Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I REALLY need to get my rear end in gear and start watching some of these. I went on a buying spree and bought like 100 bucks worth of riffs but I've only had time to watch about 4 or 5.

Is it the general consenus to just get most of the movies via Netflix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MrMidnight posted:

I REALLY need to get my rear end in gear and start watching some of these. I went on a buying spree and bought like 100 bucks worth of riffs but I've only had time to watch about 4 or 5.

Is it the general consenus to just get most of the movies via Netflix?

I don't know if it's the general consensus but that's what I do, I can't imagine a more convenient way to do it. They come right to your door, the selection is wide enough so that you don't have to worry about not finding a movie, and it's discreet so that you don't have to embarrass yourself by telling the cashier at blockbusters that you're renting, say, Crossroads, or Glitter.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Facing the clerk at the video store is half the fun of renting those movies.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
For those who haven't tried Rifftrax, they really make for a great movie experience. Even syncing up the tracks, which is trickier than you'd think, only makes everything more fun.

My favorites: Two Towers, Jurassic Park, Matrix Reloaded, and Alien.

I can't recommend Two Towers enough though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mein Eyes! posted:

My favorites: Two Towers, Jurassic Park, Matrix Reloaded, and Alien.

I can't recommend Two Towers enough though.

How much better is it than the one for Fellowship?

That one was almost painful to sit through because the movie's so loving long and I didn't find the commentary particularly funny, so it made a long movie even longer.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That one was almost painful to sit through because the movie's so loving long and I didn't find the commentary particularly funny, so it made a long movie even longer.
It's a lot funnier than Fellowship, and there's more jokes because it's Bill, Kevin, and Mike.
The length of the film is still pretty noticeable, though.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

I love the Star Wars Holiday Special, Transformers, Batman and Robin, and (of course) Troll 2. I like all of them, but those are absolutely hysterical to me. Also, I had forgotten how funny Bridget is.

I must get on the iRiffs train.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It is much, much funnier. I actually got Two Towers before The Fellowship, and was really disappointed by Fellowship. Two Towers is a completely hilarious rifftrax from start to end.

What's going to happen when Helm gets home and finds out they trashed his Deep?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
In my opinion Two Towers isn't quite up there with their best, but it still has a ton of laughs and is miles better than Fellowship (which I couldn't even finish).

"My thing!!"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Gaseous Snake posted:

Facing the clerk at the video store is half the fun of renting those movies.

Like a 44-yr-old man asking the clerk where he can find the Britney Spears' movie, Crossroads.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

guvnor posted:

I'd be willing to pitch in on just about anything, as long as it was properly cheesy to begin with (the original 'Troll,' perhaps?).

This could be a great idea because I bet a lot of people already own the Troll/Troll 2 DVD combo cuz of the Lowtax riff on Troll 2. I have it but still have never seen the original Troll

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Does anyone use the riff player thing? I try to use it but every time I do, the DVD audio is really really quiet and impossible to hear (only the speech, though; the music is normal volume). I've fixed this problem several times, by digging around for about an hour on the rifftrax forums and doing something involving codecs, but the thing is I watch riffs infrequently enough so that I can never remember what I did, and I have to go back and do the whole search again, which is just too exhausting.

Does anyone else have that same problem? I like the idea of the riff player, but getting it working isn't really worth the effort, it's just easier to use the mp3 track I think.

Savantegarde
May 28, 2006

That was a stupid thing to say. And you're stupid for saying it.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Does anyone else have that same problem? I like the idea of the riff player, but getting it working isn't really worth the effort, it's just easier to use the mp3 track I think.

Yeah, it was such an common problem that they have an entire stickied thread dedicated to it here

Also, has anyone taken an interest in some of the other iRiffs that have been released? I just watched the sample for Incognito Cinema Warriors(which seems like the most direct MST3K copycat, with a human and two robots and a silhouette at the bottom) and the sample was pretty funny.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I could never get the player to work and I think I had the same problem.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Does anyone use the riff player thing? I try to use it but every time I do, the DVD audio is really really quiet and impossible to hear (only the speech, though; the music is normal volume). I've fixed this problem several times, by digging around for about an hour on the rifftrax forums and doing something involving codecs, but the thing is I watch riffs infrequently enough so that I can never remember what I did, and I have to go back and do the whole search again, which is just too exhausting.

The only problem I've encountered with the riff player was that no matter what I did, it kept losing sync with Star Trek V, until it was up to 20 seconds off. Even when I followed their directions for fixing the problem, it never recovered.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The only problem I've encountered with the riff player was that no matter what I did, it kept losing sync with Star Trek V, until it was up to 20 seconds off. Even when I followed their directions for fixing the problem, it never recovered.

Re-authoring is the only way to go.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Re-authoring is the only way to go.

How do you do that?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I definitely recommend any Riff with Patrick Swayze in the movie. They're brilliant. Top Gun and Cocktail were great, too. The amount of bagging on Tom Cruise they do is epic.

I was pleasantly surprised with the Riff that Lileks did, but I really can't stand the English guy. Matthew J. Someone. Ick. It was like having the boring guy from the comic shop reading "hilarious" comments in a deadpan. British accent does not equal comedy.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

How do you do that?

http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php/topic,413.0.html

Skip the "Lite" version. All the programs used are freeware.

It looks harder that it is. You'll spend about 15-20 minutes total (most of this is in Audacity) and the computer does 99% of the work.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm watching The Two Towers Rifftrax now and you guys were right. It is a lot better than the one for Fellowship.

guvnor
Aug 21, 2002

It's 1973. Nearly dinner time. I'm 'aving 'oops.

rereedrumr posted:

This could be a great idea because I bet a lot of people already own the Troll/Troll 2 DVD combo cuz of the Lowtax riff on Troll 2. I have it but still have never seen the original Troll

What do you guys think the easiest way to co-ordinate a mass goon riff would be?
I can think of two options:

OPTION A: Assuming the majority of us will be working off an identical torrented copy on our computers, people watch the movie, writing down riffs and the associated time code as they go. We then post our riff/time code combos into the "Hay goons, lets write an iRiff track for Troll!" thread until it seems like we've achieved critical mass.
Then some thankless bastard sits down and has to copy and paste all this poo poo into a single working script (broken down by 30-second intervals), posts it somewhere we can all see it, and then we decide where we need to shore it up with additional zingers and/or cut out conflicting lines and stuff that just isn't funny.

+ People can contribute one or two jokes if it suits them.
- Probably lots of duplicate jokes and harder to spot gaps.
- Massive thread, and pretty confusing for whoever has to put it all together.

OPTION B: Start with a blank script broken down into 30-second increments. Somebody hosts it on their personal server and tries to keep it updated at least once a day. Contributors download a copy, add their riffs (highlighting all new material) then e-mail the revised version back so they can update the original with the new material.

+ Easier to spot gaps as we go.
+ Less cutting and pasting, especially if only a couple of people are interested in participating.
- Requires more involvement from whomever is hosting the master script.
- May get people working off of old versions of the script, which could lead to problems when updating.

Does anybody want to weigh in with a preference, or suggest a simpler alternative?

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH
These are great and make me watch through my movies one more time. Any plans on riffing the new Rambo? Someone got it for me as a joke and the first thing I checked was Rifftrax's website.

Although I suspect that's a movie that needs no commentary to be funny.

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!

guvnor posted:

Does anybody want to weigh in with a preference, or suggest a simpler alternative?

I've had a bit of experience in some stuff like this, and you honestly get the best jokes out of a group, which is the sort of dynamic you can't really get with either of the suggestions you've listed.
What I was thinking when the idea of an SA-made riff came up was somebody streaming the movie and the writers collaborating on Skype (or hell, just everybody watching it on their computers at the same time). Not necessarily watching the whole thing in one go and doing a stream of consciousness deal, but more watching, say, a ten minute chunk over and over again and coming up with jokes that way. You really can't write anything funny if you're trying to keep up with the movie, you have to break it up and work each chunk a bit before you get something really quality. And somebody acts as recorder and notes timecodes and associated jokes.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

guvnor posted:

:words:

How about breaking it down by chapters?

Some Goon can list the chapter times and we can break each chapter down into 30-60 second segments, rather than trying to take on the entire movie at one time. Set a time limit for coming up with riffs for each chapter. Once the script has been agreed upon for that chapter, go to the next one.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
All right, that's it, I'm doing iRiffs. There have been two movies I have sitting about that I was thinking about doing amateur riffs for, and the prospect of making some cash from it will spur this forward.

If anyone is interested, the two I will do are Super Mario Bros. and Labyrinth.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Behonkiss posted:

All right, that's it, I'm doing iRiffs. There have been two movies I have sitting about that I was thinking about doing amateur riffs for, and the prospect of making some cash from it will spur this forward.

If anyone is interested, the two I will do are Super Mario Bros. and Labyrinth.

I'm sure that there are a lot of people here that could put together an awesome script if we were motivated to do so, or had an easy method for it.

(edit - this wasn't meant to sound discouraging. I'd like to see a goon-written project like this though)

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 21, 2008

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Behonkiss posted:

If anyone is interested, the two I will do are Super Mario Bros.

I think half the track should be just sarcastically saying Super Mario Bros. ala the Transformers track.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!
drat, looks like I need to break down and get a new headset with a mic. There are few things I love better in life than riffing on movies, and the worse the movie is, the better. :)

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree
If a goon riff is going to happen, there should probably be some sort of division of labor, just to avoid what happened on the Batman & Robin fan written RiffTrax where everybody quit before they got to the end and there were minute long gaps between jokes.

Soliciting volunteers, then dividing the movie up among them might be the easiest way to work, and people could then contribute any thing additional outside of their section that they wanted to. Troll is only 82 minutes, so if you got 20 volunteers everyone would only need to be responsible for 4 minutes.

rereedrumr fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 21, 2008

HappyDooies
Sep 20, 2006

Grandpa Pap posted:

There are few things I love better in life than riffing on movies, and the worse the movie is, the better. :)

I agree. Count me in for iRiffs. cool idea.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.
I will also be up for a collaborative one however I intend on doing my own seperate iriffs for some films too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I wonder if I can riff Debbie Does Dallas.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Let's T_Roll.
If we do a collaborative one, the question is who initially gets the proceeds and how is it distributed?

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster

FelchTragedy posted:

If we do a collaborative one, the question is who initially gets the proceeds and how is it distributed?
Equally, I assume?

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Graham Wellington posted:

Equally, I assume?
I think he's wondering by what method...

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Let's T_Roll.

Revolvyerom posted:

I think he's wondering by what method...

quote:

How do I get money from my iRiff?
You get paid 50% of the net revenue generated by your products. We send you a check each quarter that your balance due to you is over $25.

Yes, the payment goes to one person and then that person has to be trusted to split the profits. If it's too cumbersome, we can always send the cheques to an agreed charity.

Savantegarde
May 28, 2006

That was a stupid thing to say. And you're stupid for saying it.
I wouldn't mind contributing with a small group of goons, but if there is a mass goon collective organization working on a single script, things might get...heated, and I'll probably do my own thing.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

FelchTragedy posted:

If it's too cumbersome, we can always send the cheques to an agreed charity.

It would be fun to do a goon riff with proceeds going to Child's Play or the like. I think spliting/pocketing the money is pretty silly. This way it will be a bit more laid back and fun and if it does well the cash will go to a good cause.

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster

TheDingo posted:

It would be fun to do a goon riff with proceeds going to Child's Play or the like. I think spliting/pocketing the money is pretty silly. This way it will be a bit more laid back and fun and if it does well the cash will go to a good cause.
Especially since it won't be a lot of money. No sense in arguing over checks of 75 cents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I can't exactly record without a mic, but I'd be willing to write for it.

• Locked thread