Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Good thread.

I've worked on two EMC's and have a little HDS experience. We currently sell StoreVaults (which have now been rolled up into Netapp and renamed the S Family) to clients.

The StoreVaults are really nice boxes for the price. For under $10k you get a 3TB chasis (capable of 12TB max) with 90% of the whizbang features of a FAS2020. Anyone under 200 employees should check them out. I'd be happy to answer questions on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

KS posted:

Performance is terrible. On servers with dual 2gig HBAs, sequential read performance maxes out between 70-120MB/sec.

You need to get some professional services people in there to troubleshoot. With that kind of hardware it's pretty clear you should have the budget to make that problem go away.

The cost in lost performance should easily force someone to write a check for an HP/Cisco guy to come out and pimp your rig.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I am wowed by the knowledge in here.

We don't have quite the budget some of you folks have but hoping someone has some recent experience with datacore.com

The search turned up a few hits but mostly just mentioning the product in passing. Anyone have real world experience they can relay?

We're looking at them vs the EMC VNXE line at about $25k.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

Bitch Stewie posted:

Is there a specific reason for looking at Datacore?

We need a storage option for the SMB space (50-500 employees) that doesn't break the bank. We'd be the reseller so a vendor's willingness to partner with us is important. It can be difficult to get someone at Netapp to call us back.

That aside, Datacore as a VSA is interesting. I understand it needs it's own storage but that storage can be a commodity Server. Once installed Datacore has failover, huge cache, async replication at price points that kill everyone else. Datacore is also very responsive to us.

I am trying to gather info from anyone who has experience with the product or who can recommend an alternative SMB sized vendor.

For reference I've worked on EMC, Netapp, DotHill and Hitachi SANs but it's been a long time and I'm no longer on the frontlines.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
This seemed like the best place to ask, apologies if there is a better subforum.

We are looking at backup options. VM level software like Veeam is great except that some clients still have physical servers. I know. WTF.

We've had good experience with StorageCraft. They have an MSP edition as well. However, for bigger clients I think that type of software starts to become unwieldy.

What are the entry level enterprise options we should consider? I need to narrow down my choices for research on backing up 10-50TB with reasonable budgets (two different clients). We're looking at EMC DataDomain to match a VNXE but everything I've heard is that DataDomain is really loving expensive.

Disk is strongly preferred. Offsite replication is a nice option, deduplication is not necessary but also nice to have.

Side note: how does anyone get that amount of data offsite without tapes?

Any guidance much appreciated!

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

Misogynist posted:

Can you give some real requirements?

Our needs are in between the SMB world and the Enterprise gear that seems to dominate this thread. 10 - 50TB range.

I am behind on my technology so yes, I did learn that DataDomain is just an appliance. It's a BYO Software solution. Hurts to admit I am no longer the alpha geek I used to be.

Every client would like a DR plan. It's our job to deliver the best results on limited budgets. Multiply that by different environments and a swiss army knife solution looks appealing. Hence my appeal to the hive mind.

I'll get back to researching but still open to suggestions to guide our hand. :)

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

Misogynist posted:

You already gave the size, and I'm no closer to understanding what you're trying to do. Are you looking for a big dumb brick of storage to roll your own solution onto? Are you looking for a backup solution? If so, are you looking for something with multi-tenant features baked in?

~7TB. ~4TB is standard file shares. Couple of SQL databases. Email is on Google Apps. Line of business apps are moving cloud too. Big push to consolidate datacenter on a single Virtual platform. Current state is a mix of physical and VMs.

Looking at (3) Dells with VMware Essentials Plus and a VNXE. Talked to EMC this morning and we're going to look at a DD160 and client can decide to keep BackupExec or EMC will give us a Networker license for really cheap. Avamar is out of budget. We'll have a second DD estimate for offsite replication. DR is phase 2, we've been focused on the VMware consolidation and storage piece. Client is currently taking tapes home so plenty of room for improvement given a budget.

Appreciate the feedback. This has been out of my wheelhouse a bit but it's all coming back together. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

FISHMANPET posted:

The grad student came back and literally said "I can buy a 2TB drive at Best Buy for $100 why is this so expensive"

:fuckoff:

Exact same discussion I had with a client last week. The client has a new member of management who tries to contribute to meetings but knows nothing about technology. He mostly just slows us down and causes more work/FUD.

He thinks he's clever when he points out things like this and all I want to say is "STFU, I've been doing this for 20 years and you sound like an idiot".

Sadly, the other management team doesn't always understand either so I'm stuck explaining why 20TB is 200x more expensive than a 2TB drive from Best Buy in a way people who can barely open their email will understand. :negative: