Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Battle Chess was too long ago to have been the answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Caenum posted:

Trying to find a (kinda?) old game - I think it was touted something like from the dev who did XCOM or XCOM2 - but its not the phoenix point game. It had 3 races, and really really terrible DRM like you could only get it from his specific website and he'd send you a code or something I don't know.
This part at least smacks of Spiderweb Software so I'm gonna vote "one of the Geneforge games" even though multi-turn ballistics don't seem to fit.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

G-LOC: Air Battle

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

First one smacks of the Journeyman Project series

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I'm pretty sure I played it on 5.25s in the early 90s. The whole trading aspect definitely was a foundation when I eventually got into Escape Velocity

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Syndicate Wars?

The PS2 did have multitap for up to four players, but 007: Nightfire doesn't match for the camera.

stringless fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 30, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

My first instinct is MDK, possibly mixed up a bit with Oni?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

fuckin

Earthworm Jim 3D (1999)? not even mac i don't think

I was actively gaming on Macs at that time and MDK (1997) and Oni (2001 so maybe not but still clear plastic era) are the only games from that time that could possibly match in my memory, maybe your friend just briefly saw a scene that was an outlier.

Abuse (1995) is probably way more fun than the phantom memory game was anyway.

stringless fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 1, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It could be Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels (1995), but that doesn't have the face thing.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I've had good results asking it to list 10 or 12 possible examples. If you just ask for one it'll usually get the focus wrong.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It's definitely not this, but I found this while looking around and somehow never heard about it before now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdAj3DQAUYM

Especially after just recently playing all the way through Dave the Diver it seems up my alley.

The sequel's kickstarter trailer starts in a pool hall (or, at least, there is a pool table), even:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CVJ6fjrZI0

stringless fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 30, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah, sometimes chatGPT can be helpful if you tell it to give ten potential answers, but for that description it was like "nope lol here's a confidently wrong answer and a list of ten popular platformers"

stringless fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 9, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

Katana Zero
Solid fit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxiIA6fCnew

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Super Solvers

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

This seems familiar, as a Mac gamer in that time range. Did the circles emanate from the player, and you had to be careful that nothing hit them while they expanded?

Or perhaps drawing any shape to block off the field but again as an enclosure game you'd get hurt or whatever if there were any collisions while drawing?

stringless fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 8, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Nidhogg is an easy to get into competitive Playstation game.

Last night I played what struck me as being the XBox version of Nidhogg, except it was a race through levels instead of tug-of-war and it had a grappling hook on X that only works on the ceilings with white lines. Similar graphical quality (i.e. none, but with style). The longer a run goes the smaller the viewable area gets and runs end when all opponents have been killed by not staying on the screen and it's best of three I guess?

What did I play?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Yep that's definitely it, thanks!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

wizard2 posted:

I had a friend 20 years ago who was the master of Judgmental Guess Who. That's where you're like, "Does this person cheat on their taxes?" or "Would this person try to sell you on an MLM scam?"
We called it Subjective Guess Who and often started with "Does he look like a bitch???"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Good call, that's gotta be it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlXIQqGmyM8