Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

HPE is the problem. It's like Oracle. Not to be trifled with if you can at all avoid it.
1) I would buy another Nimble today, no problem. I don't care who owns them, the product is great.
2) I love my Oracle ZFS appliances (though I don't think I would buy them again, because I can just buy Nimble)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
we have multiple unrouted layer 2 subnets for storage. No reason to introduce any extra latency when you can avoid it.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
In my opinion, there is a shitload more spare compute capacity on an array than iops. On a hybrid array, dedupe and compression are going to allow you to fit more data into cache, which is going to improve your performance so long as you are not out of CPU (and you are not on an array that has some known performance penalty for dedupe, looking at you ZFS).

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I am looking at buying some new arrays. I am currently using Nimble and Oracle ZFS storage, and I want to consolidate into a single array at each site. The two contenders are Pure and Nimble. I am pretty sure I will get Nimble for less money, but I like a few things about Pure. One really cool feature is snap to NFS. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has experience with both arrays and could tell me if it really is worth paying a price premium for Pure. Any takers?

edit: I am looking at ~120TB to 150TB effective/usable and ~100k expected IOPS. Mix of Windows and Linux servers, plus 500 seats of VDI.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

kzersatz posted:

I'm a fan of both, but some workloads are not great for PURE, where others run like greased lightning.

We use Nimble as our performance minded "Doesn't deduplicate" block storage offering, commonly video applications, or very large VMDK's that don't require greased lightning, but have large disks.
If this says anything though, we have nine separate PURE arrays, and three nimble.
What I am inferring from your post is that data which does not dedupe does not necessarily perform well on Pure. Is that your assessment? My org is a bank with terabytes of images (loan docs, account agreements, check images, etc..) which doesn't compress or dedupe. Performance isn't an issue for these items, but they will be stored on whatever array we purchase. We will also have a lot of SQL and generic VMware.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
We installed our new Nimble HF40 this week and I would be surprised if it has more than 3mm of clearance left in the rack. The longest SAN I have ever seen.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Doesn’t do SMB (not well, anyway).
Yeah, Pure will run a VM on the array to provide CIFS/SMB, it doesn't do it natively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
It hurts me to do it, but I can recommend oracle for this sort of product. The ZFS appliances they acquired in the Sun acquisition are pretty great. And they aren't necessarily the "gently caress you" kind of pricing Oracle is known for.