Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
He's inspired me to me to build my next san entirely from FreeNAS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

NippleFloss posted:

Well, fast is all relative, but with block level change replication, deduplication, and compression you can get a lot of backup into relatively little pipe. Especially if your RPO isn't that aggressive.

On the subject of backing up virtual environments the option to go to tape is still there with NDMP, though this is pretty space inefficient. Some backup vendors can natively understand array level snapshots for certain vendors and back up only the changes, which makes for an excellent space efficient long term backup solution. Of course, in the case of NetApp that vendor is Syncsort and I'm not a fan of their product. Not sure what's out there for other vendors.

One option regarding backup of virtual environments is just to not do it. I don't mean stop backing up data entirely, but rather build out your applications in such a way that backup is not required for them, or that less backup is required. With Exchange 2010 you can do this with multiple DB copies, lag DBs and the recycle bin, provided you have enough storage, which is something we are investigating doing at my customer.

With SQL 2012 also moving towards a DAG model my guess is that Sharepoint will eventually allow for the same. I'm not incredibly familiar with Oracle but I wonder if it would be possible to leverage DataGuard and the Oracle recycle bin to minimize the amount of backup required.

If you can utilize application level features to get your backup requirement down to once a week or even once a month that's a pretty big deal. Even with modern SANs doing array level snapshots basically for free, the less time spent doing backups the better.

It can be confusing sometimes to sort this out. Like a lot of SMBs that grew very rapidly we are currently trying to wrap our head around a new backup and recovery paradigm. When I started at my current gig we had 3 guys and no centralized storage. Now we have doubled the size of our team and we find ourselves with a hodgepodge of storage including HP lefthand, dell powervault and even openfiler. We still do all our backups using what I call the oldschool method. We have nightly Backup Exec jobs that move through our systems and grab incrementals with full backups on the weekends then we spin weeklys and monthlys off to LTO tape. We played with Veeam for a while but found their support to be horrible and abandoned it pretty fast.

We are trying to figure out how exactly to move in to a new way of thinking about things. Options we have considered building a new Hyper-V cluster using 2012 to replicate VMs to other hyper-v hosts. We have also considered consolidating to a single vendor for storage like equallogic or netapp and taking advantage of snapshots and replication features for backup purposes, but since none of us have used kits like that before we are sort of at a loss as to exactly how it would work. Since 90 percent of our workloads are virtualized we keep going back to giving Veeam another shot and really building out the infrastructure for it correctly but then I see some of you guys mention not ever needing something like veeam and I wonder how exactly you are doing what you are doing. Anyways, on that subject if some of you didnt mind putting some input in on the way you are doing things I would appreciate it.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
People on the low end should always include dell in their discussions. Their powervault line is getting pretty darn good for cheap

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Moey posted:

If anyone cares about this, apparently the update did wipe out the admin login I created. Lousy HP.

I actually care, I have p4300 g2 I maintain. Did it delete your default admin account or just an account you created to do this update? Also, how did you fix it? Ive got the latest update staged and ready to install but would rather not if its gonna nuke some stuff.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I have a esxi 5.1 cluster with stores on a dell md3200i. I back up the VMs on this cluster with Veeam and I want to change over to using direct SAN backups. What I cant find is anywhere in the 3200i that I can assign the luns to the backup server as read only. It looks to me like I am going to have to add my backup server as a cluster member on the 3200i in order to give it access to the luns. I am paranoid about this. Is there any way a windows machine will try to mount or write to those luns if I just attach it to the iscsi initiator? Am I being overly paranoid?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Ah well I got it figured. If youre on Server 2008 R2 you just go to diskpart and set the san policy to offlineall. The disk will attach as offline read-only. Someone could still log in to the backup proxy and force the disk online but if youre careful about your access to your backup proxy I suppose it isn't an issue.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

skipdogg posted:

I just got some quotes back on a VNXe3300 and either pricing is up over 25% in the last year or my VAR is being ridiculous. What competitor should I be beating them down with? LeftHand/P4xxx? I want NAS functionality on the filer, so EqualLogic is out. Compellent might be overkill. Straight NAS would be ok, I can do VMWare over NFS.

The problem is we're going to buy the EMC anyway since upper management decided all storage is to be EMC now, but I just need to 'play the game' a bit.

Comedy option: synology populated with your own disks

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Goon Matchmaker posted:

I don't remember seeing a backups thread so I'll ask here. What's the best way to replicate/copy a backup repository (Veeam) to an offsite location? Right now we're looking at a contrived scheme of converting our iscsi backup lun into an NFS lun and using rsync to move the files offsite, which I think is just pure lunacy. There's been rumblings of "data domain" but the budget for this particular project is $0. We're trying to move ~250GB of weekly backups over a 100Mb line shared with some other stuff.

Why not just target a backup job to your remote repository?.... e: f;b

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
You can replicate VMs just not repositories

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Erwin posted:

You can have more than one backup job per VM. Backup locally, also backup offsite.

I do exactly this. One job backups up VMs every 4 hours. Another grabs them over night to the offsite repository

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Looks like we're going to wait for veeam 7. It does wan acceleration and will apparently do what we need. I'm going to confirm with a sales engineer tomorrow.

Veeam NOW will do what you need. Once the initial backup repository is seeded all you are going to transfer is changed blocks.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Has anyone here ever added a shelf to a Dell MD3200i? The official documentation says you have to shut down the system to do it but I've seen anecdotal evidence that this just isn't the case. Wanted to know if someone has actually ever done it.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

I did some time ago to a 3000i and I wouldn't think of doing it online.

Risk of corruption too high in your eyes or is there something else more sinister?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
You can get tons of stuff for 30k. If you want to stay low end why not look at a Dell powervault with SSD cache. You could fit that in 30k

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Powervault kits are great. You can add shelves any time you need up to like 192 total drives or something like that. You can't go wrong with them for small deployments

EDIT: I just reread some of your environment. I run a 425 user mail system, along with about 30 more guests on a Dell MD3200i using near line SAS drives. Granted my environment is pretty low IOPs but still. Definately look at solutions from Equallogic, Netapp, etc but dont count out the powervaults cause someone told you they suck. They absolutely are fine for smallish environments

Syano fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 18, 2013

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Wicaeed posted:

Do you really need multiple VLANs for MPIO?

You should if you want to protect yourself from switch misconfiguration

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Ive recently been given management of a powervault MD3200i that was under another groups control. Its populated with 7.2k rpm drives and the entire thing is set as a RAID 6 array with 2 hot spares. Performance on the thing is understandably not so good due to the highly random nature of the workload. I would like to convert it to raid 10. Ive checked, and I have enough space. Ive also read the documentation and the array supports this. I have done everything in the world to powervault arrays (even hot added a shelf like I posted about recently) but I have never changed a raid level with live data on the array. Has anyone ever done this? How long is a rebuild going to take? Is the risk factor high here and should I just forget it?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Agrikk posted:

I've gone the other way on a PowerVault (Raid 10 to Raid 6), but never this way.

How long did it take the array to rebuild when you did that?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
What do you guys see being used most in the SMB space for backup storage? Are people storing their backups on the same SAN as their production data? Or do you see folks adding secondary storage or maybe even local storage for backups?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I was thinking an environment with more like 500 users and about 30 servers with all the usual culprits like exchange and sql. Its a partner who is asking me for some advice and to be quite honest Ive never really thought it out.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I am putting together some scratch storage that will be used for... well stuff we dont want to load on to our main production storage. I am using some parts from some old servers and I want to be able to present some NFS shares to the network so I can access from client machines but also esxi hosts. Whats the OS du jour for this sort of thing? FreeNas? Nas4free? Something else I havent seen yet?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Caged posted:

I've been reading a bit into Scale-Out File Servers and it's almost impossible to read anything about Hyper-V that Microsoft have produced without also coming across it. What I'm really struggling to work out is what the point of it is? It seems to be pitched at the lower end of the market as a less expensive SAN alternative, but needs two servers to act as the redundant hosts, a dual-ported JBOD shelf, RAID controllers that can understand what's going on etc.

I'm really failing to see how it's a better proposition than just buying a low-end SAN seeing as the people making hardware for it aren't particularly big and there's still an element of 'building it yourself' and all the support issues that go along with that.

Is anyone using them / used them in the past and can explain why it exists?

I had sort of the same mental break you did a couple years ago when reading about the tech. To be flat honest, a scale out solution doesn't make a whole lot of sense, to me at least, when you can beat it on price with a VNXe or an MD3200i and take up less rack space to boot.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
What can everyone tell me about EMC Vmax? I had a recruiter call me this morning asking about a :yotj: I am working on. They asked me if I had any experience with EMC Vmax. I figure I better bone up on it real fast in case an interview ever happens. I am absorbing all I can online at the moment but figured I'd ask here as well.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

bigmandan posted:

So I've had a few meetings with Dell, Nimble and VMware (still waiting on NetApp to get back to us). And some of my colleagues like the idea of VMware vSAN. Based on our workload I think this is a bad idea, but they don't seem to think so. Also from what I understand management and scaling out/up vSAN is a pain in the rear end . How can I convince them that vSAN is a bad idea? I'm having a hard time articulating why.

It's really not a bad idea by default. As with everything we would need to know your use case... and raid controllers (pray they aren't perc 310)

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
What is the smartest away to trend and forecast thin pool use in a VMAX? We are dumping some basic data from symcfg to a spreadsheet but our projections would be much more accurate if we could somehow correlate that growth to the actual client usage. I feel sort of confident we are circling the drain and will get it soon enough but thought there may be enough of you that have done something similar that could offer some suggestions.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I have for my entire career used nothing but Clariion storage from EMC but I accepted a position earlier this year with an organization that uses a VMAX 40k. I have a couple folks in the storage group who know the VMAX well and they help out and explain things when they can but the architecture is different enough so that there is still a ton for me to learn. I would love to do some self study on these things and start flexing a bit but its like the training material on VMAX is non-existent, save for EMC authorized couses which cost a month's salary. Does anyone know of any other material I may be able to get my hands on?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I came from medium business and exclusive used iSCSI for my entire career until about a year ago when I got a job on a storage team for an organization that uses enterprise stuff like VMAX and exclusively FC. My perspective on the differences: If you don't factor in cost, FC is better at what is does in every conceivable way. Everything Nipplefloss said plus more. Its just so dang easy and inherently fast that again, if you don't factor cost, why would I ever go back to IP storage? Multipathing? Yep it just works, no special configurations. Failed link convergance? Yeah 99.999% of applications will never even know its so seamless. Attaching new storage? Make sure your zones are built correct and it just inherently works. No CHAP or isci initiator logins or other mess like that. And we could go on. The things that IP and FC can do are almost identical but the way FC does those things are orders of magnitude better in every way. Again, all of this is not considering $$$

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
You need to know how zoning is configured on your switches. You are most likely using soft zoning (cause no one uses hard/port zoning.. but be sure). With soft zoning, you are going to build a zone on your switch which will be a "container" that matches WWNs on the SAN ports to the WWNs on your VM hosts. Anyways, as long as your zones contain the WWNs for the ports you want to connect, the FC protocol will take care of everything else.... including multipathing/login/etc

EDIT: Also look to see if you have an ISL link between your switches

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

1000101 posted:

I hate to be a pedantic dickface but hard zoning/soft zoning really refers to how zoning gets enforced (is it just via FCNS or actually making sure the ASIC doesn't forward the traffic. Even when you do WWNN/alias based zoning it's still enforced on hardware on brocade and MDS switches (and probably QLogic and other OEM brands as well.) People often mistake hard zoning for port based zoning (which I agree do not do!.)

That's the end of my pedantry!

edit 2: here's an article that explains for me! http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/tip/Zoning-part-2-Hard-zoning-vs-soft-zoning

Oh gosh he gets the idea you pedant! Thanks for clarifying though :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Strife posted:

So, maybe a stupid question, maybe not, but should I have each host hba be in a zone with both 3PAR controllers, or should I make a separate zone for each host to each controller? Either way the host sees twice as many paths back to the storage as it did earlier.

We do per hba zoning.... On every switch 1 zone per hba per host and then add one port per controller to that zone. Then its just like old school point to point which FC loves except with full multipath features

Edit: unless its our vmax fabric in which zoning is built to match the port group configuration

Syano fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 8, 2015