Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guvnor
Aug 21, 2002

It's 1973. Nearly dinner time. I'm 'aving 'oops.
While in general, I view iRiffs as a terrible idea (unless the RiffTrax payment system finds a way to penalize every stoned college freshman who decides to use his X-Box Live microphone to record a bunch of incoherent mumblings and fart noises over the audio track to 'Pulp Fiction'), I do think that a bunch of goons could probably cobble together scripts for some pretty funny riffs... especially if Lowtax and/or a few other highly-skilled goons were willing to lend their lovely speaking voices to the actual recording side of it.

Whad'ya think?

Personally, I'm itching to take on Hawk The Slayer (an absolutely terribly 80's sword and sorcery movie featuring Jack Palance and that guy who played Jack's dad on 'Lost') but I'd be willing to pitch in on just about anything, as long as it was properly cheesy to begin with (the original 'Troll,' perhaps?).

guvnor fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 20, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guvnor
Aug 21, 2002

It's 1973. Nearly dinner time. I'm 'aving 'oops.

rereedrumr posted:

This could be a great idea because I bet a lot of people already own the Troll/Troll 2 DVD combo cuz of the Lowtax riff on Troll 2. I have it but still have never seen the original Troll

What do you guys think the easiest way to co-ordinate a mass goon riff would be?
I can think of two options:

OPTION A: Assuming the majority of us will be working off an identical torrented copy on our computers, people watch the movie, writing down riffs and the associated time code as they go. We then post our riff/time code combos into the "Hay goons, lets write an iRiff track for Troll!" thread until it seems like we've achieved critical mass.
Then some thankless bastard sits down and has to copy and paste all this poo poo into a single working script (broken down by 30-second intervals), posts it somewhere we can all see it, and then we decide where we need to shore it up with additional zingers and/or cut out conflicting lines and stuff that just isn't funny.

+ People can contribute one or two jokes if it suits them.
- Probably lots of duplicate jokes and harder to spot gaps.
- Massive thread, and pretty confusing for whoever has to put it all together.

OPTION B: Start with a blank script broken down into 30-second increments. Somebody hosts it on their personal server and tries to keep it updated at least once a day. Contributors download a copy, add their riffs (highlighting all new material) then e-mail the revised version back so they can update the original with the new material.

+ Easier to spot gaps as we go.
+ Less cutting and pasting, especially if only a couple of people are interested in participating.
- Requires more involvement from whomever is hosting the master script.
- May get people working off of old versions of the script, which could lead to problems when updating.

Does anybody want to weigh in with a preference, or suggest a simpler alternative?

• Locked thread