Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I've never had a supported iX box in my datacenter, but freenas has been reliable for me so it's probably a reasonable choice. The pricing doesn't look too bad over the cost of bare hardware to get support with it. My current benchmark price for enterprise storage is Qumulo, and truenas looks to be 1/3 or less per TB than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Have you gotten a quote on some qumulo archive tier storage? Even that'll do 1GB/sec per node. I'm on my second cluster and the product and support are stellar.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
They used to have just one class of storage, now it's cheaper depending on the amount of flash and interface speed. The mid tier is what used to be their only tier, you can go all nvme and pay a lot or have very little flash and that's the cheaper Archive tier

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Do you work for Qumulo or are just a big fan? Wondering cos your only posts in this thread are to rep them.

I am a fan, I discovered this thread late so that's why it's all qumulo now. I ran a VNX unified and a nimble prior.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I can't speak to clustering, but I have had some truenas (core, intend to move to scale soon) boxes doing object store backup for ~2 years and they sit there and just work, so the ix technical implementation seems fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

in a well actually posted:

I’d check out Qumulo; it might be a good fit for a streaming workload.

Someone else mentioned them first, so now I can't be accused of being a shill :haw:

Their archive tier might meet your requirements, I use them for my primary video editing storage, and I have no complaints at all.