Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Do you know what would be awesome? A good, clear MS iSCSI Initatior MPIO configuration guide for setting up both HA and path aggregation. I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't understand how to clearly establish MPIO between multipule ports between A W2k8 box and a iSCSI SAN like Openfiler. It seems like MS will only want to use only one NIC regardless of how many are installed (in my case, the iSCSI lan is connected to a intel 1000 PL PCIe dual port NIC.

R-Type fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 30, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

H110Hawk posted:

Pretty much a vanilla fileserver, then? Those are some real cost savers. We're using them at work now over netapp for a lot of things. Nothing wrong with them, so long as you don't go overboard on the cheap factor. I would suggest picking up some Hitachi or Seagate 5-year warranty disks and rebuilding from scratch. This can save you a lot of money over Netapp/HDS/EMC, and likely give you as much reliability as you need.

I don't know about recent years, but around 8-10 years ago my uncle worked for a company that assembled and sold raid systems, I forget the name. He managed the disk burn-in and certification for their units. He told me never ever to buy Fujitsu disks. They apparently hit 50% failure in about half the time as all other major brands. We got a batch of brand new Fujitsu-label 15k disks, and they still seem to fail about twice as often as the Seagate equivalents. I don't have hard numbers, though, so I don't know if it's just the bad taste left in my mouth by my creepy uncle, or if they really do still suck.

I have a pile, nay, a brickpile of Fujitsu's in our storage room. Literally a small wooden skid with a piece of cardboard on it, drives in ASB's, another piece of cardboard, more drives in ASB's, so on, layered. This is our RMA pile that goes back to a major SAN/NAS manufacturer in a few weeks. We have a NDA on failures since we are a VAR - I'm sorry I can't disclose the name directly...

Listening to echos, Mike came closer to the ledge.