Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Get thee to the NetApp PowerShell Toolkit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Parias posted:

Neat. I'm always a fan of Powershell-based solutions. Does it support Exports manipulation inside of a vFiler though? The documentation seems a little vague on that front.

I no longer administer a NetApp, and the old job never ran vFilers, so I can't say. But isn't one of the benefits of vFilers that they behave like a seperate NetApp? I would say Add-NaNfsExport and other commands would work against a vFiler just like a real "full" NetApp.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

madsushi posted:

iSCSI-only with awful VAAI support means it's not well-suited for VMWare
You need to replace your SSDs every few years

Not sure why "iSCSI-only" makes it bad for VMware. As for "awful" VAAI support, which primitives are you missing that you wish you had? (Note: This is a test) I found VAAI support to be great.

Every SSD will need to be replaced every few years, perhaps the ones in the Nimble sooner than some other array where they are not a pass-through cache. But the failure of an SSD in the Nimble is a non-event. The cache is simply temporarily smaller and there is no interruption in service. Want to test it? Pull an SSD live.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

It is out of date. See the bottom of http://www.nimblestorage.com/products/software/ I can't point to anything more definitive that isn't behind a support login.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

If the array is only for a proof of concept or similar ask your Nimble representative for the latest beta firmware.

Edit: concept for concert

complex fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 14, 2012

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Just FYI, Brocade's Data Center Fabric Manager (generally abbreviated DCFM) is being phased out. FC and IP management are being converged under Network Advisor.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Sounds like bug 536445? I've heard of similar NVRAM battery issues.

Even though that bug does not show an available fix, there is one: flash battery firmware. See https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=2016592&actp=LIST_RECENT&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1327443096712

complex
Sep 16, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

I like Equallogic, but the recent firmware change that prevents LUN deletion without a support call for authorization is a bit too dumb.

This just sounds so ridiculous I can't believe it. Is this true?

complex
Sep 16, 2003

What an asshat. I actually follow Mr. Miller on Twitter, I think because he is from Buffalo, and frankly his idiocy doesn't seem to leak out there, probably because he would get called out on it.

Remind me to never visit the Spiceworks forums. Time to unfollow.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Can't you do all that physical redundancy with a single subnet?

Multiple subnets guard against someone, say, deleting the VLAN in the core. (I've seen it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

complex
Sep 16, 2003

madsushi posted:

I have a lot of VMware datastores that are sitting on NFS volumes on NetApp filers.

Sometimes, the snapshots from these datastores are reasonably sized, like 5-10GB per day. Sometimes, the snapshots from these datastores are unreasonably sized, like 90-100GB per day.

I am trying to find the best way to isolate the VMs that are causing the largest deltas. I have used the built-in VMware monitoring to looking for high write OPs VMs, but haven't found much correlation to snapshot size.

Are there any useful tools (on the VMware or the NetApp side) for monitoring individual VM writes? I just want to figure out which VMs are dumping SQL backups or running defrag and screwing up my replication windows. This is probably a good question for the VMware thread, but I love you all more.

e: and please don't suggest moving VMs around into temporary datastores, because I have a LOT of datastores to manage and since I have to wait 2 days between moving VMs to see if the snapshot size budged, it's really not feasible.

Enable Changed Block Tracking and look for the biggest .CTK files.