Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

Star Ocean 3
- Sidekick
- More Sidekick

Dear god yes. Sidekick is the only move in Fayt's arsenal that links with any semblance of speed. Air Raid is nice for a couple hits if you don't want to combo chain/sacrifice 25% of your HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
In Star Ocean 3 I pretty much only used Maria once she enters your party. If you chain her spreadshot and homing shot over and over, you can get incredible damage really fast.

Also, I don't think anyone has explained how chain attacks in SO3 work yet. I had to have a friend show me this because I just didn't get it. Anyway, in SO3 you get two attack buttons (I forget precisely which ones they were but for the sake of this explanation let's assume it's X and O). You can assign a special attack to each button. Assign Spreadshot to X and Homing Shot to O (or vice versa, doesn't matter). Hold X, and as soon as you see Maria start the animation for her special attack, begin holding O. She'll immediately go into it, at which point you should hold X again. Do this until your attack meter (or whatever it's called) goes down and you have to let it recharge. This makes every battle, including the last boss, stupidly easy. This method works for any character, I just prefer Maria because she racks up huge damage and has ranged attacks.

Keyboard Fox
Apr 14, 2006

CALM THE HELL DOWN
Forumwars
-Do Ophelia Titsupp's mission asap. The reward is a free attack that might be more powerful than what you have at that point.
-If you've kept coming back enough to get through episode one, then there should be no question as to if you should buy episode two. (episode two finally came out today, by the way)

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Final Fantasy IV DS
- Slow works on everything, and it's multi-target. Use it on everything you can! It will save quite a bit of hassle.
- Shell + Protect on entire party is a good idea for any boss battle.
- If an enemy has a really powerful multi-target magic attack, try berserking it, and casting blink on your party. The enemy will only be able to physically attack, and Blink will make them miss.
- Cecil's Cover ability can come in handy often. Covering a magic user is usually a good idea.
- "Cry" is a fantastic augment to use, It cuts defense of all enemies.

Mother 3
- Offense Up + Defense Up are really good PSI powers to use in all bosses.
- Likewise, Offense Down + Defense Down are both excellent PSI powers to cut down on Boss difficulty.
- For the above two points, Keep in mind that often times, you can use each PSI multiple times to keep raising/cutting offense/defense. It never hurts to see if the stat can go higher/lower.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

SereneCrimson posted:

Final Fantasy IV DS
These are all good, but if I were to say one, absolute must for FFIV DS:

-Give 2 augments to Palom, and 1 augment to Porom. It doesn't matter which ones, though there are some weaker ones at the start that probably work best. You NEED to do this to get Dualcast, arguably the most useful single augment in the game if you give it to Rosa, and one that is almost god drat required for some of the later battles.
-Conversely, you may as well suck it up and use an augment FAQ to make sure you get everything.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

RotationSurgeon posted:

Dynasty Warriors 3
- If you have a choice to duel with an officer, the general consensus is to not do so. Usually in field combat you will have the advantage due to having that officer attack your allies giving you an opening to hit them; you lose this advantage in duel-mode as you are the only one fighting the officer.
There are no duels in DW3. You're thinking of DW4. Also duels suck in DW4 because the enemy gets unlimited musou. They can do their musou attack at will. I died in a duel because the enemy musou'd me three times in a row and I was not expecting such a cheap move.

RotationSurgeon posted:

Lu Bu
His combos do absurd damage, his horse is crazy, he's fast as hell, he attacks you the moment he gets up from being knocked down and he HAS BACKUP in the mission where you can fight him. Do not pursue Lu Bu.

He also doesn't flinch when hit (unless you got a lot of attack) so when you're hitting him he can hit you back mid-combo!

HereComesEverybody
Mar 2, 2007

a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

Any tips for playing through the numbered Silent Hill games? I've started a new game in the second one, but it's going incredibly slow because I'm not used to the puzzle style, plus there always seems to be a required roundabout way of getting from point A to point B.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Some misc Fallout 2 tips.

If you want a fun gimmick build, choose Jinxed with a Luck 10 Character (this works for both games). Your luck will override the negative effects of the Perk, but all your enemies will be constantly missing,breaking their own limbs or having guns explode in their faces.

It's perfectly possible to finish the last area without firing a single shot.

Although Advanced Power Armour is better overall, Tesla Armour, with its 90%/80% Laser/Plasma resistance, is incredibly effective against the Enclave, as the vast majority of them use Energy Weapons.

For some reason the AP Ammo doesn't work all that well, and becomes redundant if you're using aimed shots.

If you're short of cash, the merchants in San Fran are easy to rob and usually have 5000+ chips a pop. The merchant to the East also contains several items that you can usually only get through quests (Jet Antidotes, Motion Sensors, Super-Tool Kits)

Sulik is for some reason awesome with a .223 Pistol, while Cassidy is likewise incredibly good with the Gauss Rifle.

If you're sick of Marcus constantly chewing through ammo and blowing away teammates, he is still reasonably effective with a Plasma Rifle.

If you're thinking of using energy weapons at all, tag it, as you cannot increase your skill with it using other methods like you can with small guns or melee.

goodog fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 16, 2008

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

HereComesEverybody posted:

Any tips for playing through the numbered Silent Hill games? I've started a new game in the second one, but it's going incredibly slow because I'm not used to the puzzle style, plus there always seems to be a required roundabout way of getting from point A to point B.

The number one thing to know is that these games should be played in the dark at night. Preferably with headphones.
SH2 - At one point you cross the lake. Look at the letter after you do this.
SH4 - Don't take the loving doll. Seriously. Don't do it. Leave it there.

Other than that, the games are pretty straightforward, albeit with a few weird puzzles and a town that makes getting between two points a pain in the rear end. Nothing general knowledge will help with, though.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 16, 2008

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
Metal slug series

* Don't get hit
* Save everyone
* Shoot everything in the environment. (seriously there is crap hidden everywhere.)
* Don't get hit.

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa
Requesting Half Life 1 plus its expansions.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

durtan posted:

-Don't be afraid to use your bigger weapons, there is always more ammo.
-Alt fire pistol is never realy worth it.
-Crowbar the headcrabs.

It's been many years since I've played through them, the rest is just basic FPS things, like don't confuse quick save/load.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

durtan posted:

-If you hear vortigaunts spawning in, run for cover, their beam attack almost never misses if you're out in the open. But they take a while to charge and don't really move about so you can easily pop out and pop them between attacks.

-If a barnacle grabs you, wait until it's almost pulled you up to it then crowbar it in the face. Much easier than wasting ammo.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 16, 2008

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

MurraneousX posted:

-If a barnacle grabs you, wait until it's almost pulled you up to it then crowbar it in the face. Much easier than wasting ammo.
This is only advisable if the barnacle is a short distance off the ground. If it tries to pull you up a considerably long distance, shooting it is safer than crowbarring it to death and then plunging to yours.

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

Final Fantasy XII

* Party members join at Vaan's level +1 or +2. Level Vaan by himself early in the game.
*Chain Mirrorknights in the Feywood for tons of money

*Get the Golden Amulets as soon as possible to double your LP gain. Inactive party members still gain LP!

*The plot sucks, so ignore it. However, the gameplay is really fun once you get used to the battle system.

*If you want the best weapon in the game, consult some FAQs for the 4 chests that you must avoid.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

MurraneousX posted:

-If you hear vortigaunts spawning in, run for cover, their beam attack almost never misses if you're out in the open. But they take a while to charge and don't really move about so you can easily pop out and pop them between attacks.

Another option is to rush them with your shotgun. IIRC one point-blank shotgun round is enough to kill them. Keep yourself within pretty close range of them and they will stick to their melee attack, which comes with a pretty apparent windup.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

El Negocio posted:

Although Advanced Power Armour is better overall, Tesla Armour, with its 90%/80% Laser/Plasma resistance, is incredibly effective against the Enclave, as the vast majority of them use Energy Weapons.
What? A huge amount of Enclave troopers both on and off the Enclave itself use Gauss pistols or rifles. They'll go through that Tesla armor like it was tinfoil.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Secret Ooze posted:

Another option is to rush them with your shotgun. IIRC one point-blank shotgun round is enough to kill them. Keep yourself within pretty close range of them and they will stick to their melee attack, which comes with a pretty apparent windup.

It also does a lot less damage than their lightning bolts.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Command and Conquer: Tiberium Sun

- Build 10 ORCA bombers, and then attack the enemy base. Simple as that. No matter what, they will not have enough anti air firepower to stop you from crippling their base.

- Blue tiberium is explosive. And deadly. Fill up a harvester full of blue tiberium, and park it next to the enemy construction yard. It should be armored enough to make it into the base, and the AI will constantly attack it. The resulting explosion (or perhaps you need two, don't remember) is guaranteed to destroy their construction yard.

- Especially online, pavement is your friend.

Oblivion

- Need money? Be a total kleptomaniac. Seriously, steal everything. Raid basements and steal all their food, make a bunch of useless potions out of them, and then sell them. You'll get rich before you know it, and get a nice alchemy boost as well.

- EASY LOCKPICKING: Instead of randomly pressing A and hoping your pick doesn't break, watch the way the tumblers fall back into place. Notice how they fall back into place at different speeds? When you see the tumbler fall back down at its fastest speed, that's your cue to go for it. For some reason, picking a tumbler just after it falls back down at the fastest speed will succeed 85-90% of the time. You should now have little trouble breaking into the hardest locks with no security skill.

- Do the ogre's ancestry quest (the one in the Arena) as soon as possible. It's easy, and you get an insanely powerful mace from it.

BioShock

- After killing a Big Daddy and rescuing/horribly violating his Little Sister, the Big Daddy will always respawn. That said, you don't need to fight or sneak past them. They won't hurt you if you don't hurt them.

Doom

- Shoot the Cyberdemon until it dies.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

OilSlick posted:

Doom

- Shoot the Cyberdemon until it dies.

Thats more of a protip than an faq right there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

-Alt fire pistol is never realy worth it.

The pistol has alt fire? It just fires the same way when I use it.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

The pistol has alt fire? It just fires the same way when I use it.

It shoots a lot faster but with a much bigger spread. I'd say it's pretty good at close range.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Up close you've got the shotgun or SMG which are going to be the primary weapons you swap between anyway. Even before you get them the crowbar's probably better.

The pistol's mainly good as a cheap longer ranged weapon without the harsh ammo restrictions the other long-range stuff has. If you get surprised alt-fire may help, but as I recall the clip's so small you may as well try to headshot with primary fire or weaponswap.

With half-life basically

Go for headshots

Use the "swap to previous weapon" button because the weapon selection screen's kind of a pain until you get used to it

The game's rocket jump is really that laser gun that charges up. It's called the Gauss, the charged up beam can go through walls and will launch you if you jump then fire it at the ground.

Guns behave vastly differently in multi-player

Some guns share ammo, most don't. I think the glock and SMG do, and the gauss and egon gun do.

When you get to opposing force, the barnacle gun hooks on to biological stuff only, and it's fun but unreliable against enemies. The teleport gun will teleport anyone it hits directly, but the splash damage from hitting the wall next to them is usually a kill. Secondary fire teleports you to another area, which is different depending where you use it and leads to some easter eggs.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

yook posted:

When you get to opposing force, the barnacle gun hooks on to biological stuff only, and it's fun but unreliable against enemies. The teleport gun will teleport anyone it hits directly, but the splash damage from hitting the wall next to them is usually a kill. Secondary fire teleports you to another area, which is different depending where you use it and leads to some easter eggs.

There will be a different area in between every "loading..." section. Most will actually be one of three generic rooms, but some will be actually be unique. Just give it a try every time the game loads a new level.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
So I picked up Persona 3 FES after it was finally released over here, and I'd like some tips for it, especially compared to the SMT games I've played (SMT3, DDS1).

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
How about for Mark- I mean Max Payne 2? If it matters, I have played Max Payne 1.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Vander posted:

How about for Mark- I mean Max Payne 2? If it matters, I have played Max Payne 1.

One tip to keep in mind is that the slo-mo dive is a lot less useful in Max Payne 2 than in Max Payne 1. What is more useful is to just activate your bullet time and kill bad guys. Also, if you abuse quick save, the game becomes really easy so do not.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
ADOM
- Don't panic. You're not dumb, the game really is that complex. It's the whole point.
- Everyone dies a lot, especially at first.
- You can, and should, eat corpses. You can safely eat the corpses of every common creature except kobolds and rats. Even raw.
- If you keep dying early on, try playing a troll, especially a troll barbarian. They're tough enough to survive a lot of the early game gotchas the game will throw at you.
- Your first three talents should be Alert, Miser, Treasure Hunter, in that order. Treasure Hunter is the best talent in the game. (The other two are prerequisites.)
- Spear and shield is probably the best weapon combination for almost every class. When in doubt, go with that.
- You can make holy water by dropping water (or "watery potion," which is just unidentified water) on the altar of a god who likes you. Anything dipped in holy water will become blessed. A lot of items become much better when blessed, and it also allows you to remove (previously) cursed equipment.
- Check out the ADOM Guidebook, and don't be too afraid of spoilers. The game is a lot more fun once you know how things work.
- Do not pursue Lu Bu. He summons minotaur mages and mimic hiveminds.

Zero000
Mar 8, 2008

Woof.
Gunz: The Duel
-Why the gently caress are you playing this game
-Oh right it's free
-Seriously, uninstall this game if you were thinking that this was a fun "Matrix" like third person shooter

-Still playing? Learn K-style. Only way to win, you hear other people blab about how there are other styles. Ignore them since they are pretty much useless
-Be prepared for hand cramps/keyboard destruction/Carpal tunnel
-Be prepared for a egotistic online community
-STEEP LEARNING CURVE
-Do not pursue Lu Bu
-Your shots aren't hitting? Blame the netcode, learning to understand the lag is 50% of the game.
- ww ww ww ww ww ww ww ww ww ww ww ww ww ww ww ww aa dd aa dd ss aa dd aa ss aa dd aa2dd 1 aaa3dd31 aa2dd 1aa3dd1 aa2d 13aa3dd 1aa3dd 1aar r2r3 r2r3r2r3r2r3r2r3r2r3r2r3r2 repeat
-Well if you're still playing, learn all the drat "moves" and enjoy the lovely game.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Burnout Paradise

* Do all burning routes as soon as you get new cars. You unlock cool variants of the cars and they get harder to do as you progress in license ranks as more traffic appears on the roads. You also only have to do them once so it greatly reduces the amount of stuff you need to do to get your elite license.
* Stunt jumps are the easiest of the "collectables" to do and doing all of them nets you a pretty sweet car that will see you through a lot of stuff.
* Aggression cars are usually the best for Marked Man events. Slow and steady will see you through most of them. When you get the real tank vehicles like the Carson Van it will be very hard for the cars to knock you off course. The faster you go the easier it will be for them.
* 90% of people online use the police F1 car so unless you have it yourself you're probably going to be vastly outclassed until you do. There's occassionally people out there who realize that using it exclusively is pretty lame.
* The key to stunt runs is not to crash and do not hold down the boost. Tap boost when your combo is about to end and it will reset the gauge, giving you more time.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Vander posted:

Shooting any gun under bullet time will cause Max Payne to do this accelerated reloading animation where he just spins around. This is very useful with the double-barreled sawed shotgun because you then end up with a semi-automatic sawed-off. Blast blast, spin-reload, repeat.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
Someone made a request for Wasteland a while back that wasn't fulfilled, and I would like to second it at this point. I had no problem jumping into Fallout without third party help but Wasteland seems a tad more complicated.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I like checking out the Let's Play thread for advice exactly like this. The Wasteland LP had some good tips:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2408289

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vander posted:

Max Payne 2's bullet time works differently than the first game in that the more you kill enemies while using it the slower the time becomes. So if you're fighting a room full of guys keep it on as long as possible.

There's a secret ending that you can only get if you beat it on the hardest difficulty which is not available when you first start a game.

Stick around and watch all the TV shows, they're much better in 2 than in 1 and oddly enough I think one of them would have been a really cool show in real life (Address Unknown.)

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

I have never played Master of Orion 2 (never could find the drat thing). Today, I found it at a used bookstore, so any advice before I install would be great (I have played the first one, and sadly the third one as well).

ChirpChirpCheep
Apr 22, 2008
Advice on GTA: Vice City would be appreciated!

Torrim
Jun 24, 2007
I am on INTERNET.

Ddraig posted:

Burnout Paradise

* Do all burning routes as soon as you get new cars. You unlock cool variants of the cars and they get harder to do as you progress in license ranks as more traffic appears on the roads. You also only have to do them once so it greatly reduces the amount of stuff you need to do to get your elite license.
* Stunt jumps are the easiest of the "collectables" to do and doing all of them nets you a pretty sweet car that will see you through a lot of stuff.
* Aggression cars are usually the best for Marked Man events. Slow and steady will see you through most of them. When you get the real tank vehicles like the Carson Van it will be very hard for the cars to knock you off course. The faster you go the easier it will be for them.
* 90% of people online use the police F1 car so unless you have it yourself you're probably going to be vastly outclassed until you do. There's occassionally people out there who realize that using it exclusively is pretty lame.
* The key to stunt runs is not to crash and do not hold down the boost. Tap boost when your combo is about to end and it will reset the gauge, giving you more time.

Those stunt runs are almost impossible, but it's a good thing I haven't done any of the burning routes because even though they're harder, it's more stunt runs I don't have to do. One I can actually get more than 10% of the points.

At least that's what I'm thinking. 110 events doesn't mean "every single event" right? I know that it takes that much to get your Elite, but I think there's considerably more events if you include the Burning Routes I just haven't counted them yet.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Zero000 posted:

Gunz: The Duel
-Why the gently caress are you playing this game
-Oh right it's free
-Seriously, uninstall this game if you were thinking that this was a fun "Matrix" like third person shooter

-Still playing? Learn K-style. Only way to win, you hear other people blab about how there are other styles. Ignore them since they are pretty much useless
-Be prepared for hand cramps/keyboard destruction/Carpal tunnel
-Be prepared for a egotistic online community
-STEEP LEARNING CURVE
-Do not pursue Lu Bu
-Your shots aren't hitting? Blame the netcode, learning to understand the lag is 50% of the game.
- ww ww ww ww ww ww ww ww ww ww ww ww ww ww ww ww aa dd aa dd ss aa dd aa ss aa dd aa2dd 1 aaa3dd31 aa2dd 1aa3dd1 aa2d 13aa3dd 1aa3dd 1aar r2r3 r2r3r2r3r2r3r2r3r2r3r2r3r2 repeat
-Well if you're still playing, learn all the drat "moves" and enjoy the lovely game.

even though this game is incredibly lovely there's still something mesmerising about repeatedly flying up a wall while shooting someone else

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

zrrgin posted:

I have never played Master of Orion 2 (never could find the drat thing). Today, I found it at a used bookstore, so any advice before I install would be great (I have played the first one, and sadly the third one as well).

Master of Orion 2
-Call your friends ahead of time and let them know that you are going to be unavailable for a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

Advice on GTA: Vice City would be appreciated!
*Lance Vance is a buggy piece of rear end. Expect him to clip through the ground, be horrible at pathfinding, or teleport through stuff. Save your game before doing his missions or kill him if he turns maverick.
*The pizza bike mission besides a fast food building near a bridge, can increase your health if you can do them all at once.
*The Vigilante mission can increase your armor and can be done in parts.
*A certain enemy gang (bug) will appear near the Kaufman Cabs property, if you complete a certain series of missions in which that gang will then hate you. You won't need to finish that set of missions if that gang now wants you dead, so you can reload and avoid that annoyance.
*Hookers give you 125 health at most.
*Do the Malibu missions property first, to get access to the best weapons in the game at Phil's.
*Helicopters are your real best friends.