Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Bert Fegg posted:

This is one of the things I love about them from a craft standpoint - throwing in "gently caress" is just about the cheapest possible way of getting a laugh, it requires almost no thought or talent at all. Of course it's possible to use swearing cleverly, but that's a rare and special thing.

Totally agree. In the very last MST3K episode (Diabolik) the main bad guy is in a yacht and sees a power boat heading towards the yacht. Casually he says, "Is that Stud...coming?" referring to one of his henchmen, Stud. Of course you could make an over the top joke about cum and all that, but Crow merely shakes his head in shock and says "Excuse me?!?!" It's really all that's needed and it represents the high road in humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

3 miles!

I'm loving pumped about this. I've already changed a business appointment so I'll be free for this.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Dutchbag posted:

If I am paying 13 bux for a movie then I am going to get to enjoy that movie I payed for then she we will kiss after

Oh man, I want to put a :goonsay: underneath this so bad, but two things are stopping me.

1.) Single emote replies are probate-able

2.) I kind of agree

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I'm only about 5 miles away from my theater, so I don't to leave for a little while yet. Man, I'm getting giddy.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Man that was awesome. I loved the whole communal feel to it. Hearing another theater laugh just sort of magnified the laughter in my theater. I don't know if Mike, Bill, Kevin or Rich (yuck yuck) read the SA forums, but thanks guys. I really hope you make this a tradition of sorts. It felt like an event for me.

Also, Nashville goons, I saw a couple fedoras in the audience there. For shame!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

Just got back too. We're in downtown Fort Worth so we got lots of disgruntled "awwws" at all the Fort Worth jokes, followed by laughter. It just made it all the funnier, though.

I'm sorry, Fort Worth.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Plavski posted:

Glad it went well. Any technical hiccups like the last live broadcast? How did it work functionally, did it seem pre-recorded or what?

No, it felt very live. I felt an interesting communal feeling about it that I've never felt watching another movie, even though doubtless other people were watching the same movie at the same time. At my theater we had one minor glitch period, but it only lasted a couple seconds.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

saahil92 posted:

That was great! I loved the scene where the aliens meet the humans.

Echoes of the Beanbag chair review in the SA part, as well.

e: yeah, there were a few hiccups, but nothing terrible.

*is an advanced alien

You're stupid STUPID STUPID!!!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Alexandr posted:

At $12.50 each time, I'd do it as much as they would try. God drat, it was the best MST3K-style experience I've had since those first times seeing the show 15 years ago.

I posted this in the MST3k thread, but I really think MST3k missed it's setting. It seems so natural to make fun of movies in a movie theater.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Mastiff posted:

I felt a little that way too, especially when you could hear the Nashville audience laughing. It was also interesting to hear which jokes really hit them and missed my audience.

Yeah, that happened a few times in my audience, too. I was surprised at the age mix in my theater, which was about 70% full. I definitely saw more than a few 40+ people who seemed to really enjoy the show. Good times all around.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Wow, a sold out crowd at the show I went to. Saw a few number of neckbeards, but also some families there too. Loved everything in the show. And like the others, there were hiccups during the short, but other then that it went fine. Also, the Rifftrax site is getting HAMMER right.

Good for them. I hope the song they write for the next one is entitled "gently caress You Jim Mallon We're Making Money Now".

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Alexandr posted:

It's funny, even though they probably had to pay a shitload of licensing to whoever that group was (I can't remember it now, but it was all over the screens before the live show picked up) they contracted to for the theater distribution, they HAD to be getting SOMETHING back in the form of ticket share. Which, on a $10~$15, depending on the area, for 430?-something theaters, most of which were loving FULL, is something you just don't get compared to tens of thousands of people buying a short a week at $0.99.

Still, on general principle...gently caress Jim Mallon. I'd pay $20 for another show like that.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Alexandr posted:

Probably the most unexpected line because you just never know when they'll rip out a swear. They'll drop an F-bomb during an R-rated movie, yet the obligatory Samuel L. lines during Episodes 1/2/3 get bleeped. :(

Which, by the way, the 'thank you for keeping this flight snake-free' line during Flying Stewardesses line got retarded applause at the Nashville originating theater. I liked that.

People clapped a lot in my theater. This whole show did a good job at breaking the "4th wall".

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

DarkPrime posted:

I just got back from the Harahan, LA showing. Very awesome! My jaw is sore from so much laughing. Great job, everyone!

Do you chew on the seats when you laugh? That may be a tad unhealthy.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Mr. Saturday posted:

It took the theater a while to calm down after that one. I was just about in tears, and I didn't know why.

Reminded me all at once of "Bob Evil" from Time Chasers and "Bob Jackass" from Merlin's Shop.

The short was hilarious all the way through, but right at that riff I knew that tonight my diaphragm was in deep trouble and that any apprehensions I had about the show sucking were swept away.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Stuntcock posted:

Back to my nag-free cockpit!

I was there, too. :)

Those particle board yokes were reminiscent of the off-screen human mimicking a telephone wringing in the MST3k days. I guess having a weird circular tool (which was also hanging in the "space ship" I'll have you know), a clipboard, and some wooden semicircles in front of you means you're flying a plane.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

npd2004 posted:

Albany, NY reporting in. That was a great show. It looked to be sold out. I definitely hope this becomes a regular thing.

Anytime the aliens were on screen, especially their gay leader, was comic gold.

Alien: You see I am a soldier of my country, too!

Mike: The country of Homotopia.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Man that alien commander or overlord (or overgaylord) or whatever was a loving movie unto himself. Whenever the male alien was talking to him he kept looking the guy up and down from crotch to face. I was expecting someone to riff about that, but they didn't.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Even though I'm speculating, I have to imagine tonight's show was better viewed than MST3k: The Movie. When I went to go see that the theater was nearly empty except for myself and my friend.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

DarkPrime posted:

The running gag with the detective's gun constantly misfiring was my favorite part. "pchew" "ptang" "pew"

You can tell that guy has never really handled a gun in his life. He was scratching his cheek with the muzzle! The audience at my theater couldn't get enough of that gag...and neither could I, really. I could probably watch alternating shots of Tor singing and that guy flailing around dangerously with his pistol forever.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Plavski posted:

Hmmm... they did that gag in the three riffer version on the site. Also the Tor singing and Bela Lugosi/The Count stuff too...

Yeah but those are the obvious jokes. I can't think of anything else that would have been as funny in those situations. There were definitely a few recycled jokes, though they seemed to tighten up their delivery. There was also more than enough new material to make it well worth while. This is the best of the Plan 9 riffs that I've seen to date. That being said, I can't see the need to do another.

I'd love to see them go back and rehash old MST3k classics like Horror of Party Beach or another Ed Wood stinkburger The Sinister Urge. If they could get the rights to re-riff Mitchell I'd pay $200 to go see it.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Malachi Constant posted:

Also, if anyone's wondering what the freebies are:

* The short, "Flying Stewardesses" (in High quality and portable formats)
* The song, "Plans 1-9" by The Rifftones
* An autographed digital postcard (in high-res JPG and PDF formats)!
* And a set of Plan 9-themed avatars by Len Peralta (@jawboneradio)!

What was the url again for the free stuff? I went to rifftrax.com/nashville which I thought it was, but I appear to be wrong.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Don't post it here. Use the pm system. I'd do it, but I don't have platinum.

Not that it really matters, the site is being hit hard right now by the masses of neckbeards going there.

Also reporting in from Tinseltown in North Canton, OH. Not much to post that hasn't been said already, really. It was great and I'd love to see it again, the audience seemed pretty decently mixed, only a few minor glitches, etc.

Well it still needs a password, which I do in fact remember. How could I forget?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Considering the "code" for it was just a simple word I don't think they'll mind too much if people share it and anyway he was asking for the website not the code.

Well, does anyone have it? I want my schwag. Especially I want that short.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

That's the PW. I was looking for the url :(

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Thanks for the help guys. I was afraid that my love of schwag and schwag would not be united. But you have proven that schwag always finds a way to schwag hoarders like me.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Didn't someone mention that Time magazine gave a plug for this event?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Yup, I found it.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

hoodrow trillson posted:

I just saw it with Josh "Livestock" Boruff at Santana Row in San Jose among a grove of majestic old-growth neckbeards.

I hear you can drive a car between some of their neck folds.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

CannedMacabre posted:

Yeah, this seemed to be a huge success. I did not expect the turnout to be so great here in Springfield, Il. It didn't sell out, but there was a pretty good sized crowd. They could really have something with this format.

I just did some quick (and very dirty) math. Considering that most people are reporting theaters that were 2/3rds full to full and that this showed in 433 theaters, it's not unimaginable to think this thing grossed $300k-$400k. Of course there are a lot of people to pay with that money, but those are numbers I'm sure none of the MST3k guys have seen before. It seems to me if this thing broke even they'd do it again. It must have turned a profit if it was as successful as everyone is saying it was.

I'd love to see one of these maybe every 2 months. Often enough I wouldn't jones for it and infrequently enough it would still feel like an event.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

I haven't followed the MST3k guys very closely since the show went off the air. What's with all the Jim Mallon hatred?

As the EP, Jim Mallon pretty much owns the MST3k franchise. It has been pretty clear that Jim refuses to give dime one to anyone formerly involved in the show from all the DVD re-releases. Also, it is rumored that Joel really left the show because of conflicts with Mallon.

To summarize, gently caress Jim Mallon.

EDIT: He also tried to sink (sorry) Cinema Titanic. Obviously he can't stand seeing anyone from the show making any money without his own thumb in the pie.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I really hope they do another one of these this year. Preferably sometime in between Thanksgiving and Christmas so I can let off some the usual holiday steam by howling at horrible movies.

RE: Goony crowds. It's funny, I think that the forums spend so much time stereotyping goons that the description that has evolved is probably only applicable to a small minority. We're just regular folks, I guess.

That being said, whoever was wearing a yellow fedora at the Nashville theater should be ashamed of themselves. It isn't classy and even if it was, classy people don't wear their hats indoors.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

^^^ Two songs was just about right. He's totally not my thing, but I could stand two songs. Three and I would have started getting angry.

CannedMacabre posted:

Santa Clause Conquers the Martians perhaps? That would be fun.

That would be loving awesome. They could also do some of that crazy old stop animation stuff that still crops up during Christmas time.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Crow_Robot posted:

Coulton went alright in my theater (which had about eight people, haha), but everybody laughed at the people singing along. That was just a bit too much.

Yeah and it seemed hammy and staged. It seems like they asked people to lipsync so they could film them for effect. The joke was probably on the lipsyncers, though.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

ReverendFaux posted:

I took my fiance to this, along with my mom and step-dad (who loved MST3K), and met a friend to. We went to the AMC in Kennesaw, Ga and experienced what seemed to be buffering problems during flying stewardess three times, making several people uneasy that they were going to miss bits of the actual riffing.

By the way, where on the site are we supposed to go to get the free virtual swag?

http://rifftrax.com/plan9live

You have to register for a Rifftrax account if you don't already have one, but it's free and you should be checking their stuff out if you are any kind of MST3k fan.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Hey guys, I don't know if anyone else's on the Rifftrax mailing list (I'd assume all of you since you all signed up to get your free swag), but look at what was in there today.

Another possible future live event confirmed?

It seems like a smashing success on all counts. That has to encourage the guys to do another. I personally can't wait.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Haha...look at Bill with his shirt all hanging open trying to impress the young hot chick.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I would a riffed version of Wild Things. Seems like perfect over the top fodder.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

For those who attended the live show, you need to get this new t-shirt.

Bought instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

That should be called The Rifftrax conundrum. I want to make fun of these horrible abortions, but I don't want to be seen with them in my hands.

• Locked thread