Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mierdaan posted:

That licensing should run you about $22k or so. It's a good jump up in functionality over Essentials though. We just did the same thing.

I must not be getting much of a discount then, because my licensing costs before tax are over 29K.

Getting quoted for

VMware vSphere Enterprise Acceleration Kit
( v. 5 ) - license - 6 processors

and

VMware Support and Subscription Production
Technical support - emergency phone consulting - 3 years - 24x7 - 30 min - for
VMware vSphere Enterprise Acceleration Kit ( v. 5 ) - 6 processors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

IT Vendor lied. Status: Shocked.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

evil_bunnY posted:

I still can't believe you don't have the original copy location. Or a day-old backup. Or *anything*

This is where I'm at. I can't believe anyone would do something like this without an easily restorable verified backup and a rollback plan. If I didn't feel bad for PTM, I would call troll post.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Thought we worked for either NetApp or a NetApp Var... Maybe that was someone else.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm really curious as to how big this Exchange environment is as well. We outsourced exchange though and it's been wonderful. It's someoneelse's problem now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

They have a phone number you can call?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That's not enough budget for big boy storage with support and warranty. You're going to be looking at the 35 to 40K range U.S. so 20 to 25K Pounds seems about right.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've priced both VNXe and Eqaullogic systems very similar to his requirements and both came in around 35K US

He's not getting close for the equivalent of 16K USD.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

He wants 6TB usable for VM (fast disk I'm assuming) and 6TB usable for files. I'm assuming 2 shelves and whatnot since you usually can't mix and match.

I got quotes for 9TB fast and 12TB 7.2K raw which isn't far from what he wants and I was around the 35K mark with 3 years support/warranty. Knock off some for fewer drives than my quotes, but it won't make that big of a difference.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

YF19pilot posted:

So tell me what a terrible decision I am making.

I'm currently looking at going to work for Dell Compellent as some flavor of support monkey. I do want this job, so I'm using this thread to bone up on Enterprise Storage, and yes, I've read the OP.

What is SA's OfficialTM opinion on Dell Compellent? How does (Automated) Tiered Storage work? What should I read up on to not sound like some idiot that just memorized a bunch of acronyms?

Dell Compellent is generally favorable reviewed here if it meets the needs for the situation it's being deployed in.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We're moving away from tape next year. Not completely, but we'll probably be going all DataDomains, then replicating back to HQ and the big DataDomain there, and spinning off monthlies to tape from there. Right now we have multiple sites all using tape and all using Iron Mountain. Media and service savings should make this at least break even not counting other savings.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We're using 8GB FC but that's because it's what the existing SAN guy knows and is comfortable with.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

What is this 'overtime' you speak of?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Amandyke posted:

That said you're a fool if you're paying list. 50% off is the defacto starting point for negotiations.

True. I can't discuss what we paid for our EMC systems, but there's lots of ways to make a deal before the end of a quarter, especially when you're unseating your primary competitor. We went from NetApp to EMC and the deal was insanely sweet. Marketing dollars, trade in credit, whatever. They'll get creative if you play hardball long enough.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You know that old car analogy where people say you can have "cheap, fast, reliable" pick 2?

Yeah, same thing here. Your budget is way to low for any real big name enterprise SAN provider to hit with any of their entry level stuff. You might be able to whitebox open source something together under 10K but I would never put my job on the line with it being reliable.

Honestly with support and maintenance costs included for 3 years you're probably looking at 25K to start.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 23, 2012

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

^^^^ With this guy. I would just spend enough to buy on site spares for everything and gently caress the maintenance fees. Vendors push that poo poo because its 85% pure profit. Working spares should be pretty cheap for kit that old.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Totally new to SAN stuff, but my boss has me sitting in on a EMC RecoverPoint info/training session. Seems pretty cool. They're working on getting the VM's to fail over to a different site. I'm totally out of my element here.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Looking for a good intro to SAN book. I know the absolute basics, but I guess I'm looking for more detail. I know what a LUN is, but what purpose does it have, why are they created. I know that iSCSI and Fibre Channel are connection protocols, but what makes them different and the advantages and disadvantages of each. Basically a good foundation book with some general best practices. It doesn't have to be vendor specific, but we're an EMC shop if it matters.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

This is beautiful. Thanks!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ninja Rope posted:

Anyone have any thought/horror stories about CleverSafe?

Never even heard of them until now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FISHMANPET posted:

We've got 6000 and growing user profiles, and the number and size has become too much to manage on a single server. We'd like to split them up onto multiple (virtual) servers and use DFS to create a single namespace. I was hoping that we could create a Profiles share on each server, and then use DFS to merge them into a single giant profiles share. Now that we've dug into it, I guess that's not really how DFS works.

So I'm wondering if there's some easy way to manage all of this that I'm just missing?

Is this a single site? My answer would be to some how split things up by site/department/job function, or something. Our larger call center has ~450 users at any given time and our profile server there is a loving beast. I can't imagine 6K profiles. Shoot me now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

DFS won't do what you want unfortunately. I'm not sure what will to be honest. A file share load balancer or something that can keep track of what user maps where... not sure if something like that exists.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I just got some quotes back on a VNXe3300 and either pricing is up over 25% in the last year or my VAR is being ridiculous. What competitor should I be beating them down with? LeftHand/P4xxx? I want NAS functionality on the filer, so EqualLogic is out. Compellent might be overkill. Straight NAS would be ok, I can do VMWare over NFS.

The problem is we're going to buy the EMC anyway since upper management decided all storage is to be EMC now, but I just need to 'play the game' a bit.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Moey posted:

What's the preference with nas storage vs something that is raw block based?

I've never worked in a huge environment but I would rather have raw block storage and throw a VM in front of whatever I need to present.

Not having to throw a VM in front of it to handle NFS/CIFS. If the filer can do it natively it saves me a VM to manage. I'm looking at 6 or 8 TB of bulk 7.2K NL-SAS for basically a big file dump for my engineers to move data around (in addition to about 1TB of fast for VM usage). If I can avoid throwing up a VM to present it to them, all the better in my book.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 23, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have a reseller that will do whatever you want him to. He'll send you 4 invoices for 450 each if you want to buy something for 1800 bucks. I've used him many times to get things past purchasing. Top of the line MacBook Pro becomes "Intel based Executive Laptop".

We used to have a 3K limit before VP approval became necessary. I once bought a top of the line laptop and he put 2800 on one PO, and then charged me 700 for a 'docking station' on another to scoot it by finance. I don't recommend putting your job on the line for this though. My name was no where on those purchase requests.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

adorai posted:

this poo poo is hosed up. I can literally spend up to $100k without anyone asking any questions that can't be answered in a three line email. I can spend $20k without filling out any paperwork. When a vendor requires a PO i use my initials and the date.

I would be happy with a 2K purchase limit. Everything I have to buy has to go through Oracle though, from a 35 dollar adapter from CDW to a new laptop from Dell. It has to go through the system and hit the correct budget. One of the engineering lab guys has an Amex card to purchase crap, but I wouldn't want the headache, he probably spends 4 hours on the paperwork every month. Purchases over 2K have to get asset tags and go through finance beforehand, blah blah blah. One of the downsides of corporate I guess.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

G3 HP servers will run Windows 2003 for sure, not sure about 2008. I still have a couple DL360 G3's hanging around in non production roles.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Come to find out my VNXe quote was basically list price...went to my normal VAR and he beat it by an absurd amount. Happy times are here again.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Our VNX5500's haven't been terrible, but our old NetApp units had less issues. One of our VNX5500's sent us erroneous emails about a fan being dead or something even though everything was fine. Updating the code fixed it. Support has been good so far, but our old NetApp 3020's were basically problem free.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Paging Scott Allan Miller to this thread. He'll know just the thing!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Confirm/Deny EMC Powerlink's website is terrible.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Look what finally showed up today after almost 3 weeks.

8x600GB 15K and 7x2TB 7.2K SAS

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Wicaeed, the budget is too low. Your not getting the SAN you need at that price point.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

NippleFloss posted:

Eh, he might with a smaller vendor who is eager to make sales. Tintri and Nimble come to mind as two vendors that have been very aggressive with pricing in an effort to establish some marketshare.

For some reason I thought he was putting 150 VM's on it, not 30 now that I reread it. Still I think 20TB raw with redundant 10G capable controllers is going to be really tough for 20K.

My VNXe cost more than that with less than half the space and no 10G networking.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

bull3964 posted:

things are very much in a state of transition right now

This is pretty much IT.txt all the time. There's always new poo poo in the pipeline and it's loving cool.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm thinking about turning dedupe on for a shared folder on my VNXe. The engineers are dumping builds there nightly, and once they move everything to the SAN there will be about 800GB of builds. Am I crazy for thinking we could probably see 60+% savings with dedupe turned on? I doubt the nightly builds of our software change that much at a block level. I could be wrong though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dammit your right. The VNXe does file level dedupe and compression. I have plenty of space so I'm not even going to worry about it

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Amandyke posted:

Not 100% accurate, here's a whitepaper that describes the dedupe and compression on the VNXe.

http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h10579-vnxe-deduplication.pdf

Yeah, I read that last night, but I don't think it does pure block level dedupe though. I need to learn more about dedupe in general.

So for the builds folder I was talking about earlier, every night when buildbot kicks off a job it builds a bunch of different builds of our software. Each one is slightly different depending on what customer might get the software. The core software is the same, the only difference in between the build for company A or company C might be a few lines of text and a logo for the UI maybe a driver or two. Then they create factory signed images and non signed images for dev/test. so basically the final product is a 25MB highly compressed .img file, there's about 30 different versions of it. The actual file produced is not compressible at all, these software images run in an embedded linux environment and they save every kb of space possible.

Is there a software program out there that can analyze two files and see how it would work?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I know some guys in SH/SC aren't EMC's biggest fan, but we're pretty happy with our VNX5500's and I like my VNXe3300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

NippleFloss posted:

As far as EMC, most of the recent love seems to be about the VNX2 boxes which I don't believe have made it into the wild. I think Skipdogg and maybe someone else in here has some VNXe stuff and can probably comment on that.

We're an EMC shop for the most part. I personally manage a VNXe 3300 in the small engineering office I work in, and we have 2 VNX5500's in production, one in each US data center. I know our UK site has an aging V7000 IBM system we'll probably be replacing next year with something EMC.

I wish to qualify my comments about the kit with the following statement: I am not a storage professional, I know the fundamentals and theories behind storage, but do not have the hands on years of experience other posters in this thread have.

My thoughts about the VNXe: I really like this little box. Software is super friendly to use, and it seems fast enough. I'm not throwing anything intense at it though. A few light VM's over iSCSI and some NFS and CIFS shares hosted directly from the filer. It seems really well built, and I really like how redundant it can be. I would highly recommend that if you fit the use case for a VNXe, to check them out. It really is a SMB SAN for dummies to be honest and the pricing is not bad at all. I was able to snag a VNXe with 2 extra ethernet I/O modules, 8x600GB 15K and 7 x 2TB 7.2K NL-SAS with all software licensing and upgraded 3 years support for a good bit under 30K. (don't want to get to specific with pricing).

caveat: Obviously my environment is pretty light duty, I don't know any of those 'gotchas' that only get found out once you've been in production for a while. I'm also not doing anything other than basic stuff with it. No dedupe, snapshots, data protection, replication, nada.

The VNX5500's in our larger sites. We replaced a 4 year old NetApp 30xx series with the VNX5500. We were at the point where we couldn't add any more disk shelves to the NetApp and the year 5 support was going to be astronomical.

I do not know why we didn't replace with another NetApp. I can postulate that some very aggressive courting from a Bay Area EMC VAR to some upper level IT folks took place (event tickets, golf, wine tastings have been rumored), as well as a lot of marketing dollars were spent and a generous trade in credit on the NetApp was given to make this deal happen. There may have also been some drama over the maintenance renewal costs and NetApp not budging on the price souring them on NetApp in general.

I don't have specifics on the VNX5500's but I do know they have 2TB of flash drives, a couple shelves of 15K and a couple shelves of 7.2K drives and the OTD price was in the neighboorhood of 250K or with all the licensing. I think we have ballpark 40TB usable on each one, I could be wrong though.

We haven't had any major issues with them. There was some kind of firmware bug that kept reporting a bad fan module or something that gave us some grief for a while, but EMC Support is pretty good, as it should be considering the price they command.

Enterprise hardware sales is a hilarious game to play. We upgraded 300 desktop computers in one of our call centers and I was throwing Acer and HP pricing against Dell and the price kept falling. I was going to buy the Dell's anyway but they didn't know what. Dell Kace found out about the opportunity and they came up with 15K in marketing dollars to take off the price of the purchase order if we bought one of their KACE 1000 appliances as well for like 10K. We did it, and the thing is still in the sealed box almost 2 years later. They only gave us 100 licenses and figured we would love it and buy the other 350 licenses we needed. They guessed wrong.

We're an HP server shop, always have been, always will be. (ProLiant 4 life!) Doesn't stop us from getting stupid aggressive quotes from Dell on servers and then beating HP down on pricing until they match or beat Dell. We're Dell for workstations and laptops, and they want our server business so bad it's ridiculous. We just used that method to get 6 fully loaded DL380's for under 75K. Dual 8 core w/ 384GB RAM. Insane.