Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
A new short is out - Know For Sure.

Looks like a VD short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Gonna chime in and say that my iRiff for Labyrinth is out:

http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/labyrinth

Any other goons working on iRiffs?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Behonkiss posted:

I'm trying to get some of my friends involved in a Hellraiser III riffing. Whether it'll ever occur remains to be seen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

A new short is out - Know For Sure.

Looks like a VD short.

I really liked this short. I thought it was hilarious especially the broad ethnic stereotype of Tony Madrone and the patronizing way of the white doctor.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Behonkiss posted:

I was working on an X-Men 3 riff for a while but rewatching that appalling tumor of a film broke me in the end. I am now doing an AvP riff in my spare time which I find far more enjoyable. The movie is another cancerous growth on the film industry, but there's so much material to work with (the tired old X-men jokes wore thin) that it's alot of fun mercilessly taking the piss out of it.

I know the lads used to timecode their riffs when working on MST3k - and I assume Rifftrax - but personally, I write in a format like this:

"line of lovely pretentious dialog"
my super funny and oh so cutting witticism here

"another line of atrocious mind-numbing shittitude"
more bitingly funny and hemorrhage inducing snipes here

ALIEN FARTS IN MY GENERAL DIRECTION
oh ho ho, paul ws anderson, you've done it again!

How do you guys do yours?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

I really liked this short. I thought it was hilarious especially the broad ethnic stereotype of Tony Madrone and the patronizing way of the white doctor.

I think my favorite moment was:

Tony, your baby was born dead.

*HONK*

Risky
May 18, 2003

Mein Eyes! posted:

Do you think they still have access to the info club?

As long as I have been a MST3K fan I never opted to join the info club. I didn't even know it was still being maintained.

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!
I just saw my first rifftrax, for The Happening (which I had not previously seen). Made it slightly less painful. I'll definitely be watching more riffs for movies I actually like.

God drat that was an awful movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think my favorite moment was:

Tony, your baby was born dead.

*HONK*

Then when he was cleaning the paint off the window,

"I'm sorry, I'm not sure what emotion is being portrayed here because no one's dropping a squeeze box."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Behonkiss posted:

I watched your sample and... is it wrong that I have that song on my iPod?

I'll definitely pick yours up, since I've been looking for an excuse to finally sit down and watch that movie.

quote:

The Superman in Japoteurs iRiff I did has done pretty well, holding a spot as the top short for a while. Right now we're working on Mortal Kombat: The Journey Begins, a 40-minute animated atrocity that video stores had as a free rental as a way to promote the MK movie. Luckily, the sound and delivery issues from Japoteurs have been improved on immensely.

I'm probably going to do a quick rushjob of Frosty Returns for the holidays and charge the minimum for it because I hate that special with a passion and need to get it out of the way.

Anyway, rather than just self-shilling, has anyone looked at any iRiffs that turned out to be pretty good? There's a couple by Cartoon Chaos that I found hilarious. So far he's done Grampy in Be Human and Gabby Goes Fishing.

Someone covered Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue, which I thought was an inspired idea, but the sample comes off as really weak. A shame.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Gavok posted:

I watched your sample and... is it wrong that I have that song on my iPod?

I'll definitely pick yours up, since I've been looking for an excuse to finally sit down and watch that movie.

Thanks for picking it up, and don't feel bad, I have the whole soundtrack on mine. :)

I put up a second sample for those who watched the first and are still on the fence. There are less dead space bits in this one, I feel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQtKf4d854Y

I bought the Cartoon All-Stars one and it's all right. Definitely some funny bits in it, but way too many jokes that are basically the same "PLEASE END THIS" or "THIS IS SO BAD" bits instead of something clever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I will never watch an iRiff because I really, really don't care what anyone else has to say.

Savantegarde
May 28, 2006

That was a stupid thing to say. And you're stupid for saying it.

I will never watch an iRiff because I really, really don't care what anyone else has to say.

You're missing out. Some iRiffs I have seen have been excellent.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.
Name one in particular for me to start from? I've been avoiding them so far.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Revolvyerom posted:

The Grampy in Be Human one in my post above is worth a try. The guy has a very unique, loud and intense style to him that I enjoyed. Plus a lot of it comes from the source, a bizarre Betty Boop cartoon where a farmer horribly brutalizes animals until Betty summons an old man to show up, kidnap the farmer and torture him just as badly. It's pretty messed up.

Luckily nearly all of these have samples to look at first, so it isn't a total crap shoot.

Edit: I'd also suggest mine, but while the jokes have gotten good enough reviews, enough people are cheesed about the sound issues that I wouldn't want it to sour the whole iRiff concept for you.

Gavok fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Nov 28, 2008

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

with the extra short Shake Hands with Danger.
This is a safety film that was riffed on a few years ago by some Brits.

Savantegarde
May 28, 2006

Revolvyerom posted:

Incognito Cinema warriors doing Lady Frankenstein is great, it's the closest thing to a MST3K episode you will come after the shows cancelation. The only downside is that its about a 7 or 8 dollar investment, but you get a solid download that includes the movie, rifftrax, and even some skits.

Also riffraff theater doing Speed was also very funny. I invested in their Tron, but although it had its moments that was a bit more meh.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
I thought that guy with the glasses' iriff on lion king was really good. You should check it out. Hm.

rubics
Jun 14, 2006

Night is like life, short and illusory.
This is going to be a really random comment, but I think that Mike & Jerry from Penny Arcade would be able to do a solid iRiff. Obviously there's no way to make that happen, but I get a mst3k vibe from their occasional podcasts.

Is the general consensus for the Happening still that it's a solid outing for the riffers? After another Thanksgiving day MST3k Marathon, I am in the mood for some new stuff.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

rubics posted:

Is the general consensus for the Happening still that it's a solid outing for the riffers?

Yes. A month after viewing it, the sight or mention of a hot dog gives me the giggles.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Yes. A month after viewing it, the sight or mention of a hot dog gives me the giggles.

We cant go that way! WE DONT HAVE ANY HOT DOGS.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
The DVD is kind of disappointing, The exclusive short is pretty good but the 3d characters lack the charm and simplicity of the MST3k silhouette. Also, the frame during this short took up way too much of the screen. The rest of the DVD feels kind of cheap since its pretty no-frills.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Lobsterboy posted:

We cant go that way! WE DONT HAVE ANY HOT DOGS.
Hhhhhhhhoooooooootttt dog.

The Happening is a very solid riff as the movie itself is such a perfect candidate for mockery. The thing is so overblown and hammy, with some of the worst dialogue and acting yet seen in a big budget motion picture. The Riff takes full advantage of these and actually has become one of my favourite riffs.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah I love it for the same reason. I just can't get into it when they riff a good movie. It's just not the same as tearing into a real shitheap like The Happening.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah I love it for the same reason. I just can't get into it when they riff a good movie. It's just not the same as tearing into a real shitheap like The Happening.
Yeah, that's the reason I still haven't got over half way through the Memento rifftrax. Cos goddamnit, the film is good!

It's also why the Alien riff is pretty weak, a decent movie does not a good riff make.

There are obviously exceptions, like the Lord of the Rings, as the Fellowship was a good movie and a good riff. Two Towers though was a good movie but a loving terrible riff.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Plavski posted:

There are obviously exceptions, like the Lord of the Rings, as the Fellowship was a good movie and a good riff. Two Towers though was a good movie but a loving terrible riff.

Whaaaaaat? I didn't even make it halfway through the Fellowship riff, while the Two Towers one was excellent, one of my favourites (and I love the movie).

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

peer posted:

Whaaaaaat? I didn't even make it halfway through the Fellowship riff, while the Two Towers one was excellent, one of my favourites (and I love the movie).
The Two Towers was nothing but a string of obscure references to people. Just endless barrages of jokes that miss the mark and a ridiculous degree of people jokes. Every second joke was just saying an obscure name and it was quite, quite boring. You could tell they were really struggling for jokes and their energy was rock bottom. It seems like they just wanted to get this out of the way and the forced nature of the riff is probably the reason they still haven't done a Return of the King riff yet.

Savantegarde
May 28, 2006

Plavski posted:

The Two Towers was nothing but a string of obscure references to people. Just endless barrages of jokes that miss the mark and a ridiculous degree of people jokes. Every second joke was just saying an obscure name and it was quite, quite boring. You could tell they were really struggling for jokes and their energy was rock bottom. It seems like they just wanted to get this out of the way and the forced nature of the riff is probably the reason they still haven't done a Return of the King riff yet.

I think your copy of Two Towers riff must have been defective, because I remember the Two Towers riff being excellent and nothing like the abortion you just mentioned.

Different strokes, I guess.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Why haven't they riffed "The Core" yet? It seems so perfect as it is such a terrible movie that takes itself seriously with a big budget, recognizable actors, and hilarious psuedoscience. It's made for riffing.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
So the Indiana Jones Riff was lame? I just got the DVD from a friend and wanted to Riff this sucker but not if it's not worth it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Candy Dawn posted:

So the Indiana Jones Riff was lame? I just got the DVD from a friend and wanted to Riff this sucker but not if it's not worth it.
I thought it was weak which was pretty disappointing, as the movie is eminently riffable. Pity as I was looking forward to it after the merciless ripping myself and my housemate gave it on first watch.

Savantegarde
May 28, 2006

Now who didn't see this coming from a mile away...

And two face is apparently half green. Lately their superhero riffs have been a dime a dozen, there last riff was X2 and now this. I wish they would do a little genre exploring...

Savantegarde fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 4, 2008

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Savantegarde posted:

Why not bankroll on a movie that they can piggyback on and make a significant profit while the timing is right?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

IUG posted:

Why not bankroll on a movie that they can piggyback on and make a significant profit while the timing is right?

I wish they'd do Hellboy 2. That movie is good enough to sit through but does a number of stupid things that should be made fun of.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Cool I was gonna watch Dark Knight again anyway. :D

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Savantegarde posted:

I did, and it's loving disappointing as hell that they did it. The Dark Knight was one of the best movies of 2008, any riffing they'll get out of it is going to be really half-assed and not nearly as biting as doing Babylon AD or some other recent movie that was actually BAD.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

I did, and it's loving disappointing as hell that they did it. The Dark Knight was one of the best movies of 2008, any riffing they'll get out of it is going to be really half-assed and not nearly as biting as doing Babylon AD or some other recent movie that was actually BAD.
Sadly that's really true. They are just riffing comic book movies and what-in-the-name-of-christ-are-you-doing movies like Memento. I want more lovely movies in the vein of Battlefield Earth, Cloverfield, Jurrassic Park, Over the Top and The Happening.* These days they seem to be going for the predictable commerical ways out like Iron Man and now the Dark Knight. There are an ocean of awful movies out there, I wish they didn't feel they have to keep up with modern DVD releases, comic fads or riffing on actually highly regarded and decent movies.

For example, I couldn't get into the Raiders of the Lost Ark riff, because god damnit, the movie is too much fun. It has a real sense of humour about itself and doesn't take itself seriously at all. Hence it's a loving awful target for riffing. Battlefield Earth on the other hand takes itself deathly seriously and is totally farcical on so many levels. The same rule applies to any M Night Shamalamadingdong movie.

I can't help the sad nagging feeling that Rifftrax are really dipping into a bad area of movie choices. Rifftrax itself has to fight a bit harder than MST3k because unlike that show, Rifftrax doesn't have the natural charm of the robots and the situation. Rather than the conceit of being a guy and his robots trapped in space preserving their sanity, they are just three crotchety old guys shouting abuse like Statler & Waldorf. This can wear thin without good source material to work on I find.

Granted, The Dark Knight might well be the greatest riff of all time and might completely blow my super-thick winter socks into a geostationary orbit, we just don't know yet. I think however, that my feet shall remain toasty for the time being.

* Five of my very top rifftrax's btw guys.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They do practically every big movie that comes out. I don't see how anyone is surprised. Don't loving buy it if it bothers you.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

GreenNight posted:

They do practically every big movie that comes out. I don't see how anyone is surprised. Don't loving buy it if it bothers you.
Who shat in your cereal? People aren't allowed opinions now and can't actually discuss rifftrax in any light they choose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Plavski posted:

Who shat in your cereal? People aren't allowed opinions now and can't actually discuss rifftrax in any light they choose?

This:

Der Shovel posted:

I did, and it's loving disappointing as hell that they did it.

Hit a nerve cause its ridiculous that someone is complaining about something which they've been doing since day one. It's been mentioned in their forums that the largest sales they have are new release DVDs of popular movies. The lowest sales are unknown, bad movies which is unfortunate cause they are the funniest, hence my opinion of if you don't like it then don't buy it.

• Locked thread