Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

OldPueblo posted:

Or upgrade ONTAP. :v: (bug fixed in later OS)

Well sounds like our support engineer who has been handling our case might need a punch in the dick then, the way he was talking we should be digging up the body of Robert Stack because this was some unsolved mysteries level poo poo.

I'll look more at that in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

NippleFloss posted:

Based on your description you are hitting BURT 508436. That bug is not fixed (and may never be, because it's actually the expected and agreed upon behavior), but starting in 8.1.3 and 8.2 there is a command that lets you toggle the fru LEDs without having to do the "halt -s" procedure.

There is an issue with a constant flashing LED on the 3200 systems, filed under BURT 472202, and that one is fixed in newer versions of ONTAP. But it sounds like you've got a constantly lit LED so you'd be looking at 508436.

You may also be able to clear the LED from the SP in diag mode. If your support engineer hasn't had you try that yet you might suggest it. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it errors out, depending on how the LED got set.

Yeah, 508436 is our huckleberry. You know what command it is to clear the FRU lights? We're still on 8.1.2P1, but that might be a good motivator to upgrade.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Man Yam posted:

Looking at the NetApp quote it's a FAS2220, HA, 1x12x1TB in the main unit and a shelf of 24x600GB 10K, same for the 2nd unit. I really liked the tight integration with vCenter, but have not seen how EMC and IBM handle their integration. Although all the vendors' engineers agreed that NetApp has a very good interface through vCenter, and I like the same software across all the models.

My boss and I definitely do play the vendor pricing game, along with quarter-end/year-end purchase time frames, we just have not done that yet trying to get higher budgetary numbers for the CFO to sign on. That way we can look like the purchasing gurus when we come in 15-25% under the budget.

At this point I like NetApp, and I am sure my boss likes NetApp. We just do not want to regret our purchase decision like we do with the Lefthand stuff.

We've had a pretty rough time with cluster mode, but 7-mode is still pretty solid.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

NippleFloss posted:

Can I ask what issues you have had with Clustered ONTAP? Did you deploy when 8.1 was still relatively new, before there was feature parity for a lot of 7-mode features?

That may have been a chunk of it. Another has been that it seems like Netapp support and our VAR just weren't familiar with how to do things in cluster mode, so felt like we were paying to have them learn, and our deployment took a lot longer than we had planned.

Otherwise we've just been hitting bugs of various severity, including at least one that has caused us to stop serving data.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

parid posted:

Clustered ontap support, for me, has been noticeably better in the last two months. I'm seeing signs that they are actually fixing that problem.

We have had similar issues with bugs. The latest, some dedupe issue, is blocking our 8.2 upgrade.

I like the idea of cluster mode, but honestly we've hit more bugs in the 6 months we've been running cluster mode than I have in the last 10 years of running NetApp gear.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

cheese-cube posted:

Does anyone have any experience with NetApp Virtual Storage Console for VMware vSphere? Last week I found that there was a scheduled "Optimisation and Migration" task that was running at 10:00PM every Monday and causing havoc across the entire infrastructure (Due to VMs being stunned during snapshot removal). We went ahead and excluded all datastores and disabled the schedule however last Monday it ran again and broke a ton of poo poo!

We spoke to NetApp who just shrugged their shoulders, told us to disable the service itself on the vCenter server and send them the logs. The problem is that there is not much we can do but wait till next Monday to see if it will run again and break everything.

Has anyone else encountered this?

We haven't had that issue, we have had issues with VSC causing a bunch of crazy load on our cluster mode filers though, and making them sad. We don't do a ton of snapshotting though.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

NippleFloss posted:

What exactly is causing the load? The only things that VSC does on the filer other than some lightweight api queries to get filer information is create and delete volume snapshots for backups, and clone volumes or LUNs for the cloning workflow. There are some tasks that trigger VMWare snapshots (as cheesecube alluded to), but the problems with that are on the VMWare side and they shouldn't cause any undue load. I can't think of a single thing VSC does routinely that would cause any appreciable load on a filer other than creating or deleting a TON of snapshots all at once as part of a backup or backup deletion, and even then it would be abnormal for that to cause problems.

It was another engineer in our company chasing it down, but from the bits and pieces I saw it appeared to be a on ontap bug where VSC discovery was causing issues with some of the cluster functionality. If

I recall correctly you work for NetApp, if you're interested in poking more and can look up details based on the case number, I'd be happy to send it to you. We ended up making it go away with an ontap upgrade.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone played around with the NetApp EF540s at all? We've got some requirement around shared storage but like fast stuff and giving NetApp buckets of cash, so figured this looks like a decent fit.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

KennyG posted:

I am maxed with ram on SQL Server standard and upgrading that to enterprise would cost me a minimum of $256K! Our budget is in the $100-$150 range. I do not need a consolidated single solution but it is obviously nicer to have one ring to rule them all.

Is this something that's all internal, or something you're selling to people as part of a SaaS business model or something?

If it's the latter, you might want to look at SPLA, my accountants loving poo poo a brick at the idea of paying for SQL enterprise licenses up front, but are fine paying for them on a monthly subscription basis that ends up costing us more over the long term.

KennyG posted:

edit: This is a 24 hour snapshot of one of my database servers:

:psyduck:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

KennyG posted:

At this time I am looking for information about the 100tb solutions ability to handle millions of small files. I have an avg file size of 300k but it is skewed heavily by a handful of 2+GB files. On a statistical bases my median file size is about 11k. I can run some mode numbers on block size but it ends up in the 8k range. The concern I have is the file system's ability to handle 100+million files with snapshots and dedupe etc. anyone have any real world info on this?

My only experience with this is on the NetApp side, but if you're looking at them as a NAS solution, make sure to have a conversation with them explicitly about this. They have an internal document about high file count environments (we had to sign an NDA to get it) that you'll want.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

PROTIP: Don't buy Safenet encryption appliances. Holy poo poo I've never seen anything as crappy and unstable before.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

JockstrapManthrust posted:

Any info around that shows the performance difference from 7-mode to cluster mode on the same hardware. Something like what the perf gain is from going from 7 to C on a FAS 2240-2 or 3220? Specifically for dedupe with compression and NFS iops. Given that your vserver has more mem and cpu at its disposal you would think that there would be a goodly gain for CPU intensive operations. Or has CDOT yet to fully make use of these?

I don't think we've see anything that I would chalk up to cluster mode directly, but we've also had tons of problems (hopefully fixed in the 7.2 version we just upgraded to), so performance hasn't been a huge focus for us lately.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Vanilla posted:

Anyone had a good look at Pure yet?

Just waiting to get our final budget numbers for 2014 (wtf board) back and then hopefully will be pulling the trigger on pure for SQL backend storage.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Misogynist posted:

I checked Google Analytics on my blog for the first time in a few years; my post on recovering a deleted LUN on an IBM DS storage array has been receiving at least 100 hits a month for the past 3 years. Who are these people?

Very sad people.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

KennyG posted:

This a thousand times. Without going into specifics, we got a massive upgrade due to sales mouths writing a check the engineering team couldn't cash. It always sucks moving through the pain but when the sales engineering team says you pay for a solution and when their solution fails and you aren't writing a check to bridge the gap, they aren't lying.

As a company, it's got to suck for long term profitability, and I'd prefer it was right out of the gate but as a customer nothing shuts you up off a failure faster than when EMC 'makes it right'. Enterprise support is about more than how fast they can ship new gear off a break.

Yeah, NetApp did something similar for us at the last gig due to the big CDOT issues we were having last year. They stuck with us via ungodly huge email chains and conference calls until the issues were fixed, and although I don't think anyone was happy with the situation, I think they did get some credit for the response.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone gone Netapp -> Nimble? We've historically been a Netapp shop, but we've got a small site where we inherited an Equallogic that's on it's way out and we're considering plopping a Nimble there to replace it instead of the gimped out 2520 config we would need to end up at a similar price/performance point.

Mainly just curious what people's thoughts are from a "oh god I miss this SO MUCH" standpoint.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

NippleFloss posted:

What Nimble are you looking at and what's the 2520 config look like?

Nimble CS220 and I went back to our Netapp VAR to get some 2552 configs, I dunno why they quoted out the 2520 initially.

Regardless of the model numbers though, mainly just curious what I'm going to be missing (if anything) going from Netapp to Nimble for vmware storage.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Misogynist posted:

Can you draw a picture of them literally showering you with Windows keys because I'm literally having a hard time visualizing this

I'm not willing to spend any real time on it, but I'm assuming it's something like this:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

pixaal posted:

Is there an easy way for me to test what my current EqualLogic array is capable of in IOs, or what is attempting to be written?

What do you have again? Dell was more than happy to provide us with a spreadsheet of max IOPS for each of their current units with various disk configs.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

three posted:

While EMC's products may be half-baked in many instances, they are at least trying to move with the current. NetApp has seemed to have lost the will to innovate (or at least stay with the innovators). What cool new things can NetApp do that they couldn't 3 years ago?

I think the whole CDOT migration ended up really bogging 'em down for years, hopefully they can actually do some niftier poo poo now.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

adorai posted:

We were really looking for something like a 90 day demo. Basically we were looking for a way to temporarily snapmirror to our 2050 from a cdot filer while we rebuilt our 3240 from 7 mode to cdot. Running the virtual appliance (or two of them) seemed like the path of least resistance.

Everytime I've needed something like this our VAR/NetApp was always able to just throw some loaner heads our way.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Moey posted:

Nimble has some "new" product lines. CS300 and CS500. Looks like they are dropping most of the 1GbE connections with the option of 10GbE copper or fiber.

I wonder if the actual hardware has changed much, or just the controllers.

Looks like CS220 got "gimped" a bit and rebranded a CS215. Amusingly we had a conversation with Nimble sales like 2 weeks ago about "WHEN ARE YOU GUYS GOING TO LAUNCH NEW poo poo" and they played super dumb, even after we offered to sign an NDA.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Internet Explorer posted:

I just bought a 14 3 TB drive EqualLogic with 5 years NBD support for 13.5. It was less than the PowerVault quotes I was getting.

Yeah, we're also getting EqualLogics at or below PowerVault pricing, which is bananas.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I asked in the Virtualization thread, but possible this is a better place.

Anyone using any of the hyperconverged stuff (Simplivity, Nutanix, etc)? We're talking to Simplivity, but was just curious what people's real world experiences have been.

Simplivity seems to offer more flexibility over the "lol here's a block of crap and you'll like it" approach that some of the other hyperconverged vendors shoot for.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

The 15k is going to hold the VHD for the file server. I need a fair amount of storage space, but I need more IO that what the host chassis can support with it's current HDDs. I could fill it up with NLSAS and get the IO increase I want, but it's worth a couple extra bucks to have some room to grow.

I saw Wicaeed paying about the same for a network appliance with chock full of drives, and I was afraid I was getting hosed. It could be the SSDs cost even more than I think, or the difference between direct attached and a basic LAN storage appliance isn't as far off as I think. Thanks!

Lately Dell has been pricing EqualLogic units less than their Powervault line for us. Not quite sure why.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

We're pondering dumping our current NetApp gear (still on 7 mode) and moving to hybrid Tegile (T3200s in particular) for VM storage vs refreshing our current NetApp heads and going through the joy of a CDOT migration.

I haven't seen much Tegile chat, anyone have any thoughts on their gear they want to share? I've heard good things about their all flash arrays, but haven't really run across a lot of people running their stuff in a hybrid configuration.

Really I'm just curious if it's as "set it and forget" as the sales reps/engineers are claiming for NFS vmstores. Backup wise we'll be either going Veeam or Commvault.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Erwin posted:

We looked at Tegile vs. Nimble (vs. VNX lol) and went Nimble (which invalidates the following story because you need NFS), not because anyone we talked to hated Tegile, but because no one felt strongly about it. Nimble feedback is nothing but positive, and their install base is much larger. Tegile's supposedly shooting for an IPO at some point, but until then, Nimble is a little more transparent if you're into that.

Tegile pushes their use of eMLC flash, which is dumb because the point of a storage array is to abstract away the underlying hardware. I spoke to some Tegile references and they were all like "yeah, I dunno, we set it up and it works, it wasn't too bad." So it is set it and forget it, and I was unable to find someone with juicy support stories, so that was my only real concern. Plenty of people vouched for Nimble's support experience, which I can also do at this point.

So tl;dr, we looked at Tegile and it was unexciting, but not bad. And since you're looking for NFS, my Nimble story is pointless except to explain why we didn't go with Tegile. :tipshat:

The "we set it up and it works" is all we've really gotten as well, which is certainly a good thing compared to my NetApp experiences. I liked Nimble as well, but Tegile overall seems like they have a more flexible line of arrays.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 10, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Dick Trauma posted:

We're storing a few hundred gigs of files on a server at corporate HQ, with about 500 more at a remote office. Before I got this job they'd been sold on moving to cloud based storage, like OneDrive but I'm concerned that even with a good internet connection there's going to be a noticeable delay working with their typically large files. Is there some sort of hybrid where the cloud service can replicate to local file servers to keep the speed up? Ideally HQ and the remote office will have centralized storage instead of their currently split locally stored files.

There's a number of vendors that have basically on site appliances (either full replicas or just caching layers) with the "master" copy being in the cloud. Does your company have a particular product already selected? If not, probably the beginning of a bigger discussion. :)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Correct me if I'm wrong, but any filer you buy today is going to be cdot right, there's not a 7 mode option anymore?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

beepsandboops posted:

Are DAS just traditionally JBOD, or do they ever have more advanced features like dedupe, compression, hybrid flash, etc.?

You're going to need whatever is connecting to it to do that magic.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

What's peoples goto these days for big, cheap, reliable archival NFS storage. Async site to site replication would be great too, just really don't have the time to CJ my own solution for archival storage.

Our primary is Tegile, looking for something with a per GB cost somewhere between that and a big fat QNAP. :)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

NippleFloss posted:

Tegile, Oracle ZFS appliances, or NetApp are your cheapest options for enterprise quality NFS storage.

We already run Tegile for primary storage and I don't think they can get pricing down where I'd like, so maybe it is time to hit up our local Netapp guy and see how hungry he is. Oracle is a 4 letter word here after they spent the last year trying to gently caress us super hard on licensing on the software side.

evil_bunnY posted:

Netapp just made us an offer we literally could not refuse. I can PM you the pricing if you'd like. I don't know what tegile costs (they have no VARs here).

Sure, that would be great!

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 9, 2016

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't work in my big company's data center but I wanted to guess how much 625T of slow(ish) enterprise storage would cost. Something that could input/output maybe 2-4G across 4 simultaneous hosts max in practice. For large files. I too embarrassed to show my lovely math but I'm guessing $150-$200k for some turn key product?

You could get to that price point/capacity with some cheap secondary block storage on NLSAS pretty easily.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

bull3964 posted:

Really regretting the purchase of our FAS2554 arrays, mainly due to Netapp's Byzantine support system.

If you have a system that auto connects every day and after an incident, why do I have to go on a scavenger hunt running commands (with little context given as to how I run then) for you to investigate the incident?

With Pure, I press a button and the support team can get in and have access to anything they need to make a diagnosis and possibly a fix.

With Netapp, it's 5 hours of back and forth with someone who gives every indication that they are barely more aware of how the thing functions than me.

Netapp support used to be good! We moved over to Tegile last year and have been happy support wise.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Langolas posted:

With Isilon lately thats a good question. Dell merger seems to not have been as nice with them for turmoil. Have you logged into the new support website? I hate it

Has anyone been happy with things post Dell merger? We got the worlds shittiest account reps after the merger happened. :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Docjowles posted:

There were good Dell reps before?

E: guess you were probably taking about EMC

Nope we actually had a pretty good Dell team pre-merger :(

I got the sense the good Dell reps got pushed out by the EMC folks in talking to folks who worked for both.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

EoRaptor posted:

More like every big company purchase of a startup since 2000. Has this strategy ever worked?

lol NetApp/Everyone they've ever bought

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Walked posted:

Sure; we're aiming for something 20-30tb for a very generic "virtualization" workload; no particular high io workloads; but significant VM usage. Clustered environment.

I've used the Equallogic PS6000 series in the past and it's handled this workload well; but I want to see if there's another option to consider this time through, as cost is a bigger consideration here.

Probably worth talking to Tegile, they can hit fairly low end pricing as well.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Twerk from Home posted:

Has anybody ever quoted out FreeNAS certified servers? I'm doing a little consulting with an academic lab who is looking to improve their setup from "~30TB of usable storage on a single RAID controller in a single SUSE server".

They are needing at least 50TB space, preferably more like 70TB. Budget is more like Synology or QNAP filled with 8TB WD Reds than all-flash Netapp. The only hard requirements are reasonable continuous read performance for less than 5 users at once, NFS and CIFS shares, 10gigE. No need for high availability and it will be backed up to tape regularly.

It's a bioinformatics lab needing somewhere to centralize storage of research data. No home folders stored or high IOPS needed, but I would think that one of the certified FreeNAS boxes would give them a better long-term experience than the QNAP or Synology 12-bay NASes. Any other budget options that would give a reasonable experience?

We talked to iXsystems about their stuff for secondary storage and the quotes they came back with were substantially higher than our primary storage costs. I went through things with them a number of times to make sure they didn't misunderstand our use cases/requirements and that did not appear to be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone have any hot takes they would like to share on EMC Unity? We have a client who is trying to cheap out on a particular project and brought in a 3rd party who convinced them that an EMC Unity would be a great fit for their project.

They're looking for shared backend storage for Oracle on Linux and were looking at a 300 hybrid or 400 AFA.

I haven't heard particularly great things about the Unity gear, but haven't ever run one either.