Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

ultrachrist posted:

Starting Yakuza 2 soon if anyone has anything to add
It won't help or hinder your game but every time you get a new weapon try to unlock that weapon Heat move. Some are very brutal/satisfying (I love the pliers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Rirse posted:

Beyond Good and Evil
-If you try to do a dive while holding the crouch button, you do a roll instead. It helps when sneaking behind a low barrier
-Don't worry too much about getting all the animal pictures, though early on you get a zoom after the first roll of film. You can pad your numbers a bit by taking pictures of the furries, humans, pig-men, shark-men, etc. are different species.
-When in doubt, use the disc launcher (after you get it). It's also handy as a distraction, either by hitting a wall near an enemy or hitting their gas tank.

yook fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 13, 2008

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Arcsech posted:

Requesting Fable: The Lost Chapters. Awesome thread, by the way, this is really helpful for a lot of games.

A trick to get a lot of strength XP relatively early in the game (which is important for defense as well as offense): max out your attractiveness so that you can get married and then when you are alone with your wife in your house, start beating the poo poo out of her. Position yourself so that she's trapped up against the wall or a piece of furniture or something so she can't get away and just repeatedly hit the attack button. This will drive your combat multiplier way up. You can do this forever without killing her but once you stop she will divorce you so you have to do it all at once rather than dole out a bunch of little beatings. Sometimes a guard will catch you but it's unusual and you can just teleport out of there before you have to pay a fine.

Man, I love that game.

1Van
Jul 9, 2007

Easty posted:

This thread is great.

Any other tips for COD4 online? I keep getting slaughtered :(

COD 4 Online
Loadouts
*Pick a gun and stick with it till you can start running around confidently on most maps (A good starting gun is the M4, though the M16 is a better gun, it can be hard to control the 3 round burst at close range)
*Perks, usually I stick with stopping power for red, steady aim or extreme conditioning (depending on the gun) for green, and bandoleer or extra frags/special grenades for blue (I view using 3 frags as bs in cod 4 since the maps are so small but it is a very good perk).

Actual Play
*NEVER run around corners if there is no team mate around the corner...EVER, always peak first
*Watch for people with nade spots, this usually occurs in at the start of rounds of Search and Destroy and can be horribly effective, and try and learn some yourself...I mean why not?
*The red dot aimer is your friend, it brings all guns to an even level in my eyes. The scope has too much movement to be as accurate as the red dot even at long range.
*Just because you just stunned someone doesn't mean he still can't shoot you, so be careful.
*There is no shame in running to stay alive in an online game
*Watch for areas with long lines of sight, sniping in this game is fairly easy and people will abuse it, think playing CSS with the awp
*KEEP MOVING, don't stay in one spot for too long, but you have to be the judge of that depending on game mode/map.
*Don't let people think. If you have him pinned behind something cook a grenade (another very useful skill) and try and make it explode before hitting the ground so he doesn't have time to run.
*Stealth can be fun but I would say stay away from going with a full stealth load out until you get used to at least one gun and its iron sights.
*And if all else fails grab a LMG and just unload with deeper impact. Cause hey its just a game.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

What a good idea.

I'm just about to start Overlord, and while this might sound kind of weird, can I get some advice on Guitar Hero III? I've never played any of the Guitar Hero games for more than a couple minutes, so can you give me some techniques I can use to make me look as much like a rockstar as possible?

aherdofpenguins fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 13, 2008

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

aherdofpenguins posted:

What a good idea.

I'm just about to start Overlord, and while this might sound kind of weird, can I get some advice on Guitar Hero III? I've never played any of the Guitar Hero games for more than a couple minutes, so can you give me some techniques I can use to make me look as much like a rockstar as possible?

For Overlord don't get too attached to your minions as they'll just die in some battle or another. While they technically pick up equipment from killing enemies its almost entirely cosmetic and doesn't really add anything to their abilities so don't be afraid to just send them to their deaths. While its good to have a mix of minions once you unlock the other races you'll want to mainly stick with the brown ones since they do the most damage to just about everyone.

For Guitar Hero, when starting the most fun can be had on Medium difficulty because it can be challenging but doesn't completely gently caress you over. Easy is just too easy and you won't feel like you're really playing since you won't be hitting half of the notes while Hard can just be annoying for a beginner player. If you want to look cool in front of other people while playing learn how to recognize and do Hammer Ons and Pull Offs.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

goblinsdoexist posted:

System Shock 2

I have never played this game before however I am very interested. What mods should I get? Should I just go vanilla?

General tips also appreciated.

*If you have the latest official version, then plain vanilla is fine. Although you may want to read the readme file for how to lower, or shut off weapon degradation and monster respawns. Generally, I like the respawn rate as it is, but the original weapon degradation rate is a bit too high, and prefer to set it at about 0.5.

*Get a good set of headphones, turn out the lights, and play at night for the first two levels or so. There's a reason this game shows up all the time on scariest games list.

*Broken shotguns still have one shell in them. So if you come across any shotgun wielding maniacs whose shotguns always break once they die, pick up the shotgun, unload the ammo, then toss the gun.

*Don't try to kill a protocol droid with a wrench. You're probably gonna try it anyways just to see what happens. Fine, save your game before you try to kill a protocol droid with a wrench.

*Either go all out with Psi, or don't do it at all. You can try being Navy or Marine with a bit of Psi power on the side, but you're pretty much gimping yourself.

*The code to get past the recreation deck is either 11046 or 14106.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 13, 2008

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Alright, requesting a classic: Wasteland. There're a lot of skills here and I don't want to take superfluous ones. I'd rather not be told any exploits or ways to grind skills, I just need some help in terms of character creation.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

For Guitar Hero, when starting the most fun can be had on Medium difficulty because it can be challenging but doesn't completely gently caress you over. Easy is just too easy and you won't feel like you're really playing since you won't be hitting half of the notes while Hard can just be annoying for a beginner player. If you want to look cool in front of other people while playing learn how to recognize and do Hammer Ons and Pull Offs.

I have pretty extensive experience with Konami's Guitarfreaks so hard isn't that much of a stretch, but I didn't know about the hammer ons and pull offs. I'll have to look into that. If you are/anyone is familiar with the Guitarfreaks series are there any other differences other than the obvious star power?

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time

Grifter posted:

Can someone tell me if Monks are good characters for Baldur's Gate 2? I've never played D&D, I just like kung fu movies. Also, should he punch people barehanded?

Yes oh god yes. My 2nd character was a Monk and he COULD NOT DIE. As well as that, he hit for stupid damage a stupid amount of times per round. Super high dex will allow him to save against most reflex attacks (no dmg) and his bare hands get + modifiers as you level. Not to mention stuff like Stunning Fist and Quivering Palm as well. Monks rule. Thing is, you either put 20 levels into Monk or none at all. Do not multi class him, and I also suggest you don't dual class either (never tried it never felt like it).

prometheusbound
Sep 8, 2008

tazman posted:

Yes oh god yes. My 2nd character was a Monk and he COULD NOT DIE. As well as that, he hit for stupid damage a stupid amount of times per round. Super high dex will allow him to save against most reflex attacks (no dmg) and his bare hands get + modifiers as you level. Not to mention stuff like Stunning Fist and Quivering Palm as well. Monks rule. Thing is, you either put 20 levels into Monk or none at all. Do not multi class him, and I also suggest you don't dual class either (never tried it never felt like it).

I'm pretty sure you can't dual or multi class monks in BG2. That said, while monks are powerful characters they can get pretty boring pretty fast, since playing them usually amounts to clicking an enemy and watching them die a few seconds later.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

For Overlord don't get too attached to your minions as they'll just die in some battle or another. While they technically pick up equipment from killing enemies its almost entirely cosmetic and doesn't really add anything to their abilities so don't be afraid to just send them to their deaths. While its good to have a mix of minions once you unlock the other races you'll want to mainly stick with the brown ones since they do the most damage to just about everyone.

They do get slightly more powerful, however they benefit more from not dying as much than they do from any offensive bonuses. A good tip for Overlord is to dump enough minions into the stat on your armor that gives you at least a small amount of HP regeneration, and keep doing it over time. It'll let the Overlord rush into battle at times as well and you won't have to worry about the consequences since he'll just heal himself. Maxing out the best set of armor in the game (Arcanum wasn't it? I forget) with a high HP regen stat lets you solo the tower's arena pretty much by yourself (which is almost necessary for some enemies like the giant slugs).

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 13, 2008

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

tazman posted:

Thanks for the tip. I had him waving a katana around because the game forced me to pick weapon proficiencies and there didn't seem to be one for barehanded. Once I tossed that he did much better. I've now made it past the first dungeon, which is a first for me when it comes to this game. I'm starting to get a feel for how the magic system works, I think I'll be okay.

prometheusbound posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't dual or multi class monks in BG2. That said, while monks are powerful characters they can get pretty boring pretty fast, since playing them usually amounts to clicking an enemy and watching them die a few seconds later.
I'm okay with it, as long as they die.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Keyboard Fox posted:

Requesting Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility

Oh, I know this one.

-ToT is a lot like the N64 version, in that it's more laid back and less complex than say, AWL. Coincidentally, I can't make any other comparisons because I've only played HM64, AWL, and ToT.

-You start out with almost no stamina, but within a month or so you'll have upgraded your tools and it won't be much of a problem. It is a slow start though. You can also find the first power berry to increase your stamina at the bottom of Ganache mine, level 30. The other power berries are when you level your fishing rod to level 3, your next cast you will catch one, when you till 1000 squares, when you bring an animal up to 10 hearts, and in the goddess spring.

-You can choose which plot your house is built on. I like the Hill plot, you are very close to the waterfall (the spring is in the waterfall zone, use it to refill your stamina once a day- it's essential when you're just starting and you have crap
stamina), it has the second largest farm plot (10x10), and it's very close to the Ganache mine district which is where the carpenter, blacksmith, mine, and farm you buy seeds from are. It's also only about an hour's ingame time to Waffle Town.

-I haven't done in depth mathematical analysis, but to me it seems like the slower growing but more expensive crops like strawberry and honeydew will make you more money than the fast growing, cheap crops.

-USE FERTILIZER. Soil has variable quality. It's expensive at first, but the perfect and good crops you get will pay for that fertilizer 10 times over. A full 10x10 field of fertilized soil growing honeydew nets me about 40,000 every 10 days.

-You can give 2 gifts to each person/wild animal a day. This really speed up the friend making process and I wish I'd found out about it earlier.

-Fishing and mining are good sources of income after you build up some stamina. Mining also has the benefit of getting you metals, which are used to upgrade your tools at 1/3 the cost of outright buying them.

-Speaking of tools, there are upgrades and levels. Upgrades (Basic->Iron->Copper->Silver->Gold) reduce the stamina cost of the tool, you purchase these. Levels are based on how many time you've used the tool, and these dictate your area of effect shennanigans and tool power (for instance, the level 4 watering can can charge up to a 3x6 spray).

-Silkworms print money. All other animals rely on the quality of their product to make money, but when you dye ANY type of silk thread (or wool, or flax for that matter) it changes price. There is no quality rating for dyed thread, so a decent silk thread dyed blue will sell for the same as a shining silk thread dyed blue. Blue is the best color for selling, by the way.

-Other then losing the rest of the day, there seems to be no drawbacks to passing out due to no stamina. So when mining, instead of leaving early enough to get back home, just work until you drop. It's a shortcut out of the mine, and since mining is pretty much a day long affair anyways, you don't really lose any time. You might wake up with less than max stamina if you drop at say, 4 AM, but a trip to the spring fixes that.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 13, 2008

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

That's not true at all, equipped minions take less damage and deal out more damage. Early on in the game it doesn't make a lot of difference, but with the equipment they pick up later it makes the minions hugely more effective.

Other hints:

1. Put all your blues on a flag near a fight, they'll automatically run out and resurrect any minions who die. Make sure they don't get attacked though, because they die really fast.

2. Prioritize unlocking up all four different types of minions first, it helps cut down on back tracking.

3. If a creature is on fire he can't fight and he'll take more damage, so having a few reds around is always helpful.

4. A green minion who's attached to a creature will do a lot more damage than an attached brown, a green minion who's not attached will do a less damage than a brown who's not attached.

5. The first level minion boost spell is probably the best spell in the game, since you retain total control of your minions like normal.

Using 4 and 5 together you can take down some of the most powerful enemies in the game extremely fast. For example, to kill a unicorn:

1. Let it charge you and dodge it
2. As soon as it's gone past you, send 5 or 10 greens at it and turn on the minion boost spell at the same time
3. Bye bye pit pony.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Two Worlds (360)

- Many Gamestop locations have a 7- or 14-day return policy on used games. Some even allow you to return a new game if you "did not like it". Check with your local store manager.
- Be sure to keep your receipt and all the game packaging, unopened if possible.
- If you are unable to return for the full value, consider a trade-in. You may only receive a few dollars in store credit, but you can put this toward the purchase of another game.

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006
is...is...is got communisms in it...
Morrowind

In the starting area there is a locked door leading to the towns warehouse. Full of goodys to steal that will either work well, or give you quite a bit of cash for a good start.

While we are on the subject.

-Give back the ring, it'll give you nice influence over the local shopkeeper, you want him to like you as much as possible, then save.
Break into the warehouse and start going through poo poo. You can reload your game and the containers will spawn different poo poo. Also, just save outside the door before you try and break in, you can reload if the guard catches you.

-Luck is an awesome attribute, lots of people disagree, but I say pump it up.

-If you pick alot of skills that get used often, and automatically you will level way fast, which isn't necessarily a good thing. (acrobatics, athletics, sneak)

Actually, because Morrowind is so loved, you can find some pretty good hints out there.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/913818/18303

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

aherdofpenguins posted:

I have pretty extensive experience with Konami's Guitarfreaks so hard isn't that much of a stretch, but I didn't know about the hammer ons and pull offs. I'll have to look into that. If you are/anyone is familiar with the Guitarfreaks series are there any other differences other than the obvious star power?

Doesn't the guitarfreaks controller have only three fret buttons? Learning to hit the other two with your pinky is going to be tougher than you think, especially once you try hard and expert and have to learn to shift your hand down. Try going from a Green-Yellow chord with your index and middle finger, straight to a Yellow-Orange chord with your middle and pinky fingers. It feels uncomfortable at first, but as you play more songs you get used to it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There were a few earlier, but just to go into Xenogears again:

-Fight your non-boss, non-Gear battles the following way unless you run into trouble: cycle through EVERY possible Square, Triangle, and X combination that does not end with a X. This is because ending something in a X will start a Deathblow. So if you have 4 AP, you should do:

Round 1: T-T-T-T
Round 2: T-T-S
Round 3: T-S-T
Round 4: S-T-T
Round 5: S-S
Round 6: X-T
Round 7: Repeat

Adjust the pattern as you get more AP, and of course if the battle ends before you reach the end just try to remember where you left off last battle.

This is important because you will optimize your Deathblow learning efficiency, and will in fact master Deathblows before they are even available to you. Since Deathblows are largely more important than leveling up, this will save you a lot of time grinding or otherwise wasting your time trying to learn Deathblows.

-Bosses that self-destruct almost always give better items if you kill them before they do so. There is one in particular near the end of the game that you absolutely do not want to allow to self-destruct because the item received (Trader's Card) is extremely helpful for end-game preparation.

-Buy three Tank Lids or whatever that prevent Fuel from being stolen in battle. You won't likely need this until the final battle, but you will be thankful for it at that time. At a certain point they disappear from all available shops in the game and you can't buy them again, so get them as soon as you see them.

-Stuff equipped on your human character ALSO affects them while in their Gears. There are many, many items that bestow insane abilities on Gears when their human pilots equip them, as the game is not explicit as to what they'd do to the Gears. Pay special attention to anything that increases speed or Ether, especially the famous Ether Doubler with Elly. This is because once she learns Aerod, equipping her with an Ether Doubler will make most Gear battles with her trivial.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 14, 2008

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
A couple more Xenogears tips:

When you first gain control of Fei at the beginning of the game, check under Fei's bed for free money.

When you fight the kid from your village at the Fighter's Tournament (or whatever it's called), just defend until the fight ends. Don't attack.

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!

aherdofpenguins posted:

There are no invisible notes. Also, I don't play guitar much, but what I do is hold the lower fret buttons instead of the upper ones. Since your pointing finger is longer, it should be easier for anybody to reach the top button with the pointer finger than to reach the bottom one with the pinkie. Speed won't be an issue in Rock Band, and probably not in Guitar Hero, either. There are codes to increase the scroll speed if you need them.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Binowru posted:

A couple more Xenogears tips:

When you first gain control of Fei at the beginning of the game, check under Fei's bed for free money.

This reminds me of a few more:

Chrono Trigger
- When you first begin the game, talk to Crono's mom twice and she'll give you some money.

- The Soda Guzzling game is a good way to build up a lot of Silver Points early, especially if you have a turbo controller. There's a man in a tent over by Lucca's sideshow that trades your Silver Points for Gil. You can use the Gil to buy a Lode Sword from Melchior before you visit Lucca's sideshow.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

Chrono Trigger
- The Soda Guzzling game is a good way to build up a lot of Silver Points early, especially if you have a turbo controller. There's a man in a tent over by Lucca's sideshow that trades your Silver Points for Gil. You can use the Gil to buy a Lode Sword from Melchior before you visit Lucca's sideshow.
Killing Gato over and over again is so much more satisfying though.

I've got one to add for CT: Don't bother with triple techs, you can almost always do more damage in the same amount of time by sticking to double techs or single techs.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 13, 2008

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Sub-Actuality posted:

Two Worlds (360)

- Many Gamestop locations have a 7- or 14-day return policy on used games. Some even allow you to return a new game if you "did not like it". Check with your local store manager.
- Be sure to keep your receipt and all the game packaging, unopened if possible.
- If you are unable to return for the full value, consider a trade-in. You may only receive a few dollars in store credit, but you can put this toward the purchase of another game.

Two Worlds is awesome if you think of it as a B movie version of Oblivion, especially now that you can find it used for $10-15. Once you get past the cheesy renaissance faire dialogue and ugly character models, it's pretty entertaining for what it is -- it's fun to explore the continent (the engine actually has a pretty impressive draw distance), some of the quests are really funny and entertaining, and there's the usual RPG satisfaction of watching the numbers go up and being able to one-hit monsters which were overwhelming a few levels earlier. Also, I like the combat better than Elder Scrolls combat, and it doesn't have lovely level scaling like Oblivion.

A couple of starting tips:

- Learn how item stacking works; you can stack same-type items to create a new item with better stats. But be aware that some types of enhancements will stack while some will overwrite one another, so don't get too greedy.
- The best use I've found for alchemy is probably to create elemental damage enhancing gems.
- The math is pretty screwy on the character stat screen; as you level up, your attack % will seem to go down when you level up (if you don't put points into dex); that's because the attack % is relative to monsters who are the same level as your character.
- A level or two of Heal spell, bound to a quick key, is pretty much essential, and the Bless spell is INCREDIBLY useful, especially for the cheap casting cost.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'm about to pick up Symphony of the Night from the PSN, it being one of the few "great" PS1 titles I never played. Any tips?

Sinister Dexter
Oct 1, 2002

When you wear a shirt like this, you don't need pants!
Here's a couple more for Fallout and Fallout 2 that I didn't see listed yet:

- Don't destroy the eggs in the Deathclaw lair in the original Fallout until you're sure that you're done grinding, or you hit level 50. You get tons of XP from Deathclaws, and if you don't smash the eggs, you can leave the area, go right back, and they'll have re-spawned.

- Save all of the skill-raising books you find and don't use them until later in the game, unless you're sure that you won't ever be putting any points into the skill that they raise. They boost skills by the same number regardless of your current skill level, so you'll be glad you held onto them when those skills get tougher to increase. (Ignore this. I'm an idiot.)

- Some accomplishments require minimum levels in one or more of your core attributes. If yours aren't high enough, use the appropriate drug(s) from your stash to boost them temporarily and try again.

- Once you've played through all (or even a good portion) of the game, start a new game and create a character with an INT score of 3 (or less). Play.

The first of those applies to Fallout 1. The others might apply to both 1 and 2, but I'm not sure. It's been a long time since I've played either one.

Sinister Dexter fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 14, 2008

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

qbert posted:

I'm about to pick up Symphony of the Night from the PSN, it being one of the few "great" PS1 titles I never played. Any tips?

Nothing too specific:
1) Depending on your luck (literally luck, not the "luck" stat), a lot of boss fights tend to be extremely easy or extremely hard. There are many items which can totally break the game by making it too easy, but you can choose not to use them.
2) Some items have special moves.
3) The goal for total exploration is not 100%

I Greyhound fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 14, 2008

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Sinister Dexter posted:

- Save all of the skill-raising books you find and don't use them until later in the game, unless you're sure that you won't ever be putting any points into the skill that they raise. They boost skills by the same number regardless of your current skill level, so you'll be glad you held onto them when those skills get tougher to increase.

This is not quite true. There is a max value that skills can be raised by books. I'm not sure what it is though.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sinister Dexter posted:

- Save all of the skill-raising books you find and don't use them until later in the game, unless you're sure that you won't ever be putting any points into the skill that they raise. They boost skills by the same number regardless of your current skill level, so you'll be glad you held onto them when those skills get tougher to increase.
The books raise your skills more, the lower it is. Have the difficulty set on hard and switch it to easy after that, for a large boost. I think 80-85% is where it increases very little.

Sinister Dexter
Oct 1, 2002

When you wear a shirt like this, you don't need pants!

The Capm posted:

This is not quite true. There is a max value that skills can be raised by books. I'm not sure what it is though.

Scalding Coffee posted:

The books raise your skills more, the lower it is. Have the difficulty set on hard and switch it to easy after that, for a large boost. I think 80-85% is where it increases very little.

Really? drat... I never had any outside confirmation of this whole theory, so maybe I just convinced myself that it worked. I tried it on my second playthrough, and I was pretty sure that it was working, but now that you mention it, I do vaguely remember there being a cap on the maximum skill level where books still had an effect.

All right, I'm retarded. Sorry... :( I should really research this stuff beforehand when I'm posting about games that I haven't played in over a decade.

Space Odin
Dec 31, 2006

Ask me about my great raven...

Binowru posted:

I'm about to start Rogue Galaxy for the PS2 if anyone has some tips they'd like to share.

Ignore the naysayers, for starters. The game doesn't have an incredibly nuanced storyline, but Rogue Galaxy is more or less the last great RPG for the PS2.

- Don't be afraid or hesitant to buy every weapon and max out its XP bar. At best you can combine them for new items, at worst you get XP and work toward filling your bounties. Bear in mind, however, that Jaster's best weapons are all special unique swords with 4 versions. Just look up the powerup combinations.
- Beware the boss fight in the mines on Vedan. This is where the aforementioned melee vs. gun fight takes place. Block like crazy, judiciously heal, and be very patient.
- Keep well stocked on healing items, because the difficulty curve can spike or valley at a whim. Sometimes you'll have no problem rocking everything, and then you'll walk into a fight where the enemy has a damage shield and spams AOEs. Always take out the jump-to-hit (you'll understand when you fight them) enemies first in any fight.
- Jaster's damage boost skill (I forget the name but he gets it early) makes him very powerful. In fact, a good strategy against any boss or tough enemy with no special defenses is to have every character use a damage buff and go to town.
- AOEs kinda remove most of the difficulty in the game. While not useful against bosses or certain enemy types with special defenses, AOE attacks such as Deego's Air Raid will ruin everything else, even into the depths of the endgame dungeon. It's entirely possible to enter a battle and win it with one spell. Whether you abuse this is up to you, but it tends to make dungeon exploration a lot smoother.

And I don't get how people can die against the last boss :psyduck:, at least until Jaster's portion of the fight.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
- In this game you gain weapon experience playing any mode; play co-op terrorist hunt with a buddy, split-screen, for shits and find out you unlocked the best sniper a few hours in.

FORGOT ONE:

- I don't believe this works in multiplayer but in singleplayer a sniper, blind-fired, is 100% accurate and will hit exactly where the invisible crosshair is pointed. Congratulations, you are now the proud owner of a sniper and a shotgun.

Mass Effect
- Be a Soldier or Vanguard. Soldiers can become invincible with the armor-buffing abilities they are given. Vanguards, in combination with Liara, create a paradox enemies cannot solve called the infinite-lift. This paradox is created by your character using lift on the enemies, shooting them while in the air, and then as soon as they drop having Liara cast lift. This cycle can, and will, go on indefinitely.
- Max Wrex's melee damage and 'invincibility' skill. Kill.

Dynasty Warriors 3
- Sun Ce is extremely overpowered and you should play as him the first chance you get due to his musou combo being absurdly powerful.
- When killing officers, make sure to either bring a large squad of allies or to kill all the other enemies first. Named characters are not afraid to use cheap-shots from random shmucks on their side to chain-gank you into oblivion.
- If you have a choice to duel with an officer, the general consensus is to not do so. Usually in field combat you will have the advantage due to having that officer attack your allies giving you an opening to hit them; you lose this advantage in duel-mode as you are the only one fighting the officer.
- Yellow Turban Rebellion is hilarious for grinding up characters.
- I swear to loving god this is not a joke, Lu Bu will gently caress your poo poo up until you are extremely powerful. His combos do absurd damage, his horse is crazy, he's fast as hell, he attacks you the moment he gets up from being knocked down and he HAS BACKUP in the mission where you can fight him. Do not pursue Lu Bu. Until you are properly prepared/until you have a friend playing next to you so you can collectively whoop his cheating rear end back to the stone age through modest use of teamwork.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Time to commemorate the Innocent Sin fan translation with more tips!

· Whenever you get rumors about stores, the best one to spread is that they have a wide selection and low resale value. If you can't get that rumor, then spread the expensive, but good merchandise rumor. It does what it says. You'll have to do some wallet-grinding occasionally, but more often than not after selling your poo poo and some items you'll be able to cover your expenses with minimum grind.
· Always keep your current batch of Personae whenever you get a new batch. An old Persona of high rank is a lot more immediately useful than a new Persona of low rank.
· Walking around regenerates SP, but because the encounter rate is so high and the regeneration rate is so low you're better off stocking up on Chewing Souls and later Wondrous Eggs.
· When you get to the fifth floor of Xibalba, (This is really close to the end of the game.) you can do the Legendary Weapons quest. It's time consuming, but easier than it sounds.

Jeroen
Jun 2, 2004
I have been accused of a stalker!
Viewtiful Joe: It's ok to start out on the easiest level, it's comparable to hard mode or worse in legions of other games. Once you get to know the game you shouldn't have too much trouble beating normal mode (still hard) or even VFX mode (really hard). The story is nonsensical at any level. This goes for VJ2 as well.

F-Zero GX: Stat's don't necessarily mean everything in this game. Just take your time to find the right vehicle, you could also tinker around a lot with custom parts in the shop. I managed to beat all gp's on Master difficulty with a C-A-D vehicle. Not all is lost if you can't beat story mode on hard to get the best parts.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Event Spire posted:

Anyone have any tips for Morrowind?

Redguard is by far the best race with their weapon bonuses. Some may disagree, but I found magic other than alchemy and restoration pretty worthless. You are pretty much always better off just whacking stuff to death. On thing note however, some key spells you will need are Mark/Recall (for getting back to your cache when you are over burdened with loot) and soul trap.

Enchanted weapons are pretty powerful (especially with a paralyze enchantment or damage spell on hit) but a backup weapon is always a good idea. Buying stuff tends to be expensive, but typically it is decently easy to steal (save first) or get better stuff from wandering in the wilderness. Very powerful early game gear can be gotten by defeating Umbra (bring a couple scrolls of paralyze otherwise he is pretty hard) or simply by stealing the sword of white woe from one of the guard houses in Balmora (I forget which one - look it up)

In place of spells, always carry potions (healing, ect) that produce the desired effect since they can be used durning a pause in the middle of the battle. Alchemy is an excellent way of getting potions cheaply.

Other than that, be sure to join the mages guild for the free teleports (or is it just cheaper?) and do a lot of side quests in between every main quest you do to level up and get better gear.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Grifter posted:

I had him waving a katana around because the game forced me to pick weapon proficiencies and there didn't seem to be one for barehanded. Once I tossed that he did much better.

If you're not planning on keeping Keldorn (awesome paladin), get him in your party, nab his armour and then ditch him. Monks with 18 CHA can use it, and it is better than your natural AC at the beginning of the game. You can get your cha to 18 with a ring (Ring of Human Influence) you get in one of the first sidequests available after Irenicus' Lair (the first dungeon).

/edit: You can equip the ring, don the armour, then remove the ring if you want to use another one, the armour stays on.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 15, 2008

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Lockback posted:

requesting Jagged Alliance 2

-Try to get at least one "marksman" before you start. Lynx, Scope, Ivan and Shadow are good mercenaries. I personally prefer Lynx because he has almost top stats\lvl\cost ratio in the game. Seriously give him any single action sniper rifle and aim for the head. Plus he is a decent medic(at least can stop bleeding without turning people into mummies).

-Making your own merc with high medical, mechanic, explosives stats saves you from hassle of hiring useless or just plain annoying (Trevor) for a day or two. Not advised personally since having your merc a combat monster is much more satisfying than having a heal\repair bot.

-Flo might seem, and in fact is, useless. Though the flavor text of her being an arms dealer actually works in game. Trade using her and get %10 discount on everything you buy and get %10 more for everything you sell. Works only with weapons.

-Some mercs start "meh" but due to their high wisdom they can improve way better than you expect from them. Danny is the prime example for this. He is a good medic but with his ridiculous wisdom he learns practically at lightning speed. He has almost maxed out agi and dex so he became a monster with medium range assault rifles later on.

-Don't loot anything on the hospital that doesn't drop from enemies(especially the warehouse full of good stuff). The doctors might refuse treating you if you do so.

-A knife toss to the head usually insta kill anyone provided that they are not aware of you.

-Lots of Guns option on starting screen doesn't provide more gun drops. It just increases the variety of things you can use. You can end up having a dozen different rifles using ammo you may never see until raiding sam sites or shows up on Bobby Ray's. Always play with Tons of Guns for maximum fun.

Dynasty Warriors 4

-Zhou Tai. He has short range,unreliable when crowd control needed(lunges forward instead of 360 attack like many other) and probably have one of the smallest aoe musou. On the other hand he is probably one of the best anti officer\hero chracter (if not the top one). His musou, if the first hit lands lifts the opponent a little bit therefore eliminating any risk of missing or getting blocked if the consecutive hits are delayed(usually happens with spear using heroes). Carefully keeping him at red health level, spamming his basic chain and finishing with musou usually means one shotting any officer you came across. With his lvl 4 sword it is not even funny to run around and finish the whole level in 5 odd minutes.

Panzer General 2

-First, it is old but play the drat game.

-You gain influence by holding objectives each turn. So if you manage to bumrush your enemy and have few spare turns before brilliant victory just encircle the last objective and wait for "last turn" warning.

-Each faction has at least one strong point. German mobile artillery especially shines. An army full of tanks and mobile artillery usually steamrolls anything because of return fire. Russian tanks are superior and their infantry is dirt cheap. Americans have the best bombers in the right from the beginning. Brits have the best defensive stats and best fighters (seriously, spitfires will wreck your face).

-Don't reinforce your units unless it is crucial for Brillant Victory. Just retreat them back. Keep in mind that you have to spend one full turn to resupply.

-Don't bother with anti air guns. AI simply cheats by traveling around their range and still be effective. Only exception is 88's that can't fire on their own but gets incredibly powerful when attacked. Garrison 88's and other "passive" AA guns on chokepoints and force computer to attack them. Maintain air superiority by having a screen of fighters followed by bombers.

-Seriously, play the game it is awesome.

Medieval Total War 2

-If you are playing with a faction that can recruit horse archer units (Turks, Egypt to some extent Hungary) make an almost full stack of horse archers with one or two generals. Having a full cavalry army allows you to jet around the world map and pick the place you want to fight or just avoid anything you can't handle with your superior speed. On the combat screen just kite enemy army until a-)enemy troops start to break from massive losses b-)ran out of arrows. Charge in with your cavalry and bodyguards, the enemy will break. Chase them around with your fast horse archers and let none survive. Walk around with couple of spies(they can match your army speed) to open the city gates or just hire some basic infantry to siege.
Increase the fun by landing on far to reach areas like Spain or England and raze every city. Since they can't practically invade you rack up experience and cash.

-If you are playing with Turks(or any faction that can call Jihads) you have a 5 piety imam from the start. Call for a Jihad against a neutral\poorly defended city you are about to invade(Smyrna for instance)at the first turn and have all your commanders stack in same army before joining the Jihad. Recruit anything you can on the way, invade the city and voila! You have a full stack of experienced troops, Holy Warrior stat on your commanders, Chivalrous Knight retuine for everyone participates, over 4000 cash from successful jihad plus the gains from city.

-Around somewhere in Eastern Anatolia you can recruit Elephants and War Elephants as mercenaries. I'll even go there with my British faction no matter what.

PS: Never managed to play the game with Kingdoms expansion so things above might be fixed or changed.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

REQUEST: Infinite Undiscovery
I managed to muscle through Lost Odyssey's pitiless child drama, but as soon as I got control of Capell in IU the first thing I come across are a pair of cute blue eyed babbys - is it worth struggling through? If so, what are some general pointers?

Lost Odyssey
Explore as much as possible - level up as much as possible until you hit the 'cap' for that area. Try to make it so your immortals are learning mortals' skills as efficiently as possible, and note that towards the end of the game you'll be required to use all the characters at least once - so don't leave them too far behind.

Also, use a guide for the two Eastern Tribe temples - trust me.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Rogue Galaxy
- Illusion Sword plus attack buffs will destroy any boss in less than five seconds I GUARANTEE (get up close so you hit with the sword plus the sword beam)
- Completing all revelation flows is impossible don't do it most of it sucks anyway

God Hand
- Start on Easy
- Abuse free moves
- Punch people

Baroque
- Return it

Star Ocean 3
- Sidekick
- More Sidekick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Jagtpanther posted:

REQUEST: Infinite Undiscovery
I managed to muscle through Lost Odyssey's pitiless child drama, but as soon as I got control of Capell in IU the first thing I come across are a pair of cute blue eyed babbys - is it worth struggling through? If so, what are some general pointers?

Infinite Undiscovery
-If you ever cannot find the last of some "Event" item that you need to progress, use the song on your flute that unveils hidden areas and walk around the borders of the map. They hide poo poo like this a lot.

-If, at any time, you are stuck as to the next plot point, you need to think very simplistically. The game has a very unintuitive way of progressing the plot at times. Looking for a lost boy before you can move on? Don't look for him, silly! Talk to everyone multiple times until they finally tell you exactly where he is. Added to that, some events require you to talk to a specific person multiple times in order to spawn something needed for the event.

-The end of Disc 1 is the best part of the game. Grin and bear through the rest.

-If you are solely playing the game in hopes that the story will pan out and become good, I'd recommend just ditching it. Most of the fun comes in the gameplay.

-When you get to the port town, there is a glitch that will allow you to make absurd amounts of money. All it requires is that you buy 4 bronze (400 coins) and then craft Bronze Scale Grieves. Then use these Grieves and create Bronze Plate Grieves. You can sell these to the local NPC for 4,000 coins. Lather, rinse, repeat. Once you progress the story to leave the village, however, you can't do it anymore.