Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
For those who haven't tried Rifftrax, they really make for a great movie experience. Even syncing up the tracks, which is trickier than you'd think, only makes everything more fun.

My favorites: Two Towers, Jurassic Park, Matrix Reloaded, and Alien.

I can't recommend Two Towers enough though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How much better is it than the one for Fellowship?

That one was almost painful to sit through because the movie's so loving long and I didn't find the commentary particularly funny, so it made a long movie even longer.

It is much, much funnier. I actually got Two Towers before The Fellowship, and was really disappointed by Fellowship. Two Towers is a completely hilarious rifftrax from start to end.

What's going to happen when Helm gets home and finds out they trashed his Deep?

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Behonkiss posted:

All right, that's it, I'm doing iRiffs. There have been two movies I have sitting about that I was thinking about doing amateur riffs for, and the prospect of making some cash from it will spur this forward.

If anyone is interested, the two I will do are Super Mario Bros. and Labyrinth.

I'm sure that there are a lot of people here that could put together an awesome script if we were motivated to do so, or had an easy method for it.

(edit - this wasn't meant to sound discouraging. I'd like to see a goon-written project like this though)

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 21, 2008

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

TheDingo posted:

It would be fun to do a goon riff with proceeds going to Child's Play or the like. I think spliting/pocketing the money is pretty silly. This way it will be a bit more laid back and fun and if it does well the cash will go to a good cause.

Yeah, I agree with this. Although anyone is free to do this thing on his or her own, if we set up an open project on the forum here, I think whatever proceeds (if any, as I don't see why we'd even have to sell it) should go towards some charity.

We would need a few people to do the actual voice-overs though. I know there are a couple of very talented voice actors on the forums, so I figure the best method would be to pick a video, set up an e-mail to receive submitted jokes (or have a forums thread, if we don't mind spoiling all the jokes), have a group edit the submissions into a script, then recruit two or three voice actors to read.

I'd also suggest starting with a pretty short movie, like an episode of X-Files or some equally banal-yet-serious show.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

John Pastor posted:

I'm agreeing with this as a suggestion to those considering it. It's very easy to overestimate your ability to offer consistently funny material for hours straight. I've tried to do some things like this in the past and, while everyone can be funny sometimes, being funny for a long period of time with frequency is hideously draining.

Alright, I'm making the thread tonight. I just dug through Hulu.com's selection of lovely 90s shows, so Project Goontrax better work out. :)

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Alright, thread is up!

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Ocean's Eleven was pretty entertaining, and Richard Cheese did a surprisingly good job. A solid addition to the catalog, but its another case of the movie distracting from the track a little.

I hope they do something completely inane - preferably a book adaptation with a consequentially disjointed, accelerated plot. While I've got my fingers permanently crossed for a Return of the King, I'd love to see Mike get started on the Back to the Future or Die Hard trilogies. No matter how good they are, trilogies always get loving crooked by the second film.

Also, has anyone tried out the Star Treks? I don't think I've ever watched any of the films before (though I remember something about a whale and the 80s or some poo poo), so I've been holding off. Are they worth getting?

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

DoombatINC posted:

"The moon is a sadist who makes us do evil
Likes us to suffer and laughs when we fall
He whispers that alcohol makes us immortal
Then he shines with delight when we lose it all"

What the gently caress, Kevin.

This is great.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

JazzmasterCurious posted:

I watched the Episode III one after seeing clips at a mate's house and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would -- I didn't know Kevin was a part of the crew until then, he was always my favourite in MST3K.

I guess I could buy some tracks but, sadly (or luckily) I don't have most of the movies to play alongside the tracks on the site, and I don't want to shell out for lovely movies on DVD. But Mike got the $18 that was left in my PayPal :)

If I get a hold of some of the movies in the list I'll buy some tracks, but most of my mates don't have them either.

The tracks are usually cheap enough to justify just renting the videos and watching once.

I'm looking forward to seeing Day After Tomorrow riffed, but I'm really really not looking forward to seeing the movie again. loving terrible. :argh:

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Fuckity gently caress I did not want to see that movie ever in any way.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Gaseous Snake posted:

I read that they were "thinking about it" once on their forums so I stopped buying the shorts all together. Now I can have them all at once! Bahahahaha!

I was surprised to find that their forums have 8000+ registered members.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Risky posted:

You'd be surprised how many MST3K fans don't know about rifftrax. I walked into a comic book store last year and overheard the employees talking about MST3K. As I was paying for my books I told them about rifftrax and they had no idea the guys behind MST3K were doing anything these days.

Do you think they still have access to the info club?

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Dark Knight riff was pretty great, though its hard to get through a 2.5 hour riffed movie. There were a ton of great lines and much more to make fun of than I remembered. If it wasn't for its one extremely well written and well acted villain, DK would have been a clusterfuck. Recommended.

Not that its directly related, but if you happen to have Netflix and like Rifftrax, I'd explore the Foreign Comedy section of the Netflix streaming content. The non-european films operate on comedic premises that are totally different than western films and thereby make for hilarious what-the-fucks as you try to figure out why the jokes might be funny in their native cultural context. The humor inversion sort of works the same as with riffs.

"He said no?"
"His wife said no - you know she runs that household."
"May Allah save us from female dominance!"
*pause for laughter*

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
They're going to go for miles with Titanic, its a great choice.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
It’s more interesting to say the movie Titanic tells the story of something going from pure horizontality, to perfect verticality to invisibility, than it is to say, “Titanic sucks.” -Jerry Saltz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Yeah, I still haven't reached the end of Transformers 2. What's weirder is that I usually watch these before falling asleep, and that movie somehow makes giant exploding robots so boring that I conk out after two or three minutes.

Star Trek riff was really good.

• Locked thread