Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pemmican
Sep 29, 2008
I caught that free sample of "The Incredible Hulk" last week, great stuff!

It really helps when they pick media which is goofy/improbable on its own, and late 70's - early 80's television is probably rife with material. They riffed a few episodes of the web series "Star Trek: New Voyages," but I'd like to see them wrestle the rights from Paramount's greedy clutches, and start on some Next Generation and Voyager episodes, the latter especially. "Alien spaceships" with a table, two chairs, and a curtain hanging in the back.

Once I get back on that ol' job train, I plan to watch the following, au riffe:

"Beowulf"
"Ironman"
"The Matrix"

What makes riffing so great and timeless is that there's this perception that schlocky, poorly produced films/TV don't get made anymore. If anything, it's increased...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pemmican
Sep 29, 2008

TheDingo posted:

They riffed Generations already if you want that Next Generation riff. It's a pretty good one, though I think it would get old if they did a few episodes.

Oh okay, thanks! They have quite a library of riffed material, no surprise that I missed that one. Actually have that one on tape, I wonder if I could synch the riffing with it - have to check the version, etc.

Pemmican
Sep 29, 2008

fenix down posted:

Many people, including Mike himself, think that the invention exchanges were a lot more creative than the cheesy skits of the Sci-Fi era.

There was that whole "Mike was a temp, Joel was a Gizmonics janitor" in-show explanation during the Legacy run, though most of the exchanges came from Joel's stand-up routines. I like to think that the exchanges didn't really stop; please to reference "The Starfighters," where the Mads' cranial ports are beaten down by Cowboy Mike's Barbeque sauce. It's bold.

People generally loved or loathed the host segments, which sort of gives Rifftrax an advantage over Titanic in capturing the "no host segment" audience.

Pemmican
Sep 29, 2008

Gaseous Snake posted:

I started watching when it was on Sci-Fi Channel (Giant Spider Invasion was the first episode I saw and it was on my eleventh birthday or so). So Bill Crow is the Crow for me. Not that I don't like Trace's Crow, though. I think we can all agree that Josh's Servo was dull.

Same; I'd caught a few of the syndicated Joel episodes, but I was mainly introduced to the show on Sci-Fi.

I tend to think that while Trace's Crow defined the character, Bill's did a great job of development after his 500 years alone on the SOL. Few people stand up for Josh's Servo, especially since they were still tinkering with the puppet design during the first national season. On the other hand, they really admire his riffing.

Gypsy had what, three different voice actors, none of them women?

Pemmican
Sep 29, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax/indiana-jones-and-kingdom-crystal-skull

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal is now available.

Yep, I peeped that preview! Wonder if the bleeped out portion near the end is left uncensored in the real commentary.

Since a lot of folks didn't like Crystal Skull, this could be a great title for them. At the risk of going off topic - eh, I was happy to see Indy back. There are plenty of points where the riffers can skewer the plot (a-bomb v fridge, for example), but the series was always sort of done tongue in cheek, an homage to adventure movies of the 1930s-40s.

So what if the plot went a little sci-fi? Spielberg always did like aliens, I dunno. More fuel for the mockery!

Pemmican
Sep 29, 2008

TheDingo posted:

They did mention something like that, but usually they are far more conservative that the actual rating. Not that they need to swear to be funny, but even for the movies with stricter ratings they will often do a very family friendly riff.

They got away with a few "shits" during MST3K: The Movie. Definently though, they try to keep their material at about PG-13, around the range of a TV-broadcast of an R rated film.

I often wonder what a totally uncensored riff-fest would sound like - luckily for us, they'd be sure to keep out the "Beavis and Butthead" material ("poo poo poo poo FUCKER! etc.), but I'm sure they could work in some good stuff with the more risque words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pemmican
Sep 29, 2008

Bert Fegg posted:

This is one of the things I love about them from a craft standpoint - throwing in "gently caress" is just about the cheapest possible way of getting a laugh, it requires almost no thought or talent at all. Of course it's possible to use swearing cleverly, but that's a rare and special thing.

Aye; they'd probably only use the ol' F-bomb only if they were quoting a source, like a line from another movie. It'd be great if both riffing franchises did a "Late Nite" series of material where they could swear (but with class) and throw in more sexual humor, or other things they couldn't have done on Comedy Central or Sci-Fi. "Adults only," but poo poo, kids know dem words anyway.

• Locked thread