Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

How many people are doing boot-from-SAN (ie: no hard drives on the physical server)?

I'm absolutely loving it, you can't beat the fact of screwing up a boot disk, and to fix you simply present + remount it as a regular volume on a different computer to easily fix. All from a 1000 miles away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

What are people using for doing their I/O tests of boxes?

bonnie++ or just straight 'dd' or any other package?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

rage-saq posted:

I prefer IOmeter. Here are some ideas towards creating some workloads to help evaluate storage performance.

brent78 posted:

Also recommending IOMeter. But more importantly, try to simulate the actual workload that you expect to use. I recently had a vendor tell me "you should be getting at least 8,000 IOPS on that LUN, not sure why you're only seeing 8,000". As it turns out, their test was performed using 512B blocks, 100% sequential, 100% read. Well duh.

Unfortunately I'm running Freebsd - although I can probably get IOmeter working under the linux emulation. Just haven't seen any 'success' parts while googling so far. So I'm looking for other various industry standard ones.

And yes, I'm well aware of testing my load, not someone else's marketing focused one. In one of our applications, bonnie++ is actually fairly close to what we're doing (numerous files).

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Hey, the 720/40/60 series are beasts!

Beasts in how much power they use, how much noise they make, how much space they take.

But they're stable as a rock - we've still got a couple in active use, they're that good. (Realistically they've been replaced by a newer box - they make for good scratch/tmp space now).

The main issue is the fun of sourcing replacement drives.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

I'm guessing your problem is the nvram card - failing due to dead batteries.

(We've had that problem in the past). Radio shack/CC should have them - IIRC they are "CR2422" or something similar, just pop them out and replace them.

Oh yeah, rip out all the other cards first to get it booted up properly.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Wicaeed posted:

Can anyone get me the Data ONTAP 5.3.6R1 system diskette? I need to reset the password on this thing to find the license files, and until I do I'm stuck :(

Considering that you don't have platinum, haven't posted an email address, and not everyone uses AIM - it's kinda hard to contact you out-of-band with contacts that do Netapp stuff that aren't on the SA forums.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Anyone ever play with Infortrend gear and have any stories?

Someone in a local datacenter is looking to blow a few out rather than attempt to ship it, and it might be a nice general storage type box.

A24F-R2224: 24drive, 2G-FC to SATA san system..
http://www.infortrend.com/main/2_product/es_a24f-r2224.asp

A24F-R2430: 24drive, 4G-FC to Sata san system..
http://www.infortrend.com/main/2_product/es_a24f-r(g)2430.asp

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

I've seen colos ("professional" ones that is) that can't handle doing 230/208 for administrative reasons rather than technical ones.

All their usage/growth planning are done in 120v, and have no way to deal/convert other voltages to fit that. A side benefit is that usually it keeps the rack density down so that they can rent more racks to the same customer.

Of course, these are the colos that provide 3phase 208v for the same price as 1 phase 208v once they do the administrative "upgrade". [I know of 1 group that got that into their contract - lucky bastards for the time being]

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

zapateria posted:

Speaking of which, how do i monitor performance on a EVA4400 SAN? There are some WMI's but the provider keeps crashing so they're pretty useless. Then there's something called evaperf, a command line utility.. Is that it?

Yes - It'll give you access to a huge amount of raw stats. The problem is making something useful of those stats into your monitoring environment. Google can be your friend at that point.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

I'm more of a network person, but over the holidays got the extended-relative -business-owner query about replacing their servers and basic SAN storage. (Yes, I told him to talk to his consultant group, since they know what they hell his needs actually are.)

But that got me wondering about is: what is the baseline/entry level enterprise SAN systems these days?

The OP is from 2008, so things I'm guessing have changed completely, and most discussion in this thread is about $100k+ systems recently (or <$1k).

So what are people doing these days when you've got a ~$10-15k storage budget for "general purpose" enterprise usage?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Thanks, that nicely weeds out the "It's not more than $5-8k" type of comments/boasts that can be heard on occasion.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

So many of the backup SaaS companies are attempting to just resell someone else's storage service with a nice markup on each gig.

I deal with cloudberrylab.com / msp360.com (they renamed). They license their software yearly for functions like you mention, and then you give them some cloud storage provider (aws/azure/google/backblaze/etc/etc) account to dump the backups to, which gives some nice transparent pricing and storage compliance assurance. You can signup as a "msp", with just 1 license btw, and everything has a 15 day trial I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Anyone got any recommendations/horror stories on low-end SAN systems (~100TB/hybrid/rackmount) for data storage? Was looking at something like XiSystems/Truenas X-series kind of thing. A step above homebrew kind of thing.