Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
:siren::siren::siren:STOP THE PRESSES:siren::siren::siren:

Our benevolent overlords Namco-Bandai USA have decreed that a Tales game will actually be released outside of Japan! That game being Tales of Graces F, the version of Tales of Graces that the PS3 received. There's been nothing mentioned about the details of the localisation other than "it's coming" so we'll undoubtedly receive more news soon.

For those unfamiliar with Tales, this is HUGE news. Since Tales of Vesperia, Namco lost hope in the series's chances outside of Japan and totally stopped localising them until now. If you enjoy Tales games at all, make sure to buy ToGF when it gets released!

Splash page announcing it
TOGF Facebook page setup by Namco, more specifically new community manager Filthierich

No details on whether it's the PS3 version or the rumoured Wii version+PS3 content that Namco were apparently working on.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
More info on ToH's battle system thanks to someone on the TOSF:

Emotional Gauge:
Consecutively using things like normal attacks and skills consumes this gauge. Finishing a series of actions will cause the gauge to automatically recover. Using the gauge a lot will increase the number of actions and decrease defense power. Using the gauge a little will cause the opposite. Also, the character's feelings will have an influenece on the gauge.

So think the CC gauge, but with a couple of new twists.

Combination Gauge:
When in battle you can call someone to help a party member or other things, this gauge shows your trust of a party member. This gauge is consumed by using a non-battle party memeber for backup, this is called a "Connect Command". Calling for help will cause a backup character to come in and join together with someone to perform a combination attack.

There are nine different elemental attributes. Obviously, attacking these weak points causes larger damage to be done. Attacking these attributes causes the damge amount, hit ratio, and critical ratio to go up.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
The closest we've gotten to an English ToD PS2 is the Phantasian Productions guy doing a test screen to prove that he could do it eventually :(

Speaking of him, the ToP PS1 script that was the last roadblock in his epic struggle to get his ToP patch done is 100% complete, now he just has to edit and test it.

http://www.tales-cless.org/

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I actually forgot to write about Radiant Mythology 2 in the OP. I even forgot that game existed :doh:

Rest assured I'll give it a place in the OP since it is another Tales game coming soon.

e: done.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 21, 2008

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I just ordered the ToV OST off of Play-Asia. This may be one of the most embarassing/nerdiest purchases I have made yet but I don't care.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Haven't linked this yet so here it is; "throughhim413", who previously beat Phantasian Productions to the punch in translating Phantasia PS1, is now working on translating Tales of Innocence. Statuswise, all of the battle-specific text has been translated, menu text is about 50%, and skits and event scenes have not yet been started. Like the ToP patch it has the option for romanized or translated tech names, but unlike the ToP patch he will use most of Namco-Bandai's names for techs and items now. He also has another secret project which he should announced early September. I hope it's ToD 2 PSP.

http://zettaizero.wordpress.com/2008/07/14/tales-of-innocence-translation-announcement/

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Overlimit has various effects on it depending on what level the bar is when you activate it. I can't say I'm 100% sure on what all these effects are, but I know a few. The higher the bar is when you trigger it, the longer it lasts, and when activate you're unstaggerable, your attacks are stronger (as you know), the normal chain order can be ignored, so you can chain your artes in any order you like, and Burst Artes can be used. Use a Skill Change tech (for Yuri this would be either Cerberus Blast or Lone Wolf Storm) and hold the attack button to trigger one. If you're playing a spellcaster your spells' charge times are drastically shortened as well as all the other effects.

"hi ougi" aka Mystic Arte is basically a FF style Limit Break for everyone. You can't do these in the demo so don't worry too much about them.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

It's been forever since I've played Symphonia, but didn't it not have non-random, non-re-spawning battles like Dragon Quarter? The lack of quickjump annoyed the living gently caress out of me in Final Fantasy II (the original, already-annoying NES version) for instance, but I don't remember minding in Symphonia.

Yeah, Symphonia lacked random battles. So did Abyss too. They weren't non-respawning though, except from a few cases iirc.

One thing I really like about this series is that EVERYONE in the party gains experience after battles, active or not, but they only learn most moves when actually active. This means there's a reason to switch out party members and train them up but you'll not be completely screwed if you decide to ignore someone and you're forced to use them. That and the Synopsis feature in the later games. More JRPGs need that.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Double posting to keep everyone updated on the Tales of Innocence translation. Menu is about 80% done now and progress is smooth. September is nearing so he should be announcing his next, possibily Tales related project then.

http://zettaizero.wordpress.com/2008/08/24/schools-eve-update/

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Some more ToH info, and some of this is interesting.

-Soma are your weapons, and you can upgrade them through "Soma Build" to obtain "Soma Skills". Soma can evolve if upgraded enough.
-"Soma Link" is bascially the relationship meter. Building up a good relationship with your party members will unlock special skills.
-You can go into the mind of your party members through a "Spir Link". It's the mind is called a "Spir Maze". You can also enter the Spir Mazes of NPCs. Rare items and stuff are obtainable through these mazes.
-:siren:There will be multiplayer:siren:

Also there's a new character confirmed through screenshots, and they're pretty much the obligatory child, a witch.

New promo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtgERWptynU

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 5, 2008

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Vesperia's genre name is To Enforce One's "Justice" RPG :eng101:

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Spiffo posted:

I don't know how it is on PSP but if it's like the PSX version then it's a blast. The battles are 2D like phantasia, but they're faster-paced and offer a lot more control (get the Manual item at the dojo right at the beginning). It's pretty much the opposite of "clunky." The battle doesn't pause for spells and many can actually be avoided by moving out of the way. On the PSX version you could have up to four players. The harder modes improve the enemy behaviors rather than JUST increasing HP or enemy stats. There's lots of secret poo poo to find too. Random battles are pretty frequent but can be finished fairly quickly on the easier difficulties - holy bottles are your friend in dungeons though.

It's my favorite in the series :shobon:

The PSP version is mostly identical to the PS1 version, only with almost nonexistant loading times, a potentially game-killing glitch and a slightly different looking menu. It also has an odd flaw with text in one cutscene, and a glaring error with the voices in one other cutscene later in the game.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 16, 2008

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

grantsnx posted:

My only problem is that Rutee and Lion look so creepily alike. Are they brother and sister or something?

They are indeed, at least I'm fairly sure they are.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
:siren:RUMOUR TIME:siren:

This image here

is said to be from the Tales Wii mothership game. But since this is 3D it contradicts these rumours:

-2D game made for the Wii by a combination of Destiny Team and the Ratatosk team.
-Not ToD3, completely new game.
-They're making another (anime-geared) HD project. This will release around Spring.
-Sword of Legendia got a title change.

I think a lot of people would like to see a new 2D Tales game. It being Namco I honestly don't doubt that they've got something coming up for next year. Interestingly enough, according to this the game is set for a Fall/Winter 2009 release, which seems oddly specific to me. There seems to be a lot of secrecy on the supposed trailer too. Perhaps they're not ready to show it to the public yet.

Also here's something interesting about Symphonia: There is a model of Rutee from ToD on the game's disc, and it's possible to use her with an Action Replay cart. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JN4u8TKQKf4

Perhaps she was meant to be in the cameo battle. According to the comments she can cause the game to crash since she can't use all of Kratos's techs.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 5, 2008

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
New trailers for Tales of Hearts and RM2 from TGS.

Click here for the full 500x1688 image.

A pic of all the cutins from RM2 so far that someone inexplicably managed to grab.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 12, 2008

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
The ToI translation is progressing smoothly, with an update just posted. The release of the patch is probably gonna be early 2009 according to the man himself.

http://zettaizero.wordpress.com/2008/10/25/an-update/

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Stow posted:

They better be hiding Jade in there somewhere.

That Jade motherfucker gets everywhere.

Click here for the full 1242x1842 image.

He's in Tales of Hearts too, along with Judas and Lloyd.

Click here for the full 1039x1522 image.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Stow posted:

Wait, what the gently caress? I thought Hearts was going to be a full standalone game in the series. A bunch of playable cameos make me think otherwise.

They may not be playable. I think the scan mentions something about them being a form of support attack. Perhaps they come in, do their thing and then disappear, kind of like assists in fighting games.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
The file is called TOH2 because I had to resize it since the original was too big for Waffleimages :shobon:

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
^^Ah I see, then in that case I would say it's referring to how there's both an anime and CG version of that character.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

I was interested until I found out that the monsters are your main party, and that the other characters are just temporary guests in your party. That, and there's no world map, it just seems like it was rushed out. I'll wait for impressions, though.

I hear from pretty much everybody who played it that the first hour is absolutely awful, almost irredeemably so. It's bascially a huge tutorial.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I don't think so, Abyss has quite a few things like techs which are permanentely missable, sadly.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Tales of Destiny PS2 had hidden moves for the main character that could be earned by beating certain bosses on a harder difficulty :eng101:

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I especially liked glitching the tree system so I could have almost all the skills from both sides :hellyeah:

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
If anyone's interested, here are some Japanese sales figures for this gen's Tales games, from Neogaf:

PSP Tales of Eternia + best - 249k
PSP Tales of the World: Radiant Mithology - 214k
NDS Tales of Tempest - 205k
NDS Tales of Innocence - 197k
WII Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - 195k
360 Tales of Vesperia - 140k
PSP Tales of Destiny 2 - 115k
PSP Tales of Phantasia: Full Voice Edition - 111k
PSP Tales of Rebirth - 75k

Notice the steady decline in sales from Eternia. Even Japan is getting sick of Tales games! :v:

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

This screenshot is from the trailer for the new Wii Tales game, info of which is included on the bonus DVDs that come with Tales of Hearts preorders. Someone out there got the game early it seems. The trailer apparently does not give a title for the game. Looks like they're still going 3D. ToH itself gets released on the 18th so somebody will probably rip that trailer.

Edit: Trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crRmKsFJuTU

The new guy has a nice line in kung-fu, including Hadokens it seems. There also seems to be a new take on the free-run system as well, since the battle footage shows the hero quickly dodging around his enemies, something I haven't seen ebfore in a 3D Tales.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 14, 2008

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
So Tales of Hearts is confirmed to have a cameo battle, and it's Guy from TOTA. He apparently has no lines, not even a voice and just vanishes after the fight. Beating him lets you use him as an assist. On that note, Tales of Hearts is pretty cool so far. I'm not very far in it though. It's worth noting that this time moves aren't just learned through levelling up, they're learned through upgrading your weapon with new moves.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Basically yeah, it's like that. You also learn other skills through weapon upgrading, like Manual Mode.

What I don't like about these skill systems in the later Tales games is that they're beginning to make you earn abilites you were always able to do in previous games by default, like using items on other party members, or viewing Grade after a battle. Yep, ToH makes you earn the ability to see the Grade you get after a battle, which is silly in my opinion.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Technically, I believe the ability to view Grade is earned throughout the main story, not via an upgrade. Still, it's an odd decision, seeing as all the previous Tales games that had it let you see Grade from the off.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
There's a surprising amount of voice acting in ToH, more than in most other JRPGs on the system. I believe it uses the biggest cart size out there, 2GiB or something like that, not entirely sure. It doesn't sound too compressed either.

Mystic Arte wise, everybody has at least one, Shing seems to have two, but nobody knows how to do the second one or if it's even in the game. People have also found a list of all the cameo assists and their attacks, and here they are:

-Groovy Arche (Arche, Tales of Phantasia)
-Majinken/Demon Fang (Stan, Tales of Destiny)
-Rover Item (Rutee, Tales of Destiny)
-Kyokkouheki/Aurora Wall (Rid, Tales of Eternia)
-Kuuhatokkoudan (Loni, Tales of Destiny 2)
-Spiral Driver (Loni, Tales of Destiny 2)
-Final Prayer (Loni, Tales of Destiny 2)
-Senretsukokousen (Judas, Tales of Destiny 2)
-Kogarenzan (Lloyd, Tales of Symphonia)
-Kogetsusen (Presea, Tales of Symphonia)
-Shougetsusousen (Presea, Tales of Symphonia)
-F Flame (Mao, Tales of Rebirth)
-Hiougousgouga (Tytree, Tales of Rebirth)
-Keigansairakugeki (Senel, Tales Legendia)
-Ignite Prison/Infernal Prison (Jade, Tales of the Abyss)
-Sousenga (Anise, Tales of the Abyss)
-X-Buster (Anise, Tales of the Abyss)
-Akisazame/Sword Rain Alpha (Guy, Tales of the Abyss)
-Pierce Line/Piercing Line (Natalia, Tales of the Abyss)
-Beast Blow (Caius, Tales of the Tempest)
-Raise Dead/Resurrection (Rubia, Tales of the Tempest)
-Houshoushuuzan (Ruca, Tales of Innocence)
-Tide Bullet (Iria, Tales of Innocence)
-Ensenga/Shining Fang (Yuri, Tales of Vesperia)
-Resshouyoku (Chalcedny, Tales of Hearts)
-Koranryuuseiotoshi (Krandam, Tales of Hearts)
-Quill Banger (Tetsu Hagane, Tales of Hearts)
-Chrome no Maken (Gilgamesh, Tower of Druaga)
-Cyclone (Valkyrie, Valkyrie's Adventure)
-Wagyanizer (Wagyan, Wagyan Land)
-Kawarawarisoushou (Heihachi, Tekken)
-Kazedama (Klonoa, Klonoa)
-R Cannon (KOS MOS, Xenogears)
-G Shot (KOS MOS, Xenogears)
-High Five (High Touch) (Yayoi Takatsuki, The Idolmaster)

Barbatos also appears in some form, there's a title you get from meeting him, but nobody's found him yet. For ToD2 fans, Beryl has Crazy Comet, complete with extentions.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 22, 2008

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
ToH is the newest mainline Tales game, which got recently released for the DS. It's developed by a combination of Teams Symphonia and Destiny, and one of the big system gimmicks this time is that you can call assists, much like a fighting game such as the Marvel Vs series, to do attacks for you. Because Namco love their cameos, you can obtain characters from other Tales games, and from other Namco games entirely as assists. They just come in, do their thing, and vanish.

This isn't the first time KOS-MOS has been in a Tales game. She was also in TOTW: Narikiri Dungeon 3, which was a big crossover Tales game for the GBA. Here's a screenshot of some of the assists someone got.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 22, 2008

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
One thing of note is that the CG movie edition of ToH seems to have been a failed experiment. It sold about 14k on the first day opposed to the anime movie edition's over 100k. Not only that, the back of the CG edition's box has very small screenshots of the CG itself whereas anime cutscenes are prominent on the anime edition's box, as well as the artwork for the two lead characters. I also believe that they stopped running commercials for the CG edition in Japan prior to the game's release.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Even Namco seem to think it's awful :v:

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
So the Wii Tales game has a name now, the incredibly creative "Tales of 10". Apparently the setting is inspired by medieval Europe this time,

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2008/1553.html

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I really like the animation in this game. They're very fluid, even though the graphics are lovely.

I think they actually used mo-cap for ToS2, unlike with the other 3d Tales games which were hand-animated.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Absolute Zero (who released the first ToP translation patch) and Phantasian Productions are now fan translating Tales of Destiny PS2 Director's Cut. A menu patch is almost ready, and after that a full translation of the game will commence. Nice to see the game finally in English.

http://www.tales-cless.org/
http://zettaizero.wordpress.com/2008/12/31/happy-new-year/

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
All of the Narikiri Dungeon games apart from the very first one are just SRW-style crossover titles so canonwise they aren't really important. The 3rd one is worth playing if you don't mind not getting the plot, the language barrier isn't bad enough to prevent you from playing the game. It has everyone up to Symphonia with Veigue and Clare from Rebirth getting cameo appearences since their game didn't come out in time, making two Tales crossovers Veigue was stiffed on :v:

e: ToD2 also got an enhanced PSP port with additional boss fights, new cutins for the mystic artes and the requirements for some of those made easier. Rebirth also got a PSP port with a few extras added in.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
The ToD: PS2 translation is moving along. They plan on releasing a menu patch first, then starting on the rest of the game, like with ToD2. Fun fact: The menus in ToD PS2 alone have about 500kb of text. That is 5/6th of Tales of Phantasia's entire main dialogue script and twice as much as in ToD2's menus.

Screenshots and progress report here.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 22, 2009

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I don't see why a Swap Magic disc wouldn't work, as long as you have the correct disc for your region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Skychrono posted:

Mary has a horn in that picture of the status screen. Is that new...?

That's no horn, that's just how it looks in that tiny portrait.