Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Candy Dawn posted:

Oh god Netflix FINALLY sent me The Happening and oh my God it was one of their best. Also, how could anyone watch that piece of poo poo without Rifftrax??

Goons will watch anything after a night of drinking

we sobered up pretty fast :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm curious, did you guys who buy it get to keep the video?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Pooned posted:

Just watched Wicker man with riffing, it was a decent enough commentary, but holy gently caress that movie sucked. And it sucked in the way that NOTHING HAPPENS.

It's almost as good as that time a guy almost looked in a bag

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

fenix down posted:

WE CAN'T JUST SIP LEMON DRINK AS UNINVOLVED OBSERVERS!!!!!

Dude, there is nothing between us. All we did was have tiramisu

I'ma talk to a plant. You're a plant, what's up with that? Say hello to your mother for me

also: I can also attest to the so bad it's goodness of The Room. I'm not too familiar with the cult following it received in LA since I saw it in Northern California on bootleg. But if I were to describe it, it would be like a Skinemax movie with the good parts taken out, the lovely parts prolonged and it's all directed by a film school dropout. The love interest is played by a chubby Britney Spears from Crossroad, and the "child" in the movie is played by a guy who looks like he's 30. And the main character played by Tommy Wiseau, is like Speak the Hungarian rapper with longer hair

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 15, 2009

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

are any of the iriffs worthwhile?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Granted I haven't watched the Room rifftrax in its entirety but from the sample I saw on the website, I think the problem is something Mike Nelson himself brought up in an interview which was that it's easier to riff a bad Hollywood movie because at least it has a sense of pacing and measured dialogue, whereas bad movies tend to pad it with more bad dialogue so it's harder to get a word in edgewise. From what I saw in the sample it seemed they would sometimes have to cut off some of the dialogue as it trailed or vise versa. To really appreciate the badness of The Room I think the awkward silent pauses have to be taken in

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Leovinus posted:

When the public found out that he had shot the film on two cameras on the same trolley because he didn't know the difference between film and HD video, he began to write a book about how he had done it on purpose to compare and contrast them critically.

"With the film camera it will have the strip of film inside of it. But HD no such thing, is like magic."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I know these days it's a glorified entertainment magazine but Time has Rifftrax in its shortlist of stuff to watch for, thought that was kinda neat

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Just finished the last of the original Star Wars trilogy. Unfortunately it's been a while since my last viewing, and had to agree with the crew: a lot of it didn't hold up too well. ESPECIALLY the digital additions, good gently caress what was Lucas thinking? Also, I remember thinking "what was so bad about the Ewoks?" and then remembered that I liked them...as a child

I was surprised they snuck in the Avatar reference during RotJ, there's no way they are letting that one off the hook

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Has anyone figured out how those codes work or is Lowtax pulling our leg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I haven't followed Rifftrax for a while, everytime I go back to the site it seems like it's the offbrand stuff on the front, which to me is kinda bad for branding, regardless of how good the 3rd party stuff is. Is this mostly unfounded or....

it doesn't help that it seems they don't do as much of their own stuff as much

• Locked thread