Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Anything I should know before starting Pacific Drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Some pointers for My Time at Sandrock:
  • You don't need to have played My Time at Portia first, but Sandrock has enough QoL improvements over it that it might be tough playing Portia after Sandrock.
  • This game is a marathon, not a sprint. You'll have plenty of time to explore and mess around with things even if you finish every mission as soon as it pops up.
  • If you find that days are going by too fast or too slow, you can adjust the rate that time passes in the game settings. Just know that crafting times are based on the game clock, not real time.
  • You can build a huge workshop and stockpile materials & products if you want to, but you'll never need to. Two or three of each machine (maybe one each of the more specialty machines) should be enough.
  • That said, there is an optional mission early on that requires 30 paper on a short timeframe, so it wouldn't hurt to build up a buffer while you're doing other things.
  • Partway through the story there will be a 'point of no return' warning. It does lead to a big plot beat, but you won't be locked out of your workshop or anything.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Szarrukin posted:

Consider fabricating replacement car parts instead of using repair putty. Repair Putty should be saved for using mid run. The components for replacement are far more plentiful, and it becomes even more efficient when you get the Matter Deconstructor.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 24, 2024

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Szarrukin posted:

I'm going to try and be a bit vague for this, honestly there's a pretty thorough tutorial in the game, it does throw a lot at you all at once early on, so be prepared for that.

* Some anomalies can be led away from where you want to be if they're the kind that move
* Pay attention to the top left of the HUD periodically when walking about since you don't get warned about radiation otherwise normally
* Prioritize replacing broken tools over say building a new set of doors or you might not be able to scrap things for a while
* Pre-plan your exit when you enter an area in case you have to leave suddenly
* The game is legit dark at night and during storms or area anomalies, so be prepared to use some flares when out of the car, if you check wrecked cars frequently you'll have dozens of flares
* Don't leave your car running, it's headlights on, etc unless you need to since that drains gas and battery. It's slowish but can add up quick over longer outings
* Sometimes main missions can send you farther than you plan to go, so try to be extra prepared
* You can't save during a run, rest mode on PS5 can work but otherwise you kinda have to set some time aside from the longer trips

Honestly hope they patch it so that last thing isn't an issue anymore.

Edit: Just had a mission add an extra stop and then it picked my exit for me and it was the farthest one, not sure if it's by design or if it was because I was too close to the others to activate them anyway when I completed the last objective. This lovely situation got me killed, granted I'm more or less back on my feet after a different, short run but I still have to do the mission again because I died. So yeah, be extra prepared.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 26, 2024

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Szarrukin posted:

You can use med kits while driving.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Factorio's tutorial campaign, and the semi-smart tips that pop up are really great. But I notice that I've had circuits unlocked for some time on my game, and there's only been one tip about them: that they allow a whole bunch of control, but that they're not necessary to win the game.

I'm totally ok with beating the game without using a single circuit, and frankly I'm glad I have the choice. But is there eventually a more helpful tutorial with these things, or are you expected to bring in outside knowledge in order to make use of them?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I'm not sure if they've added another tutorial or not, but the circuits network can basically do whatever digital logic and your imagination can accomplish. That's surely outside the scope of the wiki, so I'd say look for a video about them:

3 minute intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWLKA5zRrQ0

~30+ minutes of info
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9I2l7r4pWM

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
The game itself doesn't tutorialise them much more, but there's a bunch of good stuff in their wiki. I think the expectation is that like a lot of the game you'll tinker with them a little and then look outside the game once oyu get stuck.

I found https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Circuit_network_cookbook a good place to start.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
You can also use them to make a 3D game engine, if you feel like playing Wolfenstein 3D instead of Factorio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bAuP0gO5pc

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

xiw posted:

The game itself doesn't tutorialise them much more, but there's a bunch of good stuff in their wiki. I think the expectation is that like a lot of the game you'll tinker with them a little and then look outside the game once oyu get stuck.

I found https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Circuit_network_cookbook a good place to start.

DoshDoshington does some goddamn eldritch sorcery using circuits.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Bedurndurn posted:

I'm not sure if they've added another tutorial or not, but the circuits network can basically do whatever digital logic and your imagination can accomplish. That's surely outside the scope of the wiki, so I'd say look for a video about them:

3 minute intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWLKA5zRrQ0

~30+ minutes of info
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9I2l7r4pWM

xiw posted:

Thanks, at least I'm not waiting around for a tutorial that's not going to come. I'll probably fiddle with circuits sooner or later, and it's good to know where to get started.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Severed Steel
  • The game doesn't fully explain what maneuvers put you in stunt status (enemy shots are guaranteed to miss) or how to tell of you're in it. The visual indicator is the red speed lines at the sides of the screen, but the slo-mo meter also doesn't drain during stunts. Some things like a fall from high up or the first split second of a regular jump will trigger it and you may want to get a feel for it by running around outside of combat since it can feel random when it drops off and you get shot otherwise.
  • The indicators on the top half of the crosshair are for ammo, the bottom half is slow-mo meter.
  • It's tedious, but you can infinitely climb a wall by melee kicking it over and over if you're lost and not sure how to reach an objective otherwise.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
A few more for Pacific Drive:

* To use the Transfer Trunk effectively hold it while accessing a container and it'll replace your backpack in the UI, which you can still switch to on that screen, so you can load it up directly which is much handier than what it initially seems to be.
* Yes, you can scrap a trunk panel to get inside rather than pry it open with the prybar, however this does in fact destroy some of the trunk's contents, so use the prybar first.

I'm honestly not sure how I missed the first thing since trying to put it into the car is probably the first thing everyone tries, but based on some LPs I've watched here and there I wasn't alone in that confusion. The second tip came from a loading screen like 10 hours in after I had been scrapping trunk lids to open them to save time for the majority of the game. Doesn't help that the game loads so fast sometimes you can't read the tips completely.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Brightman posted:

A few more for Pacific Drive:

* Yes, you can scrap a trunk panel to get inside rather than pry it open with the prybar, however this does in fact destroy some of the trunk's contents, so use the prybar first.

Ah, poo poo. Well, at least I mostly did this with the car at the garage, I usually try to avoid using scrapper durability on a run if I can avoid it. But still, makes me wonder how much loot I've obliterated.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Morpheus posted:

Ah, poo poo. Well, at least I mostly did this with the car at the garage, I usually try to avoid using scrapper durability on a run if I can avoid it. But still, makes me wonder how much loot I've obliterated.

Yeah, if you're mostly just doing it to that one you're probably fine. After I saw that tip the very next trunk I opened with the prybar was the fullest I've seen. By the end of that run every container on and in my car was full and my backpack was mostly full too.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I know Pacific Drive's already got a bunch just on this page but this is a true before-you-play, 0-game-knowledge one:
- You can change a huge amount of things in the setting, including "how many clicks it takes to install/swap stuff on your vehicle," "what do you lose on mission failure/death," and (the biggest one for any split-attention gamers like me) "does it pause the game when I bring up menus (default: no)"

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Horizon Forbidden West has had a number of updates since the entry was written, so the first hint about useful Apex Hearts being in junk has been fixed.

Herbalists in settlements sell pouch upgrade materials, with the furthest southwest settlements having the full variety for sale. No more hunting for salmon!

On the other hand, animal skins and bones sell for a lot, so hunting easy game like peccaries and owls as you see them is a good way to keep your cash flow positive.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Brightman posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaag :negative:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
My pacific drive tips as well:

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I know Pacific Drive's already got a bunch just on this page but this is a true before-you-play, 0-game-knowledge one:
- You can change a huge amount of things in the setting, including "how many clicks it takes to install/swap stuff on your vehicle," "what do you lose on mission failure/death," and (the biggest one for any split-attention gamers like me) "does it pause the game when I bring up menus (default: no)"
Another really useful setting is "Loot Glows" which is great if you don't like the fumbling in the dark so much.

The "Tech tree" is pretty overwhelming initially but IMO the critical ones to shoot for early, other than more storage as needed are:
Impact Hammer
Outfiting Station
Matter Regenerator
Side Rack
Side Storage
Steel doors/panels/bumpers
Seat Rack
Auto-Shifter

Trap options to avoid early:
Large fuel can - This does NOT replace/upgrade the small one in your trunk, it's a separate 2x3 inventory item.
Turbolight engine - You will be unable to get the parts until midgame.
Liberator - You're better off trying to find one in the field, unless you have the rare resource it requires to craft (5 ThermoSap Crystal)

Once you unlock it don't forget about the outfitting station! It's more than just a medium backpack giver, each clothing item bought is permanent and passive.

You can generally leave your car running when hopping out; gas is plentiful in the starting zones. Headlights will drain your battery so use your judgement on keeping that on; consider using your interior dome light if you need a visual beacon instead.

Most Kits (electrical, mechanical, med, putty) stack to 3 in the same spot, so if you bring one you might as well craft and bring 3 with you instead. Food stacks to 10 and you can eat while driving with the hotkey (v by default).

There are several garage items that respawn after every expedition including the car wreck outside that you can break down for basic materials.

You probably want to deconstruct/remake your tools if they're below half, especially the impact hammer which is hard to craft in the field. If you don't have a scrapper, the dumpster will give you one for free, so before you go, grind the wreck, deconstruct your scrapper and talk to the dumpster get a free replacement!

Even though the tutorial has you use putty to repair, the game actually expects you to re-craft and swap your parts into the repair device once you unlock it. Putty takes chemicals and is moderately valuable so avoid using it on panels and doors; save the putty for your more delicate components.

If you find a early liberator in the wild, steal offroad tires and armored panels from trucks rather than grinding them for parts. It takes a moment but firing a single shot disconnects any item and offroad tires especially are helpful to have.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 26, 2024

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Bhodi posted:

If you find a early liberator in the wild, watch for tires and armored panels on trucks to steal. It takes a moment but firing a single shot disconnects any item and offroad tires are really helpful to have early.

Armored parts also give you a couple rare materials required for the liberator, so they're also worth destroying if you can't pull them off.

Edit:
Also, the route planner lets you scan the route you want to go on, but it is only to see what is coming up, it is not set in stone. You can go in a different direction if you want, to another location, with the caveat that you may not know what's coming up. But make sure the place you're going to end up isn't listed as a dead-end.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 26, 2024

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Morpheus posted:

Armored parts also give you a couple rare materials required for the liberator, so they're also worth destroying if you can't pull them off.
Good point, edited! Hopefully people are grinding everything that isn't crude and some steel already!

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Anything for Last Epoch?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Anything for Vagrus: the Riven Relalms?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Started Pacific Drive since this is my game recommendation thread; are artifacts the "beneficial but harmful" type per STALKER, or is the rule "if it's glowing then get going"? Talking about things like the glowing golden orbs.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

Started Pacific Drive since this is my game recommendation thread; are artifacts the "beneficial but harmful" type per STALKER, or is the rule "if it's glowing then get going"? Talking about things like the glowing golden orbs.

There are beneficial anomalies, there are harmful anomalies, and there are anomalies that are good in certain contexts. Those glowing golden orbs, for example, make you go real fast. Great if you have a stretch of road in front of you. Not great if there's a tree. Make sure you scan them all to get some context for what they do.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Morpheus posted:

There are beneficial anomalies, there are harmful anomalies, and there are anomalies that are good in certain contexts. Those glowing golden orbs, for example, make you go real fast. Great if you have a stretch of road in front of you. Not great if there's a tree. Make sure you scan them all to get some context for what they do.

Thanks, that wasn't clear to me. The logbook mentioned going fast but most log entires have only tangentally related lore. I ran on foot through one of them in case it would seriously damage my car and all it did was damage me so I wasn't sure if it was just fluff for a obstacle.

VVV Oh sure the logs are interesting, they can just be vague and my one test of checking their helpfulness failed.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 27, 2024

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
All the info is in the form of govt storied reports but there's good info in there if you read it, each anomaly has a report you can get info from. There are also general ones, like for example the one titled "Your car is your armor". Stay in the car. Your car is your friend. Love the car. Trust the car.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I love reading the reports, especially when they continuously debate whether or not the anomalies, or even the zone as a whole, are intelligent, simply driven by instinct, or nothing more complex than a chemical reaction.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Anything for Rune Factory 5? I’ve never played any of ‘em.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Some stuff for 40K: Rogue Trader:

-The game lets you inspect enemies for their stats/ablities in combat and generally expects you to do this to plan your actions (specially if you're not familiar with the game style/Owlcat games)
-There are side events where you have to make choices - with linked skill checks/costs and rewards/penalties. You can ask your crew for advice - which generally will alter some or all of the check difficult/costs and rewards/penalties vs if you pick an choice without asking. Sometimes the changes are for the better, sometimes not. You can also turn off the tooltip that shows you the rewards/penalties before you pick a choice - if that's your style.
-There are some envriomental hazzards in maps, that can cause damage/injury debuffs to characters in real time movement. Generally the best wayto navigate around the hazzards is to unlink your party (so they don't all move as a group) and move people through a character at at a time.

One might be a bit too far out in the game but:
-In chapter 3, some of party members can get a "perm" stat debuff due to story events. These can be removed on a per-character-basis, in chapter 3 via side quests, but if you advance past the chapter those stat debuffs are there for good.

EDIT:
Fair, I started playing, took a break and then binged a load. So probably forgot a bunch of the UI hints and internalised them wrong way
VVVV

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 2, 2024

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DroneRiff posted:

Some stuff for 40K: Rogue Trader:

-The game lets you inspect enemies for their stats/ablities in combat and generally expects you to do this to plan your actions (specially if you're not familiar with the game style/Owlcat games)
-There are side events where you have to make choices - with linked skill checks/costs and rewards/penalties. You can ask your crew for advice - which generally will alter some or all of the check difficult/costs and rewards/penalties vs if you pick an choice without asking. Sometimes the changes are for the better, sometimes not. You can also turn off the tooltip that shows you the rewards/penalties before you pick a choice - if that's your style.
-There are some envriomental hazzards in maps, that can cause damage/injury debuffs to characters in real time movement. Generally the best wayto navigate around the hazzards is to unlink your party (so they don't all move as a group) and move people through a character at at a time.

One might be a bit too far out in the game but:
-In chapter 3, some of party members can get a "perm" stat debuff due to story events. These can be removed on a per-character-basis, in chapter 3 via side quests, but if you advance past the chapter those stat debuffs are there for good.

I wouldn't bother with any of that, it's UI stuff the game throws in your face. I would suspect that Act 3 info would be the subject of a patch at some point as well.

This game needs quite a few tips, but mostly in the sense of getting ahead of the Owlcat brand of game design and what figurative and literal traps you will encounter, intended or otherwise.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I cleaned this up to look more like the other Owlcat games. Everything should be spoiler free and mostly stuff the game does not tell you. The current patch number is probably the most significant part as a lot of these things might change especially anything combat related.

Rogue Trader

TL;DR
- Current as of patch 1.1
- It’s an Owlcat game, so install Toybox as a quick fix for any sort of problems
- Skill Checks skyrocket in difficulty in Act 3 and continue on doing so for the rest of the game
- Strong enemies usually have stage gimmicks or a buff that can be disabled using certain powers or attack types ex. the tutorial boss will consume any on screen enemies when it takes enough damage and recover stronger then before
- “Role Playing” is a core part of the game design, it rewards going all in on one type of alignment over mixing them up
- Act 3 throws a massive shift in gameplay at you
- Keep most navigation routes at yellow, it can trigger an event that gives Insight as a reward
- Insight cannot be farmed aside from the random event
- The "Secret" ending is much easier to achieve then previous Owlcat games

Character Creation
- There is no significant reactivity to homeworld/origin
- Psyker Origin is basically it’s own unique class, it can synergize with the archetypes or be the main focus for level up
- Most companions have unique features & abilities you cannot replicate with mercenaries; Cassia especially.
- For melee DPS, priority is Agility, Weapon Skill, Toughness
- Strength stat is only important for equipping heavy weapons and power armor
- Skill checks in the game are balanced assuming characters focus on 2 skills max, and taking the skill training abilities, Act 3 will see skill checks with -50 penalties and higher become common

General
- There is no time limit for the main story. Some companion missions will expire if you ignore them too long.
- There are well labeled points of no return for advancing into the next chapters
- Early combat is cover based shooting and lasts several rounds. By Act 3 combat is about granting extra turns via abilities/heroic moments and doing extremely high damage attacks to end combat in 1-2 rounds.
- The game is supposed to pick the best party member to use for skill checks but it will not always do that.
- Foulstone can be converted into a colony.
- For high damage with ranged weapons the optimal choice is a heavy bolter; despite the listed damage rate of fire is the most important factor for damage.
- Ship combat is “optional” except you need it to level up your ship and get better equipment from the vendor. Main quest missions are often gated by a moderate difficulty ship battle to proceed
- Itemization is not ideal for certain builds. There are no 2h force weapons in the game, and only 2 force swords (for psykers using psy attack). There is psyker specific heavy armor as well.
- Psykers get the "until end of combat" buffs/debuffs, regular classes get "per round/until next turn" versions, and Grand Strategist set areas that buff allies/debuff enemies inside them

Level Up
- You can find a lot of Aeldari and Drukhari equipment in later acts so those talents are useful midgame and beyond.
- Grenadier will allow party members to use grenades at 0AP, this includes using them during extra turns
- You don’t need to build out anything in advance except strength requirements for heavy weapons and power armor

Act 3
- The party you take into the final story mission of Act 2 will be the only party members you have for Act 3.
- High priority skills needed for Act 3 are social skills, and Lore:Xenos.
- Warp attack abilities are highly valuable as they can dispel enemy buffs on hit
- The permanent party member debuffs can be cured by turning in plot items found in the area

Companions
- You recruit most of the companions by Act 2, an additional 2 in act 3, and then 3 secret companions in Act 4 that can join based on your alignment
- Companions will not leave you over alignment choices until a specific late game extreme option or siding against them during a pivotal conversation
- The Space Marine is found in Act 3, his gear is nearby. Despite his power he is a 2x2 size and can get stuck on the map. Toybox has an option to make him normal size.
- Companion quest outcomes are flagged and will affect the companions moving forward, like “X remembers your advice” in case you want specific good endings you have to make the correct choices early on

Colony Management
- Janus has a project that gives you an AI controlled ship ally for space battles
- The med kits that cure traumas are highly useful for Act 3
- Save extractiums for xenotech and flogiston early game

Vendors
- It is extremely difficult if not impossible to max all vendor reputations, focus on 2 that do not want the same high value cargo at first.
- Converting excess consumables like medkits and stims into cargo will give a significant boosts to reputation
- Vendor reputations increase to 35 in Act 4 with new high level equipment available
- The Imperial Navy only takes trophies obtained from ship combat, you have to manually add them to cargo from your inventory if they don't appear as cargo
- Vendor reputations also unlock some colony projects, and other colony projects can boost reputation as well

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Anything I should know for Last Epoch?

Specifically wondering how important the various defences are. Should I be shooting for a certain level of resistances? Should a character try to maximise one thing like ward, block, dodge, leech etc

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

For turn based extraction shooter Quasimorph

- Infection only kills you if damage reaches 100%, so if a wound heals before it gets to that point then you don't need antibiotics. You can also either use a merc profile that is immune to infection or mass produce infection-lowering items for free via the ship's crafting menu.

- The "stock market" is not an actual market you can use, instead it is a scoreboard for corporation power. A corp's entry on the board will show you equipment with a percentage on each item; that is your chance of receiving that items if you do missions or trade with them.

- Trade is done by barter, you give them what they say they need in the station's info panel to get points, and those points are assigned to give you items from the pool mentioned above.

- Bodily damage works the same for everyone. If you put a burst into someone and they are bleeding in the inspection menu (right click on the unit) then you can just let them bleed to death.

- Fire is your greatest friend and enemy. It doesn't damage items on the ground, and it can wipe out a room with a single shot. Just don't be in the room as well.

- If you find a class/merc/item chip then you are allowed to extract early with it, otherwise you have to finish the mission.

- Your movement stance greatly affects how many calories you are consuming per action.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I sorted out the page for Divine Divinity some and added a variety of stuff of my own while I was at it, for example:

quote:

* Stealth is not really a viable playstyle in the game, and sneaking is basically made redundant by the invisibility spell Fade From Sight. The main draw of the Survivor class is that they're very hard to hit in melee at high Agility levels.

* The game has a fairly large amount of "trap skills" that are weak enough they might as well do nothing (Wisdom, Survivor's Instinct), are made redundant by better skills (Embrace Shadows vs. Fade From Sight, Ranger's Sight vs. Elven Sight, Withering Curse vs. Curse), or literally don't work (True Shot, NecroShift).

* Combining two bundles of hay in your inventory creates a portable straw bed which lets you rest anywhere by just clicking on it in your inventory.

* Quest items are not separated from generic loot in your inventory, and some like "Exquisite Wine" and "Magical Lockpicks" are easy to mix up and lose or sell by accident. Most books and manuscripts are generics, but a few are quest items, primarily notes with information relevant to the quest you're doing. Generic gems are only for selling.

Also casual reminder that the wiki format uses asterisks ( * ) instead of hyphens ( - ) for list markers, so it's a little nicer for editors if people post their own lists with asterisks too.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 4, 2024

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Rockman Reserve posted:

Anything for Rune Factory 5? I’ve never played any of ‘em.

Rune Factory games are largely like Harvest Moon / Story of Seasons games, with some dungeon crawling and more item crafting atop it to keep it fresh. The Request board outside your base gives you tons of requests that are actually tutorials for anything from monster taming to raising crop levels.

RP
Your RP recovers (slowly) when you're standing still, this also counts if you're talking to someone. You can open conversation with the NPC at the bottom of your base to slowly recover RP in the early game.

Most of your RP restoration is going to come from cooking. Some easy (one ingredient) dishes that restore a good amount of RP are:
Boiled Egg (Pot | Egg), Hot Milk (Pot | Milk S/M/L), Boiled Spinach (Pot | Spinach), Pickled Turnip (Cooking Table | Turnip), Boiled Daikon (Pot | Radish )

Crops
If you cut a fully-grown crop with a sickle, you have a chance of receiving a seed of a higher level. Ship higher-level seeds, and seeds in stores will all be of the higher level going forward. For levels about Lvl 7 or so, you need a higher-level sickle and/or use Greenifier (raises soil quality by 0.2) and Greenifier+ (raises quality by 0.5), and apply them until you get at least +1.0 Quality (check using a magnifying glass or item with a magnifying glass embedded in it).

There are three ranks of fertiliser: Formula A (raises growth speed by 1.0 fold), B (raises by 2.0 fold) and C (raises growth by 2.5). One bottle covers a 2x2 area, and each can be used once a day (i.e. you can use one bottle A, one B and one C on the same 2x2 plot to immediately max out the growth rate to the cap of 5.0x, but you can't use four bottles of A in one day).

Crafitng and Recipes
Crafting something whose recipe you do not know costs more RP than following a known recipe.
You can buy Recipe Bread (for cooking, accessories, weapons, pharmacy or farm tools) which will teach you one recipe of the appropriate level per bread (more for high-level bread). Recipes are largely identical to those of RF4, so you can look them up.
It's generally impossible to make something more than 15 levels above your skill since the RP cost increases so much.

To get skill levels quickly, do the following:
(Equip a star pendant if you have one, it raises the rate of Skill EXP gain. Star Pendants are a level 40 accessory, made from a silver pendant, one nugget of Gold [Meline Crystal Caverns - Depths and later dungeons], and a Love Crystal [dropped by Pixies, which can be farmed in Everlasting Darkness Level 2, but that level drains RP] )
Open your crafting station. Select the highest-level recipe you can actually make. Remove all items the game pre-populates the recipe with (i.e. if you're cooking boiled spinach, remove the spinach) and put in a "dummy item" such as a weed.
Craft. You will fail, creating a Failed Dish / Scrap Metal / Object X; however, you will fail at the level of the recipe you tried. You can recycle the Failed Dish / Scrap Metal / Object X again and again through the high-level recipe.
Much like in real life, you learn more from trying and failing outside your comfort zone than by repeating something you're already good at.

Rune Factory games secretly have a super deep crafting system. For example, the Magnifying Glass item lets you see the soil's level, growth speed, HP, etc., but you need to equip and unequip it... However, if you reinforce a farming tool or accessory with a magnifying glass, that effect can be transferred to the new item. Now you have a sickle that shows you soil and crop levels. Look a up a guide if you want to make really good equipment, it's far too deep to get into here, but it lets you make truly bonkers stuff like rings with multiple resistances, a scarf that shows soil level, cuts RP consumption and speeds up tool charge, or a short sword with the stats of Dual Blades.

Drop Farming
Your "Spell Seal" (gets tutorialised) has a chance of forcing the enemy to drop their item without needing to defeat them and without killing them. Enemies generally seem to only drop one item.
You can farm enemies by using the Spell Seal to claim a drop, moving away until they despawn, then moving back towards their gate to re-spawn them.

Upgrading tools
Upgrade your watering can first, it's the biggest time saver. Upgrading your hammer supposedly increases your success at getting mineral drops. Upgrading the sickle lets you get higher-level seeds from grown crops. Upgraded fishing rods allegedly attract fish from further away.
Upgrade the axe last, charged swings with the hammer and axe only cover a wider area, they do not do more damage. Upgrading the axe/hammer also doesn't increase swing speed as it did in RF4; sorry, logging is annoying again.

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 19, 2024

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Szarrukin posted:

Story missions always put you into a "perpetual stability" zone, where the storm doesn't advance until you either open a gateway or activate the last/only stabilisier in the map. Loot accordingly.

Maps come in different types, distinguished by the icon on the left side of the junction name. The map type determines which Tier 2 / 3 resources you can find, i.e. you can only find "Salamander Nests" in the mid zone, in a map of type "Marsh".

Repair kits (Mechanics', Sealing, Electrical, Light Replacement) stack to 3; if possible, don't leave without a stack of 3

Most items or consumables have an upgraded version, which tends to last longer and only takes up slightly more space but what they do isn't always signposted:
* Repairing car part durability (including tyres): Repair Putty -> Blowtorch -> Olympium Blowtorch
* Recharging battery: Battery charger -> Plasma Prod
* Light Source: Road Flare -> Reignitable Road Flare -> Crude Flashlight/Bioflare -> Biolantern
* Get resoures: Scrapper -> Plasma Scrapper, Hammer -> Magnet Hammer, Hand Vac -> Thermal Vac. Upgraded resource tools seem to also get better drops (i.e. the magnet hammer gets more plasma from generators)

If your Tier 1/2 item (scrapper, prybar, etc) is under 50% health, best to scrap it and make a new one before driving out. Your car can be upgraded to a level 2 crafting station (if upgraded) - you can't make some of the advanced resource collectors in the field.

You can use the hand vac / thermal vac to suck up any drops, not just the ones its used to harvest. Useful to sweep the area (but beware of sucking up smaller Abnormalities!)

Recommended garage upgrades:
Matter deconstructor (breaks down dumpster pearls, which tend to be very good, if random, resources). You can also scrap car parts that have an incurable status effect, which refudns at least some resources. You can also scrap excess paint cans for chemicals.
Matter Regenerator (Mk1 / Mk2) - create two sets of car parts, swap them in and out from the regenerator onto your car, save a fortune on repair putty. Regenerator restores parts' durability, but will not remove status effects!

I finished the game in 20 drives, without ever using (or getting) Junction Bypass, Junction Scrambler, or many of the higher-tier upgrades, really.

Recommended car upgrades:
Trunk in the Trunk (And its upgrade)
Resource detector - for 2.5 energy, it scans the area and highlights cars, resource nodes, and barrels in range with a HUD marker including distance. These markers stay for ~30 seconds before fading - enough to point yourself in the right direction
Offroad Tires
LIM shield - given to you during the story, replaces your bumper (Recommended: rear bumper). Whilst active, the Shield will consume battery for each instance of damage deflected, but will also detach any bunnies, Abductors, etc, and stop you from getting smashed to crap. High battery drain if uses carelessly, lifesaver is used carefully.

You get a total of four side racks, two seat racks, and two top racks. I recommend one fuel tank extension and one battery extension in the seats, a resource detector for the roof, an extra storage dedicated to repair kits on the side and generators (solar, lightning rod, water) on the last three. Those generators covered enough environment types that I could run lights and the occasional Resource Detector ping / LIM shield without having to worry about power.

Generally - don't take stupid risks, don't drive back into the storm unless you have to, most abnormalities you can just drive around. If in doubt, go slow and in a circle around the weird thing, and live another day.
Oh, and #GovernmentYellowGang.

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 5, 2024

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I don't think I've mentioned this here. Since we started to get a lot of visitors to the wiki from outside of Something Awful, I've tried to keep it free of swear words.

I thought I'd got every case "gently caress". But it turns out MediaWiki search doesn't do word stems. I've just finished removing all the "loving"s.

There's still a mountain of "poo poo" to climb. But I'll get there in the end.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

ahobday posted:

I don't think I've mentioned this here. Since we started to get a lot of visitors to the wiki from outside of Something Awful, I've tried to keep it free of swear words.

I thought I'd got every case "gently caress". But it turns out MediaWiki search doesn't do word stems. I've just finished removing all the "loving"s.

There's still a mountain of "poo poo" to climb. But I'll get there in the end.
So you changed all the instances of “gently caress” to “gently caress”, right? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ahobday posted:

There's still a mountain of "poo poo" to climb.
:rimshot: