Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

TheJoker138 posted:

I have a semi-Rifftrax related questions. I've been watching some old MST3k lately, and am I the only one who just cannot watch most of the episodes where Joel hosted? The guys a genius for coming up with the show, but the slow delievery, the invention exchanges that were never funny, and some other things just make it impossible for me to get into it.

As far as riffing, I can't imagine the Joel episodes working as well with anyone else and the same way with Mike episodes. As far as the host segments, I think their quality falls less along Joel/Mike lines and more along Comedy Central/Sc-Fi lines.

TheJoker138 posted:

I also don't like the original Crow as much as I do the newer guy who is now on Riffrax with Mike.

I can't stand Bill Corbett as Crow, yet I adore Bill Corbett as Bill Corbett. Figure that one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Candy Dawn posted:

Oh god Netflix FINALLY sent me The Happening and oh my God it was one of their best. Also, how could anyone watch that piece of poo poo without Rifftrax??

By eating lots and lots of hot dogs

Anyway, I thought Indy IV was a terrible waste of time and possibly the dumbest movie of 2008, but then I watched the Happening and, welp.

What I'm astonished did not get a comment was the total lack of reaction by the bystanders. "Huh. Yep, you just plunged a hairpin in your throat. You know, chili would be great for dinner tonight."

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

rubics posted:

Is the general consensus for the Happening still that it's a solid outing for the riffers?

Yes. A month after viewing it, the sight or mention of a hot dog gives me the giggles.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Hey guys, remember when Mike and the guys did Raiders, and everyone thought they did an awesome job with a perfect movie?

Holy gently caress.

<-- :supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

If the latter 75% of the movie is not composed of them heaping praise upon and singing hosannas to Harbor Master Frank J. Silva, I will be so disappointed.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

The correct answer for best short is "Safety: Harm Hides at Home". If only for the hi-larious ELP bit.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Amazing. Probably a top five for me. The Maconaughey (?) jokes are classic.

Seconding this. The giggles and quips when he first appears and climbs out of the tank are priceless. Party at the moooon tower...

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

I still say that Titanic was a good movie.

I can't decide whether I should point out how cliche and hacky it is, or just say "lol, fag"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Tony Danza Claus posted:

The guest riffer on Spider-man 3 (some comic book guy) wasn't very good

That's no comic book guy, that's Minnesota's own James Lileks, a scholar of midwestern kitsch

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

mobo85 posted:

James Lileks's midwestern brand of snark is amazing. It's like if you crossed the MST3K guys and/or Dave Barry with Garrison Keillor.

I will not have you insult James Lileks by conflating him with Garrison Keillor, sir.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Featured Creature posted:

Wow you people seem to dismiss the best one. Reign of Fire. Worst movie ever. And they make it a complete joy.

"Way to squeeze one right out, Matthew" is probably my favorite riff of any RT film. That and everyone being unable to contain themselves during the "Wow, so that's REALLY the performance you're going with huh" scene in Battlefield Earth

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Plavski posted:

And then he slammed it himself in one of the Riffs 'almost as bad as Meet Dave's box office' - or something similar - and I loved Bill even more :D

I never liked Bill's Crow on MST3k; loathed him, in fact. It took Rifftrax to make me fall in love with the man :swoon:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Deadpool posted:

Somehow, I've managed to go my entire life without seeing more than the trailer to this piece of poo poo.

still have my ticket stub from opening night, for serious :c00lbutt:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

My girlfriend posted this on Facebook earlier and as soon as I saw it I wanted to blow my brains out at work :smithicide:

I can't understand why this upsets people so much. I mean, what great and worthwhile things has Lucasfilm been doing with it for the last 30 years?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Vicissitude posted:

I was talking it over with my gf after the Riff and I was wondering if anyone else thought that, at its core, Manos actually had nugget of good premise in it? Something along the lines of The Hills Have Eyes or House of 1000 Corpses, only less gore and more supernatural crap. A bit of rewriting, some decent equipment, direction, and acting, and I think we might have a good and creepy horror movie on our hands.

I thought it was creepy as is, but that had more to do with the late-60s/early-70s grainy-scuzzy snuff film vibe that it shares with the Texas Chainsaw Massacre than anything

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

I just miss Joel's big sleepy voice :smith: And Trace period. Nothing against Bill, whom I actually like way more on RT than on MST.

Anyway, I'd be fine with them going to all VOD, as long as we get the occasional blockbuster that is legitimately terrible and deserves it (Independence Day, Battlefield Earth, Daredevil, etc)

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

Cool As Ice is such a weird movie, like where does he get all those clothes? You see him and his crew ride into town and they don't have any luggage or anything like that.

...much less the fact that his haircut changes several times in the course of a day.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

So uh. I'm watching The Apple. This, um. This certainly is a uh....thing.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Rebochan posted:

That's the most coherent summary of that film I've seen yet.

I crammed that, Viva Knievel, and Breaker Breaker into a 24 hour period. I think I'm officially done with the entire 1977-1980 time period now, thanks.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

One of my favorite bits from "The Guy from Harlem" is the bit in the hotel where he orders "two New York Strip steaks, well done."

"Would you like to come back to my place for a burned steak and lovely scotch? :smug:" is riff of the year.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

precision posted:

On topic, I finally watched the Jurassic Park riff. drat, Weird Al is funny. I wish his songs were that (consistently) funny.

If you want to enjoy Weird Al, stick with style parodies rather than song parodies.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

A friend of mine doesn't care for Rifftrax because I think he takes the movies a little too seriously. He asked how I would feel if they riffed my favorite movie, Blade Runner. I said I'd love to see that. It certainly has its flaws and seeing it riffed would not change my mind about it.

Jaws is my favorite movie of all time, I consider it flawless and without a single wasted moment.

The only thing that annoyed me about the riff of it was that it wasn't funnier (although Kevin singing the "oooooOAAAAAAAH" opera note as the tiger shark's mouth opens absolutely kills me everytime)

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

I have to have more information on this Norman Krasner poo poo. Who made these and why?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Mr. Blastaway posted:

I think they were produced for Showtime to play in-between programs.

Here's an airing of "Welcome Back, Norman" on Showtime from 1980, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdUckp2EnZ8

As for why, I would guess to entertain. I think a lot of people assumed these were educational like most Rifftrax shorts. I still think Encyclopedia Britannica holds the record for the most hosed up "educational" shorts.

Makes sense. I couldn't figure out why these were made, since they didn't seem to educate and the bathroom one seemed a tad risque for a random short film from the 70s.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

rereedrumr posted:

People ask about Schindler's List a lot. I think everyone agrees that it would pretty much be in very poor taste and very poorly received. We did however riff Cool As Ice, which has the same cinematographer as Schindler's List! (Would it be a challenge? Of course. But not in the 'fun' sort of way Casablanca was. The source material would overpower any jokes. Think about how many people say they tune out riffs in a movie like "Thor" for being 'too good', then imagine us joking about a well made film about the horrors of WWII.)

So what you're saying is, even if it comes out, we'll never get a riff of "The Day the Clown Cried"? You've ruined christmas.

Oh, and yes please keep doing VoDs. Not just for convenience, but because riffing that sort of 70s/80s schlock just has something your modern-day blockbuster doesn't.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And of course, Buffalo Rider.

Oh god, Buffalo Rider...

I think you mean BUFFALO RIDER!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's definitely watchable, just incoherent and with a script that's obviously 40 different ideas mashed together. Dennis Hopper brings it if nobody else did. No mammal! :argh:

Really this is the entire movie smashed into 17 seconds and is my favorite Dennis Hopper line delivery of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdrlALQVEKM

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And I really liked how expressive the Goomba faces could be for how simple they were.

I saw this in theaters when I was 14 and would have forgotten it existed for the next 20 years or so, if not for a strange vivid nightmare I had a few days later. In it, a middle school teacher of mine known for being very round and fat but with a small head was following me around silently as one of the movie goombas. Except instead of a lizard head, it was a tiny version of his head with the same "YAAAAY" expressions that the Toad goomba had.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Paper Kaiju posted:

Dear god, MST3K has become retro. :stare:

I knew it would happen someday, but not this soon...

The Joel episodes are now older than "The Brady Bunch" was when the Brady Bunch movie came out. The first airing of "Manos" is old enough to buy beer.

Sleep tight.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Is it normal for a single specific gag in one Rifftrax to make you literally almost have a heart attack with laughter any time you see/hear/think about it?

Five actually.

1 - Bill's "I WANT A MUFFIN." and "I WANT SOUP." during different shots of Old Man Palpatine in Revenge of the Sith

2 - Mike's "oh GOOD one, Gary." as a bird just drops dead after dive bombing the motel room in Birdemic

3 - Jaws is my favorite movie of all time and the Riff is pretty unmemorable....except for Kevin's operatic singing as the tiger shark's mouth is winched open

4 - A close second is in "Safety: Harm Hides at Home" when the departing UFO makes this ascending "WUBWUBWUB" synth note and the guys briefly break out into "Lucky Man"

5 - The all-time winner, and I can't rationally explain why, is when the fake dog bursts into flame in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It's such a brief throwaway shot but Kevin's anguished "MITTENS!!!!!" reduces me to helpless giggling that will not stop.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Is it normal for a single specific gag in one Rifftrax to make you literally almost have a heart attack with laughter any time you see/hear/think about it?

OK add the whole "HAAH!" diner sequence from Terror at Tenkiller.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

The true takeaway from this AMA:
"All the "At Your Fingertips" series, (we just obtained the last three shorts in this series, btw!)"

Ensign_Ricky posted:

drat. I mean, Casablanca is a classic and all, but The Godfather seems like it'd be virtually unriffable.

It is endlessly quotable as riffs though. Just today we made a terrible mess of a coworker's office as part of a stupid prank that takes way too long to explain, but shouting "YA GUINEA BRAT, NOW CLEAN IT UP" at the end made my day a full 30% better.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

See, I feel like Birdemic is a total slog without Rifftrax. The Room is consistently funny and is actually less effective with Rifftrax.

Ditto. Plus without the riff we wouldn't have "awww, birds don't have teeth you stupid idiot" or "I guess she'll no longer be HANGIN OUT, JUST HANGIN OUT, HANGIN OUT WITH THE FAMILAAAY"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

"well I'm in the mood for something light and fun, let's watch the riff of Zindy the Swamp Boy"
*90 minutes later*
:stare:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

So long, Zindy.

:stare:

Fixed that up

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

String Beans posted:

It would be pretty neat to see the Phantom Creeps or Undersea Kingdom revisited.

Tweny two years on, the phrase "HURRY DIANA" still rings in my head.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Breadallelogram posted:

That's kind of why I asked, but I bought it anyway.

The Room rifftrax exists solely to convince people who would not otherwise watch The Room to watch it. That's how I've used it anyway.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

Okay, a technical question: Supposedly Tommy didn't know the difference between 35mm and HD video and shot the movie with both cameras, wouldn't there be issues with lighting and such?

Minimized by having both cameras on the same tripod or rig or what have you built at exorbitant cost

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

MITCHELL.

Seriously, then we can finally see what happened to John Saxon ...he died in a dune buggy accident

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Oil! posted:

None have you have seen a Scott Shaw movie before?

No I haven't. Let's punch up Wikipedia and see what he d-

Wikipedia posted:

- Max Hell Frog Warrior (1996)

:dogbutton:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~ it only takes a minute to lose all my will to live using Roller Gator / Roller Gatoooor / slicing down the road instead of across the street ta ta ta....~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

looking over Trace, Frank, and Weinstein's twitter feeds and wow, people really have to be desperate to imagine this as a feud.

• Locked thread