Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think the bosses wouldn't be as annoying if they could be staggered, ya know one of the big deals they point out for the combat system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i feel like they wanted to make the bosses memorable souls like roadblocks but theyre mostly just pains in the rear end. the thing about souls bosses is they can insta gib you but if you get into a good pattern they die pretty fast themselves. instead the arise bosses can instagib you but are giant sacks of HP.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Arist posted:

You've probably already figured out that spamming Alphen's Reigning Slash does more damage than literally anything else, but uh

no, that's really it

Yeah Reigning Slash is really good.

Endorph posted:

i feel like they wanted to make the bosses memorable souls like roadblocks but theyre mostly just pains in the rear end. the thing about souls bosses is they can insta gib you but if you get into a good pattern they die pretty fast themselves. instead the arise bosses can instagib you but are giant sacks of HP.

I tried to do the intermediate solo trial as Alphen and got all the way to the big zeugles at the end before I realized I couldn’t heal and they murdered me immediately lol

It’d be really helpful if perfect dodge/counterattack stunned bosses but might be too easy. The best you can do it get a combo then use a boost move to down them followed by more combo. I also find that your AI teammates aren’t very smart about hitting the boss’s elemental weakness unless you literally turn off every other arte. In previous games, using a lens to get the enemy’s info would trigger your allies to use their weaknesses but there’s nothing like that in this game.

If you could build up the finisher meter to be able to execute big moves against bosses it would be cool, maybe you can but it’s rarely happened for me and when it has, it either was scripted or felt that way.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Ive been playing Granblue which reminds me of Tales of Arise but with better bosses. They have pretty reasonable HP, recognizable attack patterns and you can break / stagger them for extra damage and loot.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pretty much everything about Arise is great except most of the bosses so I will take it. The fishing minigame is great.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
When I played through the game I used CheatEngine to multiply my damage by 2x to keep my sanity, and even then by the end of the game I had bumped that up to 4x.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Even if you don't do that, still a good idea to get the double damage artifact and turn it on immediately. The bosses still suck but I didn't have near the problems other people did with the endgame doing that.

Also while we're talking mods, get the one that lets you cancel artes. Makes Alphen's burning moves a little more awkward but makes everything else feel better.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
In Vesperia I would turn it on hard for normal battles and down to easy for bosses because the jobbers would all die in 2 seconds and the bosses were waaaaay overtuned.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I finished Lenegis and there were big revelations but also they won’t shut up. They’ve just been talking for like two hours straight. I’ve watched ten cutscenes and seventeen skits. Just shut up and let me stab somebody I am so bored lol

Edit: this is worse than that massive cutscene movie in Xenoblade Chronicles 3, at least that was entertaining and included multiple boss fights.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 19, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I finished Lenegis and there were big revelations but also they won’t shut up. They’ve just been talking for like two hours straight. I’ve watched ten cutscenes and seventeen skits. Just shut up and let me stab somebody I am so bored lol

The final dungeon is pretty much all gameplay, is the good news

The bad news is that it's arguably even more boring

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

emSparkly posted:

In Vesperia I would turn it on hard for normal battles and down to easy for bosses because the jobbers would all die in 2 seconds and the bosses were waaaaay overtuned.

I remember fighting that loving giant wolf on hard on my first time and he destroyed me and I barely did any damage

I turned it down to normal, and he still destroyed me. No boss on either difficulty was as overtuned as that wolf and I do not understand why

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
IIRC he was stupidly overtuned because he was the boss of the demo where the party was both higher level than they probably will be when you fight him in the actual game, and he was meant to be very hard to add replayability to the demo. Then they just never went back and toned him down for the actual game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah you had fatal strikes and a bunch of other later stuff in that demo.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tales of Arise and Tales of Zestiria are now part of the PS+ catalogue. I guess they also added Symphonia and Vesperia to the Premium games.

Symphonia is goofy as hell but the combat is good. Never play Dawn of the New World, though.

I haven’t played Zestiria, is it good?

Edit: I’ve only played Phantasia, Symphonia, Symphonia 2, Abyss (both versions), Vesperia (both versions) and now Arise. I feel like I’ve missed out on like half the series.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 20, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

No

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it is in contention for worst game in the series

even as someone who likes aspects of it more than most people i would not recommend it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tales of Zestiria is funny because it didn’t hit the mainstream that it was awful so every now and then you get an innocent question the equivalent of "Haven't heard much about this Metroid Other M game, is it any good?"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

other m is probably a better game than zestiria tbh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's shorter at least

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That tracks, since I actually finished Other M unlike Zestiria

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

it took me a minute to come up with an example but my brain defaulted to third birthday and it's not that bad.

let's put it this way, it's no dynowarz - destruction of spondylous

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If it’s worse than Symphonia 2 then I can safely say I won’t play it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gameplay-wise zestiria has okay combat that it hamstrings with a bunch of gimmicks, the world's worst equipment/skill system, and mid-late game enemies that just instantly wipe your party in literally 3 seconds. it also has some really annoying puzzle dungeons

writing-wise it has some okay ideas and party members that it handles in the most frustrating and annoying ways possible, and often seems outright hostile to resolving parts of its cast (mostly the women, weird that). not to mention insane things like 'we need to kill these war orphans because them being sad will make everyone else around them sad' 'oh okay' *they kill the war orphans*. berseria's writing is basically a direct response to how much zestiria's writing sucked rear end.

there are segments where zestiria sort of works but its an intensely frustrating game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Zestiria does a really funny thing in co-op where you can junction the seraph your partner is controlling to strip it off of them lmao

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like a decent amount of Zesteria's characters, shame about everything else

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

SettingSun posted:

That tracks, since I actually finished Other M unlike Zestiria

Other M’s story was really bad and frustrating, but Zestiria was bad, frustrating, and perplexing simultaneously

Like, wtf did Alisha do to the devs to get the writing she got in the game, it felt like there was an inside joke/story that I just wasn’t in on. And the way the entire concept of Malevolence is treated in the game is oddly enough one of the most senselessly cruel world building elements in any story I have seen in my lifetime and I am glad Berseria dunked on it too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my issue with malevolence as a concept is that it didnt really go dark enough tbh. like it felt like it was just taking as read 'oh yeah if someones sad or hosed up they deserve to die.' like if they milked it for tragedy and drama and this world is so Dark id get it but the tone around it is often so casual that it comes across sociopathic.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The best thing about Zestiria is that they let Go Shiina do a handful of songs on the OST and he went absolutely unnecessarily ham on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBOtlUEutu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UGC9BrQxEU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also the game cannot keep it's timeline straight, where the previous shepherd before Sorey has faded into legend and only the Seraphim can remember what he was like.

The last Shepherd before Sorey lived 20 years ago.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite zestiria thing is that they hype up this arte that is clearly meant to be a callback, is emblematic of the series, is so important and core to the series aesthetic and combat system that just mentioning it makes you think tales

thats right: beast

???

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like beast is cool and in most of the games but why the gently caress did they use it and not demon fang for that role

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Endorph posted:

my favorite zestiria thing is that they hype up this arte that is clearly meant to be a callback, is emblematic of the series, is so important and core to the series aesthetic and combat system that just mentioning it makes you think tales

thats right: beast

???

lmao

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I love how the game pulls a G Gundam-esque “he did his specialty technique with his non-dominant hand!” thing in a major fight, but it’s just Sorey doing Beast again with the same lion head effect

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm glad Berseria exists and is really good.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Endorph posted:

like beast is cool and in most of the games but why the gently caress did they use it and not demon fang for that role

I did like that if you tried to use Beast in the unwinnable boss fight against The Lord of Calamity he just says "cute trick watch this" and mystic arts you :allears:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The best thing about Zestiria is that they let Go Shiina do a handful of songs on the OST and he went absolutely unnecessarily ham on them.

When Go Shiina goes off he goes off. I'm surprised he doesn't get more work.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Rising Up and Journey's End are such good songs at the end of the game too. Both those scenes are great and almost make the rest of the game worth it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

courage is the magic that dreams of reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Meowywitch posted:

courage is the magic that dreams of reality

Courageous magic turns dreams into reality?