Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

AlternateAccount posted:

I wouldn't poo poo in a paper bag and trust Iron Mountain with it, honestly. Unless you need one company to handle a nationwide sized account, I'd advise avoiding them.

I have nothing to add other than to say that's a loving great analogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dell are pretty big OEMs. All the Avigilon stuff is Dell.

Edit: Whoops, just saw you'd tried that already.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 4, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

When you say 10-15 servers I'm assuming guests here? When I think SMB virtualization I find it hard to ignore VRTX, especially as smaller premises will benefit from the reduced noise levels of the box. I don't know if it would hit requirements for VDI but I also wouldn't be trying to do VDI in a 20k budget.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not the most experienced person ever when it comes to this stuff but it just seems strange to want to have a reference bundle presumably to reduce the admin overhead and then cheap out on arguably the most important component when these sorts of problems have already been solved.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not even sure you could hit $15k for hardware unless you went down the VSA path.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I really don't want to say Openfiler, but…

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you have literally any other option then rolling your own FreeNAS thing that ends up being mission critical is not the path you want to go down.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Anyone know roughly what the Dell Nexenta stuff comes in at?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Has anyone heard any reports or used the Fujitsu DX100 S3 units? We are looking for a bunch of slowish storage that's a bit better than a Synology. Pricing seems alright, I can't really think of anything in the same sort of area other than a FAS2220.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So now you need another office to keep all these spares in.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They are cheap, but they aren't SAN. The only way to get redundancy is to have two of them in an HA pair, and I haven't got enough experience with that to be able to say if it's reliable or not.

They are great for what they are, just make sure you appreciate what that is.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you look at the IBM v3700?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:fap:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dell's MD3 series can do that, I'm not sure if they have any of the tiering features that generally make SSD worth having.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I ended up with HP 2910-al switches for iSCSI and they were fine.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

adorai posted:

They are probably looking for a goony hacker that won't flinch at that poo poo.

"Oh wow a chance to run OpenFiler in production on some DL380s I got off eBay! Finally I can save someone else's money and it will only cost me some of my worthless time."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Think of fibre channel like connecting a hard drive's SATA cable to multiple PCs. Your first question should be "how do I stop people overwriting my stuff?". FC can only have a 1:1 relationship between LUNs and hosts, unless the host is cluster-aware, which it's unlikely a bunch of video editing machines will be.

You're looking for shared storage, or NAS. You can connect to this over 10Gbps fibre assuming the arrays can keep up, but that's not FC.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd prefer to add a tray of DAS to a server than rely on a Synology box - at least you can get ProSupport on it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A 6 Tb PS4100E can be had for a little over £4000 if that helps at all.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there a quick and dirty capacity calculator for Vsan to work out how much disk you need to be able to lose disks on hosts and entire hosts? I've always been under the impression that it wasn't worth doing on a small scale but I honestly never attempted to base that in factual evidence.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

bigmandan posted:

Anyone have some recommendations for networked backup storage? Does not have to be really fast, but needs to have 16TB+ and do CIFS, NFS and/or SFTP (NVSD, DDB or RDA are also an option) for use with vRanger. We're entertaining reusing some old servers and adding new controllers and disks, but I'd like to explore new options as well.

Dell DR4100 / something Data Domain? Not sure what your budget is.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you want to roll your own with loads of disk then a Dell R730xd with Windows Storage Server isn't a terrible option.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I trust tape a lot more in the ability to put it on a shelf and have it work a couple of years later, and also if it's being shipped off-site then I trust tape to travel better.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dell are the only ones I can name that don't need service contracts for firmware upgrades.

To add some content, I have a requirement for some cheap NAS but with decent support and dual controllers, and I'm looking at the Fujitsu stuff - specifically the DX100 S3. To give you an idea of where this is being positioned it's going up against Synology crap because I'm bored with a buggy OS and non-existent support.

Has anyone had any horrific experiences with these boxes, or know anything about them at all?

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 26, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Egnyte has quite a few customers but it gets really expensive once you put enough features on to make it workable in an AD environment.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Make sure you clearly (in writing) explain to the Egnyte reps what you want to do before you do it. I work for a company that is partnered with them and honestly the product is a moving target. The claims made on their website vs. the reality of the situation are worlds apart. I'm not sure how much stuff is covered by NDA so I'm treading carefully on this one.

Edit: What I can say since it's publicly accessible is read these pages:

http://egnyte.com/storage-and-sync/other-storage-systems.html and http://egnyte.com/file-access/local-storage-access.html

Build a picture in your mind of what you think the system behaves like. Now read the actual documentation for the product, in particular this paragraph:

https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/201639284-Storage-Sync-for-VMWare-Installation posted:

Restrictions
Storage Sync is built to integrate seamlessly with your VMware device; but there are a few restrictions that our integration does not support. The following are not supported:

Open LDAP integration (only Active Directory integration is supported)
Use of AFP to access share from on Mac OS (only CIFS/SMB is supported)
Synchronization of files from existing external shared folders (only files Egnyte/Storage Sync share will sync)
Note: Only files transferred to the Egnyte share using a mapped network drive (SMB/CIFS) will synchronize. All files transferred to the share through other methods (e.g. command line copy) will not be recognized by Storage Sync and will not be synced to the Cloud.

Tell me that is in any way apparent from reading the sales blurb.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 21, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

goobernoodles posted:

I'm going to have to read into that one a little more. If files copied to the share via robocopy or something along the lines of rsync won't be synchronized to the ~*~ cloud ~*~ then that definitely won't work for me.

It means that you have to host your file shares from their poorly documented virtual appliance - you can't point it at a DFS share and say "ok these shares need to be synced to ~*the cloud*~" which is a total deal breaker for any organisation that values having file shares running from Windows Server / NetApp shares / whatever.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've never understood 10Gbase-T - if it's going a short distance, use SFP+ direct attach because it's cheaper. If it's going further then you're going to have to replace whatever you have with Cat6a anyway so just put fibre in.

I guess it could make sense if you're doing shortish drops to video workstations and don't want to constantly break fibre terminations. Anyone else got a use case for it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

At least on the quotes we've done lately, Dell aren't able to get close to IBM V3700 pricing with their MD stuff. Like they are 30-40% more expensive.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tried that, EqualLogic was a good 30% again. Maybe Dell just doesn't want to have to go to the trouble of shipping anything?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just deploy the app on Azure RemoteApp.

Qnap and Synology stuff is great in your house or in a lab or as a backup target. It's only a matter of time until it bites you in the arse if you're putting VMs on top of it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Threw me the first time I saw it too. Makes a lot more sense when you notice that the switches are stacked.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wince is an accurate description.

For content, has anyone got any experience with AeroFS (https://www.aerofs.com/solutions/server-replacement/)? We're looking for a product that can ease the transition from "files go on a file share" to :yayclod: but without people having to adjust to everything being in a webpage or selective folders syncing locally as it's too much of a head gently caress for a lot of people. We've previously sold Egnyte but frankly the pricing gets insane quite quickly and the product is poo poo - the major selling point of the local file server that is a replica of the cloud stuff is a piss-poor Linux appliance with Samba running and can't proxy local storage until you get to the really expensive enterprise stuff.

The AeroFS product looks good and seems to be well polished, and we will probably evaluate it, but if it's going to be a huge waste of time it would be good to know early on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What's the market look like at the moment for entryish-level NAS with some resiliency built in, and perhaps a bit of auto-tiering? This is for situations where a SAN and then running file services on a VMware cluster is going to blow the budget.

Is it a couple of Dell/HP boxes running 2012R2 clustered storage spaces on top of some shared SAS enclosures? Or is NAS the sort of task where NetApp shines?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not to virtualise at all, it's just the next step up from a Synology appliance. I have reservations around Synology's HA (it takes minutes to fail over) and the support isn't what I'd get from Dell for example. I get scared with multiple TB on something like that for no real justifiable reason, it's a trust thing I guess.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The requirements are nowhere near set in stone, the price can go beyond Synology pricing but this is storage where vendors will list kit perfect for SMB or branch offices and it will start at $100,000 which is more than double what this project has allocated. I can sort of see it being a shootout between the VNXe3200 and the FAS25xx at this point but I need to nail down some requirements first.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

adorai posted:

lol at 37% growth yoy being disappointing.

wall_street.txt

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If the license is per-switch then presumably it won't work on a different switch, so posting them up should be OK. I don't see much need to post anything other than the output from the switch listing what it's licensed for though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Would something built around an Isilon X210 be complete overkill for ~30TB of general design agency style files (anything from Office documents up to 400GB ProRes stuff) accessed from primarily Mac clients? I'm looking for tiering so that cold data can stay online but on slower disk, snapshots for easy recovery of user gently caress-ups, and the ability to mirror to another box across town in the event of a fire/flood/whatever.

I'm a bit out of the loop on NAS really, would appreciate any opinions on it. For what it's worth I wouldn't see it hitting the issues mentioned up there ^ as there isn't that sort of usage happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah apologies I brought no information into that question, it's a favour for someone who gave me very little to go on.

Can you go into what you mean about tiering being dead? Are people just going all in on flash or have I misunderstood?