Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th

On the train so can't give too detailed a reply but: I used to look after a lot of media accounts at my old role and what you are talking about it 100% the use case for EMC isilon.

Here's a big old list of users from years ago: http://www.storagenewsletter.com/rubriques/business-others/apple-isilon-itunes/

So it's a node based file architecture. Basically you add 'nodes' and each node adds the amount of compute, storage and networks so it gets bigger and faster the larger it gets and used by pretty much every media house for exactly what you say. Dead easy to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

tehfeer posted:

We have been running our two nimble units for a year now. Their sales and support has been great. No one could beat their price and their sales guys actually responded to questions. The unit itself is easy manage and work as advertised. I have no complaints. Its night and day compared to our old HP SAN. If you have any more questions shoot me a PM.

Thanks for the replies on this.

I actually have a bit of a battle going on between Nimble and Pure but will end up with one of them very soon

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

NippleFloss posted:

We partner with both and I have a very hard time recommending Pure over Nimble in most cases. It's more expensive and the extra performance won't mean much to most customers who won't max out either array. Both are really easy to use, so that's a wash, but Nimble has better integration with things like Veeam and Commvault.

If it's for VMware only then Tintri also has a good product.

So i've asked around various people who know the two (and others) well and it boils down to this -

Both are very different and both agree that if they see each other in a deal one of them is in the wrong place. If I can summarise my high level points:

Pure:

+ Solid Product
+ Apparently a better roadmap.
+ Pre-IPO
+ Heavily disrupting
+ Everyone is talking about them
+ More performance
- Expensive
- Limited Addressable market

Nimble:

+ Solid Product
+ Inexpensive
+ Greater addressable market
+ Cautious grower
- Literally no negatives I can address

The thing that is swinging me towards Pure is I know the Rep I will be working with. In the Pre-Sales world it's like a marriage. You need to be a good team or you spend the next years hating it......so i'd even take a lower offer if I know the rep.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

That reminds me - for those of you who were following my job race between Nimble and Pure I did eventually join Pure and am loving the product and the company so far.

Assisted on my first install a few weeks ago. Took longer to rack than set up.....I was stood there saying 'is that it?'

I'm surprised at how many Pure employees are actually ex-customers.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

If you go back something like 2 years you'll see me griping about how much of a cluster gently caress EMC gear is to set up and maintain. I think you and I talked about it a bit. There is so much better out there for most organizations.

Yup, aint that the truth!

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Moey posted:

What area are you working in? I just met with some Pure folks last week.

Out in EMEA ;)

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Richard Noggin posted:

AFAIK EMC SANs (and probably the vast majority of SANs in general) use custom firmware. Chances are the controller won't even identify the drive.

...and I think they used a 520 block size rather than your usual 512.

The disks must be pretty small? 146/300GB? Worth buying one just to try?

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Not forgetting a few other things such as Nimble being comparatively cheap (think against Netapp) and includes all software

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

KennyG posted:

Let's talk Isilon scale limitations. I have an app that relies heavily on smb. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_discovery. We have a file tree on a single Isilon cluster that is more than 2 billion files. Each file is in a folder that's a sub path based on the fileId. the vendors app runs this way and I can't reasonably expect them to redo it. Thankfully I get a path like [project]\[filecategory]\[00-99]\[00-99]\[00-99]\[00-99]\[0000000000-9999999999]\*.ext or smb would further cry but this is causing anything on the Isilon that walks the file tree to squeal like Ned Batey in a swamp.

I really really really don't want to put the files in a Windows or Linux VM as this is a massive pain in the rear end for VM management. The benefits of quotas, hardware/metadata snaps, replication, scale out, management of things, APIs, reporting etc that the Isilon does well are what drove us to make this decision. Unfortunately it's crumbling under the weight. Unfortunately the app does not natively speak object. It requires Windows smb and every object gateway I've seen falls over far before we hit the billion file mark.

Anyone got another idea for a scale out, clustered file system that gives me substantial insight and management help the way oneFS should? I can't believe I'm looking for something that scales better than Isilon but what scales smb better for billions of files, but you don't know until you ask.

It's been a long time since I looked at isilon but I recall you could add SSD drives and it would use these for metadata - making such things as you describe faster. Are you using these?

(been a long time so I may have it mixed up or be flat out inaccurate with my thoughts)

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

Goddam I am so out of touch on storage. I think I'll try and push this off to a VAR to solve and see what I can learn from the process.

There is a wide range of knowledge here. People working for and having experience with big vendors, small vendors, all flash vendors, backup vendors, cloud, etc.

Just give as much detail as possible (remembering it's a public forum) and i'm sure a lot of people here will be able to point you in the right direction and give you a list of a few products to pursue. Your requirements don't fit anywhere near the company I work for (all flash) but I used to work for a large vendor so happy to give my 2c.

It may just be my experience but I often find that VARs really do add little value but love to charge 30%+ margin. When customers work with the vendor direct and insist on pass through the VAR basically gets forced into very little margin - better for you.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

NippleFloss posted:

This is highly variable. The VAR, in theory, owns the relationship with the customer and has a good understanding of their needs. Often they will be providing additional services to that customer beyond the ones for this specific vendor so they have a better understanding of what's required for integration.

I've been on both sides as vendor and VAR and it's really dependent on the people involved. As a VAR we've had vendors bypass us and deal direct with the customer and just use is as order fulfillment and end up screwing things up terribly because they undersize the solution or don't understand the requirements. They just walk in and make a pitch and get a sale and then we have to clean up the mess.

Most vendors will only work through the channel anyway and bypassing the VAR isn't possible. It's also not a great idea if you want them to pitch you to new accounts. And, of course, it's hard to expect great service when you start out the engagement by basically trying to cut them out of the deal.

All valid points.

Maybe my experiences have been bitter :)

You're right in that the vast majority of vendors will only push through channel, but it's harder for a VAR to add high margin when they're essentially pass through. Valid if you're introducing a VAR to an account, not so if they are incumbent!

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Crunchy Black posted:

Re: Tegile chat.

We were speaking with them about a mid-priced solution for our customers that don't want to pay :bernpop: for Pure and the Tegile spinout at WD happened right in the middle of that. VP of ENG was only on the adversarial customer call (which was p. bad) but the promoter client call was p. good. They were immediately out and we haven't gone back to do another market analysis and continue to gently caress our customers who don't need NVMe over. It rules.

Friends don't let friends buy tegile.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Crunchy Black posted:

Fair enough, what's a flash, scaleable solution we can go to in the segment with triple 9s?

BTW I actually just came out of a 2 year posting Haitus to post that!

If Pure pricing is putting you off I'd consider Nimble. Well made, infosight is cool and they come in at a reasonable bang for the buck.

It sounds like you are working for some kind of reseller that is looking to add to your portfolio? No harm in pitting Pure and nimble against each other and see if they race to the bottom.

Edit: Also closer to six nines

Vanilla fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 9, 2019

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

It's common for Hyper-V to be lower down the priority list with all vendors. Expect fewer plugins, less interoperability, less features, less prevalence in demo centers - all simply because VMware has the lions share of the market. However, this is not your fault - you have to go with whatever works best for your chosen stack.

You could always ask for a Proof of Concept - no payment until it's working against a set criteria. Quite often these get weighed heavily towards the vendor still.....but this way around is a lot easier than trying to get your money back off a vendor. It also shows their confidence in the solution - will they put kit on the ground for 60 days? Will they have an engineer at HQ available to help - just a few calls or a webex when you get a bit stuck?

Given zero references I think you're well within your rights to ask for a POC.

Edit; just seen your username. Great A POC. Fitting.

Vanilla fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 12, 2020

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Moey posted:

Just racked a Dell/EMC Unity XT 480F to demo.

I'll report back next week if it functions as intended or if it is a hot dumpster fire.

You are aware they have just announced their new omgPowerStore line to replace all the things? Including unity afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Pikehead posted:

Does anyone have Pure storage and VMware Site Recovery Manager?

At work it takes (literal) hours for a failover, when I know on Hitachi G400/SRM it can take up to just 7 minutes to have the vm(s) up and running on the other side.

Seen many people with it, call support. Something funky is going on and someone will have a look