Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

muscles like this? posted:

On the bright side, The Last Airbender comes out on DVD next week and you just know they're going to riff that. They've been making references to how lovely is in other stuff so you know they've got to be planning it.

And yet they never did Ransom or Air Force One despite constantly referencing them :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Locutus Of Bored posted:

According to Wikipedia, Inception will be released on February 1st and Order of the Phoenix will be the 15th of February. I can't wait for either of them, since The Dark Knight and the other four Harry Potters were solid gold.

Professor Moody: "I'm here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story, goodbye, the end! Any questions?"
Bill: "Uh, yes, *bleep* magnets, how do they work?"

Did anyone else find the Dark Knight riff impossible to follow? The movie changes volume constantly. Loud scene, quiet scene VERY LOUD SCENE, quiet scene, EVEN LOUDER THAN EVER BEFORE SCENE, even quieter scene. So the riffs would either be inaudible, or completely overwhelming the movie.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

broken formica posted:

Did anyone else catch their public service announcement on Facebook?

What really caught my eye was that in the comments section, they said they don't get a lot of donations. That's a bummer because I just sort of assumed that people donated often.

People almost never donate for things like this. It's a joke that people won't just buy the riffs. It is so easy to buy it once and then download it anytime I want in the future. If I'm at a friend's place and want to listen to a riff, all I have to do is sign in and download it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

weekly font posted:

Yeah it's abysmally made on less than a shoestring budget. After it came out the director/some fans tried to turn it into the next Room but there's not enough legitimate heart behind it to latch on to with any kind of love. It's just a really big turd.

I think Birdemic has a lot of heart. It's really stupid heart, but it has it. A guy in line to see the midnight showing described it as "barely a movie" and that is the most accurate description of Birdemic. It has pictures that appear to be moving, but it has nothing else in it vaguely like a real movie.

You only hate this movie because the main character is played by Roderick Strong.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tony Danza Claus posted:

This.

And I was completely zoned out for like 60 minutes. How the hell do people watch this one without the riff? There is literally not a single thing that occurs until the random bird explosions that kick off the 2nd act.

Birdemic is fascinating to watch for all of the horrible dialogue. And "Imagine Peace." I will have to check out the riff soon, I need that movie on Blu Ray anyway.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've been to all the shows and the number of attendees ranged from 25-75 people.

I guess since it's on a Thursday, it's not much of a burden on the theater.

It seems like theaters get a decent cut of events like this (at least compared to first run movies these days) so they are willing to have smaller crowds.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CrumFUNist! posted:

There will never be anything funnier than their Star Wars Holiday Special riff.

There is a riff for a film called "Over the Top."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Did you ever wonder about the credits to Pod People and how none of the footage was actually in the movie?

Well, it came from a movie called The Galaxy Invader and it's the next VOD title from Rifftrax.

Here's a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWl43_jCAxE

Galaxy Invader is one of my favorite D movies. The other movie on the dollar DVD double feature: VIRUS was not. It is seriously worth watching unriffed and I imagine it will be even better riffed. Joe's shirt is a cinematic marvel.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The weirdest thing about Galaxy Invader definitely has to be Joe's shirt. What the hell was up with that? Constantly wandering around with that big hole in the chest and the bottom of the front ripped off.

The art of cinema is creating memorable, lasting images that stay with the viewer. Watching movies shouldn't be a passive experience, films should challenge the audience.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Laser Mission has one of my favorite bad soundtracks ever. I sing along to the theme song whenever I watch it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Deadpool posted:

Holy poo poo Batwoman? I loving love that episode. So drat weird. Can't wait to watch this tonight.

This won't feel right without a cheating short before it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Mutant is a movie so bad I have no memory of ever watching it outside of one line from the first five minutes of the movie. This should be a good one.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Probably Infected posted:

God, Future Force is an absolute black hole of a movie.

Best part was the power glove becoming sentient.

There is a sequel that is predictably even worse. I really hope they do that too. I should get this since it's one of the few VODs I don't own otherwise, and my friend wrote a drat song about this wonderful film, I am obligated to see it again.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
That cylinder short was incredible. I managed to avoid seeing Manos before tonight (I have such a huge collection of poo poo I'm not sure how) so it was pretty cool to see it for the first time this way.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

That's almost impossible.

Manos, Pod People, and Space Mutiny are like THE MST3K episodes. Even non-fans have seen them.

I find Joel's voice really annoying so I try to avoid those as much as possible, they really aren't my thing. At one point I thought I had seen this movie but then I realized I was confusing Torgo and Tor Johnson. I still expected a large bald monster to be involved in this movie until basically the end.

Animal-Mother posted:

Saw (and smelled) some real goonish loving people in that theater tonight.

This one guy behind us kept commenting on my friend's cleavage and how giant it was. She has really normal sized breasts, but thanks giant fat man with unkempt facial hair, you made our night creepier, and somehow more hilarious. I didn't really look around the theater but that guy seemed to sum the audience up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

You hit the nail on the head. The reason people love the originals is because they have a kind of amateurish charm. None of these deliberately bad films will have that feeling.

I have always maintained that the irony that people enjoy these movies through is dramatic irony. The movie doesn't know it's bad, but we do and that is the fun.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

weekly font posted:

No. gently caress that. Self aware sequels to cult films are never ever good. Didn't we just talk about this for Manos 2?

Supposedly he's being told to make the best movie he can.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lazaruise posted:

Are there any riffs that Mike did by himself that are any good?

Over the Top remains my favorite riff. There's some extra Disembaudio in there to give him someone to play off of too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I think that was the longest one.

Also, it occurs to me, did Nguyen not properly secure the rights on Birdemic? Or did Rifftrax have to pay severe royalties to use it in next week's live riff?

Edit: Guess I was wrong, Tim and Eric just hosted the premiere.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 21, 2012

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fenix down posted:

Thank God for Rifftrax, because Hunger Games was a mess. Tracker jackers and muttations galore!

I honestly thought the movie was fine. The Rifftrax made it more enjoyable, but it seemed pretty competent and not as goofy as a lot of the Sci-Fi stuff they do.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Saskatoon posted:

Does he blow up a sign that reads "Battlestar Galactica" in that one?

They would be more likely to blow up a sign for High Noon in this movie.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Deadpool posted:

I don't think it was quite that similar. There were definitely enough new riffs, or variations that it didn't really feel like a retread at all.

Yeah it felt like a lot of the same kind of material, but maybe 10% of the exact same material and that was fine with me.

I still think everything before the Birdemic is way funnier than the Birdemic itself. The awkward romance is just out of this world bizarre.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

One of my favorite "this movie is so dumb" moments is sadly ignored by the riffers. During the basketball scene, there's a line about how they're in the middle of a heatwave in the winter. That's over the line, but whatever. Then about 20 minutes later, there's a scene of Rod going to a pumpkin carnival that's blatantly there to celebrate Halloween. I think the sign even says that it's early October.

Well it did take them what, 10 months to film the thing? Looks like we know when basketball was filmed!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

therealjon_ posted:

It really killed me when they just loaded up into a van full of automatic weapons.

Here's the weirdest thing about the movie: There seems to be a reason for the van to be loaded with automatic weapons. Ramsey is wearing camo as if he's some sort of survivalist/militia guy/whatever. In a movie where absolutely nothing is given a second thought, they actually had the guy with tons of weapons in his car wear something appropriate, like he may have had an actual character.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I usually skip the VODs of movies I already own, but I need to hear their reaction to the absolutely batshit insane line the movie ends on (or close to ends on.) A dollar bill is created to honor the events of the movie. What the gently caress?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I think the VODs are much more lucrative.

I base this on very little.

They pretty much have to be. The movies in the VODs were often Dollar Store or $1 bin at Walmart fodder. You are talking about public domain stuff or things where the rights were so cheap they could be sold at a dollar a piece (often with two movies on the same disc!)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I like the VODs more than the feature riffs because those movies are usually just more terrible. Regular blockbusters may have some parts that can be mocked but something like The Avengers doesn't even hold a candle to a movie like McBain.

For me personally I like the VODs but I've found if I want to watch a Riff with someone else who likes MST3K and the idea of Rifftrax they can't stand the pacing of most of the VODs. I was dying during The Guy From Harlem, but my friend was just bored.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MisterBibs posted:

Am I the only one who feels somewhat bad for Joel?

Guy creates in and stars in a show, leaves in part because of creative differences. Show continues on after him with another guy doing his show.

Show ends, and later on that other guy (and some of your former coworkers) take that concept and do something similar, using movies that open the concept to a broader audience. You do a more dedicated variation, but you're the Other Project to most people.

You quit doing yours, and the other keeps going. Seems like a gut shot. :smith:

If the real story is that logistical problems make CT difficult to do, there's no reason to feel sorry for him. He clearly has other projects he can make money on that are less problematic. If they are losing their rear end on these shows, then I guess I feel bad for him, but at the same time, CT didn't have to go down this path for their business plan, so it's hard to feel too bad.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am hoping for Foodfight!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Did anyone else get a random $10 gift certificate added to their account? I don't remember a promotional email about anything like that, but it ended up working, I spent more than I planned to. Ten Long Minutes is... something else.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I did not, and I hate you.;)

I think they came from making orders from their holiday sales where you'd get a gift code for ordering X amount, so I'm just dumb and forgot. Took me a while to figure it out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Today is the day. They could have stayed silent for the entire film and it would have been worth my money just for the big "line?" joke.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's so ridiculous. The seventies were a Golden Age of bizarre and stupid movies.

God what I wouldn't give for a RiffTrax of The Swarm.

That would be perfect. I want to show more people The Swarm but I never want to make them sit through that marathon by itself.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Dude, no one on Earth should ever even attempt to defend Golan/Globus.

Messenger of Death is kind of good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'd love to see them do Death Wish 3, 4 and 5. There is so much material in them, and I imagine the rights to 5 aren't too expensive. Charles Bronson gets older and older and his love interests get younger and younger.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bobservo posted:

The only satirical elements seem to be the explicit parodies of propaganda, though. Everything else feels like it's played pretty straight, which is why ST is such a failure compared to something like Robocop.

The only thing played straight at the performances, everything else is very over the top. It's one of my favorite movies so I'm sort of excited just to see it on the big screen. I imagine they'll find plenty to make fun of too. I wish they had gotten Mario Bros or something like that, but whatever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

One of my favorite bits from "The Guy from Harlem" is the bit in the hotel where he orders "two New York Strip steaks, well done."

It's funnier every time someone mentions strip steaks or you see them on a menu.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I remember seeing Firehead on a terrible sci fi collection with Future Force and Future Zone, so I am hoping that might be a sign they made a deal with a distributor and we'll see The Cyberstalking and the other stuff on that collection soon. Amusingly enough, I think Space Mutiny was on that set as well.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I finally saw The Apple and I think I genuinely liked it once I understood what was going on. I admired how completely crazy it was, and how I think Lady Gaga may have stolen her entire career from the costumes in this movie. The movie brought on some delusional state that caused me to start blurting our nonsensical praise throughout it, so I feel compelled to rewatch it and collect my thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sanguinary Novel posted:

It has become one of my favorites, oddly enough. Though it's so goofy, the bible allegory so hamfisted and drops in and out on a whim, there is such an earnestness about it that's hard to hate.

I enjoyed that the authoritarian music state wasn't really that evil, they seemed to hand out tickets for a lack of stickers and kick hippies out of a park, mostly. Granted their wild and crazy dance times led to some buildings burning down, but if the firefighters finished their jobs before mandated fun time that wouldn't happen.

• Locked thread