Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

I guess this is as close to the right thread as I'll find -- Anyone consider themselves good at Brocade 300 FC switches? I got a boatload of these when we decomm'd one of our production environments and I want to throw them up on the 'bay, but I'm not sure what the best way to factory reset these is. I've reset the passwords and that seems to let me in, but I'm not seeing anything specific in configShow. I've set the management ethernet to DHCP on using ipaddrset, but beyond that is there anything I want to do?

http://community.brocade.com/t5/Fibre-Channel-SAN/Reset-brocade-300-san/td-p/25426

You run a series of commands and it will do a factory reset:

The only way to do this in Brocade switches it through a series of commands:
configdefault -all
passwddefault
ipaddrset (Set to 10.77.77.77)
configure
defzone --allaccess
cfgclear;cfgsave
switchname
chassisname
snmpconfig

Do NOT do the licenseremove command in the forum link, the license is per switch and non-transferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

If the license is per-switch then presumably it won't work on a different switch, so posting them up should be OK. I don't see much need to post anything other than the output from the switch listing what it's licensed for though.

Pretty much this, the 'license' is really more of a per device 'authenticity' certificate embedded in the device. It won't compromise anything to show it to others.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

They'll be on the :yaycloud: by 2030 then!

Its just someone else's server.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

tehfeer posted:

RIP nimble... you were great. HPE is the loving worst they destroy everything they touch. It has already started, nimble canceled their guardians of the galaxies moving screening in my area. I can already smell the HPE stench all over this. I just hope they can keep their support at least half decent until our nimbles are EOL.

Client I'm working with bought Nimble for their AIX system, now I can't wait to see which way that goes...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I don't mind EMC, but yeah Nimble is far better.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

blindjoe posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I mistakenly bought 16 600 gb 15k sas drives. I was given a free Dell san, but they take the drives out to get recycled.
The drives don't work in the san, I guess they need to be the correct firmware.

I was going to put the drives in a couple dell 720s as I need some dev servers, but they report as Netapp in the raid controller, and say blocked.
One answer on the internet was that the drives might be formatted to 520 byte sectors and they could be reformatted to 512 if you can see them in linux.

All my servers seem to have raid controllers so I doubt that I can get to the point where something can read these drives. What do I need to buy to try reformatting these drives?
Its only like $1k of drives (all junk from ebay) but feels wrong to recycle before I try a few more things?

PCjr sidecar posted:

There’s some hdparm (?) or scsi commands to flip 512/520 sector size. I found a blog post about it like five years ago but did not save it. You’ll need at least one non raid controller with direct access to the scsi devs tho.

code:
sg_format --format --size=512 /dev/sg2
Find a simple JBOD SAS controller, and you can reformat them in 512k blocks and it'll work. I had to do that for my HP 70 Storage Array and my 900GB SAS drives.
Took about 45 minutes per disk for my 900GB SAS disks.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 7, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
This is the one I used last time:

Dell SAS Raid SCSI 6/iR Controller Card E2K-UCS-61. Can get them for like $25, you'll nee an adapter too.

H110Hawk posted:

You should verify that your card can't do JBOD mode. The search term you need is "SAS HBA" - you should be able to get a basic one for $150-250 new, much cheaper used. Once you've done the flip with the sg3 utils they should work just fine in whatever you plug them into. The netapp firmware shouldn't impact your ability to use the disks.

https://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/Dell-PowerEdge-RAID-Controller-H830.pdf says it has a 'non-raid (JBOD)' mode. Whether that is exposing the raw disks or not remains to be seen.

Yup. Really, the only drawback to just reformatting is that you'll lose like 2-4% of the total disk space. But the NetApp firmware won't stop you from using the drives.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 7, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

blindjoe posted:

Some kind of $20 6/iR sas card has been bought, we shall see if I can get it figured out in a server.
Is there some kind of driver I have to find for this thing? I am a windows/vmware kinda guy, linux/cli am just a google engineer.

You can just use a USB bootable Linux distro, I used a Debian Live USB. Worked fine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Any opinions on an IBM Storwiz v7000 for a home lab?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

Seems like a good way to turn money into heat and noise

Yeah, thats what most home labs do. I'm.more curious how itd fare and if it supports aftermarket drives like the Dell Powervaults

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Moey posted:

Since when do powervaults take non Dell branded drives? Unless you are just going SAS expansion to a non-powervault controller.

Ive beeb able to use reformatted Netapps in Powervaults before, and some even accept consumer grade SATA

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Moey posted:

The MD line? Would love to fill a MD3200i with cheap shucked drives for some home packrating.

Yup! I havent really found drives they wont accept other than weird issues with drives over 2TB

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Well, since no one knows, Im just gonna jump on this v7000 and see what I can do

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

paperchaseguy posted:

Well if you want my opinion, it seems overkill. I'm assuming someone surplused it to you? Upgrade the code before the swma ends. Best home config is probably iscsi with DRAID 6 on the back end.

No clue if it would accept untested drives, but since it's probably out of warranty you could try.

Its largely for this guy:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Almost missed V7000 chat. Is it FC or FCoE and if the former do you actually have all the necessary switches and HBAs? What are you actually getting, just one management/disk tray or additional disk trays? If the latter again do you have the required SAS cables to chain them?

You'll want it on latest possible code, I've seen some insane bugs on lower firmware levels.

Its just a single Disk Controller, Its FCoE, and I do have the necessary interfaces and cables.

Ill see if I can get the firmware, but its been off and racked for some time so its likely well out of support.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

Dell's storage "strategy" is such a disaster that I wouldn't want to put my eggs in any of their baskets.

Which is sad because EMC used to be fantastic. Its even more confusing since Dell's server offerings and their Hyperconverged stuff is actually really decent. Dunno how they dropped the ball on their SAN stuff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

Apparently the Pure gods have heard my prayers. They have added self-service updates in Purity 6.3.

Just in time for Pure stuff to hit the hobbyist market :getin:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
TrueNAS is hard to beat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Methanar posted:

My companies s3 bill is 7.5 figures.

We're 6 figures in our cloud bill already and not even doing anything in it yet.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Docjowles posted:

My only Brocade exposure was to some of their traditional ethernet network equipment and MY GOD was it a heap of poo poo. I don't remember the details but we had an issue where running certain traffic through it from a host would cause the switch to go into a reboot loop until the host was physically disconnected from the device. Which was certainly something :stonklol:

The FC stuff sounds like it was cool and good though.

Yeah their standard Ethernet stuff was always trash, but they had Fiberchannel down to a science.

Sadly that hosed them in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
TrueNAS is doing some good stuff and has decent support.