Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Hey mid-range storage expert goons! I was wondering if I could get a fact-check from you folks. I've been reading about reports of SAN failures and, well, we just had one :(

Dell/EMC AX150i, dual-SPs, populated with 750gb SATA drives, pretty simple setup (about 5 servers connected). Just allocated the last of my storage to extend our fileservers a few days ago. Suddenly during our normal backup (3am-ish) I get alerts that all of the servers attached to that particular SAN box have dropped their disks.

No pings from management (on either SP), no pings from any iSCSI port. yikes. A reboot of the SAN and re-flash of the FLARE on SPB (which had just kept rebooting itself) and we're back up and running.

So here's my question: Dell's EMC guy tells me that "its a best practice not to put any LUNS on the OS drives' disk pool", which is 4 of my disks (about 1/3 of my total capacity). Apparently since I allocated all the available space on the OS pool, it caused the SAN OS to run out of page space when the IOs went up during our backups.

So am I seriously not supposed to store anything on the ~2TB of OS pool disk just because the SAN OS needs it for a pagefile!? This seems insane to me and a horribly bad design. Anyone else have this experience or any insight into this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Catch 22 posted:

You can store data on the OS LUN, but its best not to.

That's why you carve up a SAN. The 4 dedicated OS drives you buy need to be small and fast. 36GB 15K. It sounds like your storage needs pushed you to a AX4 but you cheaped out with a non-expandable AX150. (that's ok, but something to think about)

Yes, the SAN was supposed to be for one set of servers, but it got expanded to include others that probably would have been better served by something like shared SCSI for some of the use (2-node clusters). I guess I was expecting the SAN to have some kind of internal disk for the SPs, this was bad research on my part.

Me: "sure we have all this unused disk space!" :v:

Live and learn, fortunately we can work around this, it just sucks having all that unused space.

Catch 22 posted:

Also, you said 2TB? You have your 4 disk OS array without a hot spare? It should be raid 5 with a HS.

Yes we have a hotspare, but it's not assigned to a particular pool (it doesn't give me the option, it seems the 150 just has a shared hotspare for all pools)

Thanks again catch-22! I appreciate the response.