Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
We've only recently begun to Virtulize, with ESXi. Probably going to be buying a starter kit for 3 servers + VMM here in a bit from VMWare, right now I am just digging the free version and working with the evaluation of the rest.

I'm using 6 servers, Dell PE2950's and 1950's - they have the newer CPU's that support Intel-vt. All have 8gb of ram except the 2950 running our primary SQL 2005 server - it has 16gb. They host our custom web-based application(s), so there are 2 IIS servers, 2 Active Directory DC's, a Backup Exec server, 2 SQL 2005 servers (one primary, the other mirrored), and an ISA 2006 firewall, plus a file storage host. Pretty simple stuff.

I've also inherited (from the previous CEO) a Dell/EMC AX150i iSCSI SAN with 8 out of 12 disks filled with 500gb SATA drives. Finally I have two Dell 5724 iSCSI optimized switches to tie it all together outside of my regular network.. The fun part has been trying to fit them all together.

So far I've managed to get several of our lighter load servers virtual-ized, but I am unsure if I should do so with the SQL Server - we don't have an enormous load on it (it hosts our customer management apps and product catalogs, and runs just fine on a 2950 w/RAID 5 local storage, Perc 5i controller). Is my setup too low-rent for such a situation? Any general pointers on how I should set up ESXi with the AX150i/my config?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU