Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Sadly that X-Men 2 riff was pretty weak as was the Indiana Jones one in my opinion. They can coast along on the good-will from The Happening for all eternity though, so I'm not worried they are slipping or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Behonkiss posted:

Gonna chime in and say that my iRiff for Labyrinth is out:

http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/labyrinth

Any other goons working on iRiffs?
I was working on an X-Men 3 riff for a while but rewatching that appalling tumor of a film broke me in the end. I am now doing an AvP riff in my spare time which I find far more enjoyable. The movie is another cancerous growth on the film industry, but there's so much material to work with (the tired old X-men jokes wore thin) that it's alot of fun mercilessly taking the piss out of it.

I know the lads used to timecode their riffs when working on MST3k - and I assume Rifftrax - but personally, I write in a format like this:

"line of lovely pretentious dialog"
my super funny and oh so cutting witticism here

"another line of atrocious mind-numbing shittitude"
more bitingly funny and hemorrhage inducing snipes here

ALIEN FARTS IN MY GENERAL DIRECTION
oh ho ho, paul ws anderson, you've done it again!

How do you guys do yours?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Lobsterboy posted:

We cant go that way! WE DONT HAVE ANY HOT DOGS.
Hhhhhhhhoooooooootttt dog.

The Happening is a very solid riff as the movie itself is such a perfect candidate for mockery. The thing is so overblown and hammy, with some of the worst dialogue and acting yet seen in a big budget motion picture. The Riff takes full advantage of these and actually has become one of my favourite riffs.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah I love it for the same reason. I just can't get into it when they riff a good movie. It's just not the same as tearing into a real shitheap like The Happening.
Yeah, that's the reason I still haven't got over half way through the Memento rifftrax. Cos goddamnit, the film is good!

It's also why the Alien riff is pretty weak, a decent movie does not a good riff make.

There are obviously exceptions, like the Lord of the Rings, as the Fellowship was a good movie and a good riff. Two Towers though was a good movie but a loving terrible riff.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

peer posted:

Whaaaaaat? I didn't even make it halfway through the Fellowship riff, while the Two Towers one was excellent, one of my favourites (and I love the movie).
The Two Towers was nothing but a string of obscure references to people. Just endless barrages of jokes that miss the mark and a ridiculous degree of people jokes. Every second joke was just saying an obscure name and it was quite, quite boring. You could tell they were really struggling for jokes and their energy was rock bottom. It seems like they just wanted to get this out of the way and the forced nature of the riff is probably the reason they still haven't done a Return of the King riff yet.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Candy Dawn posted:

So the Indiana Jones Riff was lame? I just got the DVD from a friend and wanted to Riff this sucker but not if it's not worth it.
I thought it was weak which was pretty disappointing, as the movie is eminently riffable. Pity as I was looking forward to it after the merciless ripping myself and my housemate gave it on first watch.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

I did, and it's loving disappointing as hell that they did it. The Dark Knight was one of the best movies of 2008, any riffing they'll get out of it is going to be really half-assed and not nearly as biting as doing Babylon AD or some other recent movie that was actually BAD.
Sadly that's really true. They are just riffing comic book movies and what-in-the-name-of-christ-are-you-doing movies like Memento. I want more lovely movies in the vein of Battlefield Earth, Cloverfield, Jurrassic Park, Over the Top and The Happening.* These days they seem to be going for the predictable commerical ways out like Iron Man and now the Dark Knight. There are an ocean of awful movies out there, I wish they didn't feel they have to keep up with modern DVD releases, comic fads or riffing on actually highly regarded and decent movies.

For example, I couldn't get into the Raiders of the Lost Ark riff, because god damnit, the movie is too much fun. It has a real sense of humour about itself and doesn't take itself seriously at all. Hence it's a loving awful target for riffing. Battlefield Earth on the other hand takes itself deathly seriously and is totally farcical on so many levels. The same rule applies to any M Night Shamalamadingdong movie.

I can't help the sad nagging feeling that Rifftrax are really dipping into a bad area of movie choices. Rifftrax itself has to fight a bit harder than MST3k because unlike that show, Rifftrax doesn't have the natural charm of the robots and the situation. Rather than the conceit of being a guy and his robots trapped in space preserving their sanity, they are just three crotchety old guys shouting abuse like Statler & Waldorf. This can wear thin without good source material to work on I find.

Granted, The Dark Knight might well be the greatest riff of all time and might completely blow my super-thick winter socks into a geostationary orbit, we just don't know yet. I think however, that my feet shall remain toasty for the time being.

* Five of my very top rifftrax's btw guys.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

GreenNight posted:

They do practically every big movie that comes out. I don't see how anyone is surprised. Don't loving buy it if it bothers you.
Who shat in your cereal? People aren't allowed opinions now and can't actually discuss rifftrax in any light they choose?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

fenix down posted:

You are taking this a little too seriously.
I think you'll find when I posted that I had a novelty jesters hat on and rainbow suspenders, so don't pretend to know how I'm taking things.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Savantegarde posted:

Some of those people are loving insane.
I thought doing Oceans Eleven the day after Bernie Mac died was bad timing. They were pretty harsh on him in the Riff too but it's not like they could help it and it not an issue for me, just something I noticed.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

I can only speak for myself, and I can honestly say I didn't think the riffs based on good movies (Memento, Iron Man etc) are as enjoyable as the ones based on turkeys (Star Trek V, Roadhouse, I am Legend, The Matrix Reloaded).

I'm not saying it's impossible to make a good riff about a good movie, but I will say that choosing a movie that actually has something worth mocking will improve the odds.
My sentiments exactly. :glomp:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Including The Wankshank Redemption alongside the Godfather and Citizen Kain is screwed up. I'm really loving glad The Dark Knight spat in the face of that particular creme du crap.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Western Backstroke posted:

Oh god, I nearly forgot. The Day After Tomorrow featured a female version of Disembaudio, whose voice was shrill and grating. Adding to that her volume was nearly double the Riffers' so every time she came on all of us viewing would jump in surprise and then cringe as she chose the longest lines of dialogue to mimic :gonk:

I hope she's not waiting for me in any other riff.
She seems to be in all the Rifftrax Presents riffs.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

JimBobDole posted:

I love the Shorts. Good Eating Habits and Know For Sure are hilarious. However, no one here has mentioned yet how weird and disturbing Kitty Cleans Up is. Why they chose to riff that one is beyond me.
Probably because it's so weird and disturbing. It's one of my favourite shorts actually.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

So A New Hope is out. I have fingers toes and eyebrows crossed that this will be a good one. Of the recent riffs, I liked the Azkaban riff but hated the Dark Knight one. I personally found it the least funny riff they've done to date.

I hope that was just an aberration though and ANH continues with the great history of Star Wars riffs.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Just watched ANH. It's easily my favourite rifftrax so far. Not a bum joke in the movie and most are genuinely laugh-your-rear end off type affairs. It really is hilarious and on the button. If you buy only one Rifftrax this year, buy this one.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

LEIA: "Into the garbage chute, flyboy."

MIKE: "She's said that more than once."

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

"Porkin?! The fat guys name is Porkin?!" :neckbeard:

Very well done in my view.
Porkins!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The video is oddly jerky. Kinda annoying they don't have the bandwidth to support it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

Apparently they're hosting from Mike's fuckin' HP laptop
I have a feeling that because people are getting shut out of the main site and the video is so poor, we'll be getting another live movie in recompense.

Having said that, my fears over these kinds of connection problems lead me not to buy this special. It's drat annoying to see it not working right as I'd've jumped at it if the connection was playing fine.

Ah well.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Current thinking in the irc channel is that it'll be better once the free users jump off.

This doesn't really make sense though as ustream is p2p so the more users the better, surely?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

And now the sound has cut out.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Heh, 200 more people are in for the movie than for the short. I wonder if that'll slow things up even more.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

jmaze posted:

So... does the paid movie start in this room? How do we get validated?
http://www.rifftrax.com/live

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

This is a giant cock-up and no mistake.

Hilarious how I didn't pay, but can hear it along with everyone else on the aforementioned site.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

AlmightyBob posted:

Off Air again
Someone tried to kill it with a forklift.

:master:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

AlmightyBob posted:

I have to work tomorrow :(
It's quarter to three in the morning for us GMTers, so imagine how we feel!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Memories...

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Foiled by their own success.
I dunno about that. It's ustream so the more people watching the better. They were foiled by their own incompetence methinks.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Some dude is trying to explain stuff on the video, but there's no sound.

The stream was great though, smooth as hell.

Bill just twittered:

"So sorry re: Rifftrax Live. Yikes. Can't answer tech Qs, but @rifftrax can (eventually). Busy with ritual seppuku for remainder of night."

Kevins:

"Well hell. We had ourselves a Google-scale lockup - sorry to say no show tonight. Damned disappointed on this end. All apologies."

Plavski fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 16, 2009

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

http://www.rifftrax.com/live

WATCH NOW

HAHAHA

They just had the big fat tech guy come on, say he couldn't tell whether they were on air or not and blame ustream, then storm off for burgers.

Hilarious.

Update:

Back up and working.

In essence, they had problems with their server, ustream sucked for them and everyone is disappointed. They said they weren't gonna bother continuing with the broadcast if there were problems as it'd be a waste of time and upset some people. Everything is being refunded and they are gonna find another way to make it up to everyone.

They say they'll do this again some time, but his tone made it sound like it wouldn't be for a good while.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 16, 2009

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Has anyone heard what they're supposed to be doing for the people who paid yet? (other than the refund)

Also the movie they were supposed to be riffing is up for sale now.
They said they would find a way to make it up to the suckersfans but didn't give any specifics.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

drat, that extra $10 worth of Rifftrax stuff makes me wish I'd bought the tickets in the first place. Though I suppose I didn't have the disappointment everyone else did, so maybe that's better than money.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Whelp I just received confirmation on my reimbursement package so if you bought the ticket to the show check your FILES area in your profile and the movie should be there.

Now I just have to figure out what I want to do with $10 in Rifftrax bucks. Maybe I'll pick up the Star Wars Holiday special since I've never seen that.
That's probably my favourite Riff ever, I'm amazed you haven't seen it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Rifftrax Presents is doing Tron this week.

What's next for Mike & company?

Casablanca.

Yes, THAT Casablanca.
I was seconds away from posting when I thought to refresh the page before hitting submit. drat you!

I'm really not sure about this one... I tried watching the MST3k Hamlet again the other day and no matter how many times I watch it, it still doesn't work. Working on good subject material does not often make for a good riff. I still haven't managed to get through the Memento riff yet, I have to turn it off after 20 minutes. The film is too good to mock :(

I will be getting this one, for sure, but I really don't know about it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

What I'm probably most exited about with this is that you just know there's going to be at least one Overdrawn at the Memory Bank reference.
Hey Mike, could you dopple me into this?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Emmitt Nervend posted:

I've only dabbled in doppling
There better be a line about anteaters.

Also, the Tron iRiff is actually quite funny. Also the Superman IV iRiff is genius, really fantastic. Speed, Die Hard (the RiffRaff version) and Minority Report are pretty good too. RiffRaff Theatre and the Disciples of Golan are about the only decent iRiffers I've found.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Emmitt Nervend posted:

It's insane that there was a riff of Superman IV before III. iRiff or otherwise. Superman III is the most absurd movie I have ever seen.
IV is more awful really. Seriously, IV is just a giant turd burger wrapped in a crap bun served on a plate of poo poo. It's loving woeful, and the Riff is made so much better because of it. They hate the movie, they really really do and it's great!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The Casablanca riff is hilarious. Recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Really? I wouldn't have expected it to be, Casablanca just seems like such a genuinely good movie, I wouldn't think there would be much room to make fun of it.
It surprised me too. But Casablanca is good for reasons other than the movie itself really. I mean, the plot makes no sense at all, the characters are flat and pretty drat boring except for the two leads and the frenchie and it's got midgets standing next to cardboard planes!

Casablanca is a great movie, yes, but it's also enraptured by its own wonderfulness. Seeing the excellent job they did on this means that potentially one of my favourite movies of all time, Citizen Kane might get a good going over. It too is overblown, long winded and highly mockable - Orson trashing the room is hilarious out of context.

Though if they touch The Third Man there'll be hell to pay.

• Locked thread