Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

markus876
Aug 19, 2002

I am a comedy trap.

Ray_ posted:

Woah woah woah, as far as I know, the s550's only ship with a single controller. Did my reps tell me wrong?

See:
http://www.netapp.com/us/products/storage-systems/s-family/s-family-product-comparison.html

"Full Hardware Redundancy: No"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markus876
Aug 19, 2002

I am a comedy trap.

Wicaeed posted:

Netapp FAS270 filer head with two or three HD magazines..
How hopelessly outdated are these things?

The FAS270s aren't really that ancient. They were never known for speed, but they are plenty reliable, and with a few shelves of disks, should move along alright. Really, the biggest performance issue is the small amount of memory that it can use for caching.

If you know someone with a NOW login (now.netapp.com), you can download software for it. I think the 270s were end-of-sale about half a year ago, but they are definitely not end-of-life, so may even be able to buy support for it if you care.

The shelves it uses are hopefully DS14mk2 units. If so, they can take 144 or 300gb FC drives if you want (10k or 15k). I'm also pretty sure you can attach DS14 shelves that are meant for SATA disks if you want capacity.

So to sum up - they aren't fast, but they are pretty reliable, and they are relatively modern / can run modern ontap.

Worst case, I'm sure you can eBay or sell it to a hardware reseller if you can get it cheap.

markus876
Aug 19, 2002

I am a comedy trap.

Wicaeed posted:

Erg, I guess I had a mistype, it's not a 270, it's a Net Appliance NetApp F720 :v: and it uses Eurologic NetApp XL501R Fibre Channel JBOD FC9 (I know our company has a bunch of FC7's laying around)

How outdated is that? :)

OK, yea, thats quite a bit older :) I would probably pass on this one.

markus876
Aug 19, 2002

I am a comedy trap.

hackedaccount posted:

2) You mentioned storing drives in the closet. Some OSes are sensitive to device names and will crap out when they change. For example, say the first time you connect hard drive #1 to USB port #1, disconnect it and put it in the closet. Then, the 2nd time you connect hard drive #1 to USB port #2 and suddenly Windows thinks the logical volume is broke. I can tell you how to get around this problem in Linux but I have no idea how it works (or if it's even a problem) in Windows.

If you setup the drives (or you can "upgrade" them into this state later without data loss) into what Windows called Dynamic drives I'm pretty sure you won't have this type of problem. I think it works similar to how it does in linux where there is a uuid or similar written to the beginning of the drive and the OS uses the uuid to determine information about the drive rather than the port it is plugged into.