Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Worth mentioning, is the config on the VNXe's. Those 7 2TB drives will become 6 drives in Raid 6 plus a hot spare for a total of appx 7.157TB usable. My 8 x 600GB 15K drives became 7 drives in Raid5 + hot spare for 2.8TB usable in the 'performance pool' So definitely make sure you're getting the USABLE space you need. I thought I would be getting closer to 9TB usable but the VNXe won't let me use that 7th 2TB drive. It want's it's raid 6 groups to be 4 + 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My friend and trusted VAR though has said EMC is even worse when it comes to year 4 and 5 support renewals on their gear. Everything is rosy the first 3 years, and like you said, sticker shock happens.

I just looked at our 5500 and we're got about 100TB usable, they've expanded it since I last looked. 8 shelves total with a mix of 3TB NLSAS and 600/900/SATA Flash. I'm sure it cost a fortune.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The VRTX chassis are new and I doubt there is any real world feedback about them. Good idea, but did Dell execute properly?

I may be in the minority these days, but VM Replication is great for DR purposes, but nothing lets me sleep better at night than good old fashion tapes snuggled away in an offsite location. Maybe I'm being old school when it comes to all the new fancy stuff. I just worry about the data important, not the entire VM.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dell doesn't tend to publish EOL/EOS dates but 5 years is usually the longest warranty you can get on enterprise kit. I find 4 years to be the sweet spot and I always size equipment based on projected needs going into year 3/month 36. So yeah you overpay a little at the beginning but its better than replacing kit after only 18 months.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

HP Storage to me is a disjointed mess. They snapped up a bunch of companies, but then didn't really do much with them after the fact. I've only used LeftHand and MSA stuff from HP.

The MSA's are just rebadged dothill arrays for the most part. They're OK at best if budget limits you to this line.

I'm pretty sure the P4xxx stuff formerly known as LeftHand is basically dead at this point. Unfamiliar with the current P4xxx line.

I don't see the EVA 4xxx listed on their website anymore so that's probably gone and I can't speak to 3PAR storage at all.

My personal opinion is there are better options out there for the money.

My personal generalized starting point recommendations in the storage market

Basic iSCSI - EqualLogic

More features iSCSI - EMC VNXe or Compellent

Higher End kit - EMC VNX or NetApp

The Dell MD's seem to get a lot of love, but I have an irrational dislike for them. Mostly because of the market that uses them though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm surprised they're still offering to support it if it is a 2007 model. Usually enterprise kit gets 3 years to start and you can add another 2 if you pay the price. After 5 years it's usually End Of Support time.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I paid roughly 30K for my VNXe, can a VNX 5200 really be had in a config that would work for him for 35K a piece/70K total?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

In my experience the 80% margin number is usually on the software side of things. Hardware is probably around 60% depending. I personally shoot for at least 50% off MSRP, but it doesn't always happen. Commodity servers I can't seem to get below around 40, maybe 45% off MSRP if I spend 6 figures.

A note about services, I've seen a huge push the last couple of years to increase 'services' revenue even if it means losing revenue on the hardware side of things. I purchased a quarter million worth of desktops from Dell a couple years ago. They took 20K off the price of the hardware if we also purchased a 10,000 dollar Dell Kace box with 100 licenses. They were hoping I would like it and they would make it up by me buying another 350 licenses for the Kace box. Didn't work though, it's still sealed in the box, I sometimes use it to hold the server room door open.

53% off list is pretty fair for not knowing exactly what you're buying. You can probably squeeze some more out of them if you offer fast payment, or wait until the quarter is about to end. If they're short on revenue targets they'll give poo poo away at the end of the quarter to make their bonus.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That's good info to have. I'm not familiar with the big boy toys to be honest. I know I got a decent deal on my VNXe and we've beat HP up really good on commodity servers. I wasn't involved with the purchase of our VNX 5500's though, but I heard it was 50%+ off list.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Internet Explorer posted:

Yes, but then you are giving money to Oracle.

Not to mention having to deal with Oracle. Nimble will probably be very responsive if you have issues. Oracle's bastard hardware division... probably a crap shoot.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm just cynical these days, all I see is media manufacturers slapping the work "Enterprise" on some BD-R's and selling them for 15 times the normal price of a BD-R because they're "Enterprise"

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Misogynist posted:

I checked Google Analytics on my blog for the first time in a few years; my post on recovering a deleted LUN on an IBM DS storage array has been receiving at least 100 hits a month for the past 3 years. Who are these people?

Semi-comedic answer: IBM Support reps because your blog post is more useful than their internal documentation.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

How important is this data?

How long is an acceptable window to restore the data in the event of a data loss?

How much money can you spend on this solution?

How much does the data change? ie. you have 40TB of data, is it static or do you create 1TB of new data a week?

Do you understand you are not google and what works for them doesn't work for other folks?

A: You are very hosed as I feel the answers coming are "this is mission critical life saving data and we can't afford to be without it and I have 5,000 dollars to spend".

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MC Cakes posted:

It's hard to quantify downtime or data value, because we're a small lab at a relatively small research institution. There's no opportunity cost to downtime like there are for retailers like Amazon, except for our few salaried employees. However, our lab does receive grants for making certain web services available, but I don't think there are downtime stipulations for those grants.

Hopefully the critical sites would have a downtime of >24 hours, but I think all the critical stuff might be less than a terabyte or two.

The rest is mostly archived research data, most of which hasn't been touched in three or four years; I don't think many people would care if it took a month to restore. I think it's mostly being kept in case a grant provider wants to audit past experiments.

Our budget is a quickly expiring grant with a remaining ~$50k for equipment, so it's neither trivial nor life-changing- But while cloud storage would be ideal, that would be a recurring cost not covered by the grant. My boss would much rather put together some beefy machines with that money but I'm terrified of what will happen in a 7.0 or greater earthquake.

I'd say we're currently generating data at a rate of maybe a terabyte or two a year. It could potentially be as high as 4TB a year, but I honestly think that's at least a year or two out (our institute recently bought some data-intensive equipment, but running experiments on it has very expensive material costs)

I personally would go Tape Backup. Get that archived research data backed up to LTO5 or LTO 6 tapes and put them in cold storage somewhere in case you ever need the data again. It's an inexpensive solution and would meet your needs.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'd lean towards the EMC exam.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CrazyLittle posted:

What, exactly, is the problem with commodity kit for low-performance bulk storage solutions? Is there any real advantage to buying NL-SAS when you're just going to double or triply duplicate the data across multiple disks and storage hosts?

(I mean, isn't that the whole point of projects like backblaze?)

I've come to learn as my career has progressed that Corporate IT is 75% covering your rear end. There's a reason the big SAN players can charge a big premium, the ability to cover my rear end if something goes wrong. I could go on and on, but yeah... CYA

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Hopefully someone can help me out here... storage is not my strong suit.

I have a NDMP backup of a folder from our old NetApp filer.. Taken in Jan 2012 We moved to EMC shortly after this backup was taken. The data is 5 years old (hasn't changed since 2009), but now needs to be restored for legal reasons.

It seems NDMP to different devices doesn't work. (NetApp NDMP backup restored to EMC is a no go). The backup software is BackupExec 12.5.

What's the best way to get this data restored? Maybe fire up a virtual netapp appliance? It's only 20GB of data or so.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

parid posted:

No idea if this would work...

NetApp has these VM simulators. Maybe get a demo for one, do your restore, then copy the data off?

This is the path I'm going to try, the simulators are a restricted download though, trying to work through that right now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

NippleFloss posted:

You need a registered support account (I do not know why, we really ought to make it freely available) to download the simulator. I can grab it and stick it on dropbox or something if you can't find another way to get it.

I registered on the support site and submitted a ticket for increased access (currently guest). I could probably find the Serial Numbers of our old NetApp 3020's if I had to.

I've been looking at using Solaris to do a ufsrestore as well, but that has it's own set of challenges.

We may even have to try to find a service to do this...

If you could hook me up... I'd be very grateful.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

They just upgraded my support level and I downloaded the files so no worries man. Thanks for your help.

NippleFloss posted:

If you have a solaris system that you can zone a drive from your library to then that's probably the easiest route. This article covers the necessary steps:

http://thiers.net/2011/06/09/use-ufsrestore-to-restore-multi-tape-ndmp-backup/

I'll grab a copy of the ONTAP vsim and upload it somewhere when I get home in a bit.

Thanks for this link, I didn't find this one via Google. My main problem is the only place I can spin up a Solaris box is on our VMware cluster, and I'm not sure if I can pass the tape drive through the physical host to the VM.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I wish netapp had more to offer over other vendors.

I mean great you do NFS well, but as more and more vendors adopt a L2ARC and spend time working with how the data is hangled. I still just look at netapp as "Yeah we do file storage".

I work with netapp weekly for a local college system. It's cool they gave us what they did but wow, this thing is like dull as all get out.

I'd honestly work on an MSA or MD...

You're crazy. I'll take top tier storage like NetApp or EMC over anything else all day erryday. I've never used a Dell MD, but I've used MSA's, Compellant, EqualLogic, and provided the money is around I'd pick EMC and NetApp in that order.

Dull as all get out to me equals 'works as intended'. I also tend to stick to vendors that are going to be around in years to come, some of the new poo poo seems neat, but I need guarantees that the company will still be around in 4 years to support our org.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

A good chunk of enterprise IT is covering your rear end. Yeah you can get some commodity hardware for way less money, but then it's your rear end on the line. You can't go to the C-Levels and the Board when poo poo goes wrong and say "We spent the money on the best system we could buy with the best support possible, and unfortunately there was a problem. We've engaged X,Y,Z resources and this is where we are at". You get to say you janked up a solution and now it's down. Covering your rear end costs money.

I don't know anything about your requirements, but if you want to look at another vendor you could try Hitachi Data Systems, they're supposedly really good at big implementations like this. I can't tell anyone in good conscious to look at an HP/3PAR solution with the clusterfuck that company is/is about to become.

For optimum rear end covering, bring in consultants for the project and let them design/implement the solution. Twice as many people to blame if poo poo goes wrong.

Yes, I just died a little inside typing this, but unfortunately that's how it is these days.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

theperminator posted:

We've lost faith in Dell and their Equallogic line, and we're thinking of switching over to something else.

What are the small-medium business options from HP Like?

HP Storage is a loving clusterfuck, much like the rest of the company. I love our EMC VNXe units for small/mid deployments. I would check them out if they meet your needs. We've standardized as a company on EMC storage though. The big project next year is to retire an IBM V7000 setup and move it over to a VNX at one of our data centers. The other 2 main data centers are already running VNX systems.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Captain Foo posted:

Anyone familiar with emc data domains as backup solutions?

We used them for a while for D2D 2 Tape. No real issues, compression was good. Expensive. We didn't keep using them though. Went back to LTO5 tape for a while, and now we use Evault appliances and cloud backup storage.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

froward posted:

Is there a good place to buy 2nd hand, refurbished & cast-off enterprise hardware? I'd like to start a small home lab for loving around with VMs & such.

What do companies do with last generation hardware when they upgrade? because I would like to have some.

Don't go down this road, simulate it the best you can on modern hardware. Old rear end enterprise kit is noisy as gently caress and sucks down a ton of electricity. There's a reason it's being sold so cheap.

If you truly want to replicate the experience, get yourself a 1000W space heater and a leaf blower. Turn them both on in the room you'll be using the stuff in. Same thing basically, but without the blinky lights.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We're an EMC shop and not happy about this potential EMC/Dell acquisition/merger news. Guess we'll have to go back to NetApp if Dell f's up EMC like I know they will.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I really like EMC's stuff right now and I'm terrified what Dell is going to do to it. Since Dell went private support has gone to poo poo, production times have gone up, and basically every interaction I have with them is worse.

We're not one of Dell's largest customers or anything, but we do over a million a year through them and everything has been worse the last couple years from the account team, to support, and so on.

Dell picked up EqualLogic and Compellant, have they done anything with either of those companies really? Dell's cheap MD stuff is a big hit in the SMB market, but I feel like they let their acquired storage companies just sort of atrophy.

We've got over 2 million worth of VNX deployed across our sites and man I'm going to be pissed if support and service goes downhill.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Lot's of changes at work the last 6 months or so, long story short storage has fallen on my shoulders.

We have a ton of CIFS shares on our EMC VNX systems that I need to migrate from one domain to another. We have various 3rd party tools that can handle the actual data, but the backend cifs server/datamover stuff I have no idea how to handle. Anyone done this before and can offer some tips? We have support, though support might say it's out of scope, consultant isn't out of the question but don't have $$$ budgeted for it so I'd have to make a good case why I can't figure it out myself.

The company that acquired us is all NetApp so the EMC gear is a bit foreign to them and they don't want to touch it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Anyone worked with HPE Primera yet? Pros? Cons? We got one for our lab, trying to figure out the future of our storage systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just curious is all.

Went through an acquisition a year and a half ago and we're trying to figure out what new platform to standardize on. Old company was NetApp for everything, had a couple EMC VNX's around from a prior acquisition as well so that's what I'm familiar with. Company that bought us has a mix of many different things. 3Par being one, I think there's a VPLEX somewhere, XtremeIO and some other things.

They just bought us a 3Par 8200 and a Primera 630 to play with in our lab. Might be getting a Dell Powerstore or Unity to compare as well. I've never used 3Par or any HP storage other than a base MSA unit. Really happy with NetApp but that's a no go for ~reasons~