Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

EoRaptor posted:

If a controller fails, those drives don't vanish, they are picked up by the other controller. Access is universally slower now, but you stay up and data should stay consistent.

There are several ways this can be set up (active/passive, active/active, smart backplane, etc) that each have performance and cost tradeoffs.

MPIO protects against more than just a controller failing and the partner taking over disk ownership, which is more of an high availability thing.

MPIO will protect against any failure on the fabric - so target/initiator port, cable, switch, switch port, etc. Some of these failures would be protected against HA too, but MPIO is needed at the driver level too.

But maybe I'm splitting hairs...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Internet Explorer posted:

The support has been hit or miss. Have had a hard time getting a hold of anyone in their support chat who knows anything, and they supposedly "dispatched a tech" over 48 hours ago, but we were able to get it working and are now updating the firmware.

It definitely seems like these SANs were build from the bottom up, with dozens of little tools and separate interfaces, which is very different from the Equallogic side of things. I am very excited to put it through it's paces and then put it in production, though.

This has been our feedback to EMC as well, both on their rather awful support and the interfaces/tools used to manage their arrays. They may have a ton of market share and solid architecture, but they are far behind in those two areas IMO.

It's nice to have an ear direct into their engineering teams to give feedback on their UI, hopefully they are able to make some progress.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

spoon daddy posted:

(17 62xx clusters)

I wanna work there.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I haven't really had a chance to take a look at this myself yet, but any tips/links/advice for someone who's been supporting Cisco MDS/Nexus switches and will soon need to jump into management of Brocade?

We'll have some test gear to play around with and will be able to lean on Brocade for some training and such, but any other helpful stuff would be awesome!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Mierdaan posted:

Any recommendations on 3rd party service providers for out-of-warranty NetApp gear? Already checked out Service Express.

I've had good luck with Canvass Systems for a variety of vendor hardware.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

parid posted:

Anyone have recommendations for backup storage target systems? Commvault's software dedupe and compression tech continues its march to mediocrity. I'm getting real tired of them moving the goal posts for dedupe database's system requirements (it's now: just put it on FusionIO).

We, as an organization, have gone round and round with them on this as well...very annoying.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Kaddish posted:

Just did an SVC upgrade including node swap to new hardware this weekend. Went from ----wait for it----- 4.3(!!!!!!) to 7.2. Overall it went very smoothly but I'd be lying if I didn't feel a little anxiety at times.

My god you'll be so happy with the UI improvements.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Muslim Wookie posted:

But anyway, who's looking forward to Insight? I can't wait, shame there won't be any interesting announcements this year though. But hey, free certs!

I won't be going, but quite a few colleagues will be there.

From my understanding, the first cert is free. After that, they are half off.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

NippleFloss posted:

They're likely using the C series as standard rack mount boxes, and not part of a UCS managed deployment. C series can happily run as standard dumb servers without UCS Manager or fabric interconnects.

Exactly this. We get amazing pricing from Cisco so it makes sense and is much easier/faster to order up a C series box when we need a server. Wouldn't be surprised if the same isn't the case in that situation as well.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

NippleFloss posted:

Never watch a NetApp boot. If it comes up in the end then it's usually fine. If it doesn't then you know somethings wrong. Watching the flood of dmesg-like output will just give you a coronary event.

I like watching them boot :ohdear:

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Computer Serf posted:

It took over a year, but our storage vendor just confirmed a bug in the way OSX implements SMB. It's not actually their fault, they opened a ticket with Samba who opened a ticket with Apple..

dear god

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Interesting news from Brocade/Broadcom this morning:

https://community.brocade.com/t5/Wingspan/Broadcom-to-Acquire-Brocade/ba-p/89520

quote:

As part of this transaction, our Storage Area Network (SAN) business, will offer a strong complement to Broadcom’s offerings and capabilities, creating one of the industry’s broadest portfolios for enterprise storage. We believe that we will be able to further strengthen our OEM and partner ecosystem and help customers meet the next-generation network and storage requirements of digital business.

In terms of our IP Networking business, due to competitive overlap with some of Broadcom’s most important customers, Broadcom will seek a buyer for the business. We have built an attractive IP Networking portfolio, designed to enable customers to transform their networks into platforms for innovation. As we support Broadcom in its efforts to find a buyer, our goal is for the IP Networking business to continue to thrive and see to fruition its strategic vision.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Not sure if any of you guys are using Cisco's DCNM SAN client, but there is a real nice bug in 10.1.1.

Keep a known good copy of your server.properties file located in the \Cisco Systems\dcm\fm\conf directory. Something is corrupting the file, which will prevent DCNM from launching correctly.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone have any hot takes they would like to share on EMC Unity? We have a client who is trying to cheap out on a particular project and brought in a 3rd party who convinced them that an EMC Unity would be a great fit for their project.

They're looking for shared backend storage for Oracle on Linux and were looking at a 300 hybrid or 400 AFA.

I haven't heard particularly great things about the Unity gear, but haven't ever run one either.

we have a couple in production and so far, only one serious performance problem that was addressed with a code upgrade.

the HTLM5 mgmt interface is so much better and for the most part, it has been pretty easy to use and manage. there are a few weird things with the UI that are strange, but that's pretty much par for the course for any of these things.

all in all, so far so good.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
This Intel bug is going to be a doozy...

Has anyone seen official storage vendor responses yet as a result?

Not my blog, but I thought this was a fair summary of things:
https://lonesysadmin.net/2018/01/02/intel-cpu-design-flaw-performance-degradation-security-updates/

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Time for a new thread since this one is broken?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

kzersatz posted:

I hate DCNM with a passion, but we're running a dated version due to purchasing our MDS's through EMC (predecessors call).
If you have the bandwidth to learn the CLI, do it, if you don't, stick to the GUI and call it a day.

DCNM is usually pretty tolerant of whatever version of NXOS version you might be running. We had licensed versions of DCNM in a previous role and generally liked it, being able to have multiple fabrics open at the same time was a great. Plus some nice performance/stat collection. Anyways, not as fast as the command line, but helps newbies from making a mistake if you're running a larger storage team or trying to create standards/documentation. The 10.x versions have a slick upgrade process that's nice for pushing out code to switches too but yeah...not a tool that everyone will like.

Here's the support matrix for v11:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/11_0_1/comp_matrix/b_compatibility_matrix_11_0_1.html

A quick glance to me looks like it supports any version of NXOS that's supported on the MDS platform. My guess is you'd be fine to upgrade. From v10 on they started to push almost all functionality to the web interface. I ended up still using both the web and client GUI depending on what I wanted to do.

CampingCarl posted:

My company has a couple of the Buffalo 5010 Terastations I have a couple questions about.
1. We want to expand the space on them. CDW is quoting us on the Buffalo brand drives but is there an issue with getting some WD Golds off Amazon for cheaper?
1b. Side note I was also asked to look at putting in a couple SSDs to see if that would speed anything up.
2. Since you can't really expand a RAID array am I right in that the best course is to back the whole thing up, rebuild the array with more drives, and copy it all back?
3. I suspect that there is some issue with thumbnails when people are looking at/searching directories on a share. Windows just eats a bunch of CPU with the dll handling thumbnails and doesn't give it up until killed. May not be a question for this thread but I'm curious if anyone has seen something similar.

Generally, vendors will require specific firmware to be running on the drives installed which is why CDW is quoting you the way they are. Google around (or contact Buffalo if you have support) and see what they say.

qutius fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 22, 2019

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

SlowBloke posted:

Another MDS question, we might have to decommission out MDS9124 and upgrade to a more modern 9148S. Am I going to need to redo the configuration/zoning from scratch or could i import the config from the old switch to the new one?

That'll be a nice upgrade.

You can copy the config from the 9124 to the 9148S then move your connections over.

This is a good summary, though you won't need to worry about certain parts of this procedure like the license stuff:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/storage-networking/mds-9500-series-multilayer-directors/117621-configure-MDS-00.html

qutius fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 7, 2019

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Is anyone around here using or has used, or at least tested out, Unisphere Central?

I haven't really found much out there on people actually using it, which makes me think its a nightmare. This would be for Unity arrays only at this point, no older gear arrays in my environment.

CloudIQ is great for telemetry and alerting, but the business is asking/hoping for a centralized spot for actual config changes and such.

Edit: Now that I actually think more about this, I think I'll push to have CloudIQ as the pivot point for all these arrays. If someone needs to make actual changes on the storage, local Unisphere is a click away...still interested in if anyone out there is using Unisphere Central tho.

qutius fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 4, 2019

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
We will be installing some Isilon A2000s soon, which I guess are loving massive too. Who needs rear doors?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

devmd01 posted:

VNX5300 is wiped, powered down, and cables ripped out. We’re gonna have a company come pick it up next week and give us $300. Good riddance! We are now 100% Pure only.

What a glorious day!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Moey posted:

So anyone actually test/run the Unity or Unity XT lines?

I inherited a bunch of Unity 300 arrays, a 450f, and about to do a head swap on a 300 to a 500.

They get the job done, price points are good, and upgrades are easy.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Moey posted:

I'm having zero issues with the Unity XT 480F units. We are only doing block via iSCSI, and probably got around 3x the space for the same price as Pure.

For the price, they aren't bad arrays. I managed 10 of them in my previous role, and the biggest complaint I had was EMC loving up serial numbers and site IDs. Once I got that fixed up, CloudIQ was really handy.

I can't remember which software release came out last year, but the advanced deduplication and compression improvements were nice too from what I remember.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Rubrik is great, especially so if your account team is solid. They have had some shuffling on their executive level, which may or may not mean much. I have had quite a few career backup/recovery engineers land there and vow to never work anywhere else if they have a say in it.

Zerto just got bought by HPE, and is so very expensive. For certain workflows, it is an excellent product.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Nothing much wrong with the PowerStore, either.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

HalloKitty posted:

I think the products are fine, but the rituals you have to perfom to get access to the firmware updates...

WHY is it so loving difficult?!

So glad to have gotten out of storage/IT operations...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

evil_bunnY posted:

The workloads you're describing could be easily served by Isilon capacity/hybrid nodes, but no idea where that falls price wise.

Yup, all day long.