Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The world needs more Kevin Murphy songs. At least I think so. So go here, scroll down a bit and enjoy.

http://www.quickstopentertainment.com/2008/08/21/masters-of-song-fu-2-round-1-challenge-voting-begins/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Risky posted:

Does anyone else feel that they crank out rifftrax at too fast a rate to where they seem like they don't take the time to really zero in on clever riffs? I definitely still love what they are doing. I'm not knocking it, but I've yet to see a rifftrax that is a continuous flow of grade A jokes like MST3k episodes such as Time Chasers or Final Sacrifice.

Not at all. They've actually slowed the rate of releases in the last year. There was a time where they were almost knocking out one a week for a while. And putting out shorts in between movies slows down the releases even more.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mister Kingdom posted:

YOU'RE TEARING ME APART!

Keep your stupid comments in your pocket!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You can now learn about Quality, Freshness, and Flavor at Rifftrax.com!

http://www.rifftrax.com/shorts/three-magic-words

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rifftrax is streaming the 2009 Comic Con Panel on their site tonight

http://www.rifftrax.com/live/sdcc09?t=1

quote:

Tonight at 6pm PT / 9 EST login for a webcast of last year's Comic-Con panel! No one (except those who attended the panel) have ever seen this! Watch as the guys riff Shake Hands with Danger live in front of a crowd of 1000+ and then take suggestions on which movie to riff! (Spoiler: the winner was Dragon Wars!)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

As the last man on Earth to not see Avatar, I suppose I'll have to watch it unriffed first. Or should I watch the riffed version, and screw the unriffed one?

You're far from the last man. I'm sure there are many that haven't seen it. Myself included.

Corridor posted:

Goddammit Rifftrax team, slow the gently caress down! I only have lovely Australian speeds, I can't KEEP downloading movies all the time! :argh:

But the MP3s are tiny.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Tony Danza Claus posted:

We've hit another lull for Rifftrax releases, prompting another spree of Shorts purchases. For those not buying them: you messed up big time. $9.90 will buy you 10 of them, clocking in at 1h30m, give or take. How much was the last comedy DVD you purchased, and how much did you laugh throughout?

A Circus Wakes Up had me close to vomiting from laughing so hard. Flying Stewardesses and An Aquarium in Action were both excellent.

I was a bit skeptical with the Shorts purchases before (a normal movie length riff at $2.99 versus a short at $0.99 didn't seem worth it), but the Shorts are seriously underpriced, in my opinion, for how great they are. Each one is the best dollar you'll ever spend.

Yeah, I buy every single short that comes out. I don't think there's ever been a bad one. They are the perfect fodder for riffing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Slasherfan posted:

anyone get the Ghosthouse Riff? Downloading mine now.

Terrible terrible movie and hilarious Rifftrax. Probably one of my favorites now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rirse posted:

Had some money to burn, so I grabbed Magic Christmas Tree, Buffalo Rider, Ghost House (thanks for the coupon above), and a bunch of shorts I got backlogged on. All in all, $36 dollars spent.

Wondering about the few VOD I didn't grab. How is Laser Mission, Hercules, Warriors of the Wasteland, Abraxas, and Galaxy Invaders?

This can't be stressed enough. Pretty much every VOD is awesome. The ones you named, awesome.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That recent short called Friends was rather weird. I have no clue what the purpose of it was.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

My god, within 1 minute, Ghosthouse references both Troll 2 and The Room.

This is amazing.

edit: Oh god, I hope Pepe gets killed. gently caress that guy.

How dare you! Pepe is one of the all time great screen characters of our time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hilarious songs are a staple of the Twilight riffs. They also have tons of call back riffs to each other.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

My favorite is how mad they always get at the needless pauses in the dialogue.

"JUST STRING THE WORDS TOGETHER!!!"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's a new (long) short out: David and Hazel: A Story in Communication

It's another one of those shorts that leaves you feeling confused and realizing that there is no hope and happiness in the world. I loved it. Enjoy!

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 16, 2012

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wandering Knitter posted:

I watched David and Hazel: A Story in Communication and I'm still oddly depressed about it all.

At least with Setting Up a Room the madness took over by the end. With this one I'm just watching a broken marriage drive itself to the edge.

Are there any other 30 minute "shorts" by rifftrax?

30 Minutes? Well, American Thrift is a two parter around 30 minutes. The Case of Tommy Tucker is a two parter around 25 minutes. Call it Free is also a two parter around 20 minutes.

And there's several shorts right around the 20 minute mark.

Individual Differences
Teenage Drug Addict
Back to School with Joan Miller
SeatBelts - The Life Saving Habit
How Much Affection
Friends (Get this if you don't have it already)
William's Doll
Reading - Who Needs It?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

IUG posted:

If you buy the Shorts DVDs, then they combine the 2 parters into one seamless Riff. I think there's even one about America that's nearly 30 minutes that way.

Yeah, I forgot about What It Means To Be An American in my list up there. That one is a two parter that clocks in around 20 minutes as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I almost died during the credits. So loving funny.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this? posted:

I'm aware of that but they tend to do Riffs of movies that are regularly commercially available(the exception of course being the Star Wars Holiday Special but even that was available on Googlevideo.) It makes more sense that they would get a copy of the remaster and then do a live showing of that.

They do VODs quite regularly now. Along with the shorts. They can easily do a VOD for Manos.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Piper posted:

could I get a recommendation for my next VOD purchase? (I've seen Crater Lake, Ice Cream Bunny, Buffalo Rider, Ghosthouse and Galaxy Invader) Of those 5 I thought Buffalo Rider was the best, gotta love that superfluous 2nd narrator.

I'm leaning towards Laser Mission

Laser Mission is great. If not that go with Hercules. Though really I've loved all the VODs.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

nerve posted:

They must not have stopped having him to do it after the first one then, because Jacob's hair is cut in that screenshot, and didn't he not get it cut until the second movie?

Oh god what have I become

Wow. And there it is. You've been converted. You're one of them now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

What would you guys say are some of the best shorts? That sale is awfully tempting to just sweep a bunch into the cart and hit "buy".

I mean this honestly when I say you really can't go wrong with any of the shorts. They pretty much always deliver. They are my favorite part of the entire Rifftrax catalog.

That being said here's a dozen that I believe are above and beyond. In no specific order. Also the names may not be exactly right because I'm doing it off the top of my head from my phone. Down and Out was already mentioned, but it would be in my list too if it hadn't been.

Shake Hands with Danger
Setting up a Room
Drugs Are Like That
David and Hazel
What is Nothing?
Grasses
Improving Pronunciation
One Got Fat
Moose Baby
Three Magic Words
The Trouble with Women
How to Use a Calendar

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

HypnoCabbage posted:

Petaluma Chicken

I was going to put that one on my list but I couldn't remember the name of it and didn't have time to look it up. Even though it's basically only half a short it's great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Why has no one listed Grass and Boxes yet???

You must have skipped over it because Grasses was definitely on my list earlier. And Boxes is pretty ok too, even though I didn't list it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Molothecat posted:

I already went and bought this, because that's the kind of person I am (literally said "Oh, suh-weet" out loud at work when I checked my email) but where have all my d/l options gone? There's only .iso, .mpg, and 2 different kinds of .mp4s.

There's an option to filter out different file types on your files page. Make sure they're not filtered. I haven't bought this one yet so I'm not sure which options should be available for this release. Those might be the only ones.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mister Kingdom posted:

MST3K trivia time:

Frankenstein Island was directed by Jerry Warren. He also directed The Wild World of Batwoman. The actress playing Sheila Frankenstein? Yep, that's the Batwoman. Also, featured is Steve Brodie. He was in Batwoman, too, and starred in The Giant Spider Invasion.

John Carradine's in it, too.

Holy poo poo Batwoman? I loving love that episode. So drat weird. Can't wait to watch this tonight.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

This won't feel right without a cheating short before it.

I'm sure there's a great short you can pick up to watch beforehand!

And wow, this movie was ridiculous. I really need to see some more Jerry Warren stuff. This guy is something else. Mike Nelson said it best: "This movie is like if the plots of Mulholland Drive and Donnie Darko had stupid baby."

X-O fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 21, 2012

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Upon mine vestibule that was a loving bizarre movie. I feel like I just had my brain scrubbed with Ajax.

Seriously. The first hour is kind of mildly weird and a bit boring. But the last half hour takes a hard turn for the crazy and is completely insane.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SnakePlissken posted:

Hey, sorry to barge in here. I was just wanting to say, hey somebody (talented), please make a rifftrax of The Big Lebowski using the Shakespearean script that that brilliant goon scripted a couple years ago.

That wouldn't really qualify as a rifftrax kind of thing. More just a alternate audio track.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Grandpa Pap posted:

There are some very funny riffs, but I would have to admit that they do lose something without Mike and the three-man dynamic.

Mike is the key really. He may not be the single funniest, but he's the key to making it work. The ones by himself are usually great. The ones with him and Kevin are good. But the ones without him, while good, just feel kind of empty. Mike is the glue guy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Tony Danza Claus posted:

False.

The Day After Tomorrow is the best one ever.

It's good. Probably the best of the Rifftrax Presents. But I doubt it'd even crack my Top 25 as far as all the feature lengths go.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

How is the X-Files one with Bill and Mary-Jo?

I'd say one of the lesser ones. Not really Matthew J. Elliot (who I dislike) or Stratton/Varney (who are actually kinda decent) levels. But definitely a lesser riff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this? posted:

I just got done watching this and man... WHAT THE gently caress? The movie was pure, unadulterated gibberish.

I know! Pretty awesome huh?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hewlett posted:

Apologies if this question has been addressed before, but have they started to de-emphasize the MP3s of existing studio movies? The "Latest MP3" the website says they've done was Breaking Dawn part 1. Are they just moving exclusively to VOD stuff now? I love that stuff but their major motion picture Riffs are also amazing, and I'd hate to not get any more of them :ohdear:

Apparently the story is that Mike has been sick for a while that's why the output has been so low in the last couple months. I'm guessing they had a couple things unreleased and have just been slowly putting them out in order to give Mike some time to feel better. At least that's what I've read elsewhere.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, this is now one of my favorites. Everything about it is just the right kind of terrible. I love horribly dubbed films.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Looks like this film is going to be dropping tomorrow according to Mike on Twitter. I can't wait.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Coming not soon enough to a Rifftrax near you,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2Trn7JCHiU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, Birdemic 2 doesn't really look very self aware at all. I was worried it would be and the trailer convinced me that this guy still has no loving clue. Birdemic's biggest problem (and also the funniest part to me) was how terrible it was on a technical level. The fact that I've actually seen children shoot videos on phones with more technical skill is one of the most amazing things about the first movie. And this seems to be following up on that the same way.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Holy poo poo, this movie is amazing. The dubbing makes it even more awful than it already is. And the riff is a classic. One of the best releases in a long time.

"Oh Lawdy!"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I definitely think there's a place for all of them, and do think that a newer film is probably overdue, but that being said the quality of the riffs on the shorts and VODs is undeniably better and I'd rather hear one of those than most of the newer films every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Somehow, I've managed to go my entire life without seeing more than the trailer to this piece of poo poo. And I am legit stunned at what I'm seeing in this video. I mean I've heard about it, but to actually see it is really something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Btl6WCHrbs

I almost wish they'd do a full riff of it.

• Locked thread