Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Film Crew is actually a pre-Rifftrax venture and considering how much Rifftrax has taken off there won't be any more. It just took forever and a day to come out.

They are available for free on Hulu.com. Although you have to have an account for Hollywood After Dark because it involves strippers and Rue McClanahan from Golden Girls as a stripper and she strips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I actually own more of the shorts than anything else. I like that they come pre-synced and since they're shorter the jokes are usually tighter as well.

I own all the shorts and while all of them are good here are my recommendations for best:

"The Trouble with Women" kind of short at 6 minutes but utterly hilarious workplace short telling supervisors not to be so goddamn sexist.

"Skipper Learns a Lesson" mainly for the subject matter of the short which is RACIST DOG.

"Patriotism" Bob Crane talks to little kids about patriotism. Oh and just about everything is patriotic according to him.

"Drugs Are Like That" two inane kids blathering on and on about what drugs are like.

"One Got Fat" this is that classic short film about monkey bicycle safety.

"The Terrible Truth" the harrowing tale of drug use that shows how a woman can go from kind of plain to smoking hot through a handy heroin addiction.

"Act Your Age" Jim vandalizes a desk and gets a lesson from the world's creepiest principal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

liquorhead posted:

The Film Crew's 1st DVD was released after Rifftrax were already available.

Right, but they were all filmed well before Rifftrax even started. There were just some issues that kept them from coming out for a while. There was a message from one of the guys when the DVDs were first made available saying how you shouldn't get excited because they were all like 2 years old at the time and Mike and the gang had moved on.

If I had to guess I'd say the whole Film Crew experience was what caused Mike to come up with Rifftrax. Its pretty much the same idea except without the live action story bits. Also Rifftrax neatly sidesteps any rights issues which have plagued every other riffing project.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

we bleed red posted:

Question: Can anyone tell me why I've never seen a collaboration between the original cast and the later one, in any respect? It's like they're separate spheres...

Eh not really Mary Jo has done stuff for both Rifftrax AND is currently on Cinematic Titanic. Anyway the only real difference between the "original cast" is Bill Corbett who only worked on the show from Sci-Fi onwards while everyone else worked on the show from the beginning or near enough (for example while Kevin didn't originally do the voice of Servo he was working on behind the scenes stuff for the first season.)

I'd say the reason we haven't seen a Joel+Mike riffing on either CT or RT is just because neither has the time with their OWN projects.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Subotai posted:

No, but you know what shirt I want? The Castleton shirt the guy wore in Time Chasers. Anyone know where I can get one?

From Castleton. Its a real college and they were kind of confused for a while after that episode aired because they got an influx of people wanting CASTLETON shirts.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is kind of weird to be doing a sequel to a movie he did without him though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

Actually, Joel, Frank, and Josh are in L.A. but Mary Jo is in Texas and Trace is back in Minnesota. And as for Rifftrax, Mike is in San Diego and I believe Kevin is in Minnesota. I'm not sure where Bill is, but the point is all these guys are spread out over the country. Too bad none of them made there way over here to the east coast though.

I'm surprised any of them are out west to begin with since they're all Minnesota/Wisconsin natives.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jingleheimer posted:

I haven't watched any of the riffs but I am going to get into them tonight. I only have enough money for one movie though and I might do Top Gun, but I don't really feel like watching it again. I've been in an X-Men mood lately, is that riff any good?

Firewall is pretty good mainly because of how absurd the movie is to begin with and then gets later on.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You mean when he does stuff like hook up part of a fax machine to an iPod and tapes the whole thing to a computer screen in an effort to steal bank information?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

There's a new short - Aqua Frolics - available.

http://www.rifftrax.com/ondemand/aqua-frolics

We call it "Drownsgiving!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The latest CT is out now. Legacy of Blood and its another weird 70s horror movie.

I think they're realizing that not a lot of people like the whole movie stoppage parts so its limited to just two and they're not really that long.

There are some really great riffs in this one despite the movie itself being a real stinker.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wiseblood posted:

If you were hoping they would do more lovely movies, you're getting your wish:

Releasing 10/21.

See this is actually a good use of their time because its a BAD movie. Sometimes it just seems like they're doing movies just because they can. Like with Iron Man I don't really see a point in doing a Rifftrack for it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New short available,

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

New short available,

Got done watching this one and its just a plain bizarre short. Its another one of those "training manuals for aliens" shorts where they explain some really really basic information. Like, you need to eat food to have energy to do things. Also after eating you will eventually have to take a poo poo. You should try going to the bathroom at the same time every day but if you feel the need to at other times you should go then, too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They don't need anyone's permission to do riffs. That was the whole point of Rifftrax. So nothing's really stopping them from doing episodes of other shows they just wouldn't be presynced like the Hulk one was.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FronzelNeekburm posted:

This one had me laughing the entire time. What causes stomachaches? Obviously not skipping lunch and buying soda and cookies and candy, but eating too quickly!

What the hell was up with his breakfast anyway? Some kind of cereal, eggs, bacon, toast, orange juice and milk. And they expect the kid to eat ALL of it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seems they're selling the shorts as a DVD collection now. There's even a new short on it which is annoying because I've already bought all of the available shorts as they came out and don't want/need a DVD version of them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Actually reading some more its not all of the shorts, just the "Best" although they say Vol 1 so they'll probably release the rest on DVD. Here's the list of what's going to be coming out though:
Down and Out
Patriotism
Buying Food
Right or Wrong
Drugs are Like That
Skipper Learns a Lesson
The Trouble With Women
It Must be the Neighbors

with the extra short Shake Hands with Danger.

Also there's some weird 3-D animated avatars for Mike, Kevin and Bill.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its also definitely cheaper to buy them on their own than the DVD which is just 9 shorts for $14.95. While each short is just $.99 each.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have a feeling they'll EVENTUALLY put out the new short on its own because that's bullshit for people who have been supporting them all this time.

Maybe they could do some thing where if you've already bought the rest of the shorts they'll let you purchase the new one. Their system keeps track of what you've bought so it shouldn't be that hard to do.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

A new short is out - Know For Sure.

Looks like a VD short.

I really liked this short. I thought it was hilarious especially the broad ethnic stereotype of Tony Madrone and the patronizing way of the white doctor.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think my favorite moment was:

Tony, your baby was born dead.

*HONK*

Then when he was cleaning the paint off the window,

"I'm sorry, I'm not sure what emotion is being portrayed here because no one's dropping a squeeze box."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I will never watch an iRiff because I really, really don't care what anyone else has to say.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New short up, Christmas Toy Shop. Its very strange but doesn't hold a candle to the bizarreness of A Visit to Santa.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Whelp it seems that boring adult talk has made my 11 year old niece a fan of Rifftrax. Christmas dinner was wrapping up and she was bored so I loaned her my Zune which has all the Riffshorts on it and she thought they were great. So I downloaded a couple for her and put them on her brand new iPod. Its funny but I was just like a year younger than she is now when I first started watching MST3K.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Even though this isn't specifically a CT thread just wanted to point out that the next release is Jan 8th and is Frankenstein's Castle of Freaks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The new short is really, really great.

I couldn't stop laughing at "Oh no, Dad drugged me!" and the callback later on "Bob drugged my malt!"

Although the funniest part came from the short itself. The main character and his father had moved to a new town and the teenager can't make any friends because he's an outsider.

Father: I had quite the time making friends in a new office where everyone knew each other.

Son: What'd you do Dad?

Father: Well, that's beside the point, son.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GreenNight posted:

25 other shorts? Jesus.

I think they mean the shorts they've already done, not 25 new ones.

Although it would be pretty awesome if it WAS 25 new shorts.

(just counted and they've released 28 shorts so far)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New Riff up, Reefer Madness (three riffer edition) basically a new riff of the film with Mike, Bill and Kevin.

Also next Rifftrax live is another short "Overcoming Fear" which will air next Wednesday at 9pm Eastern.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reminder that there's another live event Riffshort going on in an hour.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New Riffshort:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Behonkiss posted:

While we're on the topic of shorts, someone tell me up front if any of the others even come close to topping One Got Fat. I've bought a few others and they've mostly been middle-of-the-road.

I think my favorite shorts are Act Your Age, Overcoming Fear (mainly for the dog bits) and The Terrible Truth.

I also agree that this new one is really good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

$20 is a lot of stuff from them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Do the feature length VOD stuff have DRM or not? I know the shorts don't but used to.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The three riffer version of Reefer Madness is pretty good. My favorite joke in it was Bill's line of "That's right stoned guy watching this at home, everyone can hear the music but you."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Has some good parts but the short just kind of peters out at the end.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its really weird but they did two Riffshorts this week.

"Your Chance to Live" and "Understanding Ideals"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alexandr posted:

What the gently caress is with the lack of new Rifftrax lately? Is it so much to ask for a movie every once in a while?

They've been churning out new Riffshorts. Seriously, they've done like 5 in the last two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I haven't watched any of the other Legend film riffs but the Reefer Madness one is great.

• Locked thread