Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Man we must be some crazy weirdo edge case, I work for a service provider and we've never seen any vendor get above 1.8:1 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Which vendors have you used?

Currently we're on Tegile, I don't recall all of the random platforms in the past.

H110Hawk posted:

Is your data encrypted before it's written to the device?

It is not, just apparently terrible.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

evil_bunnY posted:

Does anyone make a good continuous backup appliance I can point at a bunch of SMB shares? About 30TB worth

Rubrik can do NAS backups, worth checking to see if they can meet whatever your SLA requirements are.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone have a good resource for end of life info for Nimble/HPE? We picked up a client that has CS215 arrays, the OG Nimble rep said they don't go end of support until 2021 but HPE is now pulling out "lol end of support at the end of 2019".

I'm feeling like this is likely slimey HPE rep shenanigans, but I'm trying to verify. Our OG Nimble rep left the company (shocking news).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Probably also worth talking to WD/Tegile or whatever they call themselves these days.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Western Digital is getting out:

https://www.westerndigital.com/comp...storage-systems

I’m curious what DDN is going to do, they’ve been a larger scale player than WD was, although DDN did pick up the corpse of Tintri as well as Nexenta.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Yeah, they had acquired Tegile and also sold a line of on-prem object storage called ActiveScale for folks that needed that (competing with Cloudian, Scality, etc).

From the markets I've seen they had success picking off NetApp customers before NetApp kinda got their poo poo together again.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 20, 2019

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

They seem to be working to squeeze down their storage options from like 20 to 10 (with a big focus on Powerstore), so that's progress I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

evil_bunnY posted:

Do any of you run on-prem object stores (±1PB) you're happy with?

We had very boring/reliable (now owned by Quantum) ActiveScale cluster that we have been quite happy with. Can't go into details (lol thanks legal agreements) but we did not have a good time with Cloudian.