Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Savantegarde
May 28, 2006

That was a stupid thing to say. And you're stupid for saying it.
I always rent the rifftrax movies from netflix and whenever they do the new ones I always have to wait weeks before they become available to me. And Iron Man, The Happening, and now this one are all on long wait from Netflix.

Man its going to be forever before I get to watch a new Riff.

\/\/\/Yeah I just checked it when I added Kingdom of the Crystal Skull to my queue. All my rifftrax movies are "long wait" or "very long wait" status.

Savantegarde fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 22, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh ok
Oct 11, 2004

Alternate... universe... Shauna... fails... BECHAMEL TEST.

(Passim)

Savantegarde posted:

I always rent the rifftrax movies from netflix and whenever they do the new ones I always have to wait weeks before they become available to me. And Iron Man, The Happening, and now this one are all on long wait from Netflix.

Man its going to be forever before I get to watch a new Riff.

Iron Man's on a long wait? I'd think they'd have a thousand copies of that one.

Avarcirwen
Mar 7, 2008

Goons: The only group more socially conservative than Mormons.

oh ok posted:

Iron Man's on a long wait? I'd think they'd have a thousand copies of that one.

He's probably being throttled because he rents too many movies.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'm 30 minutes into The Happening. Apparently Shyamalan didn't take "Creating Tension 101" or "Getting Emotions Out of Your Actors 101" at film school.

The Rifftrax is hilarious so far.

Was Mark Wahlberg given the instruction to anti-act?

Hot dogs, everybody, hot dogs.

Oh, yeah. Lemon Drink.

Last edit: One of the funniest Rifftrax they've ever done.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 24, 2008

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New short available,

NotJust4Breakfast
Feb 13, 2002

Sweet but Crude

Mister Kingdom posted:

Hot dogs, everybody, hot dogs.

Hhhot Dhogs.

therochester
Jan 31, 2003

by Ozma

Mister Kingdom posted:

Last edit: One of the funniest Rifftrax they've ever done.

Maybe I was just in a jovial mood today, but I giggled and guffawed constantly while watching this. Probably my favorite Rifftrax experience ever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

New short available,

Got done watching this one and its just a plain bizarre short. Its another one of those "training manuals for aliens" shorts where they explain some really really basic information. Like, you need to eat food to have energy to do things. Also after eating you will eventually have to take a poo poo. You should try going to the bathroom at the same time every day but if you feel the need to at other times you should go then, too.

Pemmican
Sep 29, 2008
I caught that free sample of "The Incredible Hulk" last week, great stuff!

It really helps when they pick media which is goofy/improbable on its own, and late 70's - early 80's television is probably rife with material. They riffed a few episodes of the web series "Star Trek: New Voyages," but I'd like to see them wrestle the rights from Paramount's greedy clutches, and start on some Next Generation and Voyager episodes, the latter especially. "Alien spaceships" with a table, two chairs, and a curtain hanging in the back.

Once I get back on that ol' job train, I plan to watch the following, au riffe:

"Beowulf"
"Ironman"
"The Matrix"

What makes riffing so great and timeless is that there's this perception that schlocky, poorly produced films/TV don't get made anymore. If anything, it's increased...

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Pemmican posted:

They riffed a few episodes of the web series "Star Trek: New Voyages," but I'd like to see them wrestle the rights from Paramount's greedy clutches, and start on some Next Generation and Voyager episodes, the latter especially.

They riffed Generations already if you want that Next Generation riff. It's a pretty good one, though I think it would get old if they did a few episodes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They don't need anyone's permission to do riffs. That was the whole point of Rifftrax. So nothing's really stopping them from doing episodes of other shows they just wouldn't be presynced like the Hulk one was.

Pemmican
Sep 29, 2008

TheDingo posted:

They riffed Generations already if you want that Next Generation riff. It's a pretty good one, though I think it would get old if they did a few episodes.

Oh okay, thanks! They have quite a library of riffed material, no surprise that I missed that one. Actually have that one on tape, I wonder if I could synch the riffing with it - have to check the version, etc.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Pemmican posted:

Oh okay, thanks! They have quite a library of riffed material, no surprise that I missed that one. Actually have that one on tape, I wonder if I could synch the riffing with it - have to check the version, etc.

As long as the versions are the same, you can sync with the tape.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I have a semi-Rifftrax related questions. I've been watching some old MST3k lately, and am I the only one who just cannot watch most of the episodes where Joel hosted? The guys a genius for coming up with the show, but the slow delievery, the invention exchanges that were never funny, and some other things just make it impossible for me to get into it. I also don't like the original Crow as much as I do the newer guy who is now on Riffrax with Mike. Maybe it's because the first MST3k thing I ever saw was the movie, and then went into the episodes with Mike in them and never saw anything with Joel till recently. I try to like him, I even watched some of the Cinematic Titanic stuff he did recently, and couldn't get into it at all either. Am I the only one? Is there just something wrong with me?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax." The Joel vs. Mike debate has been raging for over 10 years.

Edit: I saw the Happening rifftrax earlier. 5/5 would watch again.

fenix down fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 27, 2008

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

fenix down posted:

Repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax." The Joel vs. Mike debate has been raging for over 10 years.

Edit: I saw the Happening rifftrax earlier. 5/5 would watch again.

It just seems to me that I should like it. Mike was a writer on it for most of the stuff I watched. Ah well.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

It just seems to me that I should like it. Mike was a writer on it for most of the stuff I watched. Ah well.
Many people, including Mike himself, think that the invention exchanges were a lot more creative than the cheesy skits of the Sci-Fi era.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

fenix down posted:

Many people, including Mike himself, think that the invention exchanges were a lot more creative than the cheesy skits of the Sci-Fi era.

I'm not a huge fan of the skits either, especially in the later seasons with Pearl and the different eras of time. But i would get an occaisional chuckle from them. The inventions exchanges hardly had me crack a smile. I don't know, like I said, I think I should like them, I just don't, and it makes me sad that I'm not able to enjoy 5 seasons worth of the show. Although the Manos one is still hillarious. That was actually the first one I saw with Joel, and the first time I was ever aware of anyone but Mike having hosted the show, and I really dug it, so I watched more and...:(

Pemmican
Sep 29, 2008

fenix down posted:

There was that whole "Mike was a temp, Joel was a Gizmonics janitor" in-show explanation during the Legacy run, though most of the exchanges came from Joel's stand-up routines. I like to think that the exchanges didn't really stop; please to reference "The Starfighters," where the Mads' cranial ports are beaten down by Cowboy Mike's Barbeque sauce. It's bold.

People generally loved or loathed the host segments, which sort of gives Rifftrax an advantage over Titanic in capturing the "no host segment" audience.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

TheJoker138 posted:

I have a semi-Rifftrax related questions. I've been watching some old MST3k lately, and am I the only one who just cannot watch most of the episodes where Joel hosted? The guys a genius for coming up with the show, but the slow delievery, the invention exchanges that were never funny, and some other things just make it impossible for me to get into it.

As far as riffing, I can't imagine the Joel episodes working as well with anyone else and the same way with Mike episodes. As far as the host segments, I think their quality falls less along Joel/Mike lines and more along Comedy Central/Sc-Fi lines.

TheJoker138 posted:

I also don't like the original Crow as much as I do the newer guy who is now on Riffrax with Mike.

I can't stand Bill Corbett as Crow, yet I adore Bill Corbett as Bill Corbett. Figure that one out.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I can't stand Bill Corbett as Crow, yet I adore Bill Corbett as Bill Corbett. Figure that one out.

Bill was never quite as good as Trace as Crow. But, I still enjoy his riffing.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Agreed - Trace *was* Crow - and Doctor F.. Bill did a good job but it never was "right" - just like Tom Servo is always going to be Kevin Murphy to me.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I started watching when it was on Sci-Fi Channel (Giant Spider Invasion was the first episode I saw and it was on my eleventh birthday or so). So Bill Crow is the Crow for me. Not that I don't like Trace's Crow, though. I think we can all agree that Josh's Servo was dull.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gaseous Snake posted:

I started watching when it was on Sci-Fi Channel (Giant Spider Invasion was the first episode I saw and it was on my eleventh birthday or so). So Bill Crow is the Crow for me. Not that I don't like Trace's Crow, though. I think we can all agree that Josh's Servo was dull.

I agree with this. Bill did Crow in the movie right? And Kevin IS Servo.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

In other news, the Rifftones have won Masters of Song Fu 2. Their entry for the final round was "Love Theme from JAWS (When a Man Loves a Shark)." Indeed, I too am going to need a bigger heart after that song that I may contain the love I have for these guys.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

TheJoker138 posted:

I agree with this. Bill did Crow in the movie right? And Kevin IS Servo.

Trace did Crow in the movie. Bill didn't start until the Sci-Fi era.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

ManiacClown posted:

In other news, the Rifftones have won Masters of Song Fu 2. Their entry for the final round was "Love Theme from JAWS (When a Man Loves a Shark)." Indeed, I too am going to need a bigger heart after that song that I may contain the love I have for these guys.
The nice thing about it is that no one can say they are winning just because of Rifftrax fans. Their songs are consistently solid musically and comedy-wise.

Pemmican
Sep 29, 2008

Gaseous Snake posted:

Same; I'd caught a few of the syndicated Joel episodes, but I was mainly introduced to the show on Sci-Fi.

I tend to think that while Trace's Crow defined the character, Bill's did a great job of development after his 500 years alone on the SOL. Few people stand up for Josh's Servo, especially since they were still tinkering with the puppet design during the first national season. On the other hand, they really admire his riffing.

Gypsy had what, three different voice actors, none of them women?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Pemmican posted:

Gypsy had what, three different voice actors, none of them women?

Josh did it first, then Jim, and finally Patrick Brantseg.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax/indiana-jones-and-kingdom-crystal-skull

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal is now available.

Anomalous
Jun 27, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Just finished up Crystal Skull, great riff.

Ah good, Mr. Saves-His-Urine-In-Jars has a plan.

Stupid Aztecs.

Pemmican
Sep 29, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax/indiana-jones-and-kingdom-crystal-skull

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal is now available.

Yep, I peeped that preview! Wonder if the bleeped out portion near the end is left uncensored in the real commentary.

Since a lot of folks didn't like Crystal Skull, this could be a great title for them. At the risk of going off topic - eh, I was happy to see Indy back. There are plenty of points where the riffers can skewer the plot (a-bomb v fridge, for example), but the series was always sort of done tongue in cheek, an homage to adventure movies of the 1930s-40s.

So what if the plot went a little sci-fi? Spielberg always did like aliens, I dunno. More fuel for the mockery!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pemmican posted:

Yep, I peeped that preview! Wonder if the bleeped out portion near the end is left uncensored in the real commentary.

I just watched the Iron Man Rifftrax last night. There were beeps in the Riff. They won't swear in a Rifftrax if they don't do it in the movie. I think they said they would scale the Riff to the movie's ratings, so if you're watching a PG movie, then it would be PG too.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

IUG posted:

I just watched the Iron Man Rifftrax last night. There were beeps in the Riff. They won't swear in a Rifftrax if they don't do it in the movie. I think they said they would scale the Riff to the movie's ratings, so if you're watching a PG movie, then it would be PG too.

They did mention something like that, but usually they are far more conservative that the actual rating. Not that they need to swear to be funny, but even for the movies with stricter ratings they will often do a very family friendly riff. I actually did a double take a couple nights ago when watching the Plan 9 From Outer Space (which definitely falls in the G to early PG category) riff and heard Kevin proclaim "Bullshit!"

Pemmican
Sep 29, 2008

TheDingo posted:

They did mention something like that, but usually they are far more conservative that the actual rating. Not that they need to swear to be funny, but even for the movies with stricter ratings they will often do a very family friendly riff.

They got away with a few "shits" during MST3K: The Movie. Definently though, they try to keep their material at about PG-13, around the range of a TV-broadcast of an R rated film.

I often wonder what a totally uncensored riff-fest would sound like - luckily for us, they'd be sure to keep out the "Beavis and Butthead" material ("poo poo poo poo FUCKER! etc.), but I'm sure they could work in some good stuff with the more risque words.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
New short is up:

Good Eating Habits

e: Just finished watching the Indiana Jones riff.

South Park was right.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 1, 2008

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Mister Kingdom posted:

New short is up:

Good Eating Habits
This one had me laughing the entire time. What causes stomachaches? Obviously not skipping lunch and buying soda and cookies and candy, but eating too quickly!

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
How is the new Rifftrax for Indy?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

GeauxSteve posted:

How is the new Rifftrax for Indy?

The riff is okay - lots of Indy is really old jokes. The movie is another story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

muscles like this? posted:

Got done watching this one and its just a plain bizarre short. Its another one of those "training manuals for aliens" shorts where they explain some really really basic information. Like, you need to eat food to have energy to do things. Also after eating you will eventually have to take a poo poo. You should try going to the bathroom at the same time every day but if you feel the need to at other times you should go then, too.

So does anyone know why Cathy doesn't eat breakfast? I've been absolutely baffled by that one ever since I saw it.

• Locked thread