Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The magic that turns dreams into reality? Courage, of course :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Argas posted:

When Go Shiina goes off he goes off. I'm surprised he doesn't get more work.

He's done over 15 games and the Demon Slayer series since zesteria

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Nice to see that Tales of Arise came to GamePass! I've always been interested in it but never wanted to buy it because of the rough reception regarding spongy combat and a story that falls off. As long as I can just try it out for a bit, though, maybe it'll be nice (until it's not).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

FutureCop posted:

Nice to see that Tales of Arise came to GamePass! I've always been interested in it but never wanted to buy it because of the rough reception regarding spongy combat and a story that falls off. As long as I can just try it out for a bit, though, maybe it'll be nice (until it's not).

I’m right before the final dungeon and I wouldn’t say the story falls off, it just goes in kind of a weird direction in the third act. I really don’t think the third act comes out of nowhere like in Vesperia, either. But I kind of called the plot twist (don’t read this, massive endgame spoilers)

I assumed the big bad was going to be some kind of space entity that landed on Rena and was manipulating the Renans to suck the juice out of Dahna, I just didn’t guess the part about the Helganquil or Rena being a wasteland already or the truth behind the Renans. One out of four lol

Come to think of it, now the name of the Fruit of Helgan makes sense.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 21, 2024

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Phantasium posted:

let's put it this way, it's no dynowarz - destruction of spondylous

I understood this reference.

But really, it's just shocking how terrible Zestiria truly is. The only outright good thing about it is that it existing means that we eventually got Berseria

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Zesty has Lailah and Mikleo, theyre cool

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Zestiria has decent skits and character banter. The pun game is pretty strong.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I've never seen a game so rank they had to make another game in response to serve as a diss track

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Farg posted:

I've never seen a game so rank they had to make another game in response to serve as a diss track

its not that bad. it's bad, but not that bad.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Farg posted:

ffxiv

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Farg posted:

This is sort of what KOTOR 2 was trying to do to KOTOR 1 except in that case the first game kicks rear end actually and while the second game has a handful of interesting ideas it gets buried under the game being quite literally unfinished and one of the principle writers being a sexpest who put his author insert front and center to whine constantly about how much he thinks Star Wars is dumb (this is only remotely tolerable because Kestelman's VA work is stellar).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't think there's an argument that Berseria was intentionally made to dunk on or apologize for Zestiria. They're supposed to be two sides of the same coin, but Zestiria's messaging is so incoherent that every time Berseria tries to engage with it, it's either just Velvet yelling "this sucks!!" or an NPC weakly saying "Artorius is the problem, not the institution, someone else (Sorey) could totally fix it" despite Sorey demonstrably not doing so, trying, or even understanding it at any point.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Caphi posted:

I don't think there's an argument that Berseria was intentionally made to dunk on or apologize for Zestiria. They're supposed to be two sides of the same coin, but Zestiria's messaging is so incoherent that every time Berseria tries to engage with it, it's either just Velvet yelling "this sucks!!" or an NPC weakly saying "Artorius is the problem, not the institution, someone else (Sorey) could totally fix it" despite Sorey demonstrably not doing so, trying, or even understanding it at any point.

This. Exploring themes from a previous game from another point of view doesn't mean they're dunking on them. Only game off the top of my head that I'd call an attempt at a diss track is DmC, and that's more to blame with whatever the gently caress was going on with their marketing department and that one powerpoint presentation than the game itself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iunno. maybe on the surface thats the intent but when zestiria so pointedly and repeatedly has sorey lying to women 'for their own sake' and berseria's plot is entirely driven about how awful that kind of paternalistic behavior is, it comes across like someone on the writing team had issues with zestiria.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

they want shady posted:

This. Exploring themes from a previous game from another point of view doesn't mean they're dunking on them. Only game off the top of my head that I'd call an attempt at a diss track is DmC, and that's more to blame with whatever the gently caress was going on with their marketing department and that one powerpoint presentation than the game itself.

No it was a diss track

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Berseria also directly refutes Zesteria's position of "oh well malevolence will turn you into a helion if you have too many negative emotions so if somebody is too sad it's actually better to just 'mercy' kill them before they transform" by giving you a party of sickos who exhibit a lot of negative emotions and are fine.

Eleanor is probably the best example, once she starts getting deprogrammed from the Abbey's bullshit she agonizes a lot over things in a way that Zesteria would argue "can't do that actually or your heart will be consumed by darkness, no thoughts head empty!" but in Berseria it's the crux of her arc and ultimately what allows her to realize what Artorius is doing is wrong. Hell in the sidequest about her mom she almost does end up succumbing but gets walked back and is fine after.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
All true. Not defending Zesty, just might be me remembering Berseria being kinder to it than it actually was. Mostly on account of them hyping up a third game or something that would synthesize both games in the future (don't remember if that was in the actual ending or if that was just a tease in the extra dungeon or something), but looking back that might've just been a fig leaf so people would remember Zestiria more fondly since they sure haven't cashed-in that chip lol (unless that's what the Zesty anime did, heard some things but didn't watch it)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I haven’t played a significant amount of Zestria, but I find it kinda interesting how there’s an assassin who isn’t at risk of becoming a daemon because she just believes what she’s doing is right, and that same idea is brought back with Shigure, in a way that makes more sense even if the logic is implicit and shunted off to side quests. Yeah he wants the coolest fight ever with Artorias, but his whole family is built on the idea of succeeding the previous Shigure by fighting them to the death, so to him consenting death matches are okay, and he still juxtaposes against the other antagonists as the only one that really isn’t okay with treating his malak like a slave and lets her keep her autonomy as an individual.

Or at least, that’s how I interpreted it since the game never tries to beat you over the head to explain itself, but I think it’s valid.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tae posted:

He's done over 15 games and the Demon Slayer series since zesteria

I demand more and in games I want to play, alright

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m right before the final boss in Tales of Arise, just clearing out the arena and some side quests. Then I guess I’ll do the post-game stuff.

How is the DLC episode?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You know that feeling you get when you load up a half-forgotten save from some RPG you quit like 2/3 of the way through, so you're at some arbitrary level and with arbitrary things unlocked, and you realized why you quit because you're still just fighting the same 6 enemy types and retreading the same areas? They made a DLC that epitomizes that.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Phantasium posted:

You know that feeling you get when you load up a half-forgotten save from some RPG you quit like 2/3 of the way through, so you're at some arbitrary level and with arbitrary things unlocked, and you realized why you quit because you're still just fighting the same 6 enemy types and retreading the same areas? They made a DLC that epitomizes that.

Oh no, that sucks.

I’ll probably play it after FFVII Rebirth though so it’ll feel brand new lol

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

There's like 3 mediocre dungeons that are new in the DLC and the rest is just the existing maps but truncated so you get like 1 or 2 maps in the each area of the world

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I completely forgot that Arise was getting DLC.

Strange time for RPGs. Both Arise and FF16 review super well and I think both are mediocre at best. At least I didnt fall asleep multiple times playing Arise though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Should I assume the training grounds ultimate group match is meant for NG+? I’m lv 60 and I couldn’t beat the lv 60 one. There are a few post-game quests with reasonable level requirements but then there are the lv 99 ones.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I still play FF16 from time to time because the Arcade mode makes it really to replay any of the fun parts and it's actually challenging unlike the main game

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Should I assume the training grounds ultimate group match is meant for NG+? I’m lv 60 and I couldn’t beat the lv 60 one. There are a few post-game quests with reasonable level requirements but then there are the lv 99 ones.

nah, it's totally doable in regular NG (I platted the game and didn't touch +). Arise's post game is generally pretty good in that you don't have to grind, there's content in it that fills out the curve from whatever level you're around when you finish the game all the way to the 90s if not max level so if there's a gap there's probably something you're missing.

Off the top of my head this is all of it but I don't remember the exact order since I haven't played it since it released:

post game cameo dungeon, Gnome, Sylph, Undine, think there was also another Ifrit in there somewhere but I don't remember. The last challenge is whatever the boss gauntlet in the spaceship was called.

Might be forgetting something but I think that's most of it.

e; if by the training grounds you mean the collosseum you can come back and do those once you're a bit stronger than the recommended level. I did that for most of the cast, since I recall that they started slotting in the pain-in-the-rear end fatties that they love throwing around the latter part of the game for some reason and I only ever really used Alphen and Rinwell while playing normally.

they want shady fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 1, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Paul Zuvella posted:

Strange time for RPGs. Both Arise and FF16 review super well and I think both are mediocre at best. At least I didnt fall asleep multiple times playing Arise though.

FF16 and Arise kinda feel in the same space to me where there was a conscious effort made to make something more "AAA" game and in both cases I feel like it was ultimately for the worse. Arise just kinda collapses under its own scope and weight where as FF16 is boring as poo poo, so you know again in both instances I guess mission accomplished in nailing the AAA feel, but still. :v:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

they want shady posted:

nah, it's totally doable in regular NG (I platted the game and didn't touch +). Arise's post game is generally pretty good in that you don't have to grind, there's content in it that fills out the curve from whatever level you're around when you finish the game all the way to the 90s if not max level so if there's a gap there's probably something you're missing.

Off the top of my head this is all of it but I don't remember the exact order since I haven't played it since it released:

post game cameo dungeon, Gnome, Sylph, Undine, think there was also another Ifrit in there somewhere but I don't remember. The last challenge is whatever the boss gauntlet in the spaceship was called.

Might be forgetting something but I think that's most of it.

e; if by the training grounds you mean the collosseum you can come back and do those once you're a bit stronger than the recommended level. I did that for most of the cast, since I recall that they started slotting in the pain-in-the-rear end fatties that they love throwing around the latter part of the game for some reason and I only ever really used Alphen and Rinwell while playing normally.

The coliseum in the game is called the Viscient Training Grounds. I beat the Ultimate matches with each individual character, just not the Group Advanced one that has recommended level 60 because the third wave is three of those six-armed zuegels and I ran out of CP. I honestly think Shionne is absurdly powerful, I managed to beat her Ultimate within the target time in one try. She’s an absolute murder machine. She’s also the only character that can hit with both Light and Dark Artes/spells! Rinwell is also good if you have all of her “reduce spell casting time in combo” abilities mastered.

There are apparently some easy lv 66 birds in the Wind Temple that help get your level up quickly. Although I probably won’t play this at the same time as FFVII Rebirth because the controls are so different I keep hitting the wrong buttons.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Colette Brunel is a good character

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

PARA BALL!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

Colette Brunel is a good character

if only the developers of symphonia agreed

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Subverting expectations by making my game not about the chosen one and instead about their dumbass friend, except actually I should have just run with the cliche and kept it about the chosen one because the friend character sucks and is way less interesting.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The game is really about racism, though. Nothing would have happened if people hadn’t been racist against elves. Genus and Raine are more vital to the plot than Lloyd lol

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Tales of Symphonia is Final Fantasy X and Lloyd is Tidus.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tidus is a much better executed character

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Tales of Symphonia is Final Fantasy X and Lloyd is Tidus.

They definitely ripped off FFX but made it worse.

The campfire scene with Lloyd and Collette is Symphonia’s laughing scene.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sydin posted:

Subverting expectations by making my game not about the chosen one and instead about their dumbass friend, except actually I should have just run with the cliche and kept it about the chosen one because the friend character sucks and is way less interesting.

It's come up before, but nah, ToS is just playing a common setup (plot important girl and seemingly unimportant protector mc guy) really straight, including the pitfall where the guy just assumes most narrative importance.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Eh, I mean you're not wrong but also the game tries to play the regeneration journey and Colette's whole deal up as being really important and it is definitely meant to "trick" first time players to set them up for the twist the first time you visit the tower. Compare to FFX as mentioned below, the game positions Yuna as plot important but you're never under any kind of illusion that Tidus isn't a bigger deal. idk maybe the game only took me for a ride because the first time I played it I was like 12. On replays though yeah it still kinda amazes me just how quickly the game completely dumpster's Colette as an important character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Seems Inomata passed away.

https://twitter.com/inomatanekomata/status/1769574473504883081

RIP to a legend.