Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
The supposedly new TiVo UI: http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/09/29/potential-new-tivo-user-interface-shown-on-video/

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I really like the current one, but I could see how they could think it could use an update. Might want to watch fast, they're starting to get pulled down as TiVo finds them around the web.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

qirex posted:

Having Used my HD Tivo now I'd say the UI REALLY needs an update.

Does anyone know if it's possible to "migrate" my season pass and thumbs up/down info to my new box? It would be kind of a drag to set all that up again.

I've been using TiVo for eight years. Change frightens and confuses me.

No way to migrate season passes and such. Yes, it sucks; I don't see how hard it would be to set up TiVo Desktop to import/export an XML file with that information, but I'm just one guy.

brc64 posted:

I'm a little confused on this. If you want to be able to utilize two channels at once, you need either 2 single-stream cards or one multi-stream card? Does the Tivo have two card slots, then, or if your cable company doesn't have multi-stream cards (no idea how common this is), are you out of luck?

TiVo HD/S3s have two slots, so you're set either way.

quote:

This is the main thing keeping me away from Tivo right now. When they solve this problem, are they just going to release some kind of crazy little adapter, or are you going to have to get a whole new unit? Or have they said, yet?

Rumor is there will be a USB dongle that you can attach to your system. I don't think it's materialized yet, though.

quote:

Wait, so if the Series 3 is HD, what is the regular HD? Do they both offer dual channel recording? Other than the size of the harddrive, what differences exist between the two?

TiVo Series 3 came out first, and included an OLED screen that showed what was recording/a clock, THX certification, and a "premium" remote (piano black instead of the plastic). The price point was also way higher. TiVoHD came after that. A chart of features is nyah: http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/10/23/tivo-hd-vs-series3/

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

qirex posted:

Finally! Check out the news on the HD service in bold too
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10078711-93.html

I was a beta tester for Unbox and I keep waiting for my email to come in and it hasn't. :(

Between this and not getting into the NXE beta, I'm never going to have Netflix on my magic boxes near my TV.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

SpacedOut posted:

This is fantastic! I was just about to buy that Roku Netflix thing, too. Now if I could just get in on the Mac "Watch Instantly" beta testing, I'd be set!

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2008/11/how-to-get-the.html ?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

metachronos posted:

Does the Tivo have a program guide similar to the one used on most cableco DVRs? I couldn't find any pics of it online.

There's two options; the TiVo grid, which is the best thing on Earth, and your regular "six channels, three hours each" version. You can switch between them as you see fit. The TiVo one is way better, though.

TiVo finally has a mobile site! http://m.tivo.com is super-fast and works and loving FINALLY.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 25, 2008

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

complex posted:

Holy. Crap. Awesome.

Edit: You can't manage your current shows or passes, but you can add new shows pretty easily. Sweet. Works well on my G1.

Yeah, I'm waiting for web access to completely control the TiVo, instead of just viewing stuff ([url]https://[/url]<tivo IP address>, login: tivo password: your Media Access Key). Seems like a no-brainer to allow it, but I guess they want to have SOME control for whatever reason.

smackfu posted:

I've had a Tivo forever, and I sure do like my Series 2 DT. But all the web stuff is so slow and kind of half-assed. Like there is lots of lag, and the backgrounds look like crap. Does it work better on the HD models?

Eh, a little, not much, though. Amazon is better than the rest, for whatever reason.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 27, 2008

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2008-12/netflix-arrives-on-tivo-today/

quote:

Hot on the heels of a system software update, and as promised, TiVo Series 3, HD, and HD XL subscribers who also partake in an unlimited Netflix plan will be able to stream a wide variety of video content at no additional cost

:neckbeard:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

drchipotle posted:

Does anyone here have experience upgrading the Series 2 harddrive themselves? I was going to try this, but wanted to know what i'm getting into.

I've done it three times, not for a few years, though. If you can swap a hard drive and follow written instructions, you'll be fine.

http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/index9.html is what I followed way back in the day.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

kri kri posted:

I set this up today, its great.

http://lifehacker.com/5048824/decrypt-and-remove-commercials-from-tivo-recordings-in-one-step

I set it up so my tivo upstairs records my poo poo, and then kmttg does everything for me including encoding the file with a PS3 profile.

I'd love to set something up like that, but the only show I'd do it with (my wife has about four years worth of ER to watch :gonk: ) does a LOT of false positives with commercial skipping. Hopefully it doesn't screw yours up. :3:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

KickStand posted:

Season pass scheduling usually take about 5 seconds or so with my TivoHD but I dunno if thats typical or just mine, ive also had no problems with my Tivo timing out or stalling.

Takes a while longer on my S3, but I have 60-some season passes, so I assume it's just checking against them all for scheduling. No hangups or anything, but it takes closer to 20-30 seconds sometimes.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Straithate posted:

I decided to pick up an HD after having a million problems with my Scientific Atlanta piece of poo poo that Time Warner gives out. The only problem is the fact that I do watch a lot of VOD content, which can be partially supplemented with Amazon VOD, but I don't know if I can give up HBO/Cini ect VOD so easily...

Is it really in my best interest to get two CableCARDS and a SDV converter and have a set-top box backup for when I need to use TW VOD? Or would it be easier to route a TW box into the TiVo and get my poo poo that way? Probably use a serial cord to change the channels on both, or some funky setup with my Harmony?

Or... is there any easy way (without changing inputs) to have a TW box connected at all times, run CableCARDS on the TiVo and just use that remote to pick VOD content when needed?

With the TiVo HD, you only need one M-Card; most cablecos don't even have S-Cards any more, as far as I hear.

Also, there's no serial port on the back of the TiVo HD - the only two options for connection are CableCARDs (if you want digital cable), and RCA (for antennas/non-digital cable); no room for a cablebox. If you want to have a VOD solution, you're going to have to nut up to changing inputs and keeping a TW box around/hooked up.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Straithate posted:

They have the tru2way cards, but I read that TiVo doesn't support the technology yet - correct?

Correct, I'd assume it'll be in S4.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Is Tivo ever going to update their hardware? I would really like to get one, but I'm completely unsatisfied with the storage options that are given. 160gb is too little for a base model in 2009 and a $300 price premium to step up to 1gb is insane. The only other options are to void the warranty and install my own drives or spend another $150 to put an external SATA drive on the thing.

Hardware refreshes seem like they run about every three years; I'd be surprised if S4 didn't hit next year. That said, installing a new drive is dead easy with WinMFS, warranty issues be damned.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

When I switch my TV to the Tivo input, I get a bright green screen and a horribly loud buzzing sound that I take to mean that the HDMI handshake failed. Is this the sort of thing that can be fixed by a reboot, or do I start worrying?

(I haven't rebooted it yet because it's in the middle of taping something.)

Only one way to find out - rebooting's always fixed the random problem with video output.

I've been getting a lot of two second A/V freezes lately; safe to say that the drive is starting to take a bath?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Finally took the dive and upgraded my S3's hard drive. WinMFS...my goodness, how far we have come from InstantCake. Easiest upgrade I've ever dealt with. Highest recommendation, especially for how much a HDXL/MyBook cost.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Used: http://www.mfslive.org/winmfs/ - you have to register in the forums to download the files.

Drive: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-AV-GP-Drive-WD10EVDS/dp/B002P3KO74/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259430771&sr=1-1 - anything over 1.5TB has issues, so this is the one they recommend.

I followed http://www.mfslive.org/winmfs/quickstart.htm pretty well to the letter -- hooked up the two drives, ran WinMFS, File->Select Source Drive, chose my source drive (three listed - my original 250GB, my upgrade 1TB, my keydrive). Went to Tools->mfscopy, selected my source from the dropdown (it was already selected, but I had to select it from the dropdown to get it to list), selected the destination drive, hit start, went to work, came home, hit the "Yes, expand drive button", rehooked everything, powered up the TiVo, and took a picture:

Click here for the full 1021x576 image.

Crazy, crazy easy.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 2, 2009

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Golbez posted:

It seems to crash more often when starting or stopping a recording, or doing anything pertaining to the menu. The hard drive tests check out; could this be a weird software issue? Is it possible to initialize the system without losing my recordings? I'll do it if I have to, if anyone thinks that would work. I guess the question is, is it possible to make the TiVo redownload its system?

I don't think so; there used to be CDs called InstantCake that did Series 1, but that was way way way back in the day.

In awesome news!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/30/tivo-planning-a-new-premiere-dvr/

oh, please please give me the a new UI :ohdear:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

KaLogain posted:

How long does it take for a TiVo with a CableCard to get your new channels and stuff like that.

It should be immediate. If it isn't, it hasn't been synchronized with the cable company properly.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2010-02/tivo-schedules-nyc-event-for-march-2nd/

Welp, guess I better get my money + early adopter tax + lifetime transfer fee ready.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

Whenever I try to tune into Comedy Central HD on Time Warner in New York (channel 745), the tivo instantly crashes and has to be rebooted. Is this just TWC bungling something spectacularly, or is my device starting to die?

Sounds like a bug: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=418924&page=18

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Looks like some inventory info has been leaked at Best Buy about some new hardware.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/25/tivo-premiere-xl-dvrs-show-up-in-best-buy-systems-for-299-49/

From the hours of recording, we can assume the XL is the same 1TB drive and the normal is up to 320gb. I really hope there's more to next week's announcement because that's very yawn inducing. Also, while 320gb is better than 160gb for the base, I still think that's way too little starting storage.

There's also this: http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/11/new-ui-tweaked-hardware-in-store-for-tivos-march-reveal/ , so I'd be surprised if there wasn't a new UI. Unless the rest of the hardware is a huge and necessary jump, though, I don't see why I wouldn't stick with my S3.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Announcement Day!

I want to believe. :unsmith:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Disappointed in no DLNA stuff (at launch), but I love the new UI. I don't have any particular need for extenders or anything, either, so, I don't know. Torn, to be sure. I'm guessing they'll do Lifetime transfers for a window like they did with S2->S3, so I guess it depends on what I can get for my S3+1TB on eBay.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Looking at the offers TiVo has on their site, they're not doing Lifetime transfers, they're just giving $200 off a fresh one, which is vastly preferable considering I can probably flip my S3+1TB for about what a Premiere+$200 Lifetime would cost.

I've been looking at Moxi since it's been mentioned here, and maybe it's the fresh eyes on it, but wow, that UI looks and reads terribly; I can't imagine my kids/mother trying to work their way through that. Three-tuner system looks sweet as hell, but the other stuff (DLNA, extenders) I either have other solutions for, or I don't have need for right now, and certainly aren't worth losing the ~~~**TiVo Experience**~~~.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

You better be sure that the new Premieres allow as easy of a hard drive upgrade as the old ones. Otherwise it would suck to sell off your 1TB S3 for a 320gb model.

With eSATA, I'm not overly concerned about it, but that is definitely something I'm trying to find an answer for. I can't imagine it won't be, but hey, stranger things have happened.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
The way I see it, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't on tru2way. If they put it in, at the rate of adoption the market has shown with that (let alone CableCARD), they'd be laughed at for chasing a dead market. If they don't, TiVo, come on, why don't you have tru2way, everything is On Demand now!

I don't see why something in TiVo OS couldn't hook into TV Everywhere initiatives, if they ended up going that way. That was what I was banking on with the Comcast On Demand in the Photoshopped UI, but oh well!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Golbez posted:

Stop depressing me you guys, I want a Series 4. :(

Oh, you can get one; whether TiVo will be around in a year to pay your fees to, completely different!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Woot has refurbed S3s up for $170 today, so if you're on an S2 or lurking with nothing and don't think the Premiere is all that, this is an option.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Golbez posted:

Didn't one of the Series 3 versions have a display on the front that has the names of the shows being recorded? I haven't seen that mentioned for the Series 4, and I know it doesn't exist on the HD...

There's only one form of the Series 3, and that's it. It also has a clock!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Golbez posted:

Why did they take that away? :( I'd love that. The clock alone would be useful.

:tenbux:. Premium product and all.

TiVo needs to get on the ball and answer my questions about whether the $200 discount on lifetimes will apply past preorders and whether the HDD will be user-swappable.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Engadget has their review of the Premiere up. Apparently, it's even more disappointing in person.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/24/tivo-premiere-review/

I felt my heart break reading that. I love them so much, why do they want to hurt me. :(

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

chemosh6969 posted:

edit: They do say there's a solution for the lag coming in the articl

Which is all well and good, but why isn't it enabled *now*? I mean, come on. Don't design a multicore-reliant OS, then ship with only one core enabled. That's just dumb.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Golbez posted:

My TiVo subscription expired 4 days ago; the guy said it will work for one more day, I think. After that, what limitations happen to the device? I know it won't update listings and probably won't automatically record programs anymore, but what else will happen? Will I be able to manually record programs that are on the listing that was there before it died? Or will I have to say "record this channel between these times", or will that even work? Will it be confined solely to controlling the last 30 minutes of live TV?

Odds are I'll be able to pay it tomorrow but I want to know what to expect if I can't.

You won't be able to download new listings, but your old listings will stay. So, you've probably got about a week's worth of listings. Those you can record as normal. After that, you'll be setting with "Record between X and Y on channel Z."

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Is it possible that it wasn't named Mythbusters on the guide? Could it have been Mythbusters: Subtitle? or something? Or perhaps the metadata was just hosed, labeling it as a rerun or such.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

If you really want to see every episode of CSI: Des Moines, on every channel, you'd probably have to create a Wish List, based on the show's title. That will record every show with "Des Moines" in the title (for example), on every channel - including the late-night weekend airing on the local Fox affiliate, and the five episodes a day in the afternoon on Spike. The history still only goes back about two weeks, so after a while you'll start getting episodes you've seen before.

Isn't the history thirty days? That's what I'd always heard it was.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Haggins posted:

I haven't had a TV in the last 3 years and haven't had a TiVo in the last 5, but I'm thinking about getting a new HDTV and a series 3 soon.

I see they now have subsidized models that cost $20 a month. I'd rather not do that and pay either the $13 a month or a year in advance for cheaper. Can I do that with the Premiere XL sold on Amazon or is that the $20 p/m 2 year contract one?

99% sure that those'd be the $13/mo. ones. Pretty sure only the non-XL ones are the $20/mo. ones.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Looks like TiVo might announce extenders and a quad-tuner box this week: http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2011-06/tivo-premiere-q-preview-announced-sort-of/

The former is all well and good, but I've never felt the quad-tuner was really worth it. Also enable the second processor and fix the HDUI etc. etc.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Tivo Premiere Elite Q Hyper Fighting announced: http://thisismynext.com/2011/09/07/quad-tuner-tivo-premier-elite-dvr-thx-certified-2tquad-tuner-dvr-2tb-recording-space/

I'd hope this would come with a software update that fixes some of the problems (season pass creation taking forever, HDUI being sloooow), but I'm not holding my breath. Also waiting to see if they'll allow Lifetime transfers for cheaper.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Dogen posted:

It's a good deal if you think you are going to keep it long enough that it'll pay for itself. They usually offer some kind of deal when a new model comes out allowing you to transfer it for a decent amount.

Did they when the Premiere came out? I thought they were going to, and then they didn't, and that's most of why I didn't upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Well, since I'm feeling pretty faithful that there's not going to be another TiVo for a while, I'm thinking about finally jumping from my S3 to a Premiere.

My big sticking point is, no KidZone, or, at least, not without switching off the HD menus, which, well, why bother upgrading if I'm not going to get the full experience? Are the tablet/phone apps *that* compelling? The extenders in the future aren't up my alley (only the one TV in the house), no HD menus, I can get all of the extensions (Amazon, Netflix, etc.) on different consoles. I've had a TB drive for 140 hours as long as I can remember, so I don't need more space.

Am I missing something?

• Locked thread