fond memories and a few talking-tos about charges on the phone bill.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Play posted:

Second is one based around ancient Egypt, there are different puzzles including a classic Tower of Hanoi puzzle and one where you need to pull out a mummy's brain through a needlessly complex nasal cavity without touching the sides. I think at this was on the family computer and also had simple 3d graphics so I would estimate early 2000s maybe.
I'm absolutely certain I played this too.

No idea how to find it, though.

Pyramid: Challenge of the Pharaoh's Dream?

stringless fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 6, 2021

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I deliberately held off on suggesting Rayman until just now

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

packetmantis posted:

Journeyman Project?
Pretty sure the only Egypt connection was the ship/crew in 3 while you were in Atlantis

It brings up a question worth asking, though:

was there any FMV involved, or any animated characters at all?

stringless fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 7, 2021

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

could have sworn Cannon Fodder was an artillery game but apparently I was thinking of Scorched Earth

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It doesn't, but I definitely played this long, long ago lol

(I've been going through old-rear end GameFAQs guides for the games that seem like they fit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqWEJTod_hM

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Chinook posted:

Jewels of the Oracle definitely had tower of Hanoi which is why I thought of it
I definitely had Jewels of the Oracle as a kid, but I don't think it had a Tower of Hanoi puzzle?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Since we're talking about weird old game creation tools, here's one I only have vague memories about.

* It was for making FPS games, and it came with a GUI-based 3D level editing tool, vaguely similar to Hammer in my mind but that could absolutely be wrong
Are you sure it wasn't Forge for Marathon? Marathon 2 had a Windows release in '96

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah, or like first person, third person, isometric, windows/mac/a particular console

Could be Marathon though I'm not sure it counts as an RPG.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Custard Undies posted:

The competition (from memory), was that you had 1 life/go at completing the game. You had to fly into a mountain or volcano and blow up a base, and you only had 7 minutes (I think) to do it. I am not sure if you had to shoot down other planes/jets or not, but I imagine you did.

It was on the news in Australia, but I have no idea if it was a thing that ever came to Australia or not.
It's possible you're mixing something else up with the one of the Nintendo World Championships, 1990 had a cart that had a hard time limit of 6:21 with minigames through SMB, Rad Racer, and Tetris

1992 Nintendo Campus Challenge had SMW, F-Zero, and Pilotwings minigames with 6 minute rounds.

Those were held in the US/Canada, though.

Competitions like that at the time (and still today for classics) were usually time limit-based or score was affected by how quickly you got to the end of a specific stage

So, what's an arcade game featuring flying in 3D from around that time that has a mountain/volcano base that can be reached in 6 or so minutes?

Probably After Burner or After Burner II:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSvxN7nMNwo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65weTx0haog

lmao this is probably it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTf-q57QYWc

stringless fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 23, 2021

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Custard Undies posted:

Nah, def wasn't after burner, as I had played it before seeing this news item.
Well, that at least places it after After Burner's 1988 Australia release

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

A video game based around setting up ventilation in apartments/houses? Black wireframe for walls and such on a white background, maybe colors for the different bits and pieces you could place. Probably top down, maybe isometric.

I played it in 2005ish? Probably a Flash game. Just got reminded of it today because it'd be totally up a buddy's alley, but searching has not been fruitful.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Nox is on GOG so it should be able to run fine on modern systems.

Fond memories of multiple attempts at the multiplayer with a buddy of mine that always got interrupted by chakram fights.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Uh relating to permanent transformation, there is Kenshi.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Used to play Cyborg Justice with my cousin when we were kids

We could never figure out how to cross that first big gap without the jumper legs though

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

There was also a sequel, Crusader: No Regret

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

CYBEReris posted:

is it Strategy Games of the World distributed by Edmark?
Pretty sure one of these was my introduction to mancala, so thanks for the trip down memory lane!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

If it looked more like a game, Escape Velocity or one of its sequels (Escape Velocity Override and Escape Velocity Nova), maybe.
Given that they mentioned it in the description it's probably not EV :v:

I'm guessing Ares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s44qu5zgXE

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Not sure about the red hue, but could be Sentient (1997)?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

What did it look like? i.e. first person, top down, isometric?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Swords & Serpents has "Iago" as a main character name

Or it's one of the others on this list

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Guessing it's Monster Sanctuary, though I'm not sure if it has breeding.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Golden Axe had an arcade release, but I can't remember any multiple-character ARPGs that did vertical scrolling

Would be more helpful if you linked the actual tweet, probably!

stringless fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 31, 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Well poo poo, you got it first.

stringless fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 5, 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It'd be funny if you're thinking of Voodoo Nightmare (1990)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Amiga and Atari ST, though, but "PC" is a very broad category

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

That was re: Big Red Racing

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

moller posted:

Sounds like Cyborg Justice for the Megadrive?
Especially if you remember an early level that had a loving bullshit jump

Used to play it with my cousin on Sega Genesis, it was always a lot of fun but level 2 or so you couldn't get past without losing lives unless you had the jump legs or some trick we never figured out as kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HPRXv-e9IE

~5:19, but the player has the pneumatic legs

stringless fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 4, 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It'd be pretty funny if you're thinking of Wizard (1984)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPMYlXvsaJM

What was with all the games of that era (by which I mean like 1980-1995) using In the Hall of the Mountain King, anyway? Like sure, it was old enough to be free to use, but drat. A poo poo-ton of other music was too!

stringless fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 15, 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Could it have been Lunatic Fringe, the After Dark screen saver? Don't remember if it had systems vs shields/hp

/e: oh it's totally Lunatic Fringe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZglGbYGRtI

stringless fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I didn't like the linear nature of Transcendence but it was fun to play at least