Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can definitely see the benefits in leaving SMB to Windows and DFS-N/DFS-R

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

When I was faced with the option to buy a product that I could install myself by following vendor documentation, and one that required the VAR to come onsite and install it for me, I didn't ever think "woah that one that I can't install myself must be so good that I can't handle it", I thought that picking that option would result in having to pay someone else to do everything for me for as long as the kit was installed.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How do they manage to make them so deep?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get a Synology NAS that rackmounts - there's really not much in the way of other options if you want to avoid getting into a situation where you have to buy disks at an inflated price from Dell or whoever.

Just make sure you get a box with a Xeon and chuck some extra RAM into it, Synology really seem to love to put anaemic hardware specs in their boxes and they run out of steam quite easily. I believe they have a promo on where you can test drive the FlashStation boxes as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You aren't going to get anywhere near the same level of support with Synology as you're getting with someone like Pure, and hitless controller upgrades etc. are definitely not going to be a part of the platform, but in exchange you spend a lot less cash. There are third parties offering their own helpdesk and onsite support services for the hardware, but you're not going to be able to take a case up to the development team to get an emergency hotfix created like you'd get if you had an issue with one of the big enterprise vendors.

The UC3200 isn't NAS though - it's just iSCSI. iSCSI SAN bundles from bigger vendors like HPE, NetApp's E series etc. can be had dirt cheap if your requirements align with what the vendor has decided to put in a bundle. If you want HA NAS from Synology then you need to wait for the SA3200D, which should fit quite nicely into a gap in the market.

I'd pick a Synology box running iSCSI over rolling something together with software, but it's not a particularly exciting proposition.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Seems like a good way to turn money into heat and noise

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd want more than 90 days as that time is going to disappear pretty quickly

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do they have any reference customers they can put you in touch with? If there's no other NetApp HCI users in your city/state that are running Hyper-V then it's probably also worth taking that into consideration in terms of how it affects being able to employ staff/contractors with the required skills.

Everything I can see points to NetApp's solution being a VMware one - the deployment guide makes no mention of Hyper-V at all, and the nodes come with vSphere installed on them already. I don't think some presales guy installing Windows Server into VMware counts as showing you Hyper-V working on their product.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 12, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's nothing in their own documentation about anything other than VMware

https://docs.netapp.com/hci/topic/com.netapp.doc.hci-ude-17P1/GUID-53A3D8A9-71FF-40A4-B236-8CCDB0E36A67.html

I wouldn't feel comfortable deploying it. Perhaps if the 90-day buyback comes with their own people on site deploying it for you and you raise some test cases to their support team during that time to see if they just get stuck at the first sign of something that isn't VMware running on it, but nothing I can see hints at this being a Hyper-V platform outside of the head of whoever wants to sell you it.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 12, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And in true IBM style, each port was licensed

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Storwize Unified will do NFS, but probably can't tick the 'quickly' box unless someone has demo kit ready to ship.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Which bit of EMEA are you in?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

evil_bunnY posted:

northern eu

the qnap/syno stuff fits the use case but it's an absolute taboo politically. These people are Serious Business.

It's country specific but Synology regional offices usually have a selection of enterprise kit in stock as part of their try and buy programme, here's the link if you're in France

https://event.synology.com/fr-fr/FR_Test_Buy/FR

Though if Synology has been ruled out it doesn't really matter.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ibm.txt

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've had no issues with Veeam, but I've not used it at scale, and the cost was never an issue. My backup needs are currently handled with Azure Backup which is dog slow but it's cheap and the VMs are already right there. I didn't want to have to get into a sales discussion with a vendor just to back up ~20 VMs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Internet Explorer posted:

Pure or Nimble. I'm not sure I'd waste time even looking at anything else these days.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SolusLunes posted:

I was gonna say, refusing self-service updates just sounds like a way to say screw you to the hobbyists when the kit leaves enterprise.

They'll still do that by paywalling the files you need

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

No idea if things have changed or if your budget accommodates it but I was looking around a couple years back and Qumulo said they're a six-figure price tag.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Silkworm was the best product name that ever could have been invented for an FC switch, and marked the high point of Brocade as a company

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Surely you mean :black101:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dell didn't want to talk to me unless I was spending over £200k but this was a few years ago. If you're in the US it might be worth getting IX Systems to quote you a TrueNAS system with their full support offering, even if it's just to sense check some pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's all grown up now, you can get cluster nodes with dual controllers and everything. Object storage for backups shouldn't need hitless upgrades though and you'll save a lot by being able to schedule maintenance windows when no backup jobs are running.