Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

They've got to do Matrix: Revolutions.

Please, please, please!
Seriously, this and LOTR: Return of the King are ones I'm looking forward to the most, especially Revolutions.

Hands down, Star Wars Holiday Special is the best riff. You get the best of both worlds, because they riff on commercials as well as the lovely special itself- it felt the most like MST3K to me, aside from the shorts (which are also great, I'd recommend picking all of them up, they're too cheap not to).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How much better is it than the one for Fellowship?

That one was almost painful to sit through because the movie's so loving long and I didn't find the commentary particularly funny, so it made a long movie even longer.
It's a lot funnier than Fellowship, and there's more jokes because it's Bill, Kevin, and Mike.
The length of the film is still pretty noticeable, though.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

fenix down posted:

I'm glad the guys had a great time doing the show, and I can only hope that means more in the future.

also saw this on the Rifftrax blog:

Whoa, you guys weren't kidding- Mike is nearly ageless.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

They just announced that Paul F Tompkins will be a special guest at the next Live event.
Well goddamn, as if I didn't already have an incentive to go- I was just re-listening to his podcast today where he goes through the "Gathering of the Juggalos" ad line by line and riffs on it.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

ClydeUmney posted:

Which podcast is that? It's not on the Pod F Tompkast, right?
Actually, apparently it was on a radio show with Tom Scharpling. Anyway, link: http://www.wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=32311&archive=54334

Starts about an hour and 27 minutes in.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

IUG posted:

This could be interesting.
He'd probably say "crack whore." Then after that, hopefully "yes." He'd be pretty perfect for a riff.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Slasherfan posted:

At the end of The Devils Hand wouldn't the lead characters burn to death since they left their dolls in the fire? Do I need to spoil rifftrax movies?
My friends and I assumed that after the evil doll seller died, the spell he had over the dolls was broken. Either way, I'm gonna try not to lose any sleep wondering things about that lousy movie.

I agree about the VOD movies, they're super convenient and I really enjoyed Voodoo Man and Planet of the Dinosaurs, and Crater Lake Monster was pretty good, too, in addition to Devil's Hand. The riffs tend to seem inherently funnier when it's a movie basically no one has seen and it's just a pack of nobodies on the screen- feels a lot more like MST3K.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

CrumFUNist! posted:

There will never be anything funnier than their Star Wars Holiday Special riff.
Agreed- the second they started riffing on the commercials, it shot up to top 5 status for me. The Special was already great enough on its own, but to have that in there as well put it above and beyond. The sheer variety of crap in that show is staggering, there's just so much to work with.

Plenty of good ones have been said thus far, but I gotta give it up for Battlefield Earth as one of my personal favorites. Everything in that movie is just so astronomically misguided, but somehow watchable enough so as to be entertaining, and the riff only adds to the hilarity.
The Day After Tomorrow is also surprisingly good, given it's just Bill and Kevin, and I think The Matrix Reloaded is the best Matrix riff that they did, let alone one of the best riffs in general.

And maybe it's just me, but gosh-all fish hooks, I'm a big fan of the Voodoo Man VOD.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Is the holiday special going to be funny to someone who doesn't give a gently caress about Star Wars in general? All the recent riffs didn't seem too attractive to me. Otherwise, I'm waiting for 2012 or some other ridiculous piece of poo poo movie to get ripped apart.
It's great, because the Holiday Special has almost nothing to do with Star Wars! But everything to do with unpleasantness.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

John Carradine's in it, too.
Does he warble out a theme song about taking the night train to Frankenstein Island?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Just to check, it's perfectly acceptable to have no loving clue about what the hell Frankenstein Island was about? I've watched it twice so far...and..yeah. Not a goddamn clue in the world.
Yeah, you must have missed the part about the power... the power... THE POWER... THE POWER!!!

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

SnipeBob posted:

Just watched Curse of Bigfoot last night, and I'll echo what's already been said. It's easily the worst movie they've ever done, including Santa and Ice Cream Bunny.
Yeah, the riffing is actually spot on most of the time, but boy is that movie ever dire- sadly, Birdemic has more excitement, passion, and artistic value in it than Bigfoot.

The ending is so hilariously abrupt and is probably the only real payoff in the entire movie- literally an hour and a half of glacially paced schlock leading up to maybe 15 seconds of SOMETHING happening, and then it's immediately over. Why would anyone ever make this?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Behonkiss posted:

What happens at the end? I'll probably watch the riffed version at some point, but I'm just curious.
The monster gets doused in gasoline and set on fire, then proceeds to violently burn to death.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Great show- unfortunately got in late and didn't get a chance to see the Norman short, but Cylinders and Manos were both great, and I even got a free poster for the event afterwards when one of the theater staff was changing it out.

I think my favorite riffs were the incredulous "IS IT?" from Mike when the kid made a "planetarium" out of a toilet paper roll, and "Better get back to directing" as the husband character in Manos clumsily walks out of the shot. There were some great riffs in Manos, though, a lot I'm forgetting.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Laser Mission, Future Force, and Guy From Harlem are excellent, however, I never see Abraxas getting enough love. It's at home with a lot of the late 80's/early 90's schlock they showed on MST3K, and it stars Jesse Ventura as a futuristic cyborg who inexplicably finds love despite being repugnant in all aspects, and his mission to protect a mute child who is in danger of having his head blown up or becoming the anti-Christ or somesuch thing.

It's a beautiful, horrible film.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Deadpool posted:

They definitely will let 'poo poo' go in anything that's R. But I don't think they ever drop any uncensored f-bombs.
I also recall a bunch of riffs where characters in the movie will swear, not exclusively pertaining to f-bombs, and then the riff involved repeating the word will get bleeped. They're a bit weird about how they censor swear words.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Everything Counts posted:

I'm also curious if anyone knows the story to this.
Lowtax interviewed Mike for the site a long time ago, I think back when Rifftrax was just starting up, actually. Presumably they hit it off, Lowtax ended up doing a riff with Mike for "Troll 2," and since then Lowtax has frequently promoted the live shows on the site and been an active participant in them with the Shmorky animated shorts, the Flour and Grain Expo video, etc. And of course Mike and Kevin do the occasional QA threads here.

Not sure if there's really much to it outside of that.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

IUG posted:

And I just watched the Star Wars Holiday Special. It wasn't as great of a Riff as The Ice Cream Bunny Riff. Probably because the movie was much much worse. My friend who knows nothing about Star Wars also got less out of it.
Star Wars Holiday Special is pretty far and away my favorite riff, and the nice thing is that going into it you don't really have to know anything about Star Wars, because none of the stuff from the movies is ever really relevant! In fact, it might even be better to not know anything about Star Wars, and just let the nightmare wash over you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Guy From Harlem is just an endearingly misguided and low-budget blacksploitation film, it's not nearly as insane or ethically questionable as Buffalo Rider. The magic to the movie is how it wants so badly to be cool and titillating, but just winds up breaking down at every turn.

• Locked thread