Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I also liked the fact that Chloe from 24 is the PA to the vice-president of a bank, yet is apparently so badly paid that she has to live in a crack house and drives a lovely old car that barely runs.

Oh, and the world's best wifi connection! And the villain who to teach Harrison Ford a lesson kills one of his own men! And death by blender!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Alexandr posted:

"Krankor!"
"Crank-whore"?

Even if it's only apparently a middling riff, I still want to hear what they've done with Crystal Skull. Why the hell isn't there a PAL version yet?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Hooray! The PAL version of Crystal Skull finally went up, so I'm having a Harrison Ford double bill today; Crystal Skull this morning, and Star Wars tonight. I enjoyed the new Indy one, so hopefully Star Wars will be as good or better...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
When are they going to put up the PAL track for The Empire Strikes Back, for chrissakes? Mike! I have money! I want to give it to you!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
drat it, have they stopped doing the PAL Rifftrax? Titanic, Fast And Furious and soon Transformers 2 are just begging to be mocked.

Is there an exact percentage I could speed up the NTSC riffs in Audicity or similar to PAL lengths?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The dolphins screaming "DEATH TO TITANIC!" every time they jumped out of the water had me in stitches, and the whole riff was great. Three hours just flew by.

And they got "I'm gonna sink this bitch" in there too.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I don't have the editing software to test my theory, but I'm positive if you cut out all the completely superfluous poo poo like the parents, the roommate, megan "open-mouthed dull surprise" fox, the 486 fart jokes, and the minstrel-bots, you'd be left with 20 or so minutes of pure awesome robot destruction.

Then you just cut the obnoxious dialogue and set the whole thing to a Pantera album and you'd have the most badass music video ever, as opposed to the worst piece of bloated blockbuster poo poo ever made.

The same can be done for the first one, just cut out any female or black characters and you have a tight, almost decent movie.
I made a version of the first film that only includes shots with actual robots in them - you know, the Transformers of the title.

It's 39 minutes long. Which means that over an hour and a half of a movie about transforming robots does not actually feature any transforming robots.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mister Kingdom posted:

This may be a nitpick, but it seemed that, in the second movie, the robots appeared to have way more parts in robot form than they could possibly have in their not-robot form.
They did in the first film, too. The first time Bumblebee turns back into a car, the cabin's completely filled with machinery.

The idea of Shia and Megan being ground up by whirling robot parts when they get into the car is oddly appealing.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

PissChrist posted:

Saw that on Bill's twitter account. Any ideas what they might be Riffing next?
Big, duh. :v:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm watching Jedi with the Rifftrax right now, and Threepio's "Oh! How horrid!" immediately followed by "A gungan!" absolutely cracked me up.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Jesus Christ, I just watched Santa And The Ice Cream Bunny, and I am honestly hurting from laughing so much.

It wasn't so much from the individual riffs, more from the inexorable rising tide of "What the gently caress am I looking at?" incompetence and insanity that they accompany. By the time the Ice Cream Bunny himself finally showed up, to the mournful wails of his siren of horror, and Bill started doing his Krankor laugh whenever this awful, retarded, stroke-afflicted rabbit-thing got a closeup, I'd completely lost it and was literally crying with laughter. I don't think even the best MST3K episodes left me that helpless.

The movie itself... what can be said? Even Manos at least had a narrative of sorts, and Hal Warren must have seen a movie before.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

mobo85 posted:

It seems odd that the title of "Director of the Worst Movie in Known History" has been passed from "a fertilizer salesman from El Paso" to "the believed real-life inspiration for Steve McQueen's character in The Great Escape."
I was wondering if you were taking the piss, but then I looked on IMDb and holy poo poo. Funny how things turn out, huh?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
On top of being sleazy, sweaty and somewhat incontinent, Santa was so lazy and inept that I wanted to punch him. Ten whole minutes must have been taken up with a repeating cycle of "Oh, I'm soooo hot!" [Wipes away sweat, random animal fails to shift the sleigh] Hey, moron! Maybe if you moved your fat arse out of the sleigh, you might be able to free it from the light coating of sand holding it in place.

It's always annoying when movie characters act like imbeciles because the plot demands it, but in this case there was no plot, just a fat man in a fake beard whining a lot, soiling himself and narrating a recursive series of other stories. It defies belief how anyone could have thought making this was in any way a good idea, even if it was intended to shill Pirates World (not a possessive, just a world with a lot of pirates).

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

bobservo posted:

Has anyone pointed out that this dude directed MST3K movie Rocket Attack USA?
Help me.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I saw a trailer for some UK talent show last night which featured a dance troupe called Cerebro, and couldn't stop myself from blurting out "...Magneto." :smug:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Slasherfan posted:

Watched Santa And The Ice Cream Bunny. Who the hell thought that movie was a good idea? Let's have Santa stuck in the hot sun for about 20 minutes then he'll tell the kids a story in which we'll cut to another awful movie we made. I like the way Santa tells a story of someone else telling a story.
Wasn't it even more recursive than that? I'm sure at one point there were at least three layers of narration, like some horrible nightmare version of Inception.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Bought The Crater Lake Monster, and enjoyed it - it had that proper late-period MST3K feel, to the extent that if Mike had called Kevin or Bill "Tom" or "Crow" I wouldn't have registered anything wrong about it. And the monster was really rather sweet and endearing - much more so than any of the human characters. Seriously, filmmakers, you're really going to spend the majority of your time with a pair of ambiguously gay drunken redneck imbeciles who spend far too much time wrestling in the mud?

EDIT: also, towards the end of the movie they suddenly reveal that six months or so have passed since the meteor landed. It would have been nice if this had been suggested in any way whatsoever. A fadeout? Shot of a calendar? Anything?

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 11, 2011

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

muscles like this? posted:

Somebody mentioned earlier in the thread when that first came out that apparently the movie had a ton of problems in post production.
Post-production was probably where the least of its problems occurred. :haw:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

precision posted:

Inception isn't a bad riff but the actual film is really good and there's a lot of time they seem to be really struggling to find a joke.
I thought that too. Same with The Bourne Identity, which is a perfectly decent thriller and didn't give them much to work with except for lamely mocking the shape of Matt Damon's head.

I wouldn't say that any movie is unriffable, but some are clearly better targets than others. Mike said himself in the recent Q&A that movies with lots of action are bad for riffing; I guess they're caught in a bit of a Catch-22 as popular blockbusters are likely to have more people buying the riffs, but those self-same movies actually limit what can be done with the format because they usually feature long action sequences.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

precision posted:

I really cannot believe a studio saw that film and said "You know what? We should release this. This will make us money."
More like they saw it and went "Welp, we already spent the money to make this turd, but the sooner we put it out there the more chance that enough mugs will see it to make our losses slightly less crippling."

It'll be interesting to see if Shyamalan can get any worse after The Happening and Airbender.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Watched The Ice Cream Bunny again, and this time for some reason Bill's New York mole absolutely cracked me up. "And besides, he coulda applied for municipal heating assistance from the may-oar's owar-fice!"

But still, nothing can compare with this.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

:stare:

drat, it's the doll from Doom House!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

bobservo posted:

If you're wondering how bad Laser Mission is, Everything is Terrible edited it down to five minutes:

http://www.everythingisterrible.com/2011/06/5-minute-laser-mission.html
Oh god, now I have to buy the Riff.

EDIT: Wait, it's not a Mike/Kevin/Bill joint? drat, not so enthused now.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 26, 2011

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Does anyone else miss the posters with Mike, Bill, and Kevin photoshopped in?
I suppose it's possible that a studio decided to be an arse about their messing with copyrighted artwork. Sometimes publicity material (especially for major movies) comes with long lists of restrictions on how it can/must be used - I remember WB being a particular pain about Harry Potter stuff in my magazine days.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Best line from the Transformers 3 Riff:

Optimus: You die now!
Bill: That's what I say when I choose my lobster.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Silentgoldfish posted:

Shia LeBoef's character is nauseating - like, all opinions of the actor aside he's an amazingly unpleasant lead.
The bit where his (non-Transformer) car gets caught on the security bollards and he just sits there and literally screams for about five solid seconds is utterly :wtc: . Seriously? This is our hero? Movie, I demand to see your supervisor!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tae posted:

Mother fucker, I cannot believe I actually watched this on my screen as that poo poo went on. Did someone look at the previous movies and decided, "No. He needs to be...douche-baggier. MORE."
That was one of the few times where Rosie Whatserface seemed to be genuinely emoting. If you look at her while LaBoeuf is screaming his head off, her expression is pure "What. The. gently caress?" :stare:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
A technical question re: Blu-rays - should you use the NTSC riff whatever region you're in? I noticed that the UK Transformers 3 BR had a different (longer) running time than the DVD, which I'm guessing is down to BRs not being affected by the differences in frame rate between PAL and NTSC.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Universe Master posted:

I'm honestly beginning to wonder if Bay makes his human characters so horribly, despicably unlikable on purpose to make the giant CGI robots seem noble and interesting in comparison. I'm pretty sure he just tells all his human actors to take his scenes full of inappropriate racial, sexual, and scatological "humor" and crank up the scenery chewing to 11 (or in Shia's case, 23) so that he can finally fulfill his dream of a talking robot Oscar winner for Best Actor.
Nah, because none of the robots even have a character. Optimus spouts platitudes/psychotic outbursts, Bumblebee mugs like a bad mime, and I don't think any of the other Autobots had more than a dozen lines over all three movies. The one who talks the most is probably loving Wheelie.

Bay needs to get actual goddamn writers to do his scripts rather than whatever twentysomething flavours of the moment with good agents are pushed in front of him. Nobody's going to hold up the first Bad Boys or The Rock as masterpieces of cinema (and I love The Rock), but they had solid plots and characters with personality and motivation, and had been developed over years rather than being thrown together in a couple of months to meet a pre-decided release date.

The human characters being so horrible might, just maaaaybe, be because Michael Bay is also a horrible person and he thinks that's normal. Which makes the whiny, screaming, angry, entitled, arrogant, prickish Sam of TF3 even worse because he's possibly Bay's avatar.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Pooned posted:

Getting reminded that the same guy that made The rock (best action movie ever made) and Crimson Tide also made Transformers 3 :confused:
Crimson Tide was Tony Scott, not Bay. (It and The Rock were both produced by Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer, though.)

Actually, you know what's really worrying? Don Simpson may have been the factor that made Bay's first two movies infinitely better than his others. Don loving Simpson. He may have been a paranoid, drug-hoovering rear end in a top hat who called in focus groups of Teamsters to choose his female stars on the basis of their "fuckability", but at least he spent time developing scripts.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CapnBry posted:

I fell asleep during Transformers 3 about the 45 minute mark. Who falls asleep during an action movie at 9pm? You're right, not even the Riff saved it. I think you can sum that movie up in one shot: where they pan across present-day The Moon and the Apollo 11 lunar lander is still on the surface. Not just the descent stage, the whole drat thing. It was like Micheal Bay said "No. People won't know it is the loving moon if we don't have the entire recognizable lunar module there [as if Aldrin and Armstrong had never left]".
It was put back by the Historical Sticklers Society, buh.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Remember the caricature jock douchebag in the first movie that was dating Megan Fox? What on earth compelled Michael Bay to turn every single character in the third one into that guy?
Michael Bay is that guy.

Or from various accounts, Michael Bay wants to be that guy, but is actually a deeply insecure nerd beneath all his macho bluster, so overcompensates.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ben Gazzara, star of Mike's favourite movie Road House, has died. :smith:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

weekly font posted:

Plinkett put out a commentary to be listened to with Phantom Menace. Go with that.
If you do that, when he asks you to raise your right hand, do it. Then look around and see if anyone else is doing the same.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

IUG posted:

"Hur hur hurrrrrr".
Hur hur hurrrr!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ha, Mike described Bronies as "chubby little pervs" on Twitter, and has now aroused their wrath.

Mike Nelson posted:

Really?! I make jokes about everything under the sun but the one thing I CAN'T joke about is guys at a cartoon pony kiddie show convention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ballz posted:

Rifftrax teased their new holiday release with this:

:staredog:

If you want to spoil the surprise, it's from this cinematic masterpiece. Ice Cream Bunny, you have met your match.
Love the way he/she/it makes a deliberate, sinister retreat before going "Welp" and ducking out of frame like Horatio Caine delivering a one-liner.

• Locked thread